Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress the Rebel media. gently caress em right up their stupid asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe you dumb fucks should stop posting their poo poo in here

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
OLP is managing the hydro costs problem exactly the same way Ontarians handle their own excessive spending problems. The government of the people.

quote:

Premier Kathleen Wynne will slash electricity rates by 25 per cent this year, the Star has learned.

In a dramatic move to be finalized at cabinet Wednesday, Wynne’s government is poised to unveil sweeping measures to rein in the soaring hydro bills that currently have the Liberals’ popularity plummeting.

Sources say the massive reduction in rates will come mostly by “smoothing out” the financing costs of electricity generation contracts over longer periods.

It’s the equivalent of refinancing a mortgage to enjoy lower payments over a longer time on nuclear reactors, natural gas-fired power plants, and wind turbines.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/03/01/premier-kathleen-wynne-to-cut-hydro-rates-by-25-per-cent.html

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh for the love of God just nationalize power generation again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Any Winnipeg goons know if this thing is going to be worth going to if you want to start being part of the solution, or is it just going to be a bunch of over privileged people yelling at the problem?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Any Winnipeg goons know if this thing is going to be worth going to if you want to start being part of the solution, or is it just going to be a bunch of over privileged people yelling at the problem?

It has a reception, so the latter.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EvilJoven posted:

It's the U of M so you might meet 2-3 people who actually care, if it was the U of W everyone would pat themselves on the back and then bike to the latest on-campus art exhibit to get cultured.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I already met one person really high up the chain in the student activism scene at UW and I could only handle him being on my FB friends list for a few days before I got so sick and tired of the constand armchair leftist spam complete with reposting more LOL WHITE PEOPLE TEARS AMIRITE garbage than you ever see in here without ever once seeing him posting about anything that might fix the problems in our society that I accidentally unfriended him completely rather than just unfollowing him.

And LOL about the bike thing because I met him at a cycling event.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ya'll left out the best part

https://twitter.com/withfilesfrom/status/836706391918325760

drat straight since my parents won't tell me I'll learn about sex from my totally informed friends!

i think we rub our butts together

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In some good Canadian news.

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/836955649175130114

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
People are slow with the wire today

quote:

Wynne to cut hydro bills by 25 per cent: report

A media report says Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is planning to cut electricity rates by 25 per cent [total] this year.

The Toronto Star reports that Wynne's cabinet is expected to approve the move today, with an announcement to come as early as Thursday.

Sources told the newspaper the Liberals intend to slash soaring hydro bills largely by "smoothing out" the financing costs of electricity generation contracts over longer periods.

The reduction would include the eight per cent rebate on the provincial portion of the harmonized sales tax that kicked in this year.

Wynne's office would not confirm the plan to The Canadian Press.

But the premier, whose government faces no bigger political issue at the moment than hydro bills, has promised further relief for ratepayers ahead of the spring budget.

By The Canadian Press

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Doesn't that mean dick all when lots of people are still paying a fuckton of delivery and service charges and their actual consumption is the lowest contributor to their bill?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

Doesn't that mean dick all when lots of people are still paying a fuckton of delivery and service charges and their actual consumption is the lowest contributor to their bill?

There is a fixed connection charge, and a pro-rated charge based on usage. Lowering some costs is better than not, but the hydrotears are usually rurals with 2000 mwh usage.

They still wont get re-elected

e: e#61

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh for the love of God just nationalize power generation again.

This please.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know, I've come to realize just where the line between being a good leftist and a lovely leftist is, and it's whether or not one spends more energy trying to work towards solutions or just making noise in left wing echo chambers about the problems. It's sad that the rhetoric online, both in threads like this and on Facebook and on Twitter seems to be so much of the latter and so little of the former that the first question I ask when I see a poster for an event like what I posted is 'How much is this event going to be like sitting in a nightmarish manifestation of CanPol and my Facebook feed?'

I should just suck it up and start going to some of these events and hope that it isn't going to be the case.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

You know, I've come to realize just where the line between being a good leftist and a lovely leftist is, and it's whether or not one spends more energy trying to work towards solutions or just making noise in left wing echo chambers about the problems. It's sad that the rhetoric online, both in threads like this and on Facebook and on Twitter seems to be so much of the latter and so little of the former that the first question I ask when I see a poster for an event like what I posted is 'How much is this event going to be like sitting in a nightmarish manifestation of CanPol and my Facebook feed?'

I should just suck it up and start going to some of these events and hope that it isn't going to be the case.

A nightmarish manifestation of this thread would be where we actually like the city you live in and would remark about its ability to be better than any place else in the world.

Fortunately this is far from the case.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

I recommend direct action against Bell infrastructure in your province.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

Being progressive is easy. What issue do you want society to make progress on? How can you help that progress along? Do that thing. Me personally, I like to raise awareness of how high hydro rates are contributing to poverty and I'm just chuffed to read in the news today that I'm finally having an effect.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Federal government is cutting funding to a local college that provides level 5-8 ESL programs for immigrants and instead funneling it all in level 1-4 ESL programs to get rid of the backlog. You can apply for citizenship at Level 4, but the best job you can work is a janitorial position or maybe manual labor? Working in retail requires a level 6. So hurrah to the Liberals for bringing in a bunch of people and not providing them the skills to succeed in this great country. :canada:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's loving heartbreaking. I've seen some really hard working intelligent people struggle to succeed in this country due to language barrier issues.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Ya I already met one person really high up the chain in the student activism scene at UW and I could only handle him being on my FB friends list for a few days before I got so sick and tired of the constand armchair leftist spam complete with reposting more LOL WHITE PEOPLE TEARS AMIRITE garbage than you ever see in here without ever once seeing him posting about anything that might fix the problems in our society that I accidentally unfriended him completely rather than just unfollowing him.

And LOL about the bike thing because I met him at a cycling event.

My time in the UW student activism scene was ruined because I focused my studies on finance/business and was immediately part of the "problem" according to them. There was a period of a few years where they couldn't even get a delegate from the business faculty due to hostilities coming from them. Meanwhile they wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars of student fees on a failing coffee shop because it gave back to the community somehow, only to close it after years of mismanagement.

As much as I hate to say it, they really were just paying lip service to "leftist" ideals while being a club to boost your resume. The amount of hostility completely turned off a lot of people I know from becoming active to solve problems in our city.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
At least they aren't even being opaque about how the federal immigration plan is about wage breaking on behalf of corporate interests and not actually humanitarian goals. It's a loving travesty.

Did Ontario do the same thing BC did, where they spun off the Transmission arm of the hydro corp into an independent entity so that they could charge higher rates there in an attempt to break the parent entity faster? The history of the BCTC is a great and relatively unknown example of the Liberals really loving poo poo up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Rime posted:

At least they aren't even being opaque about how the federal immigration plan is about wage breaking on behalf of corporate interests and not actually humanitarian goals. It's a loving travesty.

Did Ontario do the same thing BC did, where they spun off the Transmission arm of the hydro corp into an independent entity so that they could charge higher rates there in an attempt to break the parent entity faster? The history of the BCTC is a great and relatively unknown example of the Liberals really loving poo poo up.

Most of our immigrants are either educated or have money, our refugees have neither. Immigration in Canada is essentially putting low educated/rurals into the low wage earner categories because they are not part of the knowledge economy. This cab be seen by ways of regional voting, the rurals vote right, and immigrants vote left.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 1, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Sorry, I should point out the programs also teach refugees English and another side note is once immigrants and refugees obtain full citizenship they lose all access to subsidized English programs as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada should have free french and or english education to anyone who wants to learn at any time of their lives. This would hugely help ESL citizens, and maybe get some monolingual canadians to learn another langauge. Just have a federally funded french and english class in every university and college.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Canada should have free french and or english education to anyone who wants to learn at any time of their lives. This would hugely help ESL citizens, and maybe get some monolingual canadians to learn another langauge. Just have a federally funded french and english class in every university and college.

I'd support this, it's a great idea.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

A nightmarish manifestation of this thread would be where we actually like the city you live in and would remark about its ability to be better than any place else in the world.

Fortunately this is far from the case.

I think Ottawa is a nice city and my life is pretty great and overall a lot better than if I was born in the vast majority of the world. Also our schools are good and I was able to get a good job and when my son was born I didn't have to pay out of pocket for it and just in general life is pretty great. Being a reasonably smart, above average height, straight, white Canadian with social skills and at most minor mental illness is in fact awesome.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Ottawa: Hey, at least it's not Kingston.

e. Living here for so long, I kind of take for granted all the neat museums and stuff. Took my kid to the nature museum on the weekend, it's pretty good now.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 1, 2017

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Sure, and I'd like to have dental and eye care covered under the Health Canada act, and also a unicorn.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Ottawa: Hey, at least it's not Kingston.

"It's a nice place for raising kids"

Also for cushy government jobs / marrying people with cushy government jobs.

e: yeah the museums here are cool. free on Thursdays too

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

sitchensis posted:

Sure, and I'd like to have dental and eye care covered under the Health Canada act, and also a unicorn.

Yeah dental and eye should be incredibly affordable too, and pay for them selves in the long run with the long term health benefits. Unicorns would require investments in bio-tech. I can imagine the government spending billions and actually coming up with some amazing canadian innovations, producing a unicorn and groundbreaking genetic engineering technology, then selling the patents and entire industry to SNC Lavalin for pennies only to be squandered with the most basic bitch level rent seeking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like providing fully covered dental and eye care would probably be significantly more expensive than making English and French language classes available free to those who want them, if I'm being honest.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

I feel like providing fully covered dental and eye care would probably be significantly more expensive than making English and French language classes available free to those who want them, if I'm being honest.

... obviously

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Risky Bisquick posted:

Most of our immigrants are either educated or have money, our refugees have neither. Immigration in Canada is essentially putting low educated/rurals into the low wage earner categories because they are not part of the knowledge economy. This cab be seen by ways of regional voting, the rurals vote right, and immigrants vote left.
I know you and Rime will kick and scream about this, but anti-immigration sentiment in Canada is primarily about culture/identity, it's not about economic pressures.

Also "immigrants" aren't a left-wing voting bloc.

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 1, 2017

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

PT6A posted:

True. But both are in the category of good, forward thinking, painfully obvious ideas that the Government of Canada should be doing that will never see the light of day.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would not have guessed jm20 and rime would agree on anything.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Interesting reflection from a black professor who moved from Halifax to Pennsylvania on the differences between Canadian and American racism.

http://puritan-magazine.com/invidious-comparisons-thoughts-home/

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Jordan7hm posted:

I would not have guessed jm20 and rime would agree on anything.
Well CanPol is basically 100 data points in support of horseshoe theory so who knows

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
https://twitter.com/davidgordonkoch/status/836979809137852418

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Artisanal craft-bombs