Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If the split goes through, I hope that FFG publishes a Forbidden Stars-like game with the 40k filed off that's technically compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kai Tave posted:

The real question is what happens if FFG and GW split re: already published products, such as Forbidden Stars or Chaos in the Old World? Does FFG retain the right to reprint things they've already published or do they have to effectively discontinue everything once they run out of stock?
Chaos in the Old Republic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dropkickpikachu posted:

Rumors are surfacing that FFG and Games Workshop are about to call it splits since they're releasing the next cycle of conquest war packs really fast and they haven't announced a new deluxe expansion yet and keep saying "no comment at this time" when asked about future expansions.

That plus FFG starting to make their own line of fantasy miniatures with the RuneWars stuff, no further expansions announced for Warhammer Quest ACG, nothing new for Forbidden Stars, etc.

I get the feeling Games Workshop's ego is starting to kick in and they're getting defensive. I think FFG makes superior products out of all of their IP and they know it and they're ashamed. gently caress you Games Workshop.

Good riddance. Let FFG do their own thing and not help popularize GW's BS.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

What's the contention between FFG and Hasbro? Aren't they owned by ANA or whatever?

Industry insider time! Disclaimer: I've never worked for Hasbro, WotC, FFG, or ANA, so this is all through the GAMA grapevine at the time of the kerfuffle.

Hasbro owns the exclusive licensing rights to produce Star Wars-based board games. They've largely used this license to flog Star Wars Monopoly and Star Wars Risk, though occasionally they've coughed up something like The Queen's Gambit.

FFG (and now ANA) own the licensing rights to produce Star Wars-based card games, miniatures games, and roleplaying games. Not board games.

Either through a misunderstanding of the license terms or just sheer cheekiness, FFG releases ImpAss, arguing that it falls under their purview as a miniatures game. Hence the entirely tacked-on 1v1 mode.

Hasbro's lawyers proceeded to have a loving field day, and FFG is lucky it escaped with all its teeth. (And Netrunner. There's some speculation, gently caress if I know any concrete source, that Hasbro threatened to pull back the Netrunner license, which would've kneecapped FFG's second biggest revenue stream at the time.) As a result, Hasbro now gets a cut of ImpAss sales AND gets to dictate distributor terms to FFG for ImpAss products. Plus probably some other concessions that I have no idea about.

So FFG is understandably really gunshy about pissing off Hasbro again.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kai Tave posted:

The real question is what happens if FFG and GW split re: already published products, such as Forbidden Stars or Chaos in the Old World? Does FFG retain the right to reprint things they've already published or do they have to effectively discontinue everything once they run out of stock?

The latter. Licensing agreements prohibit a company from producing any licensed material after the contract expires. If GW shitcans FFG, grab what you want ASAP because it won't be coming back.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Crackbone posted:

The latter. Licensing agreements prohibit a company from producing any licensed material after the contract expires. If GW shitcans FFG, grab what you want ASAP because it won't be coming back.

That's what I thought. I may have to bite the bullet and go all-in on an FFG buying spree if the arrangement officially falls through.

Gutter Owl posted:

Industry insider time! Disclaimer: I've never worked for Hasbro, WotC, FFG, or ANA, so this is all through the GAMA grapevine at the time of the kerfuffle.

Hasbro owns the exclusive licensing rights to produce Star Wars-based board games. They've largely used this license to flog Star Wars Monopoly and Star Wars Risk, though occasionally they've coughed up something like The Queen's Gambit.

FFG (and now ANA) own the licensing rights to produce Star Wars-based card games, miniatures games, and roleplaying games. Not board games.

Either through a misunderstanding of the license terms or just sheer cheekiness, FFG releases ImpAss, arguing that it falls under their purview as a miniatures game. Hence the entirely tacked-on 1v1 mode.

Hasbro's lawyers proceeded to have a loving field day, and FFG is lucky it escaped with all its teeth. (And Netrunner. There's some speculation, gently caress if I know any concrete source, that Hasbro threatened to pull back the Netrunner license, which would've kneecapped FFG's second biggest revenue stream at the time.) As a result, Hasbro now gets a cut of ImpAss sales AND gets to dictate distributor terms to FFG for ImpAss products. Plus probably some other concessions that I have no idea about.

So FFG is understandably really gunshy about pissing off Hasbro again.

This is also why FFG can't produce pdf versions of its Star Wars RPGs if I recall correctly, because in licensing term legalese those count as "digital games" and EA has the exclusive license to produce digital games for Star Wars.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xelkelvos posted:

If the split goes through, I hope that FFG publishes a Forbidden Stars-like game with the 40k filed off that's technically compatible

They already did, didn't they? I'm sure I remember someone saying Forbidden Stars is Starcraft: the Game with 40k glued on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If they want to continue/rebrand Forbidden Stars, it's trivial to just adapt it to their Twilight Imperium universe, which is probably what they should have done anyway since the flavor of Forbidden Stars is quite distant.

Conquest relies a bit more on its flavor, and good luck getting people to double dip on an LCG, so I assume it would just be gone. Sad, since it's my favorite of their LCGs.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GrandpaPants posted:

If they want to continue/rebrand Forbidden Stars, it's trivial to just adapt it to their Twilight Imperium universe, which is probably what they should have done anyway since the flavor of Forbidden Stars is quite distant.

But what's not trivial is the amount of work to rebuild the game divorced of GW art/assets. None of the GW stuff is considered "classic", I doubt they'd want to put the money into redoing it from scratch for the few people who didn't buy it already.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
To add to the FFG misery pile, Fury of Dracula is also a GW license.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gutter Owl posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm gonna have to pick that up now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gutter Owl posted:

Industry insider time!

Bwa ha ha oh goddamn I hope those stories are true, that poo poo is so loving rich.

"Gee, it's 2014 and we've become a 30 million dollar company! Nothing can stop us now! I feel it's time to go gently caress with a company over 100 times bigger than us." Also, the Netrunner 'Don't poo poo where you eat' angle is priceless.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

theroachman posted:

I'm trying to think of a game that has player decisions but zero strategy and I'm drawing a blank.

Russian roulette?

Finally built a deck and managed to win the first of LOTR LCG. I plan to work through the first scenario a few more times before I modify the deck. Still screwing up the flow now and the , but it's a perfect game to take when I travel for work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ropes4u posted:

Russian roulette?

That one fits except you actually want to draw a blank there

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm relatively sure that Russian Roulette is compulsory, because they shoot you anyway if you stop playing. Maybe that qualifies as a choice?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

:golfclap:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Gutter Owl posted:

Also Talisman. But it's mostly run its course (into the ground).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I kind of want to see the ultimate irony of FFG having to re-release Star Wars Rebellion, itself a thinly veiled Freedom in the Galaxy which was a Star Wars game made before Avalon Hill bothered to secure the license, and call it Rebellion in the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Magnetic North posted:

Bwa ha ha oh goddamn I hope those stories are true, that poo poo is so loving rich.

"Gee, it's 2014 and we've become a 30 million dollar company! Nothing can stop us now! I feel it's time to go gently caress with a company over 100 times bigger than us." Also, the Netrunner 'Don't poo poo where you eat' angle is priceless.

I can pretty much confirm what he said there, yeah. FFG hosed that one up.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
can i please get a gimme some fuckin cubes lmao

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Trip report: forbidden stars is the best game I have played all year

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm not so sure they really hosed up though. I reckon everybody involved makes good money off ImpAss and an app would further grow sales.

Maybe they currently aren't afraid of Hasbro but EA?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Has anyone tried the Bloodborne dice game yet because I'm curious but also certain from their ad copy that it'll be poo poo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I really hope GW disappears up its own rear end and cancels their highly lucrative games licenses with FFG so we can watch Asmodee slowly begin to unhinge its jaw and slither towards Nottingham, England

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
On Time Stories: So like others have said, the story is garbage at best and offensive at worst (Asylum campaign). The central mystery, if it can be called that, seemed incidental to the actions you take in the game, and the point-and-click tableaus and dice-rolling challenges barely qualify as interactive. There is a certain satisfaction when you encounter a card and can go "Oh, I have that item!"", but it's chancek as much as anything. The game seems to imply that you should be able to win your first time through, and while I haven't mathed it out I don't think it's possible even if you had perfect luck in your choices (unless maybe you also had perfect luck with that stupid die that determines how much time you spend each turn). Resetting the game felt lovely; being able to keep certain things the same felt cool, but still frustrating for the amount of retracing your steps we still had to do, and I can imagine it would feel a lot worse if had we missed our "checkpoints" (which we very nearly did).

All that being said, I really liked the central puzzle, which actually took everyone's participation to solve and went from "Is this even the puzzle?" and "Can we even solve this yet?" to a very satisfying "Aha!" moment. The other major puzzle was more mechanical and brain-burny, and probably would have been easier to solve solo, but I still dug it. However, my overall impression is that the game is more concerned with trying to be the first to do what it does (point-and-clickish puzzly story-based thing), and less concerned with trying to be the best implementation of that concept. Maybe later packs will be better, but judging from the reception its received I think they're probably just going to stay the course.

On X-Com: The only thing worse than FFG's rulebooks is FFG's app-based tutorial, what the goddamn ever living gently caress. An hour of reading staccato rules blurbs that all said basically the same thing, while they still withhold the big picture from you so you still have no idea why you're doing anything. gently caress this stupid game and it's stupid app. They could have just written "Space Alert, but worse and then you roll dice."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So Hasbro has to be getting a cut from Rebellion, right? Because that's clearly a board game, with a board and everything!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

canyoneer posted:

Jon-Erik Hexum would beg to differ.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I was really, really disappointed with both Time Stories and X-Com too.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I'm kind of hoping the X-Com expansion helps, but I might just be doubling down on a fundamentally underwhelming game. I'm fine with the basic mechanics (dice rolling and all) and app, I just want a bit more depth, challenge and variety. Here's hoping.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Archenteron posted:

I really hope GW disappears up its own rear end and cancels their highly lucrative games licenses with FFG so we can watch Asmodee slowly begin to unhinge its jaw and slither towards Nottingham, England

This would be a good outcome. Someone needs to buy GW, put them out of their misery, and start producing good games on their IP without their bullshit.

Perhaps Asmodee could borrow Vlaada for a while (like Wizkids except not loving it up).

Fake edit: Apple auto correct turns Vlaada into "a lads"

Dancer
May 23, 2011

al-azad posted:

That was probably me. I'll say this, don't fret over the event deck. I don't remember the distribution but it's like 15% of the deck has opposition cards and they don't take away agency, they just increase the cost of something until you purchase (discard) them from the board or they change the board state if you let them fall off the market which will only happen if everyone consciously ignores it. You can always buy a card from the market and the cheapest it'll get is $1, and since you always get $1 at the start of your turn the opposition cards basically exist to make the players decide who can afford to purchase a bad card.

The biggest random element is determining where a single slave catcher goes at the start of a new round. He only catches a slave in the location he ends up so it's never disastrous unless you kept a ton of slaves in a city space but you can plan around this. We've yet to beat the game's "hard" mode but it's never felt like a fault of the random element, always a planning and logistic issue. The game is all about resource management. There's a hard limit on money and movement powers, and you need a lot of it to advance through the game. Advancing too fast and playing too safely seem to be our biggest downfall and not once have we gone "The deck hosed us!"

I haven't played Robinson Crusoe but this game is all about shifting pieces around. You're moving slave cubes which draws different colored slave catchers along their trail. I haven't played Robinson Crusoe but looking over the box contents Freedom has nowhere near the amount of bits and bobs. The game could be language independent if it weren't for the cards but even they could be boiled down to basic symbology. At most you're moving like 10 cubes around one or more spaces on a board, then moving little chits in the direction of those cubes. That's about it.

With that said I would hesitate at that price unless it came with the wooden slave catcher pieces. They advertise the wood pieces on the box but nope, the boxed game comes with chits. It's a good co-op but it's not an easy sell for people and if I friend didn't purchase it I probably wouldn't have until it was like 35 USD or something.

Thanks so much for the words. Helps a lot with making a decision.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
Anyone know when Agricola:ACBAS is going to be reprinted? It's the next game I want to get off of BL's Official Wife Friendly 2 Player Games List.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

PlaneGuy posted:

I literally get paid to teach strangers games around once a week for the past 3 years.
Whoa, let's come back to this for a second.

How does this work? Through your local nerd store? Through a publisher/distributor? I'd totally be down to do this.

edit:

Aghama posted:

Anyone know when Agricola:ACBAS is going to be reprinted? It's the next game I want to get off of BL's Official Wife Friendly 2 Player Games List.
I do not, but I do know the iOS app just came out ($5, $3 more for the expansion), if that helps. Haven't seen any reviews yet.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 13, 2016

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Aghama posted:

No idea but it just came out on iOS for $5 in case you want to try it out first

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wonder if GW is breaking off with FFG because of the miniature games they've put out or because GW stated Warhammer was a dying/dead IP and poo poo canned it for Age of Sigmar which has done worse then Fantasy ever did at its lowest point yet FFG is still selling tons of Warhammer stuff with a supposedly dead IP. That can't look good to their flakey investors

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

PFlats posted:

Whoa, let's come back to this for a second.

How does this work? Through your local nerd store? Through a publisher/distributor? I'd totally be down to do this.

edit:

I do not, but I do know the iOS app just came out ($5, $3 more for the expansion), if that helps. Haven't seen any reviews yet.
Thanks but we're on Android and digital board games don't usually hold my interest anyway.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Was the dead ip statement before or after they supposedly turned 40k into quelf

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aghama posted:

Thanks but we're on Android and digital board games don't usually hold my interest anyway.

It's on Android and Windows (10?? not sure) as well.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I would hate to be the guy who buys one of the OOP Mansions expansions on the after market for $300 only to find out today that FF is releasing tile and figure packs to support the 2e conversion kit. Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Remember about four hundred pages ago someone mentioned they were going to try to make Codenames except with needlessly "adult" words?

Because that is a thing that you can go and buy right now at your local Target superstore, and it looks completely godawful, and Vlaada's name isn't anywhere on the box.

There was also a copy of Telestrations After Dark which I think actually WOULD benefit from some more risque words.