Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

COMMANDUH SHEPUHD, WE NEED A TECH EXPERT. SOMEONE WHO IS GOOD WITH OMNI TOOLS AND TECH THINGS, A TECH-BASED CHARACTER who can go into the vents

:shepface: Ah yes, the vents! I got this one all figured out. Nothing gets past me, game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

COMMANDUH SHEPUHD, WE NEED A TECH EXPERT. SOMEONE WHO IS GOOD WITH OMNI TOOLS AND TECH THINGS, A TECH-BASED CHARACTER who can go into the vents

:shepface: Ah yes, the vents! I got this one all figured out. Nothing gets past me, game!

please don't quote me explicitly

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

exquisite tea posted:

You can't blame people for putting Thane in the vents, they introduced him with a vent! They were just sending him home.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I put Zaeed in charge of the fire squad the first time around. This turned out to be an error on my part.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

JawKnee posted:

I put Zaeed in charge of the fire squad the first time around. This turned out to be an error on my part.

He was the only one to make it out of there alive

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Garrus got eaten by bugs when a disloyal Jack couldn't keep up her shields for me

Sticking with the Miranda romance was a bad idea

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I like how seven years later we can have discussions about all the cool decisions to make in the suicide mission, much like the time in March 2017's Mass Effect: Andromeda when

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JawKnee posted:

There were a lot of people who got upset that he wasn't considered a good choice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

There were a lot of people who got upset that he wasn't considered a good choice

I remember doing it the first time and going through the character descriptions on the page where you choose the person, it's literally something like:
Tali: A technical expert....
Legion: A machine designed for infiltration, legion is an expert hacker
Thane: an assassin...

The other choices are similar:
Squad leader was something like:
Miranda: Genetically engineered and raised for leadership...
Garrus: an expert in small unit tactics

I remember thinking "could they have made this any more obvious? Who could gently caress this up?" Everyone apparently.

Where you can lose people easily is on the "hold the line" part if you send a strong person with the crew and take 2 strong people with you to the boss.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I think I lost Mordin my first time during hold the line because I sent Grunt to guard the crew and took Garrus and Zaeed to the final fight. Maybe that wasn't my first time, but getting rid of the tanks means the squishes are more likely to die in that segment.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The worrying thing about the Suicide Mission is that when people got asked to pick a squad lead, their mind did not immediately jump to Garrus. Homeboy was presented as Shepard protege from the very beginning, and has been with you from the start.

Your mind went to the alcoholic failure over your boy Garrus? What game you been playing.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Rookersh posted:

The worrying thing about the Suicide Mission is that when people got asked to pick a squad lead, their mind did not immediately jump to Garrus. Homeboy was presented as Shepard protege from the very beginning, and has been with you from the start.

Your mind went to the alcoholic failure over your boy Garrus? What game you been playing.

Garrus died for me because i made miranda thr biotic shield person. Only death i had and it was the worst, he was my bro :((

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Where you can lose people easily is on the "hold the line" part if you send a strong person with the crew and take 2 strong people with you to the boss.

i remember the me2 thread well and a lot of people did lose at least 1 squadmate on their first playthrough, the comedy reasons were thane and zaeed yeah but the most common cause was probably taking garrus & zaeed/grunt into the finale then losing someone like moridin, jack or tali holding the line, i personally didn't lose anyone here but i easily could have because i didn't know to mash strictly the renegade or paragon option all game long which meant i didn't have the points to defuse every slapfight and so i had to bring disloyal characters to that mission - but by the time i'd gone through overlord, lotsb and arrival post-game i did have the loyalty of everyone

not that it helped, i actually lost someone in me3 since i'd gotten rusty with the galaxy map and i misread the briefing for the grissom academy mission, that mission expired so a while later at the cereberus base i had to put down an indoctrinated phantom-jack :shepface:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 15, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

OctaMurk posted:

Garrus died for me because i made miranda thr biotic shield person. Only death i had and it was the worst, he was my bro :((

i think miranda even offers herself for the job and i was like, youre genetically engineered u probably got this.

goodbye tali

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Milky Moor posted:

Everyone I know, including me, lost at least one person during the suicide mission.

That person was generally Thane Of The Vents.

:same:

And Zaeed fire team leader crew, represent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honestly I was expecting bad choices to result more in the deaths of people you didn't pick. Like you pick Zaeed for the fire team and everyone on the fire team dies but him. Also when I was picking for vents the first time I was expecting something like "who you pick determines how long you have to wait for the door to open; survive this horde mode fight until the door opens."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i remember overthinking the suicide mission since i thought miranda/jack and tali/legion were gonna get into another slapfight if i left them alone or that maybe the crew was still going to die if picked someone without medical experience to lead them out

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't remember what I did because I don't remember much of the game honestly, but I remember everyone that I wanted to survive, did surive that mission. I realized that mass effect was always pulling half-assed subversions of video-game logic to make you gently caress-up into a tragic moment and I meta'd my way into purposely killing Jack I think.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I got a bunch of my squad murdered on my first playthrough and went back to an earlier save and consulted a game guide. I'm one of those really anal gamers that talks to everyone after each mission to make sure I don't miss anything so I find it really stressful to have a lot of checks for certain achievements. Still loved it though.

When Mordin died I yelled at the screen and went back to way earlier in order to save him. (Yes I have a problem but I'm probably not alone here).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rookersh posted:

The one where he was a merc that had survived everything, with the experience to show for it? :shrug:

in hindsight yeah I should have remembered his stories about everyone around him dying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

To be fair:
Miranda: got everyone in her research projects killed
Garrus: got his squad on omega killed
Zaeed: last survivor in every story he tells

None are actually presented as particularly good options tbh. As I said though the descriptions scream "PICK ME" for the correct options, regardless of plot points.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawKnee posted:

The one where he was a merc that had survived everything, with the experience to show for it? :shrug:

in hindsight yeah I should have remembered his stories about everyone around him dying

It is actually a kinda cool arc for his character if he sacrifices himself for the fire team though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First time I did the suicide mission i had a disloyal Miranda and Legion, so I thought that if I kept them close, they could survive the mission.

Neither one survived Reaper Baby.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

i'm pretty sure that most people only do the loyalty missions for people they like, or possibly don't even do them at all. they're actually fairly easy to miss if you don't talk to everyone constantly, and there's plenty of people who just play mass effect like a shooter where they occasionally get to have enough of their disingenuous assertions.
Or ignore Kelly's repeated "X would like to speak to you, Shepard." I mean, I know it's Kelly but she yells at you every time you go to the goddamn galaxy map.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I lost Legion on my first playthrough because I was like, "okay, but there's no way the game actually has a metric for 'who would be a good leader'" and had him lead the second fireteam. I guess I under-thought it? I was seriously assuming it must be a cosmetic choice, because it's one of the last ones you make and all my other choices had passed by without incident.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That is a big downside to the Suicide Mission. It would be better if your whole team was involved in each collector mission so that you had a tutorial on how to manage each task.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair:
Miranda: got everyone in her research projects killed
Garrus: got his squad on omega killed
Zaeed: last survivor in every story he tells

None are actually presented as particularly good options tbh. As I said though the descriptions scream "PICK ME" for the correct options, regardless of plot points.

Garrus didn't get everyone killed, they all died when he wasn't there to handhold them. The real story there is that he didn't have a good second in command to lead while he was gone and being betrayed, which was the problem.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

widespread posted:

One quick look at the synopsis and I'm more than convinced that Fallout 4 is actually about the total conquest of Boston by a Mom/Dad who wonders where their son went.

... maybe it'll sit better if I think of it like that? Either way, sounds better than being a Ryder.

A lot of people felt the settlements were too disconnected from the game, and they can be at times, but there's something special about reviving and rebuilding a city, setting up communities and farms and stores, turning all the remaining resources of a mostly dead land to the singular purpose of building me a jetpack.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Garrus didn't get everyone killed, they all died when he wasn't there to handhold them. The real story there is that he didn't have a good second in command to lead while he was gone and being betrayed, which was the problem.

good leaders need to handhold the people under them?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

JawKnee posted:

Garrus would make a good small business owner, but would seriously struggle as that business expanded into a medium size business.

Now I'm picturing Garrus getting frustrated and personally showing a new hire how to properly wrap a burrito.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

JawKnee posted:

Shepherd handles everyone's personal poo poo all the time, so, maybe?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

JawKnee posted:

You'd be surprised how needy my African child soldiers can be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait Miranda fucks up the biotic bubble? I didn't know that. I always have Jack do it though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Only a loyal Jack or Samara can handle the bubble.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Adept Shepard did the bubble and the vents nobody on the mission would ever die.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I remember someone figured out the algorithm for the suicide mission on the old bioware forum, the various priorities of death for the different sections etc, I remember Miranda can only die holding the line and if brought to the finale when not loyal

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Arcsquad12 posted:

That is a big downside to the Suicide Mission. It would be better if your whole team was involved in each collector mission so that you had a tutorial on how to manage each task.

Man, this would be such a cool thing for Bioware to lean into with future games. One of my biggest complaints for their games (quality concerns aside) has always been that your team feels useless when you don't bring them along— especially in Mass Effect, where you're limited to just two instead of three. It would be a total nightmare for them judging by the suicide mission's complexity, but having a bunch of mini-versions of that throughout a game would make it feel like your team isn't just loving around when you leave them behind for a mission. Like maybe being able to assign them to run the mission so they're the one talking you through it, or having support roles that give you a unique bonus for certain missions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Adept Shepard did the bubble and the vents nobody on the mission would ever die.

Sentinel surely.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Generic American posted:

Man, this would be such a cool thing for Bioware to lean into with future games. One of my biggest complaints for their games (quality concerns aside) has always been that your team feels useless when you don't bring them along— especially in Mass Effect, where you're limited to just two instead of three. It would be a total nightmare for them judging by the suicide mission's complexity, but having a bunch of mini-versions of that throughout a game would make it feel like your team isn't just loving around when you leave them behind for a mission. Like maybe being able to assign them to run the mission so they're the one talking you through it, or having support roles that give you a unique bonus for certain missions.

The only thing I learned happens when I'm away in Andromeda is Liam likes to get naked with aliens whenever you leave him alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Generic American posted:

Apparently there was something about their engine that would have made it impossible (iirc an interview said they had to modify a lot to get them all in one map in Citadel) but it would have been really cool if in the last bit on Earth where you're basically just playing a multiplayer match your whole surviving team showed up and their skills were separated as Squad Combat, Squad Tech and Squad Biotic or something.