Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Easiest bike to wheelie I ever owned was my old MZ ETZ 301, which I think measured output in hamsterpower rather than horsepower. However it also had a completely underdamped front end, meaning a wheelie could be had simply by closing the throttle then snapping it open - while it waited for Stasi approval to provide "full" power the front end would compress, then when the correct forms had been filled out in triplicate for it to actually deliver what power it had, it met the suspension coming back up meaning only the slightest rearward shift would bring the front wheel up and it would generally stay there, with the completely intractable gearbox meaning it was safely self-limiting, hitting the rev limiter long before 12 o'clock.

Actually check that, the *very* easiest bike to wheelie was the Aprilia Leonardo the dealer loaned me when my RS125 was in for service, but that's because it was the shop bike and they'd left a whole scooter engine in the top box, which certainly helped - in both cases though I think my youth and the fact I didn't give a poo poo if I dropped it contributed as much as the actual dynamics of the bike. Nowadays I'm happier with the feeling of the front wheel just skipping at full power, that sudden lightness through the bars goosing the old adrenal glands just enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Easiest bike to wheelie I've ridden was a firestorm sprung for a 100kg rider, with my sister in law's boyfriend on the back. I remember just getting this fantastic slow rise in third gear, happily riding down the straights on the back wheel like I've never been able to do on any other bike. Incredible feel in the corners as well.

He had never been on a bike before, turned out he was screaming the whole time!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yamaha doesn’t like wheelies and is getting rid of both the R6 and WR250R. That seems kind of crazy to me, but I don’t know anything about the industry. I was planning to buy a WR250R once I had some money. I guess I can still get one used but the used prices are pretty absurd from what I’ve seen. :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The writing is on the wall for 600 supersports because the fim is going to allow 765 Triumphs and 959 Ducatis to participate, presumably the Japanese will respond to this by building ~650 i4's based on their current bikes but yeah. You aren't gonna beat a 959 with a 600 unless there's some serious performance balancing involved.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I first got in to motorcycles in 2008 so it's loving insane to see the 600cc class dying off like this. Back in my day they were the hottest poo poo with 2-year redesign cycles

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Motorcycle Discussion Thread: turned out he was screaming the whole time!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

The writing is on the wall for 600 supersports because the fim is going to allow 765 Triumphs and 959 Ducatis to participate, presumably the Japanese will respond to this by building ~650 i4's based on their current bikes but yeah. You aren't gonna beat a 959 with a 600 unless there's some serious performance balancing involved.

Ah, that makes more sense. I hadn’t paid attention. This article says the same thing basically. I wonder why they’re getting rid of the WR250R, though. I wonder if they’ll replace it with a more performance-oriented 450 version.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Likely the cost of keeping the WR compliant with euro 5 makes it not worthwhile to try anymore for what is ultimately a tiny percentage of sales.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
it's just about time for them to announce the WR450X then

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yamaha announced the new Tracer and I'm not a fan of the styling, it looks a bit derivative of the Multistrada and less sporty than the old model. Still has the loltastic peg feelers.

Old:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Different folks I guess. I think the newer version is an improvement, though the old was a good looking bike.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm meh on the styling, but like the sound of the hard bags that come on the GT being big enough to hold a full face helmet. I'm only familiar with top cases that big.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

High Protein posted:

Yamaha announced the new Tracer and I'm not a fan of the styling, it looks a bit derivative of the Multistrada and less sporty than the old model. Still has the loltastic peg feelers.

drat that's disappointing. I was hoping it'd look a lot more like the new Tracer 700:

No big loss though imo since the old 900 was pretty damned ugly

e: wow check out the new dash

FBS fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 18, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That dash really does look like a scuba mask

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

FBS posted:

That is badass, I love it

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
would be cool if you could use that right display for shooting rockets.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Reminds me of playing the first couple of Wing Commander games

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That dash really does look like a scuba mask

I want to follow this post up by saying snorkel mask or not, I think that dash rules

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, it doesn't really match the rest of the bike but that dash is very retrofuture. Also I'm just generally here for white on black lcds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Old:

It'll be amazing if they get away without a lawsuit, that fairing/headlight is a blatant multi copy.

FBS posted:

drat that's disappointing. I was hoping it'd look a lot more like the new Tracer 700:

This is glorious though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow the R6 going away is wild.

I’ve been waiting for more 2021 Suzuki’s to trickle in but I’m starting to worry about what is gonna keep going.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only thing that disappoints me about the Tracer 700 dash is that I'm certain the right side can't be set to display a wireframe terrain diagram or a damage schematic

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My edit was a bit ambiguous but the two-part scuba mask dash is on the new Tracer 9 GT, not the 700

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why do the headers combine much sooner now? More emissions related stuff? It's kind of ugly

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The shielded housing is for another catalytic converter. In order to cope with the glorious new emissions regulations that say your bike can't have any heat up time anymore before they start checking emissions. It's basically there for the first 20 seconds of run time then it's dead weight.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am unfamiliar with these concepts, so let me write out what I gleaned from this and you can correct me if I am wrong:

Euro4 and Euro5 certified bikes in the UK and EU come with catalytic converters.

Without catalytic converters, the Euro4 and Euro5 certified bikes in the UK and EU have emissions that meet Euro4 and Euro5 requirements once the bikes are warmed up; but prior to being warmed up, they do not meet Euro4 and Euro5 emissions requirements.

In order to meet the emissions requirements until they are warm, the bikes have huge catalytic converters bolted on to them. These catalytic converters are useless dead weight once the bike is warm.

Am I right?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

In general yes.

You always have converters since EU 3, but they were usually mounted back stream near the silencer and they were smaller.

Because the converters were given some time to heat up before you measure, you could use the position far away from the engine where they take some time to warm up but are out of sight and out of mind for your header design (which is very important for thetorque curve)

With the regulation that your heat up time is now counted towards total emissions during the test cycle, you can not afford to take your dear time to warm up a converter in the back of the exhaust system anymore, so the converter is moved as close upstream as possible (or it's just made a part of the header assembly) or a secondary converter is added upstream.

By the time the primary converter has reached operating temperature the secondary upstream converter is useless weight and worsens your header design.

We are taking light off times of a few dozen seconds here by the way for a traditional positioned converter, so the time you take to put on your gloves and helmet for example.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

With the regulation that your heat up time is now counted towards total emissions during the test cycle, you can not afford to take your dear time to warm up a converter in the back of the exhaust system anymore, so the converter is moved as close upstream as possible (or it's just made a part of the header assembly) or a secondary converter is added upstream.

By the time the primary converter has reached operating temperature the secondary upstream converter is useless weight and worsens your header design.

We are taking light off times of a few dozen seconds here by the way for a traditional positioned converter, so the time you take to put on your gloves and helmet for example.

Utterly mental.

The extra weight of the big heavy useless catalytic converter probably increases emissions now given the engine has to work more (and burn more fuel) to shift it, rather than the 20 seconds the catalytic converter was actually useful for in each ride.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

It'll be amazing if they get away without a lawsuit, that fairing/headlight is a blatant multi copy.

I want them to try this only to have Suzuki tap Ducati on the shoulder with papers of their own.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Combat Theory posted:

What chances you can swap to an older pipe design but with an electric heater on the smaller cat and still pass emissions tests?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

High Protein posted:

Old:

I always wondered what a multistrada would look like without the beak. I guess now I have my answer.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Speaking of beaks, I owned a circa 2010 wee-strom a few years back. It was a good bike, I liked it.

I was disappointed to see post-2014 models included a hideous beak

Man is that thing ugly.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Renaissance Robot posted:

What chances you can swap to an older pipe design but with an electric heater on the smaller cat and still pass emissions tests?

You'll pass all emissions tests with an old cat no problem. This isn't about the sniffing test done on registered bikes, it's the madness of the WMTC for homologation of a new production model.

The test equipment alone costs more than an entire car dealership and service center.

If you think about homologation for an electric cat heater... Nope... The power requirement is ridiculous.

Last thing I worked on before I stopped designing automotive powertrains was literal blow torch heaters that burn fuel to heat up the catalyst. All in the name of emissions reduction of course.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 19, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As someone who loved the 750cc sportbike class, an entire class of race reps being killed by rule changes is nothing new to me. We'll likely see the manufacturers keep the less race focused 500-600+ stuff like the RS660 and push race reps bigger and faster.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Combat Theory posted:

You'll pass all emissions tests with an old cat no problem. This isn't about the sniffing test done on registered bikes, it's the madness of the WMTC for homologation of a new production model.

The test equipment alone costs more than an entire car dealership and service center.

If you think about homologation for an electric cat heater... Nope... The power requirement is ridiculous.

Last thing I worked on before I stopped designing automotive powertrains was literal blow torch heaters that burn fuel to heat up the catalyst. All in the name of emissions reduction of course.

I think I'd rather just have an electric...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

That does admittedly sound kind of badass.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think I'd rather just have an electric...

I mean that's the whole idea behind EU7. Make it an impossible engineering dilemma to run a combustion engine by including enough 0.1% edge cases and suddenly no one will build them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
At least for motorcycles, warm-up time emissions has been included in test emissions since Euro 3. Euro 2 had a 400 second heating phase, and the gases emitted at that stage were not taken into consideration.