Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bellmaker posted:

I like the idea of no portrait for Pacifica given T H E E N D

Pacifica the Dawn

"Après moi, l'aube"

Actually Pacifica the Twilight makes more sense

E: it seems the Black Dawn uses a kingdom’s strengths against it. Given knowledge has repeatedly been our strongest feature I wonder how that will come into play?

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Meanwhile, economic crisis? We've ended with positive wealth once I think?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Omobono posted:

Meanwhile, economic crisis? We've ended with positive wealth once I think?
Wealth was 2nd this time around. A true sign of the end times.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Incidentally, I think I understand why destroying the blood to gold ritual caused dissent.
Cohesion and dissent are actually a measure of how much Ankist can resist or is vulnerable to the Black Dawn, which usually maps to the actual meaning of the words since an united kingdom will be able to muster its defenses more effectively than a divided one.

The ritual is how the Dawn destabilized the Sabbyian League, by causing Weimar level runaway inflation; had we kept the ritual our economy would by necessity have restructured itself somewhat away from gold, removing this particular vector of destabilization.

For the other storylines:

No doubts here, Enkhali axes will enthusiastically meet Black Dawn skulls.

A more equal society AND seers that are actually foreseeing the Black Dawn? Someone must have really hosed up with the future sight grain.

I've got nothing. I'd be curios to see the other possible ending here and why focusing on spirits instead of bodies would make Ankist more vulnerable to subversion.

No Celestina at court, no Celestina biding her time in her daughter's body, a strong and reasonably loyal emergency peacekeeping force.

Through the fourth wall, the royal family straight up can foresee things that even our Seers can't even if the attached madness garbles the message a lot.
By contrast, the other outcome would have been simple madness without clarity so free real estate for the Dawn.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 17, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

:psyduck:

One of the five Houses in the game is actually Black Dawn infiltrators.

Remember, there's 12 Houses on the Council. Just... some of them are Great Houses and some of them are Lesser Houses.

Who's to say it wasn't one of the Lesser Houses that are responsible?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

Remember, there's 12 Houses on the Council. Just... some of them are Great Houses and some of them are Lesser Houses.

Who's to say it wasn't one of the Lesser Houses that are responsible?

OOC: the game's text surrounding the Dawn and the finale. There's obviously a possible ending where Ankist falls; in such an ending, the winning House is retroactively declared part of the Black Dawn all along.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

OOC: the game's text surrounding the Dawn and the finale. There's obviously a possible ending where Ankist falls; in such an ending, the winning House is retroactively declared part of the Black Dawn all along.

OOC: Oh, yeah, but if we, the Great Houses [PC houses] all rally together in defense of Ankist, in that case, none of us could have been responsible for the Queen's murder. So then it must have been one of the Lesser Houses [NPC houses].

At least, I sure hope so.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Who knows, one of us could now be the baddies, [Great] House on Haunted Hill-style.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The King's Dilemma, Grand Finale

Queen Pacifica I has been killed, strangled in her bed by a traitor...maybe a double agent? Every Great House has just received this letter:

A storm is brewing posted:

The time for the final showdown is here!

Decision time posted:

• Which faction to join: Loyalist, Neutral or Betrayers.
    • If the Loyalist win and you picked them, your House will receive an extra 5 . If the Betrayers win, your House will be destroyed!
    • If the Betrayers win and you picked them, your House will receive an extra 5 . If the Loyalist win, your House will be destroyed!
    • If you picked Neutral, you won't receive any bonus but your House will not be destroyed no matter who wins.
  • Your House can mark up to 2 squares on the Action side of the Battle Card. You may receive extra or by marking 1 or more squares, depending on the specific event.
  • Contrary to the general rules you can strike secret accords and have secret communication with other Houses for this vote. Also, you don't have to declare your position itt if you don't want to; or you could even lie about it!
  • As with every decision in the King's Dilemma, this may be less straight forward than it seems. Are you going to fight for the good of the Kingdom even if it means your House is more likely not to be the winner? Or are you going to side with the Black Dawn and have a better chance to be the one ending up on top? Remember that the final winner will be the surviving House with the highest combined Prestige/Crave!
:siren::siren::siren:
A 48h voting window is now open!
- Remember that you don't have to publicly declare your intent (you can even lie about it) and you can secretly communicate with other Houses for this vote.
- At the end of the voting period, each Houses will have to provide their decision about which faction they want to join; and which options they want to pick for each action on the Battle Card.
- If you have any doubts, feel free to reach out or post itt!
- If any House needs an extension, I'll make this publicly known.
:siren::siren::siren:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 18, 2021

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
My my my, is this ever an interesting scenario.

Navigator-Poet

Having read their letters, how is everybody feeling about this?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Just to clarify:
  • Each House can mark up to 2 spaces on their own Battle Card, not 2 per each option :)
  • Declaring for one Faction has no impact on the actions you can take - you could IE: declare for the Loyalist and then try to rob the Royal Treasure.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

[ooc]AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
:psyboom: [/ooc]

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

e: hit me up on Discord I guess for dealiness?

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bellmaker posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

e: hit me up on Discord I guess for dealiness?

same

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Yeah, likewise. I'm open to ideas and deals. This is going to be a difficult decision to make.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

welp

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've found a way for the Loyalists to win with a four-way tie. Four out of five Great Houses will tie for victory - and the leftover house, House Pinchay, I'll personally compensate.

So, I'll start by putting these here, to recap:

By careful management, Houses Gambol, Lethe, Cyfoeth, and Daucus all end at the same total of Prestige and Crave.

(Assuming everyone declares Loyalist and Loyalists win.)

For this to work, the +5, +3, and +1 prestige bonuses need to go to houses Cyfoeth, Daucus, and Gambol in that order. Here's how it shakes out:

Base: 51 , 24 , 74 total

Gambol is already in front, so they send messengers to two foreign countries. This boosts Cohesion and keeps its ranking the same.

Final score: 74 (base) + 0 (battle card) + 1 (Prestige bonus) + 5 (Loyalist bonus) = 80

Base: 39 , 31 , 70 total

Lethe isn't getting a Prestige bonus no matter what happens, so they need to make it up other ways. They motivate the people, and help the people with their army. Motivate the People gives +3 (as Cyfoeth also does it), so this is +5 Prestige over all.

Final score: 70 (base) + 5 (battle card) + 0 (Prestige bonus) + 5 (Loyalist bonus) = 80

Base: 51 , 10 , 61 total

Cyfoeth has a lot of ground to cover, so their actions need to boost their Prestige and get them lots of Crave, too. So they'll motivate the people (that's +3 Prestige) and steal the royal treasury. That gets them +9 total, and the bonuses kick in.

Final score: 61 (base) + 9 (battle card) + 5 (Prestige bonus) + 5 (Loyalist bonus) = 80

Base: 53 , 16 , 69 total (nice)

We don't want to improve our Prestige score any, or it'll collide with Cyfoeth's. So we need 3 Crave. So our armies will protect the family. We'll also send a messenger to a neighboring country for the Cohesion boost.

Final score: 69 (base) + 3 (battle card) + 3 (Prestige bonus) + 5 (Loyalist bonus) = 80

Base: 42 , 17 , 59 total

House Pinchay won't be a part of this tie, but we're giving them cool stuff to make up for it. If the Loyalists win, I'm going to buy each Pinchay member a gang tag that says "I Helped Save Ankist ".

All House Pinchay has to do is not steal the royal treasury or motivate the people.

So there it is. It can work. We can win together. Everyone can be a superstar.
What say all of you?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Honestly anyone backstabbing this is a loser no matter what the rules say, I'm in. House Gambol will send messengers to the Kasuk Empire and the Republic of Kauppias.

House Pinchay should send some men to the castle gates and some men to protect the High Commander from assassinations, preventing any realistic chance of a Black Dawn win.

Numbers on that last one: Ankist starts at +75 with how we managed the kingdom all these years; calling in the top two allies boosts this to +120.
With one defending tick at the castle gates and the High Commander protected then the betrayers simply cannot get that +120 in less than 6 ticks (+55 from assassinations, +35 with two ticks on the gates, +30 from two armies creating chaos).
So two different Houses can't make the kingdom fall and I don't see House Cyfoeth joining the Dark Side of the force light.

Incidentally if both us and House Daucus follow through on messengers then that too requires the other 3 Houses to go full villain, since 4 ticks would only gain 35 (from the gates) and a total of 90 (assassinations) against a 135 cohesion advantage.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

We're obviously gonna sign on to our own plan. House Daucus will protect the family and send a messenger to the Kingdom of Cidlada.

See you on the other side.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

We're obviously gonna sign on to our own plan. House Daucus will protect the family and send a messenger to the Kingdom of Cidlada.

See you on the other side.

I overthink poo poo at times.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Does the gang tag come with a third pool at my golden temple second winter chateau?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Slaan posted:

Does the gang tag come with a third pool at my golden temple second winter chateau?

Sure. :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Quackles posted:

What say all of you?

Lethe is willing to back this plan.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Quackles posted:

What say all of you?
Oh boy, I get one more chance to be unnecessarily loquacious before the great decision of our time.

House Cyfoeth has always been willing and supportive of the Houses of Ankist working together for the betterment of all. What better way for that to come to a glorious finale than cooperation actually overcoming the very pull of the universe towards prioritizing one's self over the good of all and rewarding each House working together with a shared glorious victory?

House Cyfoeth supports this motion, we shall Remove the Royal Treasury (as is tradition during any reign the coffers cannot remain full), and Inspire the People to rally their support for the Kingdom.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

It is the Mother's will. She will surely bestow her blessings and her mercy upon Ankist, and our proud kingdom will return from this crisis stronger than ever!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

scavy131 posted:

House Cyfoeth supports this motion, we shall Remove the Royal Treasury (as is tradition during any reign the coffers cannot remain full), and Inspire the People to rally their support for the Kingdom.

Think of it as solving the inflationary crisis. :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Well, my House has had all day to talk me out of this, so...House Pinchay also sides with the Loyalists, and uh...

Omobono posted:

House Pinchay should send some men to the castle gates and some men to protect the High Commander from assassinations, preventing any realistic chance of a Black Dawn win.

Yeah, that. 1 Pip to Defend the Castle and 1 Pip to Protect the High Commander. Hope the numbers work out as predicted.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

I was off sailing, and I come back to this? For the King!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The King's Dilemma, Grand Finale, Conclusion
The Black Dawn has declared that it is time for Ankist to return to the fold. Their armies are at the gate, their messangers have reached every Great House and no one is sure who to trust - old friends and confidants could very well be double agents for this organization. The War Council resonates with shouts of encouragement and everyone is raising their bannermen. The streets vibrate with the Ankistian battle hymn and the Silver Mallet warpriests are blessing the troops. Any small decision could tilt the outcome of the battle that's about to begin.

The Black Dawn army is at the Gates of Lybra and its secret agents - old and new - are already within the walls.

Will this Kingdom great achievements disappear into obscurity, or will Ankist survive?

The Great Battle posted:

The troops of House Pinchay, Dukes of Gamam, will Defend the Gates of the Castle (+1, current: 43) and Protect the High Commander (blocks assassination attempt, +1, current: 44).

The troops of House Gambol, Dukes of Solad, have been sent to gather allies from the Kasuk Empire (+25, current: 105) and from the Republic of Kauppias (+20, current: 125)

The troops of House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden, will Motivate the People while they Steal from the Royal Treasury!

The troops of House Daucus, Dukes of Olwyn, have been sent to gather allies from the Kingdom of Cidlada (+15, current: 140) while the remaining will Protect the Family (+3, current: 19)

The troops of House Lethe, Dukes of Natar, will Steal from the Royal Treasury and Protect the Family (+3, current: 34)
  • Motivate the People outcome: House Cyfoeth +4 , current: 55.
  • Steal from the Royal Treasury: House Cyfoeth +3, current: 12; House Lethe +3, current: 37.
Battle Resolution

Final Bonus
  • House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden receives +5, current: 60.
  • House Daucus, Dukes of Olwyn receives +3, current: 56.
  • House Gambol, Dukes of Solad receives +1, current: 52.

Envelope 73 posted:

Stands is revealed as Loyalists! Receives +5, current: 49.

Stands is revealed as Loyalists! Receives +5, current: 57.

Stands is revealed as Loyalists! Receives +5, current: 65.

Stands is revealed as Loyalists! Receives +5, current: 61.

Stands for the Loyalists! Receives +5, current: 44.

Final Score

There is an old Ankistian tale that is taught to children when they are young. There are many variations, but more or less the story goes:

An old woman was walking down the road whan she saw a gang of thugs beating a poisonous snake. She rescued the snake and carried it back to her home, where she nursed it back to health. They became friends and lived together for many months. One day they were going into town and the old woman picked him up and the snake bit her. Repeatedly. "Oh Mother," she screamed, "I am dying! Why? I was your friend. I saved your life! I trusted you! Why did you bite me?"

The snake looked up at her and said, "Lady, you knew I was a snake when you first picked me up."

Well then :v:

The current page in the Annals of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

...when the dust settled and the order was restored, on that fateful day, it was clear that the Black Dawn had failed in its intent, but it had nonetheless struck a deep wound into the Kingdom of Ankist. It was also clear that, while most Great Houses had been greatly weakened by the ordeal - their moneys spent, their armies suffering from many casualties or scattered around this continent and the other, to gather allies - one House had been mostly left untouched.

Some say that history is written by the victors, and on this anniversary of the Great Victory against the Black Dawn, I'd like to remind the reader that whoever would suggest that House Lethe's troops were mostly busy pillaging the treasury and protecting their masters' villas during the battle would *clearly* be in the wrong. One just has to listen to the ballads about that day to know that they were the rock against which the Black Dawn wave crashed and disappeared.

Blessings to the Mother for their illuminate leadership in the past years and may King Orm Lethe the Unquenchable and his descentands rule over this land forever!

For a thread with "Game of Thrones Diplomacy" in its title, this is a fitting conclusion as any. Now it's time for House Lethe to name the currently unnamed King/Queen and give them a fitting portrait.

I would like to thank everyone who took part in the game and all the readers - I hope you had fun! I would especially like to thank megane for their help with the House banners and the other fantastic graphic design elements.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 21, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Boo
Boo these snakes.

GG all, I'll write up some aftermaths later (and I think I won't be the only one)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Boo
Boo these snakes.

:hai:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

King Orm the Unquenchable will rule over Ankist wisely :toot:

Orm is Swedish for snake

Thanks for all the hard work, TIG!

Oh yeah, our last hidden agenda:

I'm sure it's obvious why we didn't complete it :v:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 20, 2021

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Covski posted:

It is the Mother's will. She will surely bestow her blessings and her mercy upon Ankist, and our proud kingdom will return from this crisis stronger than ever!

And indeed the Mother has blessed Ankist! Under the rule of King Orm Lethe, first of his name, and his line we shall usher in a new golden age for the kingdom, one were the purified Cult shall once again make our faith and the teachings of the Mother our guiding star in all things. Finally the land shall be once and for all cleansed of heretics, and all the malevolent knowledge that has been unearthed shall be wiped from all records for all time. I trust all other houses will cooperate fully with the noble efforts of the king's inquisition.

Blessed be the Mother, blessed be king Orm.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
After all that build up, I gotta say that the ending provided by the game was incredibly anticlimactic.

Thanks for the read.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Veryslightlymad posted:

After all that build up, I gotta say that the ending provided by the game was incredibly anticlimactic.

Thanks for the read.

to be fair in an IRL game there would be more hooting/hollering/friendships ruined to notice :v:

e: hence the Civil Disorder rule in Diplomacy :v: :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

And at the end of all things, when the houses of Ankist were plotting and scheming with one another for the defense of the realm, House Lethe passed and gathered power.

But no, seriously, nice work there. Would have preferred the other ending, but this is in character as well. Good game, everyone.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I defended the realm but all I got was this House Lethe tee shirt

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Surprised to see that sentiment from Pinchay. From my view as an external spectator, Lethe was the only team that let you die on your feet, with honor.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
A phenomenal game all told, including as expected of this type of game a sudden last minute betrayal.

I'm still incredibly pleased that the game itself and TIG's house rules were balanced enough and we all played well enough that, barring Lethe's entirely characteristic backstabbing, 4 out of 5 houses were close enough in score to have a chance to tie/win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Hm.

Well for what wound up being the two of us I think we acquitted ourselves pretty alright.