Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
It's a blessing in disguise honestly. Sick during daycare is far more optimal than being sick during their Kindergarten year when they will have take home work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Koivunen posted:

My son has been getting speech therapy for almost a year. He started with only two words, and now he’s really interactive and able to express most of his needs. He’s having little conversations with me and also narrates scenes with his toys, it’s so cute I can hardly handle it. He still struggles a lot with articulation, I can understand him but nobody else can unless it’s clearly in context. He turns three in a few weeks and services end at that age for some reason, so his speech therapist did an evaluation to try to get an IEP for articulation work started. She did his eval and was sure that he would qualify, but when she scored it he got 76%, and he needed 70% or lower to qualify. She said she tried to score him as low as possible so he could qualify but she couldn’t come up with enough errors.

I’m not terribly worried, but I’m pretty bummed that he won’t be getting speech any more. He has two therapists and they are both amazing, he’s come such a long way.

In other news, I successfully got my daughter registered for after school care this morning. I have been fretting about this for MONTHS. There’s a limited number of spots and it’s first come first serve registration. If I didn’t get into this program I don’t know what I would do with her since school gets out at 2:45 and the earliest I’m done with work is 3:30. Anyway, online registration opened at 7am and I was sitting at my computer at 6:30 like a nut. My heart was thumping as I raced through the registration form, and I had it submitted by 7:09. Registering for kindergarten and figuring out before and after school care has been unusually stressful!

Daycare sent out a message last week that said they will have a graduation for all the preschoolers who are going to kindergarten at the end of summer. I cried when I read the message, I cried when I told my boyfriend about it, and I’m crying again writing about it.

Are you in the U.S.? The #1 concern for school districts are parents complaining about anything. If you ask your school to get your little one into the school's speech therapy program, odds are they'll just put him or her in with very little fuss. If some bureaucrat pushes back, just elevate to the principal of the school. The principal won't even find it annoying. They figure you know your kid better than the bureaucrat. Seriously just ask, this is a solvable problem.

I'm married to a school speech therapist and he sees this all the time.

Edit: \/\/\/YMMV I guess. Give it a shot anyway.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 6, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BigHead posted:

Are you in the U.S.? The #1 concern for school districts are parents complaining about anything. If you ask your school to get your little one into the school's speech therapy program, odds are they'll just put him or her in with very little fuss. If some bureaucrat pushes back, just elevate to the principal of the school. The principal won't even find it annoying. They figure you know your kid better than the bureaucrat. Seriously just ask, this is a solvable problem.

I'm married to a school speech therapist and he sees this all the time.

Funny, in our school district getting _ANY_ services was pulling teeth and the principal was the greatest roadblock. He even refused to give us back behavioral forms that our doctor had our son's teachers fill out because 'we didn't clear it with him first'.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

We’ve been fortunate but I also can’t wrap my head around the baby/toddler years and not being in a walkable area with playgrounds, etc.

I’ve struggled with making parent friends but that’s more an issue of pandemic timing and me not being naturally outgoing.

The boomer at the end of our road brags about how he convinced the developer to sell him a house plot instead of the playground they had planned. It sucks because we’re car-locked and a playground would fill one of the only pain points about our house.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Democratic Pirate posted:

The boomer at the end of our road brags about how he convinced the developer to sell him a house plot instead of the playground they had planned. It sucks because we’re car-locked and a playground would fill one of the only pain points about our house.

For the amount of detailed zoning US communities seem to get into, it's weird how they don't seem to mandate playgrounds and such for new developments.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Kids meant to be seen not heard probably.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The big section of our neighborhood has playgrounds. The issue is it’s a 10+ minute walk on an ugly and busy street to get there and at that point why not just load up and drive to a nicer playground.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

For the amount of detailed zoning US communities seem to get into, it's weird how they don't seem to mandate playgrounds and such for new developments.

when you realize that america actively hates kids and families it all makes sense

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Blinkz0rz posted:

when you realize that america actively hates kids and families it all makes sense

When you realize that American developers don't view playgrounds as profit centers and figure out that the land allocated to playgrounds could be better served as another mcmansion.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Playgrounds raise the surrounding land value, though! It's like they've never played sim city.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Is this anyone else's toddler at bedtime, or just mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTdqh-a0tU&t=112s

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’m lucky with playgrounds here, I’ve got 3 within easy walking distance. They’re just basic-rear end playgrounds but some of the other suburbs have the fancy ones with nicer equipment.

It’s nice to have a little park I can walk to and check out their little native planting and the retention pond. There’s always some birds hanging around and it’s right next to the bread factory so sometimes I get free bread smell.

Cimber posted:

When you realize that American developers don't view playgrounds as profit centers and figure out that the land allocated to playgrounds could be better served as another mcmansion.

Yeah it’s the general trend of everything. Don’t build public playgrounds, just expect everyone to build their own swings and slides and whatever else on their huge lot.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

According to my daughter we have ghosts in our house, they travel through walls, and they keep her up at night with their psychic whispering. She has stayed up over an hour, sometimes two for the last week, she wouldn't tell us why until today.

I'm a grown adult running around doing a magic spell she came up with to get the ghosts to go away, and leave her alone. She's asleep in time though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Chillmatic posted:

Is this anyone else's toddler at bedtime, or just mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTdqh-a0tU&t=112s

I am cackling because tonight my son insisted on taking 7 monster trucks, a puzzle, and a large garbage truck toy to bed with him.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

killer crane posted:

According to my daughter we have ghosts in our house, they travel through walls, and they keep her up at night with their psychic whispering. She has stayed up over an hour, sometimes two for the last week, she wouldn't tell us why until today.

I'm a grown adult running around doing a magic spell she came up with to get the ghosts to go away, and leave her alone. She's asleep in time though.

LIke this girl who heard monsters in her walls?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
My 3 year old son has been awake in his room since 4:30. On the plus side, he has been playing with his toys on his own. On the downside, I simply can't imagine how hellish bedtime will be tonight as he is going to be so overtired this evening. I feel like 8 hours of sleep is just not enough. Maybe he'll learn something from this?

lol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Blinkz0rz posted:

can confirm, just had to go vote in my town meeting last night for a tax hike to keep our schools accredited, it passed but not until there were five+ hours of seniors and people "just asking questions" why we should keep basic education in our town

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Thursday: First signs of baby being sick. A minor wheeze starts to form. It's also his 6 month well visit, so the Doctor gives us some saline in a nebulizer and makes us postpone vaccines just to be safe.
Friday: Baby's cranky, just needs to sleep, fights off sleep.
Saturday: Baby's cranky, just needs to sleep, fights off sleep. Wheeze gets worse and we have a chunky cough.
Sunday: Baby's cranky, just needs to sleep, fights off sleep. Has a 101 fever for the first time.

Monday Morning: Baby's cranky, just needs to sleep, fights off sleep. 100 fever in the morning. Daddy calls out of work.
Monday Afternoon: We arrive at the doctor. Baby's happy, smiling and happy for the first time in days! Shows the doctor his silly little wiggle we do when we lay down flat. No fever, no signs of anything wrong. We're having a great time! As happy as happy can be! Temp at home is 96.5, 97 at the doctor, everybody's confused at the reverse fever.
Monday Night: Baby's cranky, just needs to sleep, fights off sleep.

Tuesday Morning: 102 fever. Wheeze is the worst that it's been so far.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 7, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Renegret posted:

Monday Afternoon: We arrive at the doctor. Baby's happy, smiling and happy for the first time in days! Shows the doctor his silly little wiggle we do when we lay down flat. No fever, no signs of anything wrong. We're having a great time! As happy as happy can be! Temp at home is 96.5, 97 at the doctor, everybody's confused at the reverse fever.

Tuesday Morning: 102 fever. Wheeze is the worst that it's been so far.

Because gently caress you, thats why.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I will say that the wheeze was still present at the doctor's office and that's what matters, it's not like a doctor needs to see a cranky baby or a fever.

One thing I like about our Pediatrician is that she always takes everything we say very seriously, so if I say this baby is sick and he doesn't look sick, she treats him as if he's sick anyway. The downside of that however, is that it basically means I have to advocate for our kid's treatment and it's really exhausting to have a doctor asking you what you want to do. I don't loving know, that's why I'm here speaking to a doctor, you tell me.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if it's allergies? Lots of yuck going around with all the pollen. Also, is your kid in daycare?

Any fun gunk around the eyes? Pink Eye season is starting now too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
eye gunk started yesterday but it doesn't look like pink eye, and it's far less gunky than the eye gunk he had when he had covid. I don't think it's just allergies, he's way too sick, especially with the nasty cough. He's going for a chest xray today (all the labs were closed yesterday, ugh), strep was negative (it's already in his classroom), and I made them do a viral panel and I'll take the fight with insurance if they refuse to cover it.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm 90% sure it's just some daycare upper respiratory bug. However, my fear is not getting antibiotics when there's actually a need for tje,, and so far we haven't been given enough evidence to believe that he doesn't need any. A big part is that he has super narrow ear canals, so you cant' see into them without the ENT's special ENT magic tools, but also that narrowing means he's more prone to ear infections. That's why I requested the viral panel.

...Also my wife is a lot more vocal about wanting an explanation. I just happened to be the one who took the day off from work so I'm just rolling with it. The way we justify it, better to go to the doctor and not need it, rather than not go to the doctor and need it. And if I'm gonna take the day off, might as well just go rather than sit around at home and wrestle him to sleep, especially since babies sleep real good in the car.

We've had someone in the family sick nonstop since February and it's really exhausting. Almost all of it is bringing home poo poo from daycare. In 2 weeks my wife's taking her last 4 weeks of bonding leave and we're going to take a break from daycare for a month to try and recover.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, constant sickness is really tiresome, but if it helps it does end and your kid is going to be a lot healthier later in life. Lots of little bugs that you and I don't even notice? Kicks their rear end. I can still smell the amoxicilin that constantly lived in our fridge. Ear infections every freaking week it seemed like.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We got lucky because our first kid didn't go to daycare until he was 1, and he stated going right as COVID started up so the school was empty and everybody was taking precautions. He very rarely got sick and that continued up until our second was born, and started bringing home everything. Now suddenly all 4 of us are just constantly sick.

I thought I had a good immune system, turns out I was just good at not having people cough and sneeze into my open mouth.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My toddler was saying there were ghosts in his room, but now definitively states there are not ghosts in his room anymore and I’m wondering what has changed.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The ghosts moved to your room.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Weirdly my not quite 3 yo told me there were bees in the wall last night. I guess she heard someone talking about that news story or something? I didn't know about it until I read this thread today so I just thought she was being weird.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Talking to my 3 year old in the morning:

“How’d you sleep bud?”
“Not good.”
“Why what happened?”
“My eyes were bleeding.”

Jesus Christ.

“Oh, they look OK now.”
“yeah they’re OK now.”

Where did he get this horror movie stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

remigious posted:

I have thus far failed completely at making any parent friends.

My child is 9, and I still have yet to make, or figure out how to make, another parent friend. No one has ever had the slightest bit of interest.

Also, to keep up the spooky, as I was putting him to bed the other night, he shifts over and moves a blanket next to him, saying he needs to "leave a spot for his friend ", who said she would be coming over at midnight, that he couldn't tell me who she was, and that she would probably leave before I woke up in the morning. That morning, he "confirmed" she had visited and they had had a very good time. When his grandmother said that was a silly story he insisted it really happened.

Kid, you're old enough now not to be doing this spooky poo poo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 7, 2024

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My first grader has barely been sick all year. My fourth grader has barely been sick since the second grade. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!!!!!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

cailleask posted:

My first grader has barely been sick all year. My fourth grader has barely been sick since the second grade. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit] I don't want to say anything to jinx myself.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 7, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My 12-y-o daughter, while hyped up the other evening, called me "bro". :crossarms:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cimber posted:

[edit] I don't want to say anything to jinx myself.

Apparently even thinking of it jinxed myself, as I am now sick with pretty bad allergies.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I find myself stuck between the twin poles of “this culture is determined to turn my child into a consumer and I must work to teach them otherwise,” and, “I wish the team behind Bluey knew how to merchandise better.”

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
My lady popped out her IUD (in a clinic, didn't worry) and now we are officially trying to get pregnant.

She is worried about the birth being painful and I was wondering if, I can discuss sexual things, technically, here?

Not in a sexy way, but we do have a theory as to how to prevent tearing during birth.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

There's a pregnancy thread that might have more conversation in-line with what you want. Come here later, when you are questioning your decision to get pregnant after the 20th consecutive week of colds.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

oxyrosis posted:

My lady popped out her IUD (in a clinic, didn't worry) and now we are officially trying to get pregnant.

She is worried about the birth being painful and I was wondering if, I can discuss sexual things, technically, here?

Not in a sexy way, but we do have a theory as to how to prevent tearing during birth.

If you can do a epidural it is really not at all

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

20th consecutive week of colds.

Speaking of which

Viral panel on the baby came back positive for both hMPV and enterovirus.

Homeboy has two colds at once.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And with that I just realized I left an entire container of formula on the countertop all morning.

I only poured 3 oz from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

hallo spacedog posted:

If you can do a epidural it is really not at all

Not a woman so I'm only giving anicdotal information, but my wife did natural child birth the first time with an epidural and had a C-section the 2nd time

She said the 18 hours of labor was pure loving hell, even with the epidural, but the worst was really only the last hour. However she said that while the C-section itself was much easier, she was in a hell of a lot of pain for a few weeks after.