Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The problem with most of the bar style setups like that is that they keep the two monitors too flat in relation to each other. I like my multiple monitors in more of a wraparound configuration, basically like a curved ultrawide. Flat side by side looks good in photos but I don't like using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

My wife has a dairy allergy. Her place of employment has had 3 catered and/or pot luck lunches since she started, and for all of them, literally everything had dairy in it somehow or some way. I don't kn ow how people managed to get dairy into literally every single dish that was served, but that might also explain why most of her coworkers are land whales.

The worst part of it? I work harder and longer hours than every single person there, and upper management knows I don't eat meat.

I officially started to look for a different job that day, I already have three interviews lined up. gently caress them and gently caress their poo poo attitude.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

I have actually purchased those before at work and hated them so much I returned them. Independent arms are the way to go.

Never found a workspace that the crossbar was appropriate for. I guess if you're up against a wall it could work. All the crossbar users demanded that they be replaced with individual arms.

God we spent a shitload of money on those loving arms.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

The problem with most of the bar style setups like that is that they keep the two monitors too flat in relation to each other. I like my multiple monitors in more of a wraparound configuration, basically like a curved ultrawide. Flat side by side looks good in photos but I don't like using it.

There’s a fair amount of depth where you can angle the monitors in relation to each other. I guess it’s good that people try them and don’t like them, makes them easy to pick up on eBay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think the main concern to catering for an office is to provide things that most of the office will eat. People with issues with dairy or meat aren't normally going to be the majority. You just can't make everyone happy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Iron Rose posted:

Holy poo poo dude. Are you so terrified of human interaction that you won't seize the opportunity to take a break and chat to your coworkers like you're all human beings for 40 minutes a week? Or do you feel so overworked thst you can't take 40 minutes, once a week.

Either way that's just really sad.

The problem is that our team has lost 4 people and we're swamped with work - office renovating, last minute new hires, planning a full on move to a new building, scheduled computer replacements and all that. Every week the meeting is the same: a bunch of people trying to talk over each other, stupid quips or small talk, and a boss who's too spineless to squash it so we can get back to work. This is literally a meeting that could be cut in half and less wasteful of all our time - if my boss can come to me and tell me to meet for 30 min to go over the meeting I missed, why can't he cut the actual meeting down and tell people to can the excess bullshit?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

I keep meaning to look into computer desks since I want to have space for a dual monitor and not have stuff in the way of my mouse, but 400bux.

Anybody have one they like?

I got a Bush Business desk for home and think its great. Nice surface on it, desk feels solid. Only downside with it is there isn’t a very big back lip to attach an arm mount. If it had an extra inch there it would be perfect.

I don’t live near an IKEA so this was the best I could find. And it’s free shipping on Amazon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

I think the main concern to catering for an office is to provide things that most of the office will eat. People with issues with dairy or meat aren't normally going to be the majority. You just can't make everyone happy.

Counterpoint: You can cater a meal for everyone if your corporate culture doesn't suck and try to pass off "bagel quarters" as "food provided", and catering (both literally and figuratively) only to the majority is pretty dumb

My job does monthly catered "all hands" lunch+meeting combos and the menu literally comes with a "vegetarian/vegan/gluten/dairy/nut/soy" key with at least something for everyone. You can cheap out if you want but don't make it sound like it's this literally impossible thing to have more than one dish catered in. There may still be people complaining but I guarantee the people who legitimately cannot eat the "default" are going to be a lot happier that their deadly peanut allergy isn't something their company just shrugs and says "well just starve then" about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Counterpoint: You can cater a meal for everyone if your corporate culture doesn't suck and try to pass off "bagel quarters" as "food provided", and catering (both literally and figuratively) only to the majority is pretty dumb

My job does monthly catered "all hands" lunch+meeting combos and the menu literally comes with a "vegetarian/vegan/gluten/dairy/nut/soy" key with at least something for everyone. You can cheap out if you want but don't make it sound like it's this literally impossible thing to have more than one dish catered in. There may still be people complaining but I guarantee the people who legitimately cannot eat the "default" are going to be a lot happier that their deadly peanut allergy isn't something their company just shrugs and says "well just starve then" about.

My hats off to the people who will put that kind of effort into a catered lunch. Sounds pretty expensive as well. And there are bigger issues at play if people are left to starve if the catered lunch doesn't work out for them.

When we get something catered that I am not a fan of it barely moves the needle for me.

I am pretty sure those with a deadly peanut allergy aren't trusted catered poo poo anyway.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 11, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

New remote user got a VOIP phone and is now insisting we pay for an ISP visit that was "unnecessary" and "didn't fix the problem". She has 2 cables running from the PoE injector to the phone it's powered on and not finding a connection (for obvious reasons it's not connected to a network). ISP came out and said everything is plugged in fine and left her with a bill. This is after I spent 2 hours this morning trying to walk her through setting it up.

She insists the PoE injector is black. The phone company has always bundled a white one with it. She insists the black model doesn't need to plug into her router, and besides she only has wireless this one works wirelessly! It's 2017 no one uses wires!

Hour 7 since the start of this, and she called to inform me of the ISP and wants more help. Typing this while she "check" again. I'm ready to just hang up and send her to voice mail.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

My hats off to the people who will put that kind of effort into a catered lunch. Sounds pretty expensive as well. And there are bigger issues at play if people are left to starve if the catered lunch doesn't work out for them.

When we get something catered that I am not a fan of it barely moves the needle for me.

Different small things rank differently for different people v:shobon:v

Even if you want to remove the "do it to not be an rear end in a top hat" aspect of it and look at it from a purely monetary standpoint, there are small and cheap (especially compared to, say, hiring and training a replacement employee) things that you can do for your employees that say "We care about you(r ability to make money for us)" to improve morale and productivity. For most of the people in this thread it'd likely be things like "bigger monitors", "more comfortable chairs", and "an office plan that doesn't put me in a place where people can easily drop in on the way to the bathroom to ask me for a new keyboard", but for anyone that's dealing with accessibility/inclusion issues, taking care of them and doing so in a way where they don't have to make a fuss or get labelled as "the office whiner" is huge. Even something as simple as "provide food that they're not allergic to so they can participate in the office get-together instead of being told to bring their own food or eat somewhere else".

The opposite of that is the short term nickle-and-diming red flag stuff that we bitch about here on a regular basis and drives us to :yotj:.

BUT ANYWAYS.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure those with a deadly peanut allergy aren't trusted catered poo poo anyway.
Maybe this is a Seattle thing, but I can't remember the last time I saw a company lunch that didn't include gluten-free, vegetarian, and dairy-free options, though maybe that's a medium/large business thing? Even back when I was working at my horribly toxic small law firm job (~30 people, including the owners), the HR person still checked with people for dietary requirements, and made a point of having the non-dairy stuff for our two non-dairy people, and vegetarian options for the one vegetarian person. But again, maybe that's because it's easier to get those vegetarian/non-dairy/gluten-free options out here than it is in a lot of other places in the country.

Even for our department, my boss makes a point of getting a couple of gluten-free bagels for the gluten-free guy when she brings in bagels. Though, he generally has to just suck it up for donuts.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

There's degrees between "not a fan" and "will kill me if I eat it." And "not eating meat" for whatever reason is a pretty low bar to clear, as far as accommodations for diets go.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There's degrees between "not a fan" and "will kill me if I eat it." And "not eating meat" for whatever reason is a pretty low bar to clear, as far as accommodations for diets go.

Sickening is in Texas, so finding a meal without meat may be harder than you expect. Finding one without meat that is also palatable to the rest of the office may in fact be expensive.

They have vegetarian places in DFW, but as a general rule places only make good food that is meat or is vegetarian, not both.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
The Amazon rivalry at the place I work at is occasionally pretty noticeable. The whole "#1 company in the world" thing has got people insecure. I don't work there myself but I work at a similar fortune 500 company & they definitely think about that stuff

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
So it seems that time tracking is pissing everyone on my (5 person) team off, and three of them have mentioned to me that they very recently did some searching and realized how badly we're being underpaid. It's going to be interesting to see what happens if everyone :yotj:s at the same time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

So it seems that time tracking is pissing everyone on my (5 person) team off, and three of them have mentioned to me that they very recently did some searching and realized how badly we're being underpaid. It's going to be interesting to see what happens if everyone :yotj:s at the same time.

It's always fun to see the power-dynamic shift.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Eh, realistically people grumble but probably won't act. If you've been there for 10 years it's for a reason; you've surely been screwed before. Hell, I'm still on the fence.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes, the grass looks greener on the other side because it really is greener. So much loving greener. Like, you didn't realize what green was until you went into that other yard.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Things pissing me off. Having this huuuuuge company Christmas party with an open bar last night. The Christmas gift got revealed - A free Nintendo switch for all employees - inspirational speakers, the works. It was a fantastic, fun event and people really let go in a good way.

And then at 11pm my boss asks us who's free to come in for 7am to babysit the AV for an early morning meeting. Starting at 7am. Neither of my colleagues are free. So now I'm dragging my rear end to work, thankfully not hungover, a good three hours before I normally go in to work and fuuuuuck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Iron Rose posted:

Things pissing me off. Having this huuuuuge company Christmas party with an open bar last night. The Christmas gift got revealed - A free Nintendo switch for all employees - inspirational speakers, the works. It was a fantastic, fun event and people really let go in a good way.

And then at 11pm my boss asks us who's free to come in for 7am to babysit the AV for an early morning meeting. Starting at 7am. Neither of my colleagues are free. So now I'm dragging my rear end to work, thankfully not hungover, a good three hours before I normally go in to work and fuuuuuck.

Seems you're forgetting you now possess a Nintendo Switch to use while babysitting the AV :v:.

Also goddamn, that is an amazing gift from a company.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seems you're forgetting you now possess a Nintendo Switch to use while babysitting the AV :v:.

Also goddamn, that is an amazing gift from a company.

This. An entire day of doing nothing but playing a Switch while getting paid? gently caress yeah!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean I'm,still doing it and not kicking up a fuss as a result but man don't spring that on me at 11pm the day loving before at a party where everyone drinking heavily is the norm.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I'd take a free Switch and an early finish with a hangover-free morning to babysit a meeting. I drink far less than I used to anyway so a reason to disappear when everyone else is shitfaced isn't too terrible.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

This. An entire day of doing nothing but playing a Switch while getting paid? gently caress yeah!

Oh no no no. When I say babysitting the AV, what I mean is standing off to the side in case the speakers nerds computer help, and to make sure the laptop we have hooked up to the TVs didn't poo poo itself overnight. There's no private area we run the tech through.

Like it's not a big job, it's really just the lateness of the ask that has me slightly salty since I need to get up three hours earlier than I intended.

I'm aware the free Nintendo Switch is not painting me in the best of lights here, to which my response is gently caress off I'm tired :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Iron Rose posted:

my response is gently caress off I'm tired :v:

That is completely fair

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Me and my raffle ticket to win a bottle of wine hate you.

Oh, but we did have an open bar....shame it was a single day event and everyone had to drive home that pm, so we could only drink orange juice.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's a great Christmas gift.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spog posted:

Oh, but we did have an open bar....shame it was a single day event and everyone had to drive home that pm, so we could only drink orange juice.
This is where you weigh the value of an open bar against the cost of taking a cab home or sleeping in the office.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That reminds me I need to submit the expense report for my Uber rides to/from the holiday party.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
We rented out Dave and Buster's and got 2 drink tickets each.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RFC2324 posted:

Sickening is in Texas,

Oh, right. I completely forgot. Yeah, veggie-tarians are hosed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tech lead really showed his backbone today. He rightly pointed out that he could work more efficiently if he built up a backlog of work up to christmas and shipped it first thing in January since some process improvements would be out by then and he'd save days in signoff.

Manager said no, it's more important to be seen to be doing something even if that thing isn't particularly worthwhile and even if it slows us down in the long run.

Tech lead's response, a meek "ok I can do that".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So my initial early morning irritation actually ended up being justified, because our vendor hosed us and long story short, we weren't able to play to all the speakers in our new and fancy cafe and I looked like an rear end in a top hat in front of the executives and senior people wanting random audio requests. Which, of course, were not submitted in advance.

Now that I'm more awake, it's a little rich to get annoyed about an ask to come for 7:30am the literal day after we all get switches (or a nice camera, or a really nice set of luggage). Even if it did come in at 11pm the night before.

Free booze all night long though, and ubers home.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Tech lead really showed his backbone today. He rightly pointed out that he could work more efficiently if he built up a backlog of work up to christmas and shipped it first thing in January since some process improvements would be out by then and he'd save days in signoff.

Manager said no, it's more important to be seen to be doing something even if that thing isn't particularly worthwhile and even if it slows us down in the long run.

Tech lead's response, a meek "ok I can do that".

Dude was just told "what you do doesn't matter, as long as you're doing anything." You sure it was meek, or was it the revelation he doesn't have to give a poo poo any more?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Meeting: "we need someone to implement this feature"
*awkward silence*
My dumb rear end: "I'll do it!"
Boss: "great, thanks"

Get 'er done, push the change out, am pretty pleased with my solution.

Instantly the peanut gallery shows up: "why didn't you use my old code that does this same thing?"

Well then why the gently caress didn't you speak up when everyone was in a room together? :fuckoff:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Dude was just told "what you do doesn't matter, as long as you're doing anything." You sure it was meek, or was it the revelation he doesn't have to give a poo poo any more?

He still wants to do things right, just not enough to stand up to anyone. Sounds pretty meek to me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just got my Christmas bonus: They left go the receptionist at our office that was really nice and had been working there for over a decade, and have decided to forgo having any receptionist at all.
It is weird watching my company die.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sefal posted:

That's a great Christmas gift.

The amount of badass in this post is not lost on me, friend.

Re: Christmas gifts. I get the Friday the 22nd off despite my vacation not starting until the Monday. I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean I'm,still doing it and not kicking up a fuss as a result but man don't spring that on me at 11pm the day loving before at a party where everyone drinking heavily is the norm.

See I once went to some big rear end company party since the place was shutting down (temporary project business) and they held a raffle with the ticket being stuck under your seat, that night out of multiple prizes I won an iPad 2. Now there was a free open bar (you had tokens you could use) and a free dinner, but once I got the public announcement over I bounced the gently caress out of the party because I was getting mad evils from everyone.