Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

GigaPeon posted:

Has anyone ever bought one of these EVERY AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN RECIPE EVER! books before?

https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/complete-atk-22.html?sourcekey=CAH1DTVA0

$20 seems like a decent deal.

i just got my copy in the mail. it is nearly 1200 pages and weighs enough that I'll be put against the wall during climate change mob trials for what it did to forests. good looking out! im looking forward to trying it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I like that there's a whole chapter on pork chops.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Eat This Glob posted:

i just got my copy in the mail. it is nearly 1200 pages and weighs enough that I'll be put against the wall during climate change mob trials for what it did to forests. good looking out! im looking forward to trying it out

Thanks to this book's carbon footprint and recipes, I was able to grill up some fajitas outside in Midwestern December!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

GigaPeon posted:

Thanks to this book's carbon footprint and recipes, I was able to grill up some fajitas outside in Midwestern December!

You used the book for fuel?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Haritsuuu on tiktok is like if someone taught Masaokis how to actually cook and it's equal parts horrifying and fascinating

e: more like 80% horrifying if I'm being honest

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
For some reason I decided to watch the new Bon Appetit video because it was Chris trying to recreate a Matty Matheson dish. While being a pretty huge douche through most of the video, he really put the cherry on top when he blamed Matty, who has been clean and sober for years, for not writing down “salt” in part of his recipe because he was “probably high”

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Stelio Kontos posted:

For some reason I decided to watch the new Bon Appetit video because it was Chris trying to recreate a Matty Matheson dish. While being a pretty huge douche through most of the video, he really put the cherry on top when he blamed Matty, who has been clean and sober for years, for not writing down “salt” in part of his recipe because he was “probably high”

Wow, guess he's still a piece of poo poo huh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a greasy lovely calzone with ranch dip. I'd think it was invented by a stoner too. Not sure why the producers picked that dish for the challenge. It was also drowning in salty fatty nduja sausage and hot sauce doused over everything. Really don't need any extra salt in that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a greasy lovely calzone with ranch dip. I'd think it was invented by a stoner too. Not sure why the producers picked that dish for the challenge. It was also drowning in salty fatty nduja sausage and hot sauce doused over everything. Really don't need any extra salt in that.

Plus its one of the dishes that cholula contracted Matty to make, hence why he's just splashing it on top of the ranch dip for good measure - like 'gently caress it fine, you want hot sauce in this recipe? here's your loving hot sauce'

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stelio Kontos posted:

Chris has never not been a piece of poo poo. It's unclear whether he was one before working for Anna Wintour prior to BA but he sure as hell is one now.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
he seems fine, why is he bad
why should he know or care if some loud loser is sober

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

helsabot posted:

he seems fine, why is he bad
why should he know or care if some loud loser is sober

He's probably a fine person – but a lot of folks (myself included) soured on him because he and Brad stuck around when nearly everyone else at BA jumped ship once folks started speaking up about racial discrimination in pay, opportunities, etc. etc. There was a solidarity thing to the exodus, and if you read between the lines of what those exiting said, seems like he may not have been someone fighting for his colleagues struggles. That is speculation.

& yeah, it's hard to fault him for knowing the guy is sober, but it is something you'd think the editor might catch and not include.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's fine in the video and I didn't see any malice from him whatsoever. He was lovely when the whole sohla thing happened and I think he was part of the management decisions that made her leave.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Is Brad still at BA or is he just rolling around in advertisement cash from outdoorsy gear?

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Brad's still there, and seems to be their biggest star. He's also bought a farm that he lives on so he's shooting up there. Probably doing quite alright.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

The World Inferno posted:

& yeah, it's hard to fault him for knowing the guy is sober, but it is something you'd think the editor might catch and not include.

This is mostly my problem here. If I’m Matty, I’m flattered that someone is trying to recreate my recipe blindfolded, that’s fuckin neat, but a comment about forgetting to write down salt… in the part of the recipe that didn’t call for salt, and tossing out that I must have been high when I pride myself on my sobriety? That’s pretty lovely.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i can't imagine the world where matty gives a poo poo what the pencil neck freak thinks

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cataffy posted:

Brad's still there, and seems to be their biggest star. He's also bought a farm that he lives on so he's shooting up there. Probably doing quite alright.

when i checked their channel out of curiosity it's interesting how the biggest videos by viewcount are all this new sommelier they have that reviews cheap wines or gives advice on wines which actually seems p chill and good.

brad and chris do the best otherwise but have almost never cracked 1 million views since everything went down, when before even a random recipe by a guest host could get 3+ million. their channel did fall off a lot.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Stringent posted:

i can't imagine the world where matty gives a poo poo what the pencil neck freak thinks

ding ding ding ding

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Chris was specifically called out by some people leaving BA as being lovely.

E: like Sohla said he wouldn't hire someone in another junior position because he was upset at how fast Sohla got popular.

Grem fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 2, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grem posted:

E: like Sohla said he wouldn't hire someone in another junior position because he was upset at how fast Sohla got popular.

Yeah this was specifically what I was thinking of.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

El-Waylly’s job at Bon Appétit wasn’t meant for someone with so much experience, but she took it anyway. In May, her $50,000-a-year salary was bumped to $60,000 when it became clear she was doing work above her pay grade. About five months into the job, she says, management wanted to create a more junior position underneath her to do the cross-testing she had originally been hired for.

“They really wanted to hire someone Black, which I know you’re not allowed to say legally, out loud,” she says. “And Chris Morocco [the director of the Test Kitchen] directly told me he didn’t like how quickly I moved up, so he wanted to make sure this person would never be allowed to develop recipes.” As she puts it, management didn’t want another “Sohla problem.” (Through a Condé Nast spokesperson, Morocco stated that this conversation did not happen.)

https://www.vulture.com/article/sohla-el-waylly-profile.html

Bleh.

To cleanse the pallet on a related note, here's Sohla vs. Priya doing fancy gingerbread(?) houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SBSSfbih8U

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Speaking of gingerbread houses, I know Try Guys content is mostly cursed but the charcuterie house and Eugene's creation are maybe the two coolest gingerbread houses I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxns2YxP9jM

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i was honestly shocked when i learned i was making a tad more than sohla after her raise at a much more niche publication. while i get roped into doing voiceover stuff for our marketing team once in a while, im not carrying a massively popular youtube channel for no money. and i don't have to make my salary stretch in manhattan or commute to the world trade center for less than a grand a week before taxes

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
i just remembered when reply all started their series exposing all the poo poo at ba and only made it through like 2 episodes before getting their own poo poo exposed LOL

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm weirdly obsessed with Masterchef. (this started two days ago). have any of the winners gone on to do big things, or is more of a one and done type deal? Some of the contestants seem like they could easily go off and have good youtube channels. I wish the show had more of the judges schooling the contestants by making dishes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Which twitch streamer got you into it?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I'm weirdly obsessed with Masterchef. (this started two days ago). have any of the winners gone on to do big things, or is more of a one and done type deal? Some of the contestants seem like they could easily go off and have good youtube channels. I wish the show had more of the judges schooling the contestants by making dishes.

some of them do, usually the winners do alright.

the one cooking competition show in the US that seems to completely blow up people's careers is top chef. half of the judges on current cooking shows are former contestants or winners of it, like richard blais on ramsay's new, incredibly stupid seeming, 3 floor cooking competition show that premiered over the weekend.

top chef contestants tend to already be accomplished chefs who are running restaurants tho, where masterchef is all home cook randos.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ailumao posted:

some of them do, usually the winners do alright.

the one cooking competition show in the US that seems to completely blow up people's careers is top chef. half of the judges on current cooking shows are former contestants or winners of it, like richard blais on ramsay's new, incredibly stupid seeming, 3 floor cooking competition show that premiered over the weekend.

top chef contestants tend to already be accomplished chefs who are running restaurants tho, where masterchef is all home cook randos.

Blais isn’t even the only TC alum on that show, Nyesha Arrington was on Top Chef: Texas. I also watched the new Alex Guarnaschelli show premiere and Eric Adjepong (who was on two seasons of TC) is the host there. Getting onto Top Chef period these days is a huge career boost. Not quite as many people pop up from the first few seasons when they were still finding their footing but I think season 4 was the one that really raised the stakes. Blais, Stephanie Izard, Dale Talde, Antonia Lofaso, all of them are TV regulars, and even the ones who aren’t are still pretty prominent. Even Spike Mendelssohn who, to my deep disgust, is starting a stupid loving NFT thing with Tom.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lmao i guess i didn't see that season. i knew her from like, 1000 other things and didnt know she was also a top chef alum. more proof that show is the real career booster.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This line of conversation reminded me that a recent season of Masterchef (I think the last one pre-pandemic) had two Iowans in the cast, including an optometrist who my sister had recently done a job shadow with, so I checked to see what they were up to. The optometrist is back to being an optometrist but also does private chef work sometimes, but the other one (who was like 19) is now a pastry chef somewhere around where she’s from, which isn’t exactly hosting a Food Network show but it sounds like she’s on the path.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not much on the food television front, but I went to a fantastic "restaurant" run by 3 MasterChef competitors, https://frankunderground.com/. Sadly it's been on hiatus for awhile.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was watching the new Kenji where he makes beef stew today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdlVi-VzPY

It looks like a pretty decent stew, but I don't think I'd seen anyone brown meat 'in steaks' to then braise (for something like a stew/chili), instead of already cubed before. It seems like a good technique but also obvious enough that I wonder why people don't already do this. Though I guess a lot of Kenji stuff is like that?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The steak braising method has been part of SE's beef stew recipe for years. I do admit that that's the only place I've ever seen it. I feel like it's pretty obvious though--nobody bats an eye when a recipe calls for you to brown the chicken thighs first then chop them into cubes after, for instance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I always assumed more surface area = more flavor so I kept using cubes of beef. Big slabs of meat does sound less laborious too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think it's just a little more time and labor intensive to cut it after it's cooked, and serious eats is certainly not against that kind of stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think one reason it's not that common is that a lot of people believe the myth that searing is to "seal in the moisture" or whatever, which would presumably require you to sear all sides evenly.

For this approach to make sense you have to recognize that it's just for flavor so it's not a problem to cut the meat after searing and expose unseared edges as long as you have plenty of searing overall.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Western cuisine loves to sear the gently caress out of meat. More sear is better always.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I remember a Kenji article from way back where he mentions that cubing the meat first, searing on all sides, then braising for a long time leads to slightly dry beef cubes once it's done. Searing in steaks and then cubing it provides browned flavor while keeping the final product as moist and tender as possible.

Okay, so it wasn't that long ago the article was posted but there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Casu Marzu posted:

Western cuisine loves to sear the gently caress out of meat. More sear is better always.

Correct