Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'll be bummed if Legion dies but I mean as it stands it's a complete casual game with Stormtroopers and Rebel Dudes and stuff so it just means I'd be playing at home more than at the flgs.

I just wish I could play as non-named Jedi characters. A Jedi vs Sith game set in the KTOR time period or something would be more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just wish I could play as non-named Jedi characters. A Jedi vs Sith game set in the KTOR time period or something would be more interesting.

Unnamed Jedi stand a decent chance of appearing in the Clone War era. And yeah, I'd be very down for a Old Republic era setting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Iceclaw posted:

Unnamed Jedi stand a decent chance of appearing in the Clone War era. And yeah, I'd be very down for a Old Republic era setting.

Yeah, getting a half-dozen just munitions-grade background Jedi like the guys who show up to wave glowsticks on Geonosis would make a good Special Forces Republic unit to help break up all the black and white of various qualities of clone troop.

They mollified one of my complaints about commanders when they introduced the "Generic Officers," so if you wanted you could set up a scenario where it wasn't like Emperor Palpatine personally overseeing some backwater skirmish. I don't know if they'd actually do a "generic Jedi general" tho.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

They could make the officer for the GAR a jedi, letting him either be a cheap commander or an addon to a squad, yes, if they do the same box than for Rebs/Empire.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I can see a pack of generic padawans or knights being a thing. Preferably with head options for a bit of customisation.

Likewise the imperials should get the sith hunters from Rebels.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Legion introduced Skirmish rules too.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/21/shifting-strategies/
500 points, 3x3 mat, 5 turns, 1 commander, 2 to 4 corps units, 0-1 operatives or heavies, 0-2 special forces or support.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: holy poo poo I need to hit refresh before I reply.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 4, 2019

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

That sounds like Epic, yeah. Does it speed play up significantly?

Quite a bit, yeah. There's a lot less random rolling, things like charges aren't random rolls and a full squad will generally have 2-4 dice worth of attacks. The only issue imo is that characters are a bit too easy to kill and some things are a bit too simplified, but overall it's better than 40k at a lot of things.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

NovemberMike posted:

charges aren't random rolls

I'm sold

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
So, what killed FFG?

Being bought by Asmodee?
GW geting the once in a lifetime event of being actually good?
Rian Johnson?
All of the three happening at the same time?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Portus posted:

So, what killed FFG?

Being bought by Asmodee?
GW geting the once in a lifetime event of being actually good?
Rian Johnson?
All of the three happening at the same time?

FFG is doing fine? GW getting good has definitely hurt there very minis offerings but they do a lot more than scrape the bottom of the barrel looking for more X-wing ships to produce.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

FFG is doing fine? GW getting good has definitely hurt there very minis offerings but they do a lot more than scrape the bottom of the barrel looking for more X-wing ships to produce.

Yeah FFG is fine. X-Wing has dropped off from its previous status as the only game likely to challenge 40k but it's still around in some places, apparently, and it doesn't really have direct competitors in the fleet-game space that aren't way, way dead.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Portus posted:

Rian Johnson?

What do you mean?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

As far as I can see, the community here in the UK for X-Wing is still quite strong.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

TTerrible posted:

What do you mean?

They're talking about the director of the galaxy's slowest police chase the Last Jedi. The movie wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good, either, and that might've influenced people to stay away from other related merch, including tabletop games.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Aniodia posted:

They're talking about the director of the galaxy's slowest police chase the Last Jedi. The movie wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good, either, and that might've influenced people to stay away from other related merch, including tabletop games.

Weird of people to boycott a miniatures game over a slightly shaky movie release. Yikes.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
More just exhaustion of the franchise and a lack of general enthusiasm.

Will Baby Yoda turn it around for them though?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I would die for Baby Yoda.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Besides, the most concerning news are about x-wing v2 reedition ships being cancelled, which might be because there is simply too much of the v1 equivalent still around. The rest is usual FFG stock mismanagement and end-of-year-plus-chinese-new-year kerfukkle.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

More just exhaustion of the franchise and a lack of general enthusiasm.

Will Baby Yoda turn it around for them though?

Often, I'd guess because of the difficulties in licencing approval process for merch of the world's most recognizable property, they seem to strike while the iron is cold: stuff coming out months and months after something drops, or not knowing which characters are going to be important getting only bare bones outline info prior to a half dozen rewrites and upgrade cards or releases mechanically pushing minor characters and underselling the important ones.

They might have lucked into good timing with the Legion Cassian Andor/K2 Commander pack for Legion in the pipe with the series in production though.

Make a skirmish scenario pack with TM, MOff Gideon, and a Baby Yoda objective marker, IMO where you can just add your stormies and <s>rebel</s> New Republic forces to have a vaguely thematic tabletop battle that ties in with the fresh hotness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even as a 7 year old hyped for Episode I and a 10 year old for II I remember all the loving toys coming out long before the movies. We’d pick our favourite new ships and characters and LEGO sets and basically have a headcanon and it was a crapshoot if your new favourite was important or not.

I’d have thought Star Wars merch would have figured out a better system by now.

RIP Naboo starfighter, you were sick while you lasted

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Even as a 7 year old hyped for Episode I and a 10 year old for II I remember all the loving toys coming out long before the movies. We’d pick our favourite new ships and characters and LEGO sets and basically have a headcanon and it was a crapshoot if your new favourite was important or not.

It’s worth remembering that in the 90s lucasfilm was basically a licensing organization first and a movie studio second- now that the mouse owns the IP I think a lot of the merchandising is in house, so 3P licenses like FFGs are sort of an afterthought. I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney keeps a lot of spoiler-y stuff away from them until the public knows about it, which makes going to market on time extremely difficult or outright impossible.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Now that Star War is branching out to serialized streaming "television," at least some of the potential tie-ins become "evergreen." If they don't get to market with a Duke Dirtfarmer figure from Mandolorian Season 2 and he turns into an important guy who will go into season 3 they have some lead time built in for it to still be in the fan consciousness front and center instead of "here's the cool guy from that movie that came out 8 months ago."

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Having played a lot of X-Wing and Legion I feel like that demographic of Star Wars fans that also goes in deep on the tabletop stuff like 95% of the time doesn't give a poo poo about timing of product and literally everything that has the words "Star Wars" somewhere on it is evergreen for them. They'll defend the prequels to death and happily tell you all about clone trooper armor color schemes and their favorite old EU characters that they think ought to be in the games and whatever else. They don't forget anything, and you release anything they recognize and they'll snap it up.

It's definitely a built in advantage of the IP, but it doesn't speak to the more casual fans or whether or not it's enough to sustain the games for any meaningful amount of time though. Just an anecdotal observation.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm slightly older but same.

Guess who thought Jar Jar had a rad-as-gently caress character design. :smithicide:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

FFG killed both Netrunner and the crazy good breakfast sandwich they had at the Games Center within the same year. They have found a powerful enemy in me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

food court bailiff posted:

FFG killed both Netrunner and the crazy good breakfast sandwich they had at the Games Center within the same year. They have found a powerful enemy in me.

This is a good username/post combo

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

canyoneer posted:

This is a good username/post combo

I understand his rage now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Legions latest big product announvement... is droid/clone themed paint sets.

Which is doubly a joke since for the begining hobbyist this is targeted to wanting to get their plastic armor mans done a thing of white and black contrast is easy peasy and will produce a better result than acrylics for a beginner.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Legions latest big product announvement... is droid/clone themed paint sets.

Which is doubly a joke since for the begining hobbyist this is targeted to wanting to get their plastic armor mans done a thing of white and black contrast is easy peasy and will produce a better result than acrylics for a beginner.

I can't imagine the Venn diagram of "people who play Star Wars toy soldiers or would like to" and "people who already own toy soldier paint, or know where to get some" isn't pretty much a circle.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

I can't imagine the Venn diagram of "people who play Star Wars toy soldiers or would like to" and "people who already own toy soldier paint, or know where to get some" isn't pretty much a circle.

I imagine there are some people for whom the brand brought them into wargames, but that's a the most miniscule crescent moon sliver outside of your circle.

They announced a slightly more exciting objective/terrain set today.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
In M:TG news, LSV (pretty widely known community figure, pro player and part owner of one of the largest web stores for magic cards) had a riff on a recent stream mentioning that this year was a bit of a bloodbath for magic retailers. He mentioned that a couple of their competitors had layoffs and there was a spate of LGS closures that are likely attributable to Magic sales drops. As for the drop itself he didn’t have a clearly defined cause but thought it was a combination of all the bannings and then Magic Arena eating into paper product sales to some extent.

If this keeps up it could have a pretty big impact on a lot of other games since Magic is often the golden goose that keeps LGSes afloat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I was rather surprised that both Walmart and Kroegers no longer carry MtG.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

In hindsight you could really make the case that 2019 was one of the worst years for magic ever, which is wild for a game that’s been around for like 80% of my life.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

tallkidwithglasses posted:

In M:TG news, LSV (pretty widely known community figure, pro player and part owner of one of the largest web stores for magic cards) had a riff on a recent stream mentioning that this year was a bit of a bloodbath for magic retailers. He mentioned that a couple of their competitors had layoffs and there was a spate of LGS closures that are likely attributable to Magic sales drops. As for the drop itself he didn’t have a clearly defined cause but thought it was a combination of all the bannings and then Magic Arena eating into paper product sales to some extent.

If this keeps up it could have a pretty big impact on a lot of other games since Magic is often the golden goose that keeps LGSes afloat.

I'd put just as much of it on Hasbro directly moving to compete and pull sales from FLGSes. They've been offering more products direct and doing sales directly through Amazon, which started in late 2018.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

My worthless armchair analysis of MtG has basically always been that they need to go apeshit on slashing prices of the secondhand market and aggressively try to pull in new players. You can't ignore the ubiquitous nature of the game and small table footprint and all that, but I was straight up financially pushed out of it around 2015 with a combination of grad school and standard decks reaching prices of $500 to $600. You can justify prices on stuff like wargames and miniatures because there's value in the hobby aspect and having something with a greater sense of tangibility and aesthetic enjoyment than slips of cardboard you keep in a box. I never even considered touching an eternal format due to the extreme discomfort and inability to accept potentially thousands of dollars in the form of 75 pieces of cardboard.

Even if it's somewhat insincere PR, Wizards has at least made more of an effort to be more inclusive and shake the stigma of the less pleasant aspects of its playerbase, but the salient point I've seen made several times is that they're still doing some pretty egregious gatekeeping with the simple nature of their pricing model. I understand the sterile businesslike approach of not wanting to disrupt a status quo that's perfectly profitable, but we're well past the point where I have to imagine they'd do a lot better with a real shakeup on their distribution model. I feel like it's becoming more and more evident with the very overt money-grabbing "premium" products being pumped out at a breakneck pace.

The game's obviously not going anywhere anytime soon, but imagine how many more chairs would be filled up from little FNMs to big grand prix if it wasn't so much about having the wherewithal.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

LingcodKilla posted:

Weird, the nearby Walmart still has a decent supply.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Weird, the nearby Walmart still has a decent supply.

West Washington state, granted I’ve only tried two of both shops but they got rid of pokemon also at Walmart here.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gumdrop Larry posted:

My worthless armchair analysis of MtG has basically always been that they need to go apeshit on slashing prices of the secondhand market and aggressively try to pull in new players. You can't ignore the ubiquitous nature of the game and small table footprint and all that, but I was straight up financially pushed out of it around 2015 with a combination of grad school and standard decks reaching prices of $500 to $600. You can justify prices on stuff like wargames and miniatures because there's value in the hobby aspect and having something with a greater sense of tangibility and aesthetic enjoyment than slips of cardboard you keep in a box. I never even considered touching an eternal format due to the extreme discomfort and inability to accept potentially thousands of dollars in the form of 75 pieces of cardboard.

Even if it's somewhat insincere PR, Wizards has at least made more of an effort to be more inclusive and shake the stigma of the less pleasant aspects of its playerbase, but the salient point I've seen made several times is that they're still doing some pretty egregious gatekeeping with the simple nature of their pricing model. I understand the sterile businesslike approach of not wanting to disrupt a status quo that's perfectly profitable, but we're well past the point where I have to imagine they'd do a lot better with a real shakeup on their distribution model. I feel like it's becoming more and more evident with the very overt money-grabbing "premium" products being pumped out at a breakneck pace.

The game's obviously not going anywhere anytime soon, but imagine how many more chairs would be filled up from little FNMs to big grand prix if it wasn't so much about having the wherewithal.

Mythic rares were the worst drat thing. Before they were added the secondary market for Standard was bad enough.

I used to think that Magic was above the kind of Yugioh poo poo like 1 per box God cards, but I guess the bean counters saw how that sort of thing drives sales of sealed boxes - drat the effect that it has on Constructed.

I realize they added mythic rares a long time ago but I stopped playing a long time ago because that kind of poo poo made Standard even more of a treadmill. I have a lot of respect for how well Magic was and is designed but every time I maybe think of playing it again I see previews of new mythic rares from an upcoming set and it reminds me of how I don't actually want to spend that much to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

LingcodKilla posted:

West Washington state, granted I’ve only tried two of both shops but they got rid of pokemon also at Walmart here.

Could be that they took them down and are hiding them behind a counter to prevent theft- thats what one of the other walmarts in my city does. Not that I buy from them in the first place, their prices are horrendous.