Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

It's not on a treadmill.

DON'T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I learned a lot of new things on the last page, awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Godholio posted:

Well poo poo, I always assumed it was a physical connection.

Same, that's fascinating and makes complete sense now that I know it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Previa_fun posted:

Every time I see this video I wonder about the tip speed of that blade. It's got to be pushing like, high caliber handgun velocity right? It sounds insane. Speaking of which:

13.5 feet at 400 RPM is just under 200mph of tip speed which is on par with a commercial mower.

Yeah, no. Fast handgun bullets can break the sound barrier easily, but propellor tips do not break the speed of sound on purpose for a good reason.

For example, the XF-84H Thunderscreech: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H_Thunderscreech

"The XF-84H was almost certainly the loudest aircraft ever built, earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger".[16] On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away.[17] Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches (61–76 cm) of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Just for comparison's sake an airplane propeller usually turns about 1500-3000 RPM. That hedgecutter is only spinning at the equivalent of an airplane engine at idle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

There absolutely are single-spool turboprops, where the power turbine and the compressor are physically on the same shaft. The TPE331 is one, the T-56 found on C-130s, C-2s, P-3s, etc is another. The NK-12 found on Tu-95s is a three-spool design.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Godholio posted:

Sometimes it is.

The Pratt and Whitney PT6 and PW100 families (which make up a majority of the civil turboprop market) are all free turbine designs, but there are also "single shaft" or "direct drive" engines where the prop gearbox is connected directly to the hot section of the engine.

Free turbines have the advantage of requiring far less energy to start (since the starter just has to get the gas generator spooled up), generally being quieter (the propeller can rotate slower because the gas generator and power sections don't have to rotate at the same speed), and they're generally harder to break if the pilot is kind of hamfisted.

Single shaft engines have the advantage of using fewer moving parts and responding faster to rapid power changes (although FADEC has reduced this difference), and they can also be more fuel efficient since there isn't the losses associated with having an extra turbine in the engine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

I as well. Learn something every day.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When you start trying to get the response of a piston engine, but the power capacity of a turbine, you start getting some weird poo poo.

But to address compressor stalls, many engines have variably controlled stators that can change the compression ratio and flow rate to attenuate surging and make start up easier.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Let's not forget that in God's chosen turboshaft configuration, the power turbine driveshaft goes back through the compressor shaft and out the front:

um excuse me posted:

But to address compressor stalls, many engines have variably controlled stators that can change the compression ratio and flow rate to attenuate surging and make start up easier.

Yep, and depending on the aircraft/engine type there might still be sudden stoppage maintenance action required for the drivetrain in response to compressor stall, even if they're not physically connected.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 29, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

I merely watch a lot of AgentJayZ :shobon:

For anyone that missed this or didn't know what it meant AgentJayZ is a guy with a YouTube channel that mainly wrenches on jet engines. Sometimes out of jets and sometimes out of power turbines. He's pretty chill and seems very knowledgeable. Some of the engines even have horrible mechanical failures.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

As a man with a decade's experience as a professional maintainer of turbines and gear assemblies, nothing can scare m...

um excuse me posted:

When you start trying to get the response of a piston engine, but the power capacity of a turbine, you start getting some weird poo poo.

]

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How do the Zorya direct reversing gas turbines work? My last boss had some experience with them but not enough to explain how they actually worked.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Elviscat posted:

As a man with a decade's experience as a professional maintainer of turbines and gear assemblies, nothing can scare m...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I don't know about you but to me a supercharged turbocharged dual prop anti-lag jet engine sounds pretty bitchin' to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't know about you but to me a supercharged turbocharged dual prop anti-lag jet engine sounds pretty bitchin' to me.

They were so so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, no. Fast handgun bullets can break the sound barrier easily, but propellor tips do not break the speed of sound on purpose for a good reason.

For example, the XF-84H Thunderscreech: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H_Thunderscreech

"The XF-84H was almost certainly the loudest aircraft ever built, earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger".[16] On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away.[17] Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches (61–76 cm) of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards."

The TU-95 Bear bomber has supersonic prop tips too.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ferremit posted:

Bear bomber

:stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

loving ouch. What happened? Lift the head and let coolant in? Or the crack suddenly got big enough let enough coolant in to hydrolock it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that thing's supercharger being driven by the prop/crank AND the turbocharger

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Ferremit posted:

The TU-95 Bear bomber has supersonic prop tips too.

So does the Harvard/T-6 Texan/SNJ ww2 trainer, which is why they make a pretty distinctive noise when they fly by. Supersonic tips not common, but not unheard of. But usually only supersonic at high settings. I don't have a cite but I seem to recall the efficiency goes way down once they start going supersonic.

The madness about the Thunderscreech is that the prop tips were supersonic at idle thrust.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

I bet that made a noise.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

I bet that made a noise.

Considering those tyres have around 110psi of pressure in them, and theres a HUGE volume of gas at that pressure in them, Im genuinely curious to find out how far down the bore hole that plug o tyre went

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Ferremit posted:

Considering those tyres have around 110psi of pressure in them, and theres a HUGE volume of gas at that pressure in them, Im genuinely curious to find out how far down the bore hole that plug o tyre went

At 6 inches in diameter something like 12,400 pounds of force if I did it right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr-Spain posted:

At 6 inches in diameter something like 12,400 pounds of force if I did it right.

Area is pi*r^2. 3 inch radius and 110psi, would be 990*pi or 3110 pounds.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of being horribly disfigured, I found this when opening all my old bookmarks:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/sets/72157626646768526/page2/

Edit: Oh and this:

You are welcome.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Is that thing's supercharger being driven by the prop/crank AND the turbocharger

The basic aim was to use the piston engine as a gas generator, similar to the combustors in a standard gas turbine. The turbine shaft was geared to the crank to add power and the exhaust of the turbine was used as thrust. It takes the concept of the power recovery turbine to a whole new level. Those were used on the Wright duplex cyclones (I think) and were exhaust gas driven turbines geared to the crank through a fluid coupling to allow extra shaft power.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I we're posting haul truck failures... this is one of my favourites.
http://nastyz28.com/threads/what-happens-when-you-over-rev-a-2500hp-78-litre-caterpillar-v18-engine.233923/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Good god, it's like the crankshaft hosed off into an H.R. Geiger painting.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Good god, it's like the crankshaft hosed off into an H.R. Geiger painting.

This is the best description. Make it a black and white monochrome and there you go.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

um excuse me posted:

This is some Rube Goldberg poo poo, aircraft engines have the most extreme weird engineering of any field. Maritime? Eh gently caress it gotta get those Newton Kilometers out of it, just add more displacement. Cars? Eh just add more cylinders. Aircraft? Well you see the counter-rotating prop is powered by the piston engine, and the turbine powers the inner shaft rotating prop. Now, the APU powers the...*screaming*

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

I bet that made a noise.

“Just put some cones around it, no one will hit it”

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ewiley posted:

“Just put some cones around it, no one will hit it”

...was almost certainly the train of thought from someone not familiar with mining trucks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm surprised haul trucks haven't gotten several cameras and a HUD or virtual reality headset yet. Seems like they would be an ideal application for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Seriously. Marvin Heemeyer solved this problem almost two decades ago, how has Cat not done so?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Seems to partially exist already

Cat Detect System
Knowing what's around your 793F at all times is important. The Cat Detect system is factory installed as standard equipment on 793F Mining Trucks. The full Cat Detect system, RADAR AND CAMERA, provides both audible and visual indications of detected objects. This system uses a combination of short and medium range radars which surround the machine, along with cameras on each side to allow the operator to confirm the detected object. The cameras supplement the radar alerts and are selectable by touch screen menus through an intuitive interface.

And Komatsu has KomVision™ All Around Monitoring System

The real poo poo is to just git rid of the operator and go autonomous but I think the mine has to be setup for that and I'm sure there's a bunch of up front costs

Galler fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 1, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Godholio posted:

Seriously. Marvin Heemeyer solved this problem almost two decades ago, how has Cat not done so?

Probably the same reason why, when I worked for a rural civil engineering firm, and I suggested some fancy flatscreens with advertising slide shows in our lobbies...and my boss said, hell no, people will think we're pretentious and we'll lose clients.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Probably the same reason why, when I worked for a rural civil engineering firm, and I suggested some fancy flatscreens with advertising slide shows in our lobbies...and my boss said, hell no, people will think we're pretentious and we'll lose clients.

Just some good old boys, sometimes flattened some cars :banjo:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I want my rock carriers to be strapping men with sacks overs their shoulders, no tech allowed

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Galler posted:

Seems to partially exist already

Cat Detect System
Knowing what's around your 793F at all times is important. The Cat Detect system is factory installed as standard equipment on 793F Mining Trucks. The full Cat Detect system, RADAR AND CAMERA, provides both audible and visual indications of detected objects. This system uses a combination of short and medium range radars which surround the machine, along with cameras on each side to allow the operator to confirm the detected object. The cameras supplement the radar alerts and are selectable by touch screen menus through an intuitive interface.

And Komatsu has KomVision™ All Around Monitoring System

The real poo poo is to just git rid of the operator and go autonomous but I think the mine has to be setup for that and I'm sure there's a bunch of up front costs

Rio Tinto has set up a couple of mines in the Pilbara with autonomous trucks, but yeah, the cost was stupendous to start with. The current, cheap solution to "how do we stop haul trucks from running things over" is "four meter fluoro LED-light poles on everything we don't want them to hit, continuous positive communication over the two-way and rigidly-adhered to separation protocols". Those things are all moderately effective, together they're all pretty effective, but more importantly, they're all The Right Price™.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

As opposed to the opposite approach. Attend a meeting in a conference room and there are 8 different kind of chairs some of which date back to the '70s. Yeah, that sets confidence in your clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Memento posted:

Rio Tinto has set up a couple of mines in the Pilbara with autonomous trucks, but yeah, the cost was stupendous to start with. The current, cheap solution to "how do we stop haul trucks from running things over" is "four meter fluoro LED-light poles on everything we don't want them to hit, continuous positive communication over the two-way and rigidly-adhered to separation protocols". Those things are all moderately effective, together they're all pretty effective, but more importantly, they're all The Right Price™.

That and firing anyone who hits something more than once