Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Has there been a good roguelike/lite shmup yet? (Preferably less on the bullet hell side) I kinda like some of the old school shmups like Raptor and Tyrian that gave you all sorts of neat new guns and upgrades; feel like that sort of thing would combo great with some proc-gen/run based kind of stuff, but haven't really heard of much like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

closest that i can think of is probably nova drift which is roguelite asteroids

theres monolith but its discrete rooms rather than a scrolling shmup style

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Has there been a good roguelike/lite shmup yet? (Preferably less on the bullet hell side) I kinda like some of the old school shmups like Raptor and Tyrian that gave you all sorts of neat new guns and upgrades; feel like that sort of thing would combo great with some proc-gen/run based kind of stuff, but haven't really heard of much like that.

It's a popular genre combination but I can't think of any that are specifically like Raptor/Tyrian.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Awesome! posted:

closest that i can think of is probably nova drift which is roguelite asteroids

theres monolith but its discrete rooms rather than a scrolling shmup style

Those both look like the might be interesting, thanks!

I wouldn't really say scrolling is a hard requirement. Ship + cool upgrades might alone be enough?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The upgrades are very very cool in Nova Drift. By the end of a run you can have everything from a laser beam death dealer, to a ship that attacks by sending out smaller drone ships, to a ship that doesn't even have guns and just rams into poo poo at the speed of light.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Oxyclean posted:

tyrian was my favourite game as a kid and ive been looking for a game like it ever since. Jets'n'Guns is similar in the sense that there's an upgradeable ship and a bunch of crazy weapons, but it's a linear set of missions that you can choose to repeat (in a tyrian-ish style) rather than a roguelike, and its also a side-scroller and not a vertical scroller

edit: steredenn is a roguelite sidescroller thing but i have never gotten very far in it so i dont know how many upgrades and such there are

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 25, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oxyclean posted:

Those both look like the might be interesting, thanks!

I wouldn't really say scrolling is a hard requirement. Ship + cool upgrades might alone be enough?
monolith is very very good+has a sick tlb but doesn't have the best per run progression/upgrades system

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I still play Streets of Rogue every day. It's my perfect quick arcade game. I'm currently doing runs of the Hacket with a bunch of mutators to make it a really fast and dangerous game where I go around causing maximum chaos. I can't wait for the sequel.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oxyclean posted:

The latest mainline Touhou game whose demo came out on Steam yesterday has minor roguelike elements, in that you find random artifacts that change how you play a little each time. Not quite what you were asking, but I thought it was amusing timing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oxyclean posted:

Soo.... that's just Monolith, then? Described to a T? Didn't buy it myself but I've heard great things about it. I suppose technically it leans harder into bulletspam than Raptor did, but it's still much less than full fledged japanese titles.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oxyclean posted:

I have no idea how it didn't occur to me the first time I read this post but you might be looking for The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. It's a scrolling horizontal shooter that's all fixed boss fights (but there are a whole LOT of boss fights) and you go through a random selection each run, picking up new permanent power ups as you go, and meta-unlocking new items and bosses to fight and stuff. Really fun shmup gameplay and tons of content -- it's near the end of a long early access period right now and basically all it's missing are some cutscenes.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Oxyclean posted:

I'll second Nova Drift for this, it's really well done. Runs last about ten minutes once you get the hang of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

goferchan posted:

I have no idea how it didn't occur to me the first time I read this post but you might be looking for The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. It's a scrolling horizontal shooter that's all fixed boss fights (but there are a whole LOT of boss fights) and you go through a random selection each run, picking up new permanent power ups as you go, and meta-unlocking new items and bosses to fight and stuff. Really fun shmup gameplay and tons of content -- it's near the end of a long early access period right now and basically all it's missing are some cutscenes.

i'll second this. loads of different encounters and patterns to learn

it technically is a bullet hell I guess but it's much easier than the games that inspired the term, especially at the start.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

risk of rain 2 got a dope update today

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/632360/view/3008941395560828301

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ooh, it's got a proper Morgue now, I like seeing that

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gerdalti posted:

I'll second Nova Drift for this, it's really well done. Runs last about ten minutes once you get the hang of it.

Ten minutes? More like 20 to 30 minutes... all of my long runs go for at least 20 or more. Max difficulty options, typically ending around wave 250-300.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dandy Ace drops today, is anyone excited for that?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's worth pointing out that you probably won't have a great time with Monolith unless you're pretty decent at bullet hell games. From what I played of it it didn't seem like the kind of thing where you can break the game over your knee eventually, dodging 50+ bullets is always going to be something you need to be able to do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's worth pointing out that you probably won't have a great time with Monolith unless you're pretty decent at bullet hell games. From what I played of it it didn't seem like the kind of thing where you can break the game over your knee eventually, dodging 50+ bullets is always going to be something you need to be able to do.

It's a fuckin thrill to play, but yeah, it earns the Bullet Hell moniker for sure

Here's just about as bad (good?) as it gets, for a barometer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKA8TydLX28

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

I didn't find the demo particularly engaging. Friend of mine bought and refunded the full thing within an hour as well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Monster Train DLC just dropped and it's pretty rad. The new faction's a little bit complicated to play (it introduces several new mechanics and has a whole resource of its own), but it's a blast once you start getting clever with it and putting together interesting card combinations.

The Shards system is kinda neat as well - some of the enhanced enemies are extremely nasty, but the advantages and rewards are really good, so it mostly seems to balance out. In particular, fusing units is incredible - you can do insane poo poo like taking the Harvest effects from the Melting Remnants' Baron units and just slapping them on anything you want. It opens up a whole new world of weird and wonderful synergies between different factions.

The optional "true boss" is pretty drat diesel, but in a way that doesn't seem as frustrating as some of Seraph's aspects, so that's a plus. It also has a :krad: soundtrack.

In conclusion: it's really good.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 26, 2021

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Monster Train DLC just dropped and it's pretty rad. The new faction's a little bit complicated to play (it introduces several new mechanics and has a whole resource of its own), but it's a blast once you start getting clever with it and putting together interesting card combinations.

The Shards system is kinda neat as well - some of the enhanced enemies are extremely nasty, but the advantages and rewards are really good, so it mostly seems to balance out. In particular, fusing units is incredible - you can do insane poo poo like taking the Harvest effects from the Melting Remnants' Baron units and just slapping them on anything you want. It opens up a whole new world of weird and wonderful synergies between different factions.

The optional "true boss" is pretty drat diesel, but in a way that doesn't seem as frustrating as some of Seraph's aspects, so that's a plus. It also has a :krad: soundtrack.

The new faction seems really weak imo, but I've not messed with it much nor unlocked everything. Some of the upgrades that bosses get from the new shard system also seem a bit ridiculous-one of my first runs I was cruising along just fine until the seraph when I got blew up-apparently Seraph had 18 lifesteal which negated basically my biggest floor. I'm gonna mess around some but I'm wondering if the difficulty upgrade needed to see the final boss is gonna lock out strats even harder than like, the heart does on high ascension in slay the spire.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Junpei posted:

Dandy Ace report.
At first it seems a very nice roguelite. It's exactly what it seemed in the trailers or demo, a mix between Hades (perspective and controls) and Dead Cells (4 active items to use, health potion).
It has 4 difficulties, 14 levels (but there are divergent paths that you unlock like in Dead Cells, you play 9 in each run) .

Your character has 4 slots, where you assign four cards. Cards are dashes, attacks, or attacks with some utility or cc, from what I've seen until now,. There are 50 in total. Every card slot also has a upgrade slot. The interesting thing is that all cards are both normal cards and upgrades, each one has a upgrade effect in addition to the normal use, so a poison card can be used as a poison wave or as a way to add poison effect to any other card, if used as upgrade. For example you can add a brief charm effect or an aoe damage to your dash, or add status effects like stun or vulnerable, or magical shrapnel. It isn't a system as flexible as Hades, but it allows for some builds, as interestingly you can swap them at any time, and from primary to upgrade slot or whatever.

There is some metaprogression but it doesn't seem super strong. The enemy variety seems adequate, in the first three levels I've see melee enemies, ranged enemies, fixed enemies (turrets), teleporting enemies, enemies with spheres that orbited around, enemies that summon an attack on your feet, enemies that throw aoe waves that grow with distance, and a pair more. It seems there are 25 in total, and 4 bosses.

So... what's the issue? The issue is the combat itself. It isn't bad. But as an action game, it's veers intro mediocrity. I'm talking of animation quality, feel of attacks, enemy reactions, special effects, etc. It's far away from Curse of Dead Gods, Hades or Dead Cells. And it's hard to grind the first levels getting the upgrades, repeating them, if the combat isn't as sweet as it should be.

Apart from the combat feel, it's also more difficult than it seems at first, once you reach the 4th level, because it lack dash invulnerability, brief hit invulnerability, you can't interrupt enemies attacking, you don't have the rally effect from DC, nor the 1 hit protection. All the series of little tricks good games use to make it feel more fair.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

There's a thing or so at least in the works beyond the already mentioned, though the bullet hell aspects remain almost inescapable in general these days. Let me check my deeper ether reckonings...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/953330/Thyrian_Defenders/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489300/Operation_STEEL/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/374630/Mactabilis/ (Darkhorse semi-classic IMO)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1232100/BroodStar/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/710220/DreadStar_The_Quest_for_Revenge/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/645720/Fabular_Once_upon_a_Spacetime/

I think that's roughly the spread to date, may have missed a thing or few.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The best Roguelike shump I've played has been Steredenn. Great visual, fun butt rock sound track and a ton of varied and interesting weapons to unlock. You don't upgrade weapons through but rather mix and match two and pick up random powerups between stages.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oxyclean posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is this in spades, you pick up different upgrades as you go through bosses and pick which bosses to fight. The game owns.

e: It also has the best difficulty curve of all time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Found this pretty chill and new Let's Play of Unreal World if anyone is interested in how this game plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFdHojhC60

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

why have I been sleeping on Streets of Rogue? I am in love with causing chaos in this messed up city.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

why have I been sleeping on Streets of Rogue? I am in love with causing chaos in this messed up city.

I've fallen in love with the Zombie character for sheer chaos.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have several hundred hours in SoR and still pop on for the daily runs. Game is extremely good. Shame the thread died.

Kchama posted:

I've fallen in love with the Zombie character for sheer chaos.

Zombie was my first win. I was voted mayor by a horde of zombies. hilarious.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

One of the new faction's secondary champion aspects gets back a consumed spell on resolve. It helps with one of the worst Seraph variants, the one that consumes your first spell. I just won against the new final boss by grabbing that Awoken card that has consume and draws X cards with -1 cost. Getting that back every turn with the X+3 artifact got me so many triggers.

My favorite balance change from the expansion is that the top floor penalty for high covenant was changed from "apply 1 dazed" to "apply 1 emberdrain", so you can actually put units up there in an emergency and not have them be useless against things that are about to mess up your pyre. Worst non-change is that they didn't nerf that damned stealth boss.

alansmithee posted:

The new faction seems really weak imo, but I've not messed with it much nor unlocked everything. Some of the upgrades that bosses get from the new shard system also seem a bit ridiculous-one of my first runs I was cruising along just fine until the seraph when I got blew up-apparently Seraph had 18 lifesteal which negated basically my biggest floor. I'm gonna mess around some but I'm wondering if the difficulty upgrade needed to see the final boss is gonna lock out strats even harder than like, the heart does on high ascension in slay the spire.

They're probably in the S tier with Melting Remnant, imo. They have so much synergy. One tip I've found is to put your best stuff on the second floor, because the faction's targeted removal can easily take care of those hard-hitting back-line units before they move up.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thanks to those of you who recommended Chrono Ark. That game scratches JUST the right itch. Must be something in the water in Korea, as it reminds me a LOT (in terms of aesthetic) of the Project Moon games like Library of Ruina and Lobotomy Corporation + a little bit of the characterization of Troubleshooters. Card play is interesting and while the gameplay loop seems like it might be a bit short (I got 3/4 of the way through the game before getting smacked around by the Reaper on Normal) I can see where unlocking characters, playing on Expert, variable bosses, and possibly additional future content will keep it fresh.

It's nice. Certainly not as polished as, say, Monster Train but also a bit more suited to my weirdo tastes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LifeLynx posted:

My favorite balance change from the expansion is that the top floor penalty for high covenant was changed from "apply 1 dazed" to "apply 1 emberdrain", so you can actually put units up there in an emergency and not have them be useless against things that are about to mess up your pyre. Worst non-change is that they didn't nerf that damned stealth boss.

They're probably in the S tier with Melting Remnant, imo. They have so much synergy. One tip I've found is to put your best stuff on the second floor, because the faction's targeted removal can easily take care of those hard-hitting back-line units before they move up.

Yeah I didn't notice that change to covenant and kept being like "where is all this emberdrain coming from"? that said I agree it's good. And yeah the stealth boss is annoying cause it feels like he's either an entire pushover or just ends you with no real in between.

And tbh I probably wouldn't have had Melting Remnant as S tier, but I've not played much since the last big patch. It always feels like I can almost see all the synergies, but nothing seems to scale hard. Reap seems like bad frostbite, no monster seems to have the go to things of other factions like thorns/regen stacking, or rage/multistrike, or the morsel goofiness, etc. I'm sure I'm just missing unlocks and experience (not to mention the increased difficulty of trying to get to the final final boss) but it just feels a bit weak so far.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turin Turambar posted:

So... what's the issue? The issue is the combat itself. It isn't bad. But as an action game, it's veers intro mediocrity. I'm talking of animation quality, feel of attacks, enemy reactions, special effects, etc. It's far away from Curse of Dead Gods, Hades or Dead Cells. And it's hard to grind the first levels getting the upgrades, repeating them, if the combat isn't as sweet as it should be.
definitely my issue when i played the demo. the combat just didnt feel good to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Thanks to those of you who recommended Chrono Ark. That game scratches JUST the right itch. Must be something in the water in Korea, as it reminds me a LOT (in terms of aesthetic) of the Project Moon games like Library of Ruina and Lobotomy Corporation + a little bit of the characterization of Troubleshooters. Card play is interesting and while the gameplay loop seems like it might be a bit short (I got 3/4 of the way through the game before getting smacked around by the Reaper on Normal) I can see where unlocking characters, playing on Expert, variable bosses, and possibly additional future content will keep it fresh.

It's nice. Certainly not as polished as, say, Monster Train but also a bit more suited to my weirdo tastes.

In my experience, each loop takes about an hour and a half to reach and defeat/lose to the final boss. It did seem a bit short at first, like "what, that's it?" but as I've done it more often I feel like might be more frustrating if it were any longer.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Clarste posted:

In my experience, each loop takes about an hour and a half to reach and defeat/lose to the final boss. It did seem a bit short at first, like "what, that's it?" but as I've done it more often I feel like might be more frustrating if it were any longer.

...Yeah, I talked a good game but I've been getting *schooled* after my first run for reasons I don't *entirely* grasp. The clock boss who puts Countdown on all of your cards except whichever one you fast-forward has me *completely* flummoxed. I'm enjoying unlocking the characters and I think the game will only get better as more content is added.

If anyone has tips on Clock Boss, let me know. I've beat my head against his wall twice and both times it's been pretty bad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I usually just completely ignore what the boss is doing and focus on cycling the stacking damage buff you get that moves right every time you use a Countdown skill with that character. As long as you do an AOE heal or whatever every so often he's not too threatening. I almost never use the instant skill you get, since that just slows down the cycling. I also ignore the add and let it die to AOE attacks, or just kill it after the boss is dead. The damage buff really lets you burst him down pretty easily, and that always makes things way easier. TBH I consider him one of the easier bosses...

Edit: If you think about it, it's kind of like you're just playing a normal turn-based game where you choose all your actions at the start of the turn. Except you get a damage buff.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 27, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I recommend the DLC too if you're liking the base game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I recommend the DLC too if you're liking the base game

I grabbed it as it's on sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

alansmithee posted:

And tbh I probably wouldn't have had Melting Remnant as S tier,

Good use of Reform, Stealth, and Harvest mechanics (wickless baron lol) can absolutely clown basically anything in the game. Melting Remnants would be strong as hell with no allied faction at all; if you pair them with someone that can give them Sweep or expensive Multistrike units (which become free and vastly deadlier when Reformed), they're downright nuts.

e: Wildenten with Sweep and Root, combined with steady Stealth from Remnants cards, breaks the game completely in half. As long as you don't let him kill himself on thorns or something, he can sit on the bottom floor and solo everything by himself forever while you prepare for the boss. Although in fairness that specific champion is insane no matter what ally clan you're running with :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 27, 2021