Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google Fi is going to start selling the Android One Moto X4 sometime today for $399.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There you go, guy who was asking for a mid-range phone with plan ol' Android.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Does the Android One branding just mean "You can get this on Project Fi" or do they do some higher level of requirements for OEMs wanting to brand it that way, like enforcing OS/Security patching for X amount of time?

Edit: Just googled it, looks like Android One branding is suppose to force OEMs into 2 year patch support. I wonder if their agreement with Motorolla has enough teeth to retaliate if Moto does Moto and patches their device maybe three times and then drops support.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 20, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I dunno about the Moto X4. Compared to a G5 Plus for $250ish (right?), you get better cameras, USB-C, and slightly better soc (Qualcomm 630 vs 625), but also have to deal with the bad glass back. Same battery size, very similar/same display, etc. I guess if you need a phone for Fi, you don't have many options, but for everyone else, the X4 is still in that same awkward middle ground between great budget phones and great flagships.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think a good number of people would pay a bit more for better camera and USB-C. If it really is more like "vanilla android" and there is some sort of pressure for Moto to release updates on time as part of Android One or Google Fi, it seems like a decent spiritual successor to the Nexus line.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Phone slowdown I think can also be largely attributed to devices that don't get updates past a certain point.

Starting with Google devices, both Nexus and Pixels, when you have the same 7.1.X OS or now 8.0 OS on them, and after a fresh hard reset so everything is clean, they all will run pretty snappy even a 5X compared to a Pixel. It will be limited a little by hardware performance but overall, the 5X should run as fast as the day it was released as it is now as long as the OS didn't introduce something to slow it down (like iOS seems to do).

From what I can tell, since the KitKat days, Android hasn't really done anything to make a device get slower as a lot of the OS rendering features got moved to GPU processing and the rest has been a focus on battery life and process limitation which is good.

However apps you install that are updated to support the new OS, might also start having issues with older OS's on devices that haven't gotten updates. When you have a couple of these installed and running, that could cause your still perfectly capable device to slow down a ton without really having a good explanation as to why.

One app I used a lot in the past was ES File Explorer. Powerful app, however they have bloated it up soo drat much that it has become a huge resource hog at all times. After removing it battery life and overall device performance has gone up immensely. (Now using the ASUS File Manager which is quick and slim). Some have issues with Facebook but I unfortunately use it too much to just delete it, and overall its nowhere near the drain ES was.

I also can say a similar OS experience happened to my LG G3. Sprint's LG G3 was left on Android 5.0.1 and in a terrible place. Made the phone sluggish and slow mainly due to all the LG bloat (The Kit Kat roms prior were actually reasonably zippy during their time) but I had to get off the G3 right around when the 6P arrived and was soo happy to.

Fast forward to the present, and a ASOP rom called OctOS brings 7.1.2 to the G3 and actually makes it feel like a brand new device without the major bugs 3rd party roms used to bring to that thing. It runs actually smoother scrolling then my Essential Phone. :sad: but also almost feels like it could be used as a DD in a pinch once again where as before on the last official update, the phone was pretty much useless after light use since it would just overheat and slow to a crawl.

The Pixels definitely had some really good fine tuning done to them and their OS which is fantastic and sort of strange that nobody has been able to figure out exactly what makes it different? (Or did they? Specific drivers, OS tweaks, do we know anything?) Which makes it a great phone to have for >1 year and considering its hardware, as long as you keep it in one piece and out of water and the battery holds. Curse the unreplaceable battery trend the market had to go to.

Now Google buying HTC might make things even better for the future. If they can make the Pixel as good as they did with just a partnership, who knows what they can do owning the process top to bottom. And hopefully they maybe keep the HTC name and bring them back to profitability once again. Bring back the M series dammit. :argh:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LastInLine posted:

It's almost like they're raising the price just because they can!

Seriously though, I'm not sure if you've noticed but under capitalism there is no reason for a good's price to be related to the cost of materials+labor. Samsung made the Note 8 which is 99% identical to the S8+ and it costs 13% more.

As for the flagship phones, you can buy them or not, Google doesn't care. Google wins if you buy any Android phone. If you want to buy it from them, that's great, but if not they only care about your data so as long as you use a phone with the Play Store, they got what they came for. Why would they give the slightest gently caress about market share?

I think under capitalism google do care how many phones they sell, otherwise why bother making them at all?

They can raise the prices, but it'll clearly affect sales vs. other phones which are already much more successful. Samsung raising prices is one thing, as they have the (android) market leading phone and sell a lot of them (and will lower the price over time in a reasonable way to catch more of the market).

Google won't do this, and they will sell even less of the Pixel 2 than the Pixel 1. The XL on release was more expensive than an iPhone 6S plus / same GB. And it sold like crap.

The Pixel 2 seems to be priced to match the much fancier iPhone X, when it offers nothing spectacular or new.

The very real alternative, especially when you're looking at a $950 phone, is to get an iPhone, which does Google no good.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Internet Explorer posted:

There you go, guy who was asking for a mid-range phone with plan ol' Android.

Yeah, this may be the way to go, and if not, I may just have to get the smaller Pixel, or forgo plain android for something like the Mate 9 or 10.

That said, I'm surprised people aren't worried more about the smaller pixel being made by HTC.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

wooger posted:

I think under capitalism google do care how many phones they sell, otherwise why bother making them at all?

I'm half convinced it's just so they have a phone that they can hand out to all their employees.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Solvency posted:

That said, I'm surprised people aren't worried more about the smaller pixel being made by HTC.

The only HTC thing I have is a Vive, and their hardware seems solid enough from that experience. Since it's a google phone, the software and support is google controlled right? Should be fine.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Solvency posted:

HTC's problem is that they make good phones that nobody wants to buy. Also the usual Android OEM update fuckery.

Neither of these should be a problem here.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Solvency posted:

Weren't both of last year's Pixels made by HTC? Those seem to be holding up pretty well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Weren't both of last year's Pixels made by HTC? Those seem to be holding up pretty well.

They were manufactured by HTC the same way iPhones are manufactured by Foxconn.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LG has bootloops, Samsung has explosive batteries. What manufacturer hasn't had problems at this point?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Google Fi is going to start selling the Android One Moto X4 sometime today for $399.

Because of you I logged in to my account and they are offering a $50 Fi credit and some sort of credit on a trade in if I trade in my Nexus device for preordering an X4.

"Upgrade to the new Android One Moto X⁴
Until Oct 5, get $50 Fi credit when you trade in your Nexus device for a Moto X4." Then when I click I get an offer to trade in.

Very tempted because I most definitely don't want to throw down that much money for a Pixel.

Edit: I "evaluated" my phone. They'll give me $110 for my N6.
Edit 2: DAMMIT! Just the 32gb X4. Grump.

topenga fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 20, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Helter Skelter posted:

HTC's problem is that they make good phones that nobody wants to buy. Also the usual Android OEM update fuckery.

Neither of these should be a problem here.

HTC's main problem wasn't even that nobody wanted to buy the hardware, they just couldn't stop crapping up the OS with Sense. The hardware was always fairly good inside and out, even if they did occasionally go down weird paths like the 3D's dual cameras and lenticular screen. Samsung basically had the volume and pricing to make it work until they had the captive install base whereas HTC couldn't afford to sell their phones for like $499 or whatever to get people hooked.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Every HTC device I've owned has been very good against its competition at the time.

(Last HTC device I owned was a Nexus One then various Windows Phone thingies before that)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's rumors based on a website glitch that Google is going to be offering a trade in program for the Pixel 2 as well. That may be why they ended the out of warranty RMA for the 6p.

I still have a Nexus 5x that I haven't sold off yet that might be a prime candidate for that since I'm 50/50 if I want to deal with selling it and then have someone come back 3 months later and say it bootlooped.

What I would really want from Google is an upgrade program like Apple. I would pay $50 / month if it meant I got a top spec Pixel XL every year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I can trade in my 5x for a Pixel 2 I will in a heartbeat. I would normally keep an old phone as a backup phone, but I don't trust this thing not to bootloop.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I just want Google to stop loving everything up with half-baked solutions in search of problems. just loving ... get your poo poo together. someone with balls and ANGER go and take charge or something. gently caress's sake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'd totally trade my pixel XL for a 2 because i am a consumer whore

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'll trade up from my locked bootloader Pixel in a heartbeat if it's a good deal. Stupid refurb. :sigh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

400 is too much for me for the X4. I actually rather have the 4gigs of RAM and 64gigs on the G5 Plus. Though I am tempted by the Android P guarantee.

topenga posted:

Edit 2: DAMMIT! Just the 32gb X4. Grump.

It has an SD slot so it's not all bad

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Yeah the G5+ still seems like a better deal, or wait for the first pixel price to drop if you are looking for something in the $400 range.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm on my third 5X and my wife is on her second after having them just randomly brick. Fi has always replaced them for free (after a bit of bitching) but if they want to give me $115 for it and sell me a replacement <$400, I'll play that game.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right now there's no evidence that you would be able to buy an X4 without a Fi account anyways. So the use cases are mutually exclusive with the g5+.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Desk Lamp posted:

I picked up the Note 8, which I know is about as shocking as most of you buying the Pixel 2 in a couple of weeks.

Anyways, so far there's a lot to like.

I was waiting for the Pixel 2 but after seeing the leaks, I went for a Note 8 as well. Looking back at the the past 20 pages of this thread and between my own 5X issues ( that I had before the Priv ), the other 5X Boot loops reported, the 6P boot loops and/or battery deaths, people having to return refurbished replacements sent to them multiple times, even ShoogaSlim's ordeal with his brand new Pixel(s), and all the Oreo complaints, I realized stock Android is not worth that cost of being on the bleeding edge for me ( even if Google is good & fast at sending replacements ).

Having come from a Priv, I am obviously a masochist with a desire for a gimmick and I really like what Samsung has done with the dual cameras/Live Focus/Bokeh effect thing ( and the iPhone style recording of a few seconds video prior to the picture ). I'm not sure how much I will use the Pen but it is kind of neat being able to jot down notes on the Always On screen instantly - I haven't used a Post-It note in a week! I just wish they had a Nintendo DS style "How to Art" app that I'd gladly pay for. TouchWiz seems totally fine to me, I really don't have any issues with it although I will probably switch back to Smart Launcher eventually just because I prefer a very barebones home screen. I setup Bixby and will use it for a few weeks even though it's a dumpster fire but it's pretty inoffensive, and I've never once accidentally pressed the button ( this could be due to my case ) so I'll probably just leave it.

What I was really excited about though is my dream come true - the DeX dock ( 2 gimmicks, 1 phone! ).

Truga posted:

This looks real cool and exactly what I want, but I'm going to steer clear of proprietary docks for now. Once my laptop is too old or dies, I'll probably get on it if there's no better option yet.

It is expensive for a dock ( $99 ) but it is really loving cool plugging it in and having a "laptop" that fits in my pocket, I don't even use my actual laptop now but then I only used it for internet ( I don't play games on it ). There are a few downsides though, the biggest is that the Note ( and probably S8's ) doesn't sit in the dock with most cases ( I'm using the Spigen Tough Armor case ), the USB-C connector in it doesn't extend so it's really only intended for a case-less phone to be sat in it. I bought a USB-C m-f extender cable and plug it in that way and rest it sideways on the dock so it still gets some minor use of the built-in dock fan. The other issue is that not all apps are enabled for full screen and so they end up being "app sized" on the desktop, but that is a small subset of the ones I do use. All in all it's really neat, but I think isn't quite 100% there yet, if they added the ability to extend the USB-C connector and emulated non-full screen apps into fullscreen, I think it'd be a no brainer if this is a tech you are interested in.

Edit: Obligatory - "let's hope it doesn't explode"

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TollTheHounds posted:

I was waiting for the Pixel 2 but after seeing the leaks, I went for a Note 8 as well. Looking back at the the past 20 pages of this thread and between my own 5X issues ( that I had before the Priv ), the other 5X Boot loops reported, the 6P boot loops and/or battery deaths, people having to return refurbished replacements sent to them multiple times, even ShoogaSlim's ordeal with his brand new Pixel(s), and all the Oreo complaints, I realized stock Android is not worth that cost of being on the bleeding edge for me ( even if Google is good & fast at sending replacements ).

Having come from a Priv, I am obviously a masochist with a desire for a gimmick and I really like what Samsung has done with the dual cameras/Live Focus/Bokeh effect thing ( and the iPhone style recording of a few seconds video prior to the picture ). I'm not sure how much I will use the Pen but it is kind of neat being able to jot down notes on the Always On screen instantly - I haven't used a Post-It note in a week! I just wish they had a Nintendo DS style "How to Art" app that I'd gladly pay for. TouchWiz seems totally fine to me, I really don't have any issues with it although I will probably switch back to Smart Launcher eventually just because I prefer a very barebones home screen. I setup Bixby and will use it for a few weeks even though it's a dumpster fire but it's pretty inoffensive, and I've never once accidentally pressed the button ( this could be due to my case ) so I'll probably just leave it.

What I was really excited about though is my dream come true - the DeX dock ( 2 gimmicks, 1 phone! ).

It is expensive for a dock ( $99 ) but it is really loving cool plugging it in and having a "laptop" that fits in my pocket, I don't even use my actual laptop now but then I only used it for internet ( I don't play games on it ). There are a few downsides though, the biggest is that the Note ( and probably S8's ) doesn't sit in the dock with most cases ( I'm using the Spigen Tough Armor case ), the USB-C connector in it doesn't extend so it's really only intended for a case-less phone to be sat in it. I bought a USB-C m-f extender cable and plug it in that way and rest it sideways on the dock so it still gets some minor use of the built-in dock fan. The other issue is that not all apps are enabled for full screen and so they end up being "app sized" on the desktop, but that is a small subset of the ones I do use. All in all it's really neat, but I think isn't quite 100% there yet, if they added the ability to extend the USB-C connector and emulated non-full screen apps into fullscreen, I think it'd be a no brainer if this is a tech you are interested in.

Edit: Obligatory - "let's hope it doesn't explode"

With all the options on the default Samsung launcher I haven't felt the need to install a custom one yet. You can already change the icons, grid size, dpi, and enable gestures so all the reasons I had for using Nova are covered.

It's a bit disappointing that Autodesk sketchbook isn't included in this version of the Note, it looks like Samsung has decided to focus on Pen.Up or whatever it's called as their art app of choice.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HTC has made great hardware for a long time, and Sense even when it was a bit bloatful, was still better than TouchWiz and has gotten slimmer each revision.

However their first blunder was making a crap ton of separate devices for every carrier, sub carrier, and so may separate changes to make similar devices still separate enough to not share in this or that feature, all compounded by terrible lack of updates to no surprise. (A lot of those got stuck on android 4.2.2 and well, that was a terrible version that 4.3 fixed but was only on very few devices to make it out. Even the 4G LTE only just got that update through a leak that literally made the phone a whole new and much better running device).

Then the M7 arrived and HTC had a similar hit to the EVO 4G for a while. They had a few others like the mini and MAX, but overall the M7 was good. The M8 was also good, but had a few internal issues and was going up against the newfangled 1440P screen of the LG G3 and other devices like the S4/S5.

Then the M9 with the 810 oven and odd design choice for the rim of the phone. Since it didn't really look much different, or have a good camera at all, even with its good but hot performance, it tanked and from there they have been trying to mimic Samsung with Metal/Glass designs, Front Fingerprint/Home button, vastly improved cameras, and a loss of their front facing speakers.

So while the hardware has gotten better internally, their outside design sort of just stopped being unique outside of color and some build changes. They look dated even new even though the internal hardware is still excellent (U11 is still a solid flagship today, just don't drop it).

I personally would kill for a HTC built with the height of the M7, but instead of that black bar below the screen with the HTC logo on it just taking up space, make the screen as big as possible, Boomsound top and bottom with the drilled hole speaker grill which was always good, and bring back just an all metal design once again. All they had to do with the M design was minimize bezels while keeping the speakers and actually giving it a good camera. But instead they haven't got a clue which way they want their designs to go and keep releasing 2015 looking devices. Hell even their Desire line was pretty awesome but mostly not sold in the USA which was also an odd move.

Google buying HTC's phone side would be great since they could continue to make solid hardware, and fund a good redesign and R&D side to see what the next design move will be next..

Anyone catch that new Meizu Pro 7 with the extra screen on the back? Gimmicky? Maybe, but I could see it being a bit more functional than the V10/V20's design. Even though I liked the screen on them too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Huxley posted:

I'm on my third 5X and my wife is on her second after having them just randomly brick. Fi has always replaced them for free (after a bit of bitching) but if they want to give me $115 for it and sell me a replacement <$400, I'll play that game.

How'd you get a new one? I got told it was entirely impossible to get a replacement 5X and they sent me a goddamn G5.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My Silver HTC M7 was the most beautiful phone ever made and I don't think it's even close

:allears:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

400 is too much for me for the X4. I actually rather have the 4gigs of RAM and 64gigs on the G5 Plus. Though I am tempted by the Android P guarantee.

Oh right! I forgot about the sd card. I'm on Fi so I've been looking forward to a cheaper phone. I wasn't looking forward to splashing out bucks for a Pixel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

What I would really want from Google is an upgrade program like Apple. I would pay $50 / month if it meant I got a top spec Pixel XL every year.

That's $600/year, which if you keep selling your one-year-old phone on eBay, would mean you could easily get the top-spec phone every year anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

That's $600/year, which if you keep selling your one-year-old phone on eBay, would mean you could easily get the top-spec phone every year anyways.

It's saving $350 which isn't too far off what a one year old phone goes for.

Selling phones is a PITA, I would wouldn't have much issue with paying essentially a $100 convenience charge to just swap devices without any monkeying around.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

How'd you get a new one? I got told it was entirely impossible to get a replacement 5X and they sent me a goddamn G5.

We are actually on Fi, so their only options were replacing our phones, upgrading us, or losing our business.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bull3964 posted:

Right now there's no evidence that you would be able to buy an X4 without a Fi account anyways. So the use cases are mutually exclusive with the g5+.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4

It says coming soon and it lists Amazon Alexa included along with all the extra Moto software that's not in the Android One version. It has to be the same price right?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Moto's guarantees don't mean poo poo (on the low end at least), they just decided that the G4 and G4 play won't get Oreo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4

It says coming soon and it lists Amazon Alexa included along with all the extra Moto software that's not in the Android One version. It has to be the same price right?

That's the one from Moto and not the Android One version. The real appeal of the Android One version is the Google managed updates.

So, there wasn't much doubt that we would be getting the phone, it's just the whole updates from Google thing that's missing is you don't get it from Fi.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I'm only on my second, but I'm getting the "powers down at 15%" issue (first one was a bootloop). Yeah, a $300 replacement is looking really good at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Tmobile has the bogo for the Note 8 which is tempting as I would just sell the second one to make mine free. Is the OnePlus 5 still any good?