Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Comedians say their speech is free, yet they charge for their shows. Curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: I never ever want to hear a north american or west euro leftist comment about the USSR or especially Ukraine ever again. Watching my wife who was born in the fuckin USSR and is now having daily cries about the current state of Russia read some twitter take about Putin's Legitimate Security Concerns and cry again is the worst thing in my life. I brought politics to the PHUO thread, fuckin sue me, she's about to be home and I'm about to watch her cry and then start crying myself because brave comrades love a fascist state.

sir this is the Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock Thread

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

There is literally nothing preventing this from happening right now.

But in many ways it is already too late. Let Will Smith's slap be the slap heard round the world and create a new standard. Let a thousand flowers bloom from the death of four olds and the comedy that enables them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s a pretty hosed up way to view other human beings!

It's how the "hoi polloi" is most commonly viewed in most fiction and in real life. Applying it to the wealthy is just turnabout as fair play.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Watching my wife who was born in the fuckin USSR and is now having daily cries about the current state of Russia read some twitter take about Putin's Legitimate Security Concerns and cry again is the worst thing in my life.

I don't want to sound crass, but I think that sometimes not reading twitter might help. Continually plugging oneself into something like that sounds emotionally damaging to the nth degree. If it's causing her this much distress then turning it off for a while can help?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

It's how the "hoi polloi" is most commonly viewed in most fiction and in real life. Applying it to the wealthy is just turnabout as fair play.

I don't want to sound crass, but I think that sometimes not reading twitter might help. Continually plugging oneself into something like that sounds emotionally damaging to the nth degree. If it's causing her this much distress then turning it off for a while can help?

Nah I agree. I think twitter/sa/etc doomscrolling about serious issues (not just war but things like climate change or covid as well, lots of things) can be horribly exacerbating for mental illness. I speak from personal experience. I can have bad days where bad new hits me right in the PTSD and I'm barely able to walk and breathe at the same time for a week after.

PHUO: Summer is bullshit. It's currently 18 degrees/99% humidity and that's the best it's going to be all day. What the gently caress is wrong with people who like warm weather? I want winter back. Polar winters forever, summer never. The sun is overrated.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It's nice to have sunshine and 15 degree weather, especially when you live in Scotland and its something you only experience on 15 random days throughout the summer

Not gonna lie though, insects alone make me wish it was winter already

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I try not be too invested in the war in Ukraine. I mean obviously what’s happening is terrible for all the people just trying to live their lives and I do feel bad for them but, I dunno, I just feel like my engagement with what’s going on should be proportional to how much control I have over it.

Like, I could sit and digest updates on the war 24/7 (like my mom is doing for instance) but I can’t stop any of it so all it’s going to do is make me feel like poo poo. Conversely, if I was in a position to have some impact I would definitely feel obligated to keep informed up to the minute.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

I try not be too invested in the war in Ukraine. I mean obviously what’s happening is terrible for all the people just trying to live their lives and I do feel bad for them but, I dunno, I just feel like my engagement with what’s going on should be proportional to how much control I have over it.

Like, I could sit and digest updates on the war 24/7 (like my mom is doing for instance) but I can’t stop any of it so all it’s going to do is make me feel like poo poo. Conversely, if I was in a position to have some impact I would definitely feel obligated to keep informed up to the minute.

My wife and I are having her 17yo cousin from Rubtsovsk crash with us and go to school here, to avoid russian conscription, so it's kinda impossible to just deconnect.

Like every three hours we check flights in case there is a sooner one from Kazakhstan to the USA but nope, Nur-Sultan is only flying to Frankfurt on the covid and war years, so we have to wait to April first. I cry about this every drat day and try to get him out. Four more days then 30 hours. He got out of Russia to KZ so at least there is that. The rest is easy. Just three more days.

e: it sucks so much for real, like to some of us it isn't a posting war, it's real. There's dead guys rotting in craters posted on twitter while others just go "lol that's awesome I don't know which end of the rifle is the front but this rules helllll yeahhhhh"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Mar 29, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You’re doing good by your family, so good on you. I hope his journey is safe and things calm down for you guys once he’s safe with you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

You’re wrong on both counts there, bugman.

PHUO: we should try to care about the people in around us and not be weird resentment gargoyles

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
won't someone think of the poor maligned billionaires???

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Honestly anyone with a net worth in the eight figures or above could disappear overnight and the world would be a significantly better place

Put them all in a meat grinder and their slurry would at least be useful as a fertilizer, which is more use to the world than they ever were in life

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No. Save ye

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

You’re wrong on both counts there, bugman.

PHUO: we should try to care about the people in around us and not be weird resentment gargoyles

I'd disagree, the emphasis on the idea of "mobs" the way in which democracy and the attempt by people to be heard, the vilification of the poor and marginalised shows that the people who run the world truly do think that the poor aren't really "people" but as weird puppets that do things.

I do think we should try and see humanity in everyone. However that does not, nor should it, stop is from realising that violence is still very human.

Also I'd disagree on resentment too. Being kind to some people means that sometimes you'll have to be willing to shout at or get violent at other people. The big question is who is in either group.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I'd disagree, the emphasis on the idea of "mobs" the way in which democracy and the attempt by people to be heard, the vilification of the poor and marginalised shows that the people who run the world truly do think that the poor aren't really "people" but as weird puppets that do things.

I do think we should try and see humanity in everyone. However that does not, nor should it, stop is from realising that violence is still very human.

Also I'd disagree on resentment too. Being kind to some people means that sometimes you'll have to be willing to shout at or get violent at other people. The big question is who is in either group.

I agree with you on most of this but I don’t think necessary righteous violence (and I think we’ll ultimately disagree on what that ultimately is) comes from being filled with resentment. I think resentment mostly ends up in nihilism and bitterness

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It always does

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I agree with you on most of this but I don’t think necessary righteous violence (and I think we’ll ultimately disagree on what that ultimately is) comes from being filled with resentment. I think resentment mostly ends up in nihilism and bitterness

What is the difference between resentment and a desire for justice? All too often it seems as if negative outcomes are tied up with specific emotions, but anger can be an engine of change as powerful and as good as compassion.

At least that is what I've seen thus far anyway.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

What is the difference between resentment and a desire for justice? All too often it seems as if negative outcomes are tied up with specific emotions, but anger can be an engine of change as powerful and as good as compassion.

At least that is what I've seen thus far anyway.

Josef I don’t mean this as an insult but I just don’t have the vocabulary to explain how some emotions are different from each other to you

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Josef I don’t mean this as an insult but I just don’t have the vocabulary to explain how some emotions are different from each other to you

Sorry, that probably did sound weird, but I do have difficulty seeing if there is an actual difference between "you are justresentful" and "you are just a poo poo". Like from the outside its obviously hard to judge.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah I'm with you here. Like on a personal level because I can't escape this- I think it's righteous violence for Ukraine and its soldiers to defend their country and people from a war crime-happy invader. I don't resent russian conscripts. In fact I find it kinda sick how happy the internet is to see some kid in a Star Wars shirt and fatigues burn to death in a BMP, or russian soldiers getting shot in the legs just for vengeance. Violence doesn't require resentment, and in fact righteous violence should be carried out without resentment.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The difference between resentment/nihilism and righteous justice is whether or not you feel hurt and scared about stuff.

Imo don't feel those feelings, and you'll be fine. It's great.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

How can one tell from the outside, or inside, which is which though. Everyone seems very sure until the rubber hits the road.

I think judging by results is a better bet.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Mar 30, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You're asking me what it's like to not feel doubt and I don't know how to explain it to you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aramek posted:

You're asking me what it's like to not feel doubt and I don't know how to explain it to you.

No I'm not saying "what's it like to not feel doubt" but rather that it is hard to tell the difference from outside if something is motivated from the right or wrong reasons. I think it's why trying to go off results as opposed to professed reasons can be important.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

For years, comedians have been like, "The comedy stage is a sacred space, comedians need to be able to try out edgy new material without fear of repercussions, if people don't like what I say that's a societal problem." and society as a whole never agreed to that. We never said comedians can say whatever they want.

So its time for a corrective. Time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Comedians can still go on stage and talk about how gypsies aren't people or some kinds of women aren't as good as others, but if someone in the audience doesn't like it guess what you're getting laid the gently caress out.

To be honest I didn't really have the words for this until your post but... yeah.

I think thetoughestbean posted about "people should be kinder to one another" and like... yeah ok, but part of that kindness needs to be violent protection. For literally hundreds of years it has been pretty normal to make jokes about black people, about slavery, about how whole swathes of people aren't people.

Those opinions inevitably result in implicit support for policies that tangibly do harm people. People have been too nice to the Nazis in their streets, and even taking the Nazi example, in the 30s anti-Jewish, anti-Trans, anti-Gay attitudes were commonplace. The first books burned were ones detailing treatment for gender dysphoria, and documenting Trans people. The anti-Jewish attitudes that were for 20 years only spoken on the down-low, maybe printed in a few magazines, led almost directly to the gas chambers.

So yeah, people should be kinder to each other, but they should also be more than willing to beat the everloving poo poo out of anyone who decides to say that Jewish people look funny or that the Romani aren't human. Jimmy Carr should have been loving strung up and hung by the audience for making a "joke" that denies the humanity of a group of people who have been hounded and slaughtered and genocide through history for that exact reason.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

You know what happened to Richard Spencer after he got loving punched? He stopped spreading neo-nazi ideology and started getting denied from conferences.

Deplatforming works and if you're going to say for ten years that passive denial of speaking points is harmful and bad, oh brother let's see what thoughts you have about the alternative

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Absolutely nothing is stopping you from doing exactly what you are suggesting

Go give the bad guys a punch, go nuts

Be the change you want to see in the world

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

To be honest I didn't really have the words for this until your post but... yeah.

I think thetoughestbean posted about "people should be kinder to one another" and like... yeah ok, but part of that kindness needs to be violent protection. For literally hundreds of years it has been pretty normal to make jokes about black people, about slavery, about how whole swathes of people aren't people.

Those opinions inevitably result in implicit support for policies that tangibly do harm people. People have been too nice to the Nazis in their streets, and even taking the Nazi example, in the 30s anti-Jewish, anti-Trans, anti-Gay attitudes were commonplace. The first books burned were ones detailing treatment for gender dysphoria, and documenting Trans people. The anti-Jewish attitudes that were for 20 years only spoken on the down-low, maybe printed in a few magazines, led almost directly to the gas chambers.

So yeah, people should be kinder to each other, but they should also be more than willing to beat the everloving poo poo out of anyone who decides to say that Jewish people look funny or that the Romani aren't human. Jimmy Carr should have been loving strung up and hung by the audience for making a "joke" that denies the humanity of a group of people who have been hounded and slaughtered and genocide through history for that exact reason.

This.

Part of kindness is protecting the vulnerable from the powerful and petty. I'm not saying we should all rush out into the streets and start punchin' Nazis, but punching Nazis is good and cool and has been for about 100 years.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Tbh I think drawing a comparison between Chris rock and literal Nazi Richard Spencer is a little weird

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Little known fact: Chris rock took his name from his father and grandfather.

He is the third rock

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Little known fact: Chris rock took his name from his father and grandfather.

He is the third rock

He's also the child of his grandfather's child, which would make him the Third Rock from the Son.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Tbh I think drawing a comparison between Chris rock and literal Nazi Richard Spencer is a little weird

I'll be honest and say I was skimming the Chris rock chat and didn't catch that was where that became a comparison.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My mom is currently having surgery for her cataracts, which apparently involves her eyes being sliced open while she is awake.
My PHUO is when I am 70 years old and have cataracts, I would much rather be blind than go through that.
She is way more brave than I ever will be, and I just hope she doesn't sneeze lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I have to imagine eye surgeons have worked out a solution to sneezers and nervous blinkers because this is the 21st century and that seems like a pretty easy thing to go wrong

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They have a clockwork orange to hold your eyes open. It's pretty interesting to watch. They cut along the surface of the eye and pull back the membrane with a tweezers. It's dope looking

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I flip out getting eye pressure tests when I get new glasses, yikessss

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

They have a clockwork orange to hold your eyes open. It's pretty interesting to watch. They cut along the surface of the eye and pull back the membrane with a tweezers. It's dope looking

Well that sounds terrifying. Better than the alternative, sure.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

They deaden the poo poo out of your eye and benzo you so hard you wouldn't care if they were unwinding you

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gaius Marius posted:

is it the same thing they did surgery on a grape with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's cool they were able to adapt grape surgery equipment for use on eyes