Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

lowly abject turd posted:

It's nothing new but LMAO @ Natpo desperately pandering to their dozens of white boomer readers

The IAT is one of those feel-good/achieve-nothing progressive snake oils that is so popular among unserious people who want to think they're doing good; the psychometric analog to Hollywood celebs singing about resisting Trump, or your aunt on Facebook reposting corporate propaganda disguised as mental health awareness.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

the trump tutelage posted:

The IAT is one of those feel-good/achieve-nothing progressive snake oils that is so popular among unserious people who want to think they're doing good; the psychometric analog to Hollywood celebs singing about resisting Trump, or your aunt on Facebook reposting corporate propaganda disguised as mental health awareness.

I hate that poo poo with a passion. I swear I will bludgeon the next person who tells me that something is meant to "Start A Conversation".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was ever an evil corporate marketer I'd jump on the whole "Just mention some popular non-controversial issue and make all our commercials feel like important advocacy work for a cause but have 99% of the money spent simply be our marketing rather than anything towards the cause hey we're starting a conversation!" bandwagon hard. People eat that poo poo up.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Some fine examples of the Huwhite race are counter-demonstrating at Vancouver Trump Tower

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Some fine examples of the Huwhite race are counter-demonstrating at Vancouver Trump Tower

lol, the loving keg in the background. Dude in the counterfeit MAGA hat probably gonna go in there afterward and eat a well-done steak with ketchup or some poo poo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that image was made for this thread tbh

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

THC posted:

Martin Shkreli's less fortunate half brother.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

sitchensis posted:

I hate that poo poo with a passion. I swear I will bludgeon the next person who tells me that something is meant to "Start A Conversation".

The correct term is "Opening a dialogue"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Baronjutter posted:

If I was ever an evil corporate marketer I'd jump on the whole "Just mention some popular non-controversial issue and make all our commercials feel like important advocacy work for a cause but have 99% of the money spent simply be our marketing rather than anything towards the cause hey we're starting a conversation!" bandwagon hard. People eat that poo poo up.

#BellLetsTalk

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

THC posted:

There is something extremely, extremely unsettling about that mans face. I can't put my finger on it. :stare:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rime posted:

There is something extremely, extremely unsettling about that mans face. I can't put my finger on it. :stare:

He looks like someone tried to turn a wax figure into Forrest Gump during his long run.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Rime posted:

It's his eyes. One of them is lazy.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Stretch Marx posted:

It's his eyes. One of them is lazy.
And probably doesn't even pay taxes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

lowly abject turd posted:

It's nothing new but LMAO @ Natpo desperately pandering to their dozens of white boomer readers

That should've become clear the second the words "scrupulously thorough investigative reporter Jesse Singal" showed up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

That should've become clear the second the words "scrupulously thorough investigative reporter Jesse Singal" showed up.

It's no surprise he turned up. Both Jordan Peterson and Jesse Singal have been involved in transphobic bullshit up here, trying to push back on trans rights in Canada and trying to redeem CAMH's trans practices. Two peas in a pod, really.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

the trump tutelage posted:

Is lets talk really that bad? Is any type of action besides total revolution just posturing now? I mean commone. You can't see any good from a campaign like Lets Talk? I know I heard from several people on facebook who I had no idea about their issues talk about in what way the struggle from mental illness, instead of maybe 5 or 10 friends I know personally its now like 15 that have dealt with some of this poo poo. Thats a good thing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

patonthebach posted:

Is lets talk really that bad? Is any type of action besides total revolution just posturing now? I mean commone. You can't see any good from a campaign like Lets Talk? I know I heard from several people on facebook who I had no idea about their issues talk about in what way the struggle from mental illness, instead of maybe 5 or 10 friends I know personally its now like 15 that have dealt with some of this poo poo. Thats a good thing.

My problem with Bell's Let's Talk campaign is that they'll donate only if you use the #letstalk hash on Twitter. If they're willing to donate the money towards mental health campaigns, then they should be active in participating in the lobbying for better mental health services provided by the government. Since they don't it's just a feel-good campaign that they can put on for public relations purposes and also to get a nice write-off when their fiscal year comes to an end.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

patonthebach posted:

Yeah, I mean Bell's net profit is like $2.7 billion a year and their 2017 donation to mental health was 6.5m. It's mathematically insulting. It'd be like your buddy Matt who earns $500,000 pre-tax bragging about donating 600 bucks to mental health and encouraging his friends to talk their mental health issues with #MattRulesLetsTalk. You think "gently caress off Matt" but then the entire country goes crazy and starts actually doing it and #MattRulesLetsTalk is on the radio, tv, internet, prime minister is talking about it and you realize that they're all retarded but that can't be it, you must be the one with paranoid mental health problems.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 28, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

patonthebach posted:

If they wanted to do good they'd have donated the money to a mental health cause, or created an arms-length charity them selves that only existed to raise awareness and get people talking about mental illness without plastering their corporate logo all over it. What they did was 100% cynical self-serving marketing wrapped up in a progressive veneer. Sure maybe that veneer did a little good, but the goal was never to help the mentally ill, it was to make people associate their brand with a good cause. "But without the marketing motive maybe they'd have never done anything" and that is correct, which is why we should just tax them more and put that money into our mental health system. gently caress corporate charity, it's entirely self serving and any good done by it is an accidental byproduct.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There have also been stories about how Bell doesn't practice what it preaches. People with mental illnesses working for Bell and experiencing stigma and discrimination. I don't remember the exact stories to link them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You guys, I'm pretty sure people buy tickets for the STARS lottery because they want to win things instead of out of pure charity. I don't know about you, but frankly those people loving SICKEN ME! Selfish bastards!

Lobok posted:

There have also been stories about how Bell doesn't practice what it preaches. People with mental illnesses working for Bell and experiencing stigma and discrimination. I don't remember the exact stories to link them.

This, on the other hand, is a perfectly legitimate issue to raise. I do remember reading those same stories.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

You guys, I'm pretty sure people buy tickets for the STARS lottery because they want to win things instead of out of pure charity. I don't know about you, but frankly those people loving SICKEN ME! Selfish bastards!

This, on the other hand, is a perfectly legitimate issue to raise. I do remember reading those same stories.

The scales are different between individual people buying lottery tickets and a highly-hyped company charity event complete with nationwide celebrity advertising.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Advertising and donating to charity is better than just advertising but let's be careful to see it for what it is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Skippy Granola posted:

Advertising and donating to charity is better than just advertising but let's be careful to see it for what it is.

True. It's certainly self-serving, and they could certainly be doing more, but on the other hand they could also be doing less or nothing at all. We don't need to treat them like a saint because they throw a tiny sum at mental health causes, but on the other hand there's no particular need to poo poo all over them for it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

PT6A posted:

True. It's certainly self-serving, and they could certainly be doing more, but on the other hand they could also be doing less or nothing at all. We don't need to treat them like a saint because they throw a tiny sum at mental health causes, but on the other hand there's no particular need to poo poo all over them for it.

well, making GBS threads all over them for participating in a cartel that drives our telecom prices sky-high is a little tired by this point, so it's nice to have something new.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Utgardaloki posted:

well, making GBS threads all over them for participating in a cartel that drives our telecom prices sky-high is a little tired by this point, so it's nice to have something new.

yeah but they keep finding new ways to do it, so we might as well re-tread that lovely ground.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My coworker has a MAGA hat and will be counter protesing. He told me he expects to come to work tonight with a black eye. I told him good luck. He is kind of a tool. He once explained to me why Trayvon Martin deserved to die. Good times. Also his MAGA hat is black, that's kind of strange.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

My coworker has a MAGA hat and will be counter protesing. He told me he expects to come to work tonight with a black eye. I told him good luck. He is kind of a tool. He once explained to me why Trayvon Martin deserved to die. Good times. Also his MAGA hat is black, that's kind of strange.

If he doesn't come to work with a black eye, do the right thing and make it happen. Punchin' nazis is always a good way to start off a shift.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That would be fun. Right now I just annoy him by mentioning everything assanine he and his ilk are doing. Information not fed to him through a subreddit for a change.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Charles Bukowski posted:

That would be fun. Right now I just annoy him by mentioning everything assanine he and his ilk are doing. Information not fed to him through a subreddit for a change.

Just sing the false song of globalism all night long.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They're just doing what's in their rational self interest as a corporation. I'm not making GBS threads on them specifically*, I'm making GBS threads on the whole system that depends on corporations deciding a public health concern aligns with their marketing enough to toss some money at it, rather than simply taxing corporations at a level where there's enough money in the system to not need what ever charity scraps are left over from their marketing campaign.

*actually yeah I am, gently caress all corporations that do this. They're using real problems, real suffering as a prop for their marketing and generally don't give a poo poo about what ever "issue" they're using as a backdrop for their latest commercial. They're profiting off of these problems more than they're helping the victims. That fact that people are getting some tiny token amount of aid or awareness or whatever doesn't come close to matching the profits these marketing campaigns earn directly off their struggles or suffering.

It's like charity tourism. Spend $2000 on a flight to africa, spend $1000 more for four star accommodations for a month, go drinking and partying and do all the fun tourist stuff. Spend a couple hours a day doing some photo-op worthy charity work while taking a thousand selfies to show how you're making such a difference even though the amount of "help" you've given could have been paid for with local labour for 1/100th the cost of your flight alone.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

My problem with Bell's Let's Talk campaign is that they'll donate only if you use the #letstalk hash on Twitter. If they're willing to donate the money towards mental health campaigns, then they should be active in participating in the lobbying for better mental health services provided by the government.
Instead they ordered their media properties including CTV and the Globe & Mail to endorse Stephen Harper's Conservative Party whose policies directly led to the death of hundreds of Canadians suffering from mental illness

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Chairity tourism is loving hilarious. Hey everyone let's raise tens of thousands of dollars to send a bunch of church kids to some country in South America to build a church!

Oh there are already people living in that village who could really use the work and have the skills and knowledge to build the structure faster, better and earn enough wages to feed themselves and their families? Oh my kids can volunteer at the homeless shelter downtown during the evenings and weekends and not even need to take a week off school? Well gently caress that my kids want to go somewhere exotic :angel:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

Chairity tourism is loving hilarious. Hey everyone let's raise tens of thousands of dollars to send a bunch of church kids to some country in South America to build a church!

Oh there are already people living in that village who could really use the work and have the skills and knowledge to build the structure faster, better and earn enough wages to feed themselves and their families? Oh my kids can volunteer at the homeless shelter downtown during the evenings and weekends and not even need to take a week off school? Well gently caress that my kids want to go somewhere exotic :angel:

Agree with this 100%. Looked like a grinch when I raised my eyebrows at one of my coworkers trying to raise 4 grand to have her 20 something year old daughter go on a multi week trip to Madagascar or whatever to maybe build a hut. Like really people, you are young and an idealist and also want to have fun. Donate some time in Canada. Send money overseas so it goes to locals to do that work. Spend a grand on a week in Jamaica or whatever and just party honestly.

And the whole idea of a bunch of teen and twenty something white folk who weight 140 lbs and dont know a nail from a screw let alone a orbital saw from a band saw, thinking they need to go over to god knows where and teach the locals how to build a house or church. Some loving racist rear end white poo poo.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 28, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wow please don't thin shame

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

CityNews posted:

A CityNews investigation reveals there are 55 police officers across the GTHA who have been convicted of serious crimes since 2013, and almost all of them have been deemed fit to keep their jobs in policing.

The incidents vary in severity and scope, from impaired driving and fraud to domestic violence and assault. Each resulted in criminal charges, trial, and ultimately guilty verdicts. The vast majority of officers, however, maintained their jobs in policing despite those convictions. Demotions, however, can result in significant financial consequences to the officer. And because Ontario is the only province that pays suspended officers, taxpayers have been footing the bill for the years it takes to wind through the criminal and tribunal systems.

Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders posted:

We know that this is an industry that deals with a lot of stress and sometimes that stress can turn into a lot of unlawful behaviour. So you have to take things into consideration as to what the cause is of the behaviour that may be criminal in nature and still try to strike a balance of being fair, but at the same time holding public trust at the forefront.

Click through if you enjoy reading gross accounts of domestic violence, I guess.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Policing is an "industry" now, huh

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

"Homelessness is a problem that we need to do something about. I give nearly-expired, low-nutrition food at the local hamper at Safeway. What do you mean they want to build a shelter near my neighbourhood? gently caress that noise. Get those bums to work if they want a place to live."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sometimes the ones protecting us from crime become the criminals, makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Man, we have a lot of work to be done if we're ever going to get through this Uncanny Valley problem:

https://www.facebook.com/KellieLeitchMP/videos/1317208388316539/