Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

It's a weird American thing. In soccer, rugby, AFL, GAA, handball... pretty much any team sport I can think of outside of North America theres no unwritten rule about it at all. You try and beat the other team by as much as possible and the laugh in their faces about it. Everyone on the field is a professional, deal with it.

I think its a completely fine and reasonable tradition.

If you do that to someone in a gym, people start hard fouling and getting in fights, you make people upset. So to avoid hard feelings and squabbles you just chill once you’ve proven to be the better team.

Its american sports honor. Not all perfect(weird baseball stuff) but mostly reasonable and understandable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

wilt only sat for 8 total minutes that season and played in all 80 games

a true freak among freaks

e: look at this gamelog https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chambwi01/gamelog/1962/#pgl_basic_playoffs::none

Wtf

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

wilt only sat for 8 total minutes that season and played in all 80 games

a true freak among freaks

e: look at this gamelog https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chambwi01/gamelog/1962/#pgl_basic_playoffs::none

If wilt had been born in the bronze age he would have gone down in legend as a heroic warrior like achilles or ajax. Wiltaeus of wherever. We would know his name

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/anthonyvslater/status/1730396518765707392?s=46&t=qIvFvieb07NoZpZm62AjqQ

Wiggins' finger got caught in car door. Details have yet to be released.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what more do you need to know

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Draymond at it again

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you do that to someone in a gym, people start hard fouling and getting in fights, you make people upset. So to avoid hard feelings and squabbles you just chill once you’ve proven to be the better team.

Its american sports honor. Not all perfect(weird baseball stuff) but mostly reasonable and understandable

I wish I could remember who told the story, maybe it was Windhorst, but the Nuggets/Knicks brawl was about the Nuggets running up the score. The coaches were feuding and the nugs coach wouldn't sit his starters. The knicks wanted to surrender but in the nba, if one team is playing their best players, the other team has too as well. Then players got aggro with each other because they were clearly playing a losing game for no reason and the fight started.

The media is currently praising the IST and dunking on the Bulls (and Billy Donovan) because they were upset about running up the score. But the media also convinced everyone that nba players are spoiled millionaires that don't care about anything but money. Actually, players like to win and hate losing. Forcing them to play in garbage time will only lead to people getting pissy, like you said. And then fights or injuries will come. People can't have it both ways.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Any time there’s minor controversy about stars playing at the end of blowouts it’s always the Bulls for some reason.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

temple posted:

I wish I could remember who told the story, maybe it was Windhorst, but the Nuggets/Knicks brawl was about the Nuggets running up the score. The coaches were feuding and the nugs coach wouldn't sit his starters. The knicks wanted to surrender but in the nba, if one team is playing their best players, the other team has too as well. Then players got aggro with each other because they were clearly playing a losing game for no reason and the fight started.

The media is currently praising the IST and dunking on the Bulls (and Billy Donovan) because they were upset about running up the score. But the media also convinced everyone that nba players are spoiled millionaires that don't care about anything but money. Actually, players like to win and hate losing. Forcing them to play in garbage time will only lead to people getting pissy, like you said. And then fights or injuries will come. People can't have it both ways.

If anything next year teams will realize they can’t take any points for granted during IST games. It is just a cultural adjustment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

what more do you need to know

Who really did it to him

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

News: Blazers have won 3 of their last 4

Views: Hell yeah

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

blue squares posted:

Who really did it to him

surprised he hasn't blamed the vaccine yet

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Dejan Bimble posted:

If wilt had been born in the bronze age he would have gone down in legend as a heroic warrior like achilles or ajax. Wiltaeus of wherever. We would know his name

I think you mean Bombaata, and it wasn’t the Bronze Age but rather between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Aryas

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Dejan Bimble posted:

Americans attempting to be honorable, how cute. John Wayne, Coca cola, kill the poor, bang-bang.

Every single professional sports team the world over rests stars or goes easy at the end of blow-outs if they can. In soccer you take your star out at 65 minutes if you're up by more than 3 and play counter-attack. In most Aussie sports they'll just slow the game down and sub-out big names. In ice hockey you kill the opposing team so they forfeit early to finish the match. It's all the same.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/worldwidewob/status/1730421668278083753?s=46

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Bron is old the the Thunder are babies
https://x.com/royceyoung/status/1730395363436122349?s=46&t=0x_opuk5bo0lymk_1YRzgQ

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Losing to Philly, Milwaukee, and Denver by a combined 14 points was a trio of tough beats, but perhaps offered hope.

The last week of games though :gonk:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
https://streamable.com/fxzd76

Mitch owns

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

KAT is kinda quietly putting up a great year so far.

32/11/5 with no Ant tonight in a double digit win that wasn't even as close as the final score

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Wilt rules, he is the goat, in my opinion as a poster.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

32/11/5 with no Ant tonight in a double digit win that wasn't even as close as the final score

against the jazz

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/1730398838853079457
Good guy Mitchell

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

drat, gonna need to increase the score limit on the that boy nice index

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/twolvesbrazil/status/1730425608985805278

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

against the jazz

yeah, they crushed a team they normally are supposed to crush, even though they didn't have their best player, because their much maligned second best player stepped up when the team needed him to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Wilt rules, he is the goat, in my opinion as a poster.

are you sure? i dont think hes even well known for his posting

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
drat the Pacers really don't play defense. Heat scored 142. I don't think I've ever seen them do that in regulation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wtf cavs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I love the NBA but the Bulls are such a loving bummer I can't stand to watch a minute of their games, this is as bad as it's been, at least the lovely boylen teams had young guys i could pretend were getting better. This is bleak poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I love the NBA but the Bulls are such a loving bummer I can't stand to watch a minute of their games, this is as bad as it's been, at least the lovely boylen teams had young guys i could pretend were getting better. This is bleak poo poo.

Counterpoint

BULLS ARE loving BACK BABY

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lol dude your missing it right now

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Drummond had a double double

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

imagine losing to the bulls, lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

fart simpson posted:

are you sure? i dont think hes even well known for his posting

He posted 20000 times.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

drat the Pacers really don't play defense. Heat scored 142. I don't think I've ever seen them do that in regulation.

Yeah I didn’t catch the game but it looks like it played out like most Pacers losses this year. Their offense is cool and all but seeing 130+ oppo points on the board every night is getting old

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh the bulls were playing today?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

imagine losing to the bulls, lol

Without Lavine or DeRozan

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/twolvesbrazil/status/1730421945642958939

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
i know isiah joe has no legitimate chance at 6moty but man if he isn't one of the single highest impact bench players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy