Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

10 Beers posted:

RIP Mark Taylor.

I had not heard about this, and it's a bummer. MOTU and TMNT are, in my opinion, the top two shining examples of real artistry in action figure design, and both owed a lot to Taylor's wild creativity. Personally as somebody who looks at toy collecting as art collecting, there might not be another person out there with that level of impact on the art of toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Joe Fisto posted:

I'd put him at the #1 for the Masterverse line. I'd have Fisto higher, if he didn't bare his midriff all the time, but I still really like the fig and I am totally not biased in favor of Fisto figures. Scareglow and Evil Lyn are really good as well. I have the Mattel Creations SG, not sure about the standard release. Spikor would probably round out my top 5, because why the gently caress did they make Spikor so early in the line?

Four Horseman Krampus came in today. I don't have any other 4H figs to compare it to, but its a drat solid toy. I don't think it'll get me into Mythic Leigons or anything, but I am glad I was able to grab it at retail.

I have both Scare Glows and the standard release is ok, but not as good as the special edition. I really like Spikor too, but they didn't include non-extended spikes for his weapon, so it's slightly awkward always being extended.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's an embarrassing moment for any boy during puberty, now immortalized in toy form.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be very interested to see how Masterverse extends beyond the Kevin Smith show. How they tackle other iterations and eras

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I had not heard about this, and it's a bummer. MOTU and TMNT are, in my opinion, the top two shining examples of real artistry in action figure design, and both owed a lot to Taylor's wild creativity. Personally as somebody who looks at toy collecting as art collecting, there might not be another person out there with that level of impact on the art of toys.

Not to mention an understanding of how to leverage the relatively limited articulation schemes of both MOTU and TMNT to their advantage through good default poses(compare to say the Kenner Star Wars figures which are objectively terrible in that regard), exciting action features, a nice hefty size, and excellent accessories, playsets, and vehicles

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Not to mention an understanding of how to leverage the relatively limited articulation schemes of both MOTU and TMNT to their advantage through good default poses(compare to say the Kenner Star Wars figures which are objectively terrible in that regard), exciting action features, a nice hefty size, and excellent accessories, playsets, and vehicles

From what I remember from Toys That Made Us and The Power of Grayskull documentaries, Roger Sweet probably deserves the credit for the trademark He-Man pose (and grimace), as well as the large scale and bulky physique, and what Mark Taylor brought to the table were the wonderful, outlandish character concepts and designs. But these things definitely went hand in hand!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Roger Sweet probably deserves the credit for the trademark He-Man pose (and grimace), as well as the large scale and bulky physique,

That guy is super weird, and clearly very interested in only one thing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

That guy is super weird, and clearly very interested in only one thing.

That is also true.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

okay, now the question remains; do I spend all this christmas money on new figures, or save it for a PS5...

Curse you, luxury items.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nodosaur posted:

okay, now the question remains; do I spend all this christmas money on new figures, or save it for a PS5...

Curse you, luxury items.

You know what thread you’re posting in, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yes, I expect some form of bias

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YES

YESSSS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Curse you, luxury items.

Figures might work best because while the PS5 will eventually be easily found, the figures you are after might just sell out and you'd be hosed for ebay prices on em.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nodosaur posted:

Curse you, luxury items.

PS5 is (a)too big and (b)too hard to find. Wait for the smaller, slimmer version in a couple of years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tomorrow I'll finally take some not poo poo pictures of my collection after I get Part 7 Jason unwrapped and put where he belongs

I have an Reissue Optimus Primal who is currently in his spot because my shelf of six inch scale stuff, roughly, is in disarray

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
PS5s are p cool if you are actually able to get one.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
For me, it isn't Christmas until I've watched this several times. Feliz Navidad, yall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNniUek6y2A

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
My parents got my son the the complete He-man series boxset for Xmas, so we already watched the Xmas special and are now onto the Secret of The Sword movie.

Both my son and I are explaining who all the characters are to my parents and brother.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 25, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nerd Of Prey posted:

From what I remember from Toys That Made Us and The Power of Grayskull documentaries, Roger Sweet probably deserves the credit for the trademark He-Man pose (and grimace), as well as the large scale and bulky physique, and what Mark Taylor brought to the table were the wonderful, outlandish character concepts and designs. But these things definitely went hand in hand!

Well I meant the team in general really

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

got an amazon gift card, ordered the Hydra Stomper immediately.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Won $50 in my traditional stocking stuffer scratch-off card, immediately put it towards the Figuarts Endgame Thor that EE has on clearance. Came real close to using it on the Figuarts Piccolo, maybe I’ll indulge a little and get him as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nodosaur posted:

got an amazon gift card, ordered the Hydra Stomper immediately.

The Hydra Stomper owns.

I’ve gone down the (thankfully shallow) rabbit hole of collecting Captain Carter/Hydra Stomper stuff. Disney Store has a really cool two pack of them in the Disney Toybox “house style”, the Stomper has rad electronic lights and sounds. In theory Peggy can ride on the Stomper’s back but in execution I haven’t been able to pull it off.

https://www.shopdisney.com/captain-...rchType=regular

I preordered the Hot Toys 1/6 Scale Peggy because I had a bunch of Sideshow rewards to burn, but I’m not sure if I’ll drop the coin on the Hydra Stomper.

Edit — this thing is cool too but I don’t think it’s “$80 cool”, or even “$50 cool”

https://www.shopdisney.com/hydra-st...rchType=regular

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 26, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Got this lil guy in. Gonna use him as an frost spider for the Skyrim display I wanna make for the upcoming figure.

I'm on mobile so I set it to medium. Apologies if it's gigantic.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My lady collects Hello Kitty stuff, and my Xmas gift for her this year is this Bandai Gundam/Hello Kitty mash-up model kit. I built it in secret, came up with my own paint scheme, and spent many days weathering and detailing it. Though Kitty is only about 4.5" tall, I wanted to convey as much of a sense of giganticness as I could, so I covered it in dozens of really tiny decals and fine paint details. I actually used the Japanese copyright text off the decal sheet (also by Bandai, sold separately) to accent a few places with random text. I also used a few tiny graffiti decals made for model trains, including one that's a crude drawing of a cat with a bow on its head, and one that says "Jesus rocks" which I thought was a nice Christmassy touch. And then of course I created the miniature environment for it, building up the "landing pad" from the included apple-shaped display stand along with some sprues from the model kit and other random junk. The trees and tiny grasses are store-bought miniature items, the ground underneath is papier mache with some acrylics and craft-store fake water, and lastly the teeny-tiny person (about half an inch tall) was hand-sculpted from modeling putty. The heart-shaped wooden base was from Michaels, finished with acrylic paint. (It probably needed a lot more sanding, but I was pressed for time.) Kitty is actually highly articulated and has several removable accessories.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s amazing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah that super rules, elaborate custom gifts like that are awesome

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So I picked up ML Shang-Chi, Wenwu, Xialing, Captain Carter and Star Lord T’Challa, along with the Target exclusive Mobius M. Mobius with my Christmas money.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Target has some MOTU Origins stuff on sale for people looking:

Panthor for $9.99 - https://www.target.com/p/masters-of-the-universe-creature-origins-panthor/-/A-80374911#lnk=sametab
Battle Cat for $9.99 - https://www.target.com/p/masters-of-the-universe-creature-battle-cat/-/A-80374910
Origins of Evil 2 pack for $16.49 - https://www.target.com/p/masters-of-the-universe-origins-rise-of-evil-2pk/-/A-81471773#lnk=sametab

Looks to be in store where available and online

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How is amiami with order cancellations these days? I remember years ago, they didn't like doing it and it was kinda understood that you could only cancel an order or two a year. But I also know they've changed some of their ordering policies recently, like when preorders come in now they ask you to confirm the payment before sending it out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They always did that for preorders.

They’re easier on it now because of Covid delays and stuff though. I’ve canceled a few things where the delays pushed it so far I lost interest.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I guess the Hot Toys Endgame Iron Patriot isn’t selling well overseas. I just picked up one and with shipping it’s still 60 dollars cheaper than Sideshow’s base price. Now if I wanted the battle damaged Iron Man from the same place, that’s 100 over Sideshow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They also have the Land Shark for half price, the best Origins vehicle yet!
https://www.target.com/p/masters-of-the-universe-5-5-34-large-vehicle/-/A-80375068

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Square Enix's store page says the PAK Nier Automata 2B figure is supposed to ship this month, and "this month" ends in like 4 days so I fired off a question to their support contact to see if there's an update. I pulled up my order info and it feels weird that I ordered it in, like, September of 2020.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Nerd Of Prey posted:

My lady collects Hello Kitty stuff, and my Xmas gift for her this year is this Bandai Gundam/Hello Kitty mash-up model kit. I built it in secret, came up with my own paint scheme, and spent many days weathering and detailing it. Though Kitty is only about 4.5" tall, I wanted to convey as much of a sense of giganticness as I could, so I covered it in dozens of really tiny decals and fine paint details. I actually used the Japanese copyright text off the decal sheet (also by Bandai, sold separately) to accent a few places with random text. I also used a few tiny graffiti decals made for model trains, including one that's a crude drawing of a cat with a bow on its head, and one that says "Jesus rocks" which I thought was a nice Christmassy touch. And then of course I created the miniature environment for it, building up the "landing pad" from the included apple-shaped display stand along with some sprues from the model kit and other random junk. The trees and tiny grasses are store-bought miniature items, the ground underneath is papier mache with some acrylics and craft-store fake water, and lastly the teeny-tiny person (about half an inch tall) was hand-sculpted from modeling putty. The heart-shaped wooden base was from Michaels, finished with acrylic paint. (It probably needed a lot more sanding, but I was pressed for time.) Kitty is actually highly articulated and has several removable accessories.

I see this and think:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BBTS and EE have preorders up for a new One:12 Collective Silent Hill 2 Pyramid Head figure for $100. He looks really nice and comes with a ton of accessories (including blood splatters, little beetles, and a mannequin he can, uh, manhandle) and even an alternate head that looks like the one from the live-action movie. I've got the Figma one but I'm real tempted to order this new one.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/190731

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Last Call posted:

I see this and think:

I'm not really familiar with that character but I see the resemblance!

Xenomrph posted:

BBTS and EE have preorders up for a new One:12 Collective Silent Hill 2 Pyramid Head figure for $100. He looks really nice and comes with a ton of accessories (including blood splatters, little beetles, and a mannequin he can, uh, manhandle) and even an alternate head that looks like the one from the live-action movie. I've got the Figma one but I'm real tempted to order this new one.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/190731

I always kinda wanted a Pyramid Head but never really had it in me to shell out import prices for one. Seems like a really easy custom job if I was ever inclined. Or maybe you or someone else will want to sell off their old one after this new one comes out.

Edit: Checked eBay and there's a bunch of dirt cheap Figma Pyramid Head and nurse sets dirt cheap from China. I'm assuming these are knock-offs. Anyone know if they're any good?

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 28, 2021

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The knock offs for those particular figures are exceptionally bad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a knock off (unlicensed) version of it in a sixth scale figure but it's rear end. He's pretty skinny, short, and the face under the helmet looks like kroenen? from Hellboy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Last Call posted:

I see this and think:

I'm annoyed that there's only one kind of Samurai Pizza Cats figure, and it's the kind that's expensive, high quality, and comes with a bunch of accessories. I just want some relatively posable mid-tier figures of those three goofs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund