Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

loving glorious:

These are not the best examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Those are basically the most :downs: examples, but that mod is OK for what a piece of poo poo engine it is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Seriously, that mod is about the only thing that makes me consider reinstalling Oblivion. Every time I see an update about it, I think, "maybe this will change everything" and get a faint urge to install it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd just like to point out that the Oblivion Character Overhaul version 2 was just released, and it is loving glorious:

It's seriously great, my screenshots might not be the best, check out the creators at the link.

Why does a creature covered in fur also have hair? Especially if it has massive clipping issues?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was just checking out the default face for each race in the character creation. The example pics on the nexus are much more indicative:

(Taken from the nexus page!)

The only thing that I find kind of disturbing is that Redguards are... white people in my game. Im wondering if it has to do with my OBGE shader settings...

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Why does a creature covered in fur also have hair? Especially if it has massive clipping issues?

Might want to take that up with Bethesda, even Khajits in Skyrim have hair. The modder's only possible failure here is not re-imagining what's already Elder Scrolls canon.

The thing about this mod is, compared to video games as a whole, it's... average, if that much. Compared to the potato heads that oblivion came with though, it's incredible. Also worthy of note is the technical achievement of wrangling these into holistic implementation in Oblivion's garbage engine- better heads have been made for this game before, but only for custom player races. Implementing better head models for NPCs and everybody has never been done before, iirc.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
TNR modified faces to be better looking but it wasn't as good as this.

Although oblivion is mostly boring compared to almost every other one of Bethesda's games, in my opinion. To get it to be remotely enjoyable you just have to mod the hell out of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cathair posted:

Might want to take that up with Bethesda, even Khajits in Skyrim have hair. The modder's only possible failure here is not re-imagining what's already Elder Scrolls canon.

The thing about this mod is, compared to video games as a whole, it's... average, if that much. Compared to the potato heads that oblivion came with though, it's incredible. Also worthy of note is the technical achievement of wrangling these into holistic implementation in Oblivion's garbage engine- better heads have been made for this game before, but only for custom player races. Implementing better head models for NPCs and everybody has never been done before, iirc.

I think it's telling about how crappy oblivions face system is that this cosmetic overhaul requires a freaking OBSE plugin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cathair posted:

Really? wow, I haven't played Skyrim, and I've spent a ton more time playing Morrowind than Oblivion, so I just never noticed I guess.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yo Oblivion thread. I'm getting wtf missing mesh stuff showing up, though I'm using very very few mods. Here's my load order, being run through NMM because I don't plan on (initially) installing enough mods to make a difference:

Any ideas?

:(

e: Uninstalling the unofficial patches replaces with a bit yellow diamond with an exclamation point in it, so I'm guessing they're the culprit?

kedo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 8, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

The only thing that I find kind of disturbing is that Redguards are... white people in my game. Im wondering if it has to do with my OBGE shader settings...

I had the same issue when I used the Overhaul for New Vegas. Try archive invalidating.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seriously, that mod is about the only thing that makes me consider reinstalling Oblivion. Every time I see an update about it, I think, "maybe this will change everything" and get a faint urge to install it.

You and me both. I can't believe it took until Skyrim for Bethesda to figure out what a human body is supposed to look like.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

kedo posted:

Yo Oblivion thread. I'm getting wtf missing mesh stuff showing up, though I'm using very very few mods. Here's my load order, being run through NMM because I don't plan on (initially) installing enough mods to make a difference:

Any ideas?

:(

e: Uninstalling the unofficial patches replaces with a bit yellow diamond with an exclamation point in it, so I'm guessing they're the culprit?

I believe that means the same thing, the UOP just changes the Missing Mesh placeholder. I think you need Archive Invalidation.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
They are the same thing. The easy way of figuring out what is missing a mesh is through a mod called refscope. It will need OBSE but it will make trouble shooting mods much easier.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks both! I'll give those a try this evening. I saw someone else on the Steam forums suggesting refscope too, but I never really believe anything I read there.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm playing through Nehrim again and encountered a game breaking bug. Basically, one of the essential NPC's has disappeared (Callisto) from the Mountain Monastery. Which console command do I use to spawn him back?

unrelated question: Is Shivering Isles good? I've played Oblivion to death but never even tried SI. Worth it to start a new game just for that?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Shivering Isles is far and away the best part of Oblivion.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

I'm playing through Nehrim again and encountered a game breaking bug. Basically, one of the essential NPC's has disappeared (Callisto) from the Mountain Monastery. Which console command do I use to spawn him back?

unrelated question: Is Shivering Isles good? I've played Oblivion to death but never even tried SI. Worth it to start a new game just for that?

Absolutely yes.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Is there anywhere I can find a full version of MMM that I can just install with OBMM? All I've been able to find are a bunch of loose files scattered around all over the Internet that may or may not be the right ones to put together.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Maybe try torrents or EasyFCOM or something. I recently tried a FCOM install and just gave up about half way thanks to how many patches and poo poo it needs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Praetorian Mage posted:

Is there anywhere I can find a full version of MMM that I can just install with OBMM? All I've been able to find are a bunch of loose files scattered around all over the Internet that may or may not be the right ones to put together.

Check the FCOM page on the oblivion nexus. there's a link for an MMM OMOD setup there...

Just an FYI, the Nexus FCOM page is probably the only place online with usable FCOM instructions that hasn't succumbed to link rot. :/

(I spent ~12ish hours getting FCOM setup and haven't barely played it cause I got PC skyrim for Christmas.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That new version of the character overhaul is kind of ridiculously good. Like, maybe Bethesda should hire the modder good. I can't believe someone managed to turn potato face people in to that. Like, I don't know if there were specific limitations back in 2006 or whenever Oblivion first came out, but I just don't know who looked at those faces and was like, "yeah, this is good to go."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

That new version of the character overhaul is kind of ridiculously good. Like, maybe Bethesda should hire the modder good. I can't believe someone managed to turn potato face people in to that. Like, I don't know if there were specific limitations back in 2006 or whenever Oblivion first came out, but I just don't know who looked at those faces and was like, "yeah, this is good to go."

Again, it's rather amusing that they had to use an OBSE plugin to hack the games code in order to make aestheticly pleasing faces.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

OCO2 is wonderful, but it just really bothers me that they made the redguards universally caucasiany and I can't figure out how to fix that.

Also the Gates of Aesgaard mods were pretty great. I've been going over all the little additional towns and homes the nexus has to offer and most of them come with a bunch of decent quests.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone know of a good playable Dremora mod? I'm worried that using OCO2 might muck something up with custom races.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

OCO2 has dremora built in as a special race, along with golden saints I believe.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

OCO2 has dremora built in as a special race, along with golden saints I believe.

Oh sweet. Thanks!

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

She redid them, but they're not marked as playable. You have to do that yourself, though you can edit the esp to make they playable pretty easily with TES4Edit or the construction kit.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mushmouth posted:

OCO2 is wonderful, but it just really bothers me that they made the redguards universally caucasiany and I can't figure out how to fix that.

Are they really white? I had a similar problem with the overhaul for New Vegas, and it turned out I didn't have archive invalidation on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Are they really white? I had a similar problem with the overhaul for New Vegas, and it turned out I didn't have archive invalidation on.

I thought that too, went and toggled it off and then on, and nope: white as all hell.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Do you mean like...white white or just kind of more fair skinned than you'd like? Cause redguards in vanilla Oblivion were never that "black".

If you mean actually white then you do having something wrong.

This is just the default from my game:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is Better Cities stable? I had to turn it off because I would crash trying to enter the Imperial city.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
gently caress. Now I'm going to try to play Oblivion again. I hate this thread.

Edit: Yeah, people look good now.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 21, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think mushmouth maybe meant that although the skin is darker and the hair might be a bit different, the facial structures themselves are Causcasian. So it winds up looking like a white person with a tan. I haven't seen what OCO2 looks like, but it's a common thing that happens inadvertantly (or purposefully, in some cases) since a lot of the people who make the things grew up around mostly white standards for beauty.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
What is the best leveling overhaul mod? I want something that is similar to vanilla without having to OCD sperg over skillups to get the stat modifiers. Are Realistic Leveling and nGCD pretty much the same, except nGCD counts all skills toward leveling?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
NGCD is basically my favorite for Oblivion, and it is also the only one I've ever used.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is there any modpack that can have Morroblivion tossed into it and just work? I tried with easyFCOM, and crashes were occuring reliably if I went more than ten feet in any direction.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hog Butcher posted:

Is there any modpack that can have Morroblivion tossed into it and just work? I tried with easyFCOM, and crashes were occuring reliably if I went more than ten feet in any direction.

I have morroblivion in my mod list with no problem? You got a bashed patch?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Agents are GO! posted:

I have morroblivion in my mod list with no problem? You got a bashed patch?

I did not think of rebuilding it. Agh.

Is there any way to make a mod installation portable for sharing/backup? I'm working on Morroblivion/FCOM for my roommate and sharing it without spending like three hours on his computer would own.

We both have Morrowind/Oblivion on Steam with identical states and install directions, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hog Butcher posted:

I did not think of rebuilding it. Agh.

Is there any way to make a mod installation portable for sharing/backup? I'm working on Morroblivion/FCOM for my roommate and sharing it without spending like three hours on his computer would own.

We both have Morrowind/Oblivion on Steam with identical states and install directions, if that helps.

If you're not using MO, just zip up your data folder.

Edit: don't forget morroblivion.esm needs to be directly after oblivion.esm!

• Locked thread