Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh my gosh these enormous mags are so cute.

Is this a game like Genshin Impact that's attempting to ape the BotW formula? That's the feeling I'm getting so far and I dig it, although I doubt it's going to have the same phenomenal environment design that makes it viable to play and explore with all the quest markers and waypoints turned off. I don't know if it's a bug but the game won't let me turn off quest markers and waypoints, it just turns them right back on when I close the menu after doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It feels more Xenoblade X than BotW, to me

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I haven't played XCX so that could be the case. As for what reminds me of BotW specifically, off the top of my head:

• Terrain features in the distance that are begging for you to climb them
  • Gliding being part of the default moveset that you use a lot while exploring
  • Ryuker towers which are your fast travel points that you have to activate for each new area
  • Challenge shrines
  • Wild game separate from the enemies that you can harvest for cooking materials
  • Shiny mineral deposits sticking out of rocks that you hit for crafting materials

None of this is bad even if it doesn't match up to BotW because to me that game was a masterclass in open world game design. As long as I can turn off minimaps and objective waypoints so I can get lost while exploring I'm in heaven.

Even on the lowest settings I think it looks pretty. I'm slowly turning things on that aren't annoying blur/DoF effects and it continues to be smooth as silk on my PC from 2013.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So I noticed one of the testing milestones is to hit 1050 power but considering how little you gain from levels or upgrading a piece of gear am I missing something or is hitting that 1050 goal going to be like, level 15/15 with your gear heavily upgraded?

Overall I'm really digging NGE and it seems like you can wall kick multiple times when trying to climb things (probably gets reset by a small ledge on a hill?) so I'm hoping this leads to people getting to all sorts of places unexpectedly, and going out of bounds.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It feels more Xenoblade X than BotW, to me

This game is the MMO XCX wanted to be and I'm down with that. Plus there's no Tatsu, so this is 10000% better already.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even though I am level 95 now, I have never actually touched the storyline. :P I am doing that this morning though, but I am understanding why I never bothered with it too.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh nooo, Rappies actually die in this game instead of just running away when you mug them after they play dead.

I don't know how to feel about this game any more.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2021

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oh nooo, Rappies actually due in this game instead of just running away when you mug them after they play dead.

I don't know how to feel about this game any more.
They also have a unique animation for every status effect, and they are all amazing.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

It's PSO2.5 alright :v: with some Xenoblade and MGS VR Missions thrown in for good measure.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

So I noticed one of the testing milestones is to hit 1050 power but considering how little you gain from levels or upgrading a piece of gear am I missing something or is hitting that 1050 goal going to be like, level 15/15 with your gear heavily upgraded?

I'm at level 10 and have 1053 battle power. My weapon is just a 2* sword+wand at +30 with potential level 1 and all 3 affix slots used. Make sure you're grinding and affixing your units, too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saagonsa posted:

I'm at level 10 and have 1053 battle power. My weapon is just a 2* sword+wand at +30 with potential level 1 and all 3 affix slots used. Make sure you're grinding and affixing your units, too.

Guess that's it. I think my 2* sword is only +3-4 since I haven't been finding/buying a bunch of gear to use as fodder to grind it up.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. You can't cook, affix, etc. using stuff in the material storage. I also don't see a bulk move command like in base PSO2. Something for the survey I guess.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Huh. You can't cook, affix, etc. using stuff in the material storage. I also don't see a bulk move command like in base PSO2. Something for the survey I guess.

So you *can* but you need to manually switch the window to material storage using the selection on top. Every time.

It kinda sucks they don't automatically group all the items like they do in the normal game, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So how far away is New Genesis from officially going live? It seems pretty barebones because all we've seen is one environment. How many open area environments are planned?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's supposedly coming out next month. I'm enjoying the beta but I think I'm done with it for now because I keep hitting the boundary walls while I'm trying to explore and check out cool stuff, and outside of running into big groups working to take down bosses the combat is really barebones with the limited photon arts and enemies to fight right now.

I mainly wanted to see how it would run on my machine and so far it looks great. I just hope the full release has enough substance to keep me hooked.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kobata posted:

So you *can* but you need to manually switch the window to material storage using the selection on top. Every time.

It kinda sucks they don't automatically group all the items like they do in the normal game, though.

Oh, thanks for this.

Just crested over 1000 BP. Not really looking forward to the next 50. Got a chance to do the UQ. Took longer than felt good.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

So how far away is New Genesis from officially going live? It seems pretty barebones because all we've seen is one environment. How many open area environments are planned?

Yeah, it's coming out in June, but a thing to keep in mind is the content in this beta is more or less the exact same as the first Japanese beta back in early February. So I wouldn't take it as any indication of how much they have done right now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One thing that would be nice is for your player character to be more emotive, especially with the improved character creator. I thought PSO2 would have more of that what with the detailed customization and the cut-in windows, but my dude is always : |

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

One thing that would be nice is for your player character to be more emotive, especially with the improved character creator. I thought PSO2 would have more of that what with the detailed customization and the cut-in windows, but my dude is always : |

While I was waiting for the UQ someone kept doing cut-ins with their KMMO glossy newman poking their tongue out while doing the "Two Pose" emote so it looked like an ahegao picture. Look forward to that!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

While I was waiting for the UQ someone kept doing cut-ins with their KMMO glossy newman poking their tongue out while doing the "Two Pose" emote so it looked like an ahegao picture. Look forward to that!

I've been expecting it since I saw what that slider did, but surprisingly I haven't seen it yet.

http://burningjustice.net/pso/mmnyah.mp4

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

"Let's date Kirito."

A good event.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Going to be hard to get the gearscore for the star gems in NGS if the mineral nodes don't respawn SEGA.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The players forming the wandering cloud of death descending on anything living in the wetlands like a swarm of locusts is great in how ridiculous it looks. You're just wandering around a peaceful grassland and then all of a sudden you get caught up with this ultraviolent posse. Before you know it you've gained five levels with a new class just in time for the urgent quest.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Okay, got my 1050 by sacrificing my subclass's weapon to Dudu. I think I'm done with NGS until there's something to do besides roaming deathball and the one tower.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh is new genesis beta going on

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Coxswain Balls posted:

• Wild game separate from the enemies that you can harvest for cooking materials
  • Shiny mineral deposits sticking out of rocks that you hit for crafting materials

How is harvesting in NGS anyway? In vanilla PSO2 it's fine half the time, the other half is a nightmare of weather effects and Emergency Codes spawning right in the middle of my fever because none of the gathering is separated from the rest of the expedition zones in any meaningful way. NGS looks to have addressed some of that, but maybe not all of it?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Harvesting in NGS for everything but rocks is just running over the glowing thing and hitting a button, not even an animation. So you can do it in combat... which is good because Resta has joined Reverser on the list of things that arn't techniques anymore, and monomates and moon atomizers are harvestable items and have a small stacking limit.

Rocks require hitting to break and can usually be found in caves and along the edges of cliffs and zones and were only rarely in the exact same location as mobs, but they were often nearby. So they could be kited onto the rock harvesting but wouldn't wander over on their own.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

For some reason I thought beta was going to last a lot longer, but nope it's ending in a few minutes. Only got to play around 3 hours but I had a blast. Definitely one of the highest quality feeling MMOs I've played in awhile.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked it though I feel like Veteran enemies should have about...20-30% less HP. The mag scan wasn't that useful either and navigating wasn't great.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

See you in a month little buddy!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Region Mag is insanely blessed

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
With NGS coming out soon, is there any point in upgrading my weapons/units in the regular PSO2?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

With NGS coming out soon, is there any point in upgrading my weapons/units in the regular PSO2?

If you have fun with regular PSO2, maybe? It's possible there's stuff to do still in there whether it's story or getting SG from titles or whatever.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Going back to regular PSO2 and it's painfully obvious how much better the zoomed out camera is for boss battles in NGS. I'm trying to solo the Crimson Fellwyrm quest to unlock some story content and I have no idea what's going on in the last part because the camera is either whipping around all over the place or I'm staring at a dragon's rear end in a top hat and I have no idea what attacks might be coming up next.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have fun with regular PSO2, maybe? It's possible there's stuff to do still in there whether it's story or getting SG from titles or whatever.

I've got Trailblazers, which seems good enough for the story. I can't cut it in the ultrahard 4-man UQ, but whatever. Just seems like my meseta might be better used on fashion than on getting a Lightweave weapon ready.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I said come in! posted:

Rumored / Leaked by SEGA date is June 9th.

Coxswain Balls posted:

See you in a month little buddy!

Watching it bounce around when its meter hits max is the best.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The shared region mag is genius. Regular mags are just something I feed to get stats and to not feel guilty about it starving when the icon flashes, but now that it can emote and it helps out everyone I go out of my way to check it out and will gladly die protecting it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lemon King posted:

Rumored / Leaked by SEGA date is June 9th.

I am not ready yet for a new Phantasy Star Online game. I actually would rather we just got PSO2 with a graphics overhaul and new content. Which I guess is actually also happening?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lol have you seen how the 'graphics upgrade' went for JP?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So I tried logging on for the first time in a while and now the game won’t start. Right after the Gameguard splash screen it just... doesn’t run. I tried restarting my computer, reinstalling it, using the tweaker, reinstalling it with the tweaker, pressing all of the troubleshooting options in the tweaker, turning off all my antivirus/firewall stuff and doing that stuff again. Nothing.

Anyone else had this problem before? If so, how did you fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I am not ready yet for a new Phantasy Star Online game. I actually would rather we just got PSO2 with a graphics overhaul and new content. Which I guess is actually also happening?

While PSO2 is fun it's also very much a game with Dreamcast era design and structure and boy does it show its age in that regard. Even friends I played PSO with (usually splitscreen on Gamecube) have a hard time getting in to PSO2 because the game just feels ancient.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So I tried logging on for the first time in a while and now the game won’t start. Right after the Gameguard splash screen it just... doesn’t run. I tried restarting my computer, reinstalling it, using the tweaker, reinstalling it with the tweaker, pressing all of the troubleshooting options in the tweaker, turning off all my antivirus/firewall stuff and doing that stuff again. Nothing.

Anyone else had this problem before? If so, how did you fix it?

If it's regular PSO2 try installing through a storefront directly and don't mess with the Tweaker because it's not actually necessary at this point. Maybe run as admin as well (shouldn't be necessary though)?