Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I always felt bad for him because he did such a good great job with the whole acting thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So first 3 episodes of Tales of the Empire have all been Morgan Elsbeth... ? Who asked for this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

So first 3 episodes of Tales of the Empire have all been Morgan Elsbeth... ? Who asked for this.

It's definitely structured different than Tales of the Jedi. And it suffers for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

It's definitely structured different than Tales of the Jedi. And it suffers for it.

I mean, Tales of the Jedi was more or less just Dooku and Ahsoka but it was handled a lot better in my opinion (they particularly fumbled the Bariss section as others have mentioned)

AndyElusive posted:

That's partially because after we all failed Jake Lloyd it's now a general consensus that anybody who shits on Best nowadays gets a fuckin slap in the mouf.

Ah yes, Star Wars fanatics basically killed the former’s whole career as I understand it (he had a couple more acting roles in 2001 and then that was it) and didn’t do wonders for his life/mental state either

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 6, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

I mean, Tales of the Jedi was more or less just Dooku and Ahsoka but it was handled a lot better in my opinion (they particularly fumbled the Bariss section as others have mentioned)

Tales of the Jedi went back and forth a little bit (starting with baby Ahsoka, then spending some time with Dooku, before going back to Ahsoka). Empire is just, "Here are the Morgan episodes, now here are the Bariss episodes," without giving you a reason to care about either. Most everyone knows Dooku and Ahsoka, and even if you don't know Ahsoka, the first episode introduces her as a literal baby and meeting her parents. Empire gives you zero info about Bariss, and while it introduces Morgan to you, most people don't care about her. I liked her appearance on Mando, but she met a rather ignoble end on the Ahsoka TV show, so...meh?

It was just a series of odd choices, I dunno. I was disappointed, especially after how good Jedi was.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I know Anakin probably doesn’t give a poo poo about Bariss one way or another in his current state but there could have at least been some interaction besides him just sitting in a chair in front of her breathing

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Larryb posted:

Also I know Anakin probably doesn’t give a poo poo about Bariss one way or another in his current state but there could have at least been some interaction besides him just sitting in a chair in front of her breathing

It feels like that scene existed just so they could shove Vader into a trailer without outright making it up

I laughed

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

koolkal posted:

It feels like that scene existed just so they could shove Vader into a trailer without outright making it up

My impression from all the things that have involved Vader and the Inquisition before this point leads me to suspect that was about his level of involvement--glower menacingly as a threat/motivation, and be available to be called in when they find a Jedi the scab inquisitors can't handle.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I suspect Vader showing up to the Inquisitor meeting was more for Vader's benefit than the inquisitors. Vader's really mopey and probably not super receptive to Sheev at the moment, and the Inquisitor system is a not-so-subtle reminder that he is replacable if he doesn't cooperate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

There have been a bunch of very weird rumours for upcoming Lego sets which all make a lot more sense after seeing this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wrapping up Tales of the Empire. This was much more "Fight Scene: The Series" than Tales of the Jedi.

The Morgan Elsbeth Episodes: Episode 1 was the strongest for sure, seeing Grevious as a dangerous rear end in a top hat was fun. The rest was just pretty boring overall. I agree that the story structure was just worse overall. I was failing to really see what it was truly adding to the canon or if it was even interesting as just a star wars story. The Elsbeth set of episodes is really just "here is how someone was almost genocided and then became a tyrannous crank on a backwater planet". Wow great I guess?[

Barriss Offee: I have a soft spot for the transition period to the Empire so I liked these episodes much more than the Morgan ones. Now because I know Barriss from the Clone Wars I didnt need really much to establish an interest in what was going on and I think the first 2 episodes were really strong. I AGREE that it was a huge missed opportunity to not do more with Vader and Barriss. That aside I liked the fight choreography in episode 1 and thought the massacre in episode 2 was really well executed. The saber poking out of the wall was great. The ending is the weakest part here. Leaving yet another cliff hanger on whats going on with Barriss is a bridge too far. Saving her for something else I guess?

Overall Tales of the Jedi was just so much better. Ahsoka smoking that inquisitor in 2 seconds, the entire Dooku backstory showing his disillusionment with the Republic. That was fantastic world building. I think that resonated more because it was cool to see "new" information. These stories did not really tell us anything we didnt know about the Empire or the Republic->Empire transition, which is a missed opportunity.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Star Wars just does not need even more Jedi running around in the Rebellion era. It's fine that a bunch of them survive the purge and the Empire spends the next 10-15 years hunting them all down. But they need to stop writing stories about those Jedi surviving being hunted down.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There's what, 5 or 6 Jedi still alive and bumming around when the OT starts? It's not that wild. Cal, Ahsoka, Gungi, Ventress and maybe Quinlan Voss and Barris?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There's what, 5 or 6 Jedi still alive and bumming around when the OT starts? It's not that wild. Cal, Ahsoka, Gungi, Ventress and maybe Quinlan Voss and Barris?

We don't know that Ventress is still alive by then do we?

Also Obi Wan and Yoda. And Luke from a certain point of view. And Grogu.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
One wonders if anyone even died during order 66.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A handful is fine-ish. It's that every show is adding to the list, and with every one that's running around the Empire gets a little bit less dangerous and Luke gets a bit less special and the story of the OT retrospectively makes a little less sense with their absence (and that's me with a SMG-like 'canon is nonsense, interpret every piece of media on its individual merits' starting point').

At a minimum I think that it's important for the mythos - and just for satisfying storytelling - that characters have to earn their escape from the Empire because it is absolutely coming to kill you, force sensitives more than anyone. Bariss and Lyn absolutely do not earn that escape. c.f. The Bad Batch is a whole three season arc about escaping the Empire and the characters have to struggle and suffer and lose and they only make it by the skin of their teeth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

stev posted:

We don't know that Ventress is still alive by then do we?

Yeah most of those are unknown.

Ahsoka's absence during the OT is the really noticeable one though since she was active with the Rebellion just a few years before the OT started.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah most of those are unknown.

Ahsoka's absence during the OT is the really noticeable one though since she was active with the Rebellion just a few years before the OT started.

And then immediately after.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There were apparently 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy on the eve of Order 66. If we assume Order 66 had a 99% hit rate, that still leaves 100 Jedi. A 95% rate leaves 500 Jedi. The whole existence of Inquisitors suggests that Jedi survivors were not exactly a rare occurrence, you don't set up a whole system of like 50 people to track down 7 guys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not every jedi was a "general" leading an army of clones. I'm guessing a lot of the ones who weren't surrounded by clones or on Coruscant when order 66 came down were able to make a run for it.

The only question is how long they lasted. It's a big galaxy, and not all of it was under the empire's control.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

3 Action Economist posted:

And then immediately after.

The best solution I've heard is that she was trapped on Malachor for a while after Ezra rescued her. It's still something that needs to be addressed.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Just going by what's in the movies we can pretty safely assume that a not-insignificant percentage of Jedi survived the initial purge, or there would have been no reason for the Empire to set off the "all Jedi come back to Coruscant" beacon that Obi-Wan and Yoda subsequently hacked to say "everybody loving run and hide." So yeah, I have no issues believing a fair number survived. And plenty of them probably didn't get directly involved with the Rebel Alliance for loads of reasons ranging from space PTSD to being tangled up in their own poo poo to simply never managing to make contact with a Rebel cell.

But ultimately of course it's just one of those irreconcilable differences between "Star Wars as a single story" and "Star Wars as a vast multimedia franchise." From a mythic, storytelling perspective it only works if Luke is the last of the Jedi, but on the other hand people love the glow laser swords and magic powers and don't typically respond well to "that character you really liked died offscreen because the movie said so."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GimpInBlack posted:

But ultimately of course it's just one of those irreconcilable differences between "Star Wars as a single story" and "Star Wars as a vast multimedia franchise." From a mythic, storytelling perspective it only works if Luke is the last of the Jedi, but on the other hand people love the glow laser swords and magic powers and don't typically respond well to "that character you really liked died offscreen because the movie said so."

Those two things didn't have to be irreconcilable if Lucas and Star Wars as a whole didn't continually go back to earlier times or to spaces in between the movies and create those problems for themselves.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The best solution I've heard is that she was trapped on Malachor for a while after Ezra rescued her. It's still something that needs to be addressed.

Probably used one of the Inquisitor ships, since they no longer had need of them

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Probably used one of the Inquisitor ships, since they no longer had need of them

Oh I meant that her absence though the OT needed to be addressed, I should have been clearer. How she got off the planet is only interesting if they want to keep her there a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rochallor posted:

There were apparently 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy on the eve of Order 66. If we assume Order 66 had a 99% hit rate, that still leaves 100 Jedi. A 95% rate leaves 500 Jedi. The whole existence of Inquisitors suggests that Jedi survivors were not exactly a rare occurrence, you don't set up a whole system of like 50 people to track down 7 guys.

It's not just to hunt the existing ones, the Inquisition would also make sure the idea of Jedi Stay Gone. Force-sensitive threats get dealt with quietly or loudly, etc.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya we quite literally saw the Inquistorious has no issues in snuffing out or capturing a baby who even smells like a force sensitive. So even if they had killed all known Jedi, they want to control the next generation. If only so they can have more bodies for whatever followed up Project Necromancer.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally caught up on star wars after being busy the past couple days.

Echoing everyone else that's generally disappointed with Tales of the Empire. Tales of the Jedi may have been a bit hard to follow up with, but it still feels like Tales of the Empire fell short. Vader's appearance definitely felt hamfisted, along with a lot of other things in this series. Lots of characters just being evil to a farcical degree, and very silly things like everything involved with the final inquisitor test. I dug the art direction of Barriss' last episode, and her whole character direction reclaiming her jedi ways. Barriss aging while Lyn wasn't looked a bit odd, but aliens gonna be aliens.

This new trailer for The Acolyte does make it look a bit more promising, but still not like it will be an amazing breakthrough star wars story. I guess I remain cautiously optimistic about it. Looking forward to the premiere come June.

I'm happy Ahmed Best is coming back for Darth Jar Jar, I hope he comes back for more Jar Jar tangents and antics wherever it can make sense.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if Best's Jedi will make an appearance in Skeleton Crew, given Kelleran Beq's used to working with kids, whether it's training younglings or saving them

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 7, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Jaleel White is part of the cast of that series, curious what he’s going to be playing

Jude Law will be playing a Jedi (or at least a force user) as well

https://collider.com/star-wars-skeleton-crew-release-window-jaleel-white-role/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 7, 2024

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Jaleel White is part of the cast of that series, curious what he’s going to be playing

I hope he's a bumbling droid that knocks over everything in his path.

"Did ***ID ERROR*** do that?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope he plays Sonic

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if Best's Jedi will make an appearance in Skeleton Crew, given Kelleran Beq's used to working with kids, whether it's training younglings or saving them

We don't know if he survived to the Mando era yet, so maybe!

But I kinda think they're going to keep his character a secret for future Mando flashbacks, so you don't know if he survives his journey with Grogu. So I doubt it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Barris aged because she's matured. Lynn didn't because she's constantly frightened and clinging to her life.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thats an interesting take on it. I just assumed her race didn't age the same. Yoda and Grogu have broken me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

Thats an interesting take on it. I just assumed her race didn't age the same. Yoda and Grogu have broken me.

It can work both ways. Their alien races can be an in canon explanation for the story reason.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I think more might be going on with Barris there than what is explicitly said. She's referred to as the healer, and if she healed the Jedi in the second episode along with others off screen, she might be exchanging part of her life force to help heal people as a form of atonement. So she might be aging in fast forward as a side effect.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What was the reason behind Burris’ heel turn back in TCW in the first place again? Was she mad that the Jedi had basically become soldiers of the Republic or something?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pretty much. She was upset that the order of ascetic monks were being used as glorified shock troops and commanding armies.

So, naturally, she set off a bomb in the temple, killed a bunch of innocent people and framed Ahsoka.

Just makes sense really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

She only appeared in like two season 1 or 2 episodes, and then never again until she reappeared at the end of season 5 where she bombed the Jedi temple and then pinned it on Ashoka when she got too close.

She didn't plan on framing Ashoka at first, but she was investigating the bombing with Anakin, so she planted evidence and set Ashoka up eventually.