Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

Walh Hara posted:

Have you tried an earlier bed time? It might be that he got overtired and as a consequence has a harder time going to sleep.

For reference, our 8 month old baby typically goes to sleep between 6 and 6h30 pm... (all babies are different though)

We are actually in the process of backing his bedtime up right now. Our goal for now is to get it back to 7:30 and see how it goes from there.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Finally got a good look at the molar breaking through on my kid. Absolutely brutal.

Ours has his front 6 teeth, and we are waiting on some more to come through any day. The amount of drool that comes out of this small buddy is incredible. I'm sure the molars are super uncomfortable though, that sucks for them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sweeper posted:

I would be sooooo happy if my kid ate spreads with the bread instead of just licking the spread off and tossing the bread away

Ugh, this is how my son eats a doughnut. The whole thing's fried sugar, but you're still just gonna eat the frosting off it?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Lately my kids have started to describe things as “too sugary” to try to get out of eating them, since it is apparently an unassailable excuse.

Black beans? Too sugary.
Carrots? Too sugary.
Chicken with soy sauce? You guessed it, too sugary.

Frozen banana slice with chocolate? Completely fine.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh, this is how my son eats a doughnut. The whole thing's fried sugar, but you're still just gonna eat the frosting off it?

Donuts, cake, cupcakes - my son only eats the frosting off. He doesn't like the bread parts. But set down a bowl of dinner rolls on the table, and that's all he'll eat.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Donuts, cake, cupcakes - my son only eats the frosting off. He doesn't like the bread parts. But set down a bowl of dinner rolls on the table, and that's all he'll eat.

fresh biscuits -> yes
day old biscuits -> no
toasted bread -> no
baguette from my bahn mi -> yes
fresh white bread -> yes
one day old white bread -> no

butter? yes, but hold the bread please

just eat the bread please, I want to make you sandwiches for lunch

Brawnfire posted:

she has never had a doughnut, but she will absolutely slam cake, never seen her eat so much so quickly, outside of bananas disappearing while my back is turned. starting to suspect she has a secret banana stash in her body

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

This is my 3 year old as well. Breadsticks? Toast? Devours it. The donut or cake itself after licking the frosting off: disgusting garbage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

King Hong Kong posted:

This is my 3 year old as well. Breadsticks? Toast? Devours it. The donut or cake itself after licking the frosting off: disgusting garbage.

i mean yeah someone licked it, ew

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I kept joking that it would be a massive own if my kid had to wear glasses like I do. Well he had an eye exam today and he’s farsighted. He’s not even 2 and already on the poo poo. I have no clue how we’re going to keep these things on his head lol.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Lucky for you toddlers with those goggle glasses are the cutest god drat thing on the planet.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Skeezy posted:

I kept joking that it would be a massive own if my kid had to wear glasses like I do. Well he had an eye exam today and he’s farsighted. He’s not even 2 and already on the poo poo. I have no clue how we’re going to keep these things on his head lol.

You're getting the kind with straps, right? Those are pretty good about keeping the glasses on their heads. As for getting them to wear the glasses, some combination of the glasses helping and most of her favorite adults wearing them helped. Our daughter got her glasses just after turning 2 and it only took her about a week to get used to them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Successful birthday party, daughter only burst out crying once when her friends started popping all the balloons.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

space uncle posted:

My kid kept asking for fire trucks and garbage trucks and school buses over and over again. He reached a critical mass where he didn’t even play with them he just parked them in neat rows and said “look! A parking lot!”

my son likes to line them all up and say "look at all the traffic"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Took the family for the 3yo’s first swim lesson of the summer.

Pros: littlest one loves the water

Cons: littlest on loves the water

I swear the kid has an Olympic level sprint speed towards the edge of the pool.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

space uncle posted:

My kid kept asking for fire trucks and garbage trucks and school buses over and over again. He reached a critical mass where he didn’t even play with them he just parked them in neat rows and said “look! A parking lot!”

Goddamn this is like the perfect illustration of the problems with induced demand

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

How does everyone handle intentional mealtime messes? Our soon to be 4yo has been getting increasingly careless about getting things from the plate to his mouth. He starts pretty good but gets worse as the meal goes on. Which is whatever, but when we point out he's making a mess or prompt to take a bit more care he will occasionally double down and intentionally make even more of a mess.

We stop the meal at that point, but having him help clean it up turns into him repeatedly trying to run off laughing while we try to keep him in the dining room until he at least somewhat cleans up a bit of it. It seems like a reasonable natural consequence but is he too young to get that when he's already deep into "being a reflexively defiant little jerk" mindset of a 3-4yo?

Also wondering what people's view is on toys in the bed? He wanted to bring a hot wheels car in last night, and I'm kind of like "that's not really a bed toy" but also "why not, it won't break into pieces or poke him or anything?"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Brawnfire posted:

Successful birthday party, daughter only burst out crying once when her friends started popping all the balloons.

Congratulations! We also had a really successful birthday party for my kid today too!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Shifty Pony posted:

Also wondering what people's view is on toys in the bed? He wanted to bring a hot wheels car in last night, and I'm kind of like "that's not really a bed toy" but also "why not, it won't break into pieces or poke him or anything?"
My friend with two kids has a rule that as long as they stay in bed at bedtime, they can do as they please. So I let my 3.5 year old have his monster trucks or whatever he wants in bed with him, so far so good.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We usually don’t let our daughter bring anything but her usual stuffies into bed. The compromise is she can put whatever toys of the night on the nightstand.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Messes you make you help clean up and failing to help clean up results in increasing and immediate consequences. figuring out what those are is the extra fun part of parenting but go tos for us are "we will not have time to read a story before bedtime," and other such. I'm not expecting perfection or doing an entire job at 3 1/2 but I do expect effort and a willingness to help.

My kid has gone to sleep surrounded by books, hot wheel cars, and her head mashed against a fisher price person. I do not understand how that is possible but like the poster above if she's in her bed and falling asleep slash not making much noise and the lights are off I don't care.

I have also never perfectly enforced any of this poo poo because I'm human but those are what I shoot for.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

“If you make a mess then you clean it up” has been the mantra for us. Obviously a 4yo won’t be super thorough, but it’s the effort that matters more than the skill, which they will develop with time. They’re just not allowed to move into something else until they’ve made an effort to clean up whatever mess they’ve made.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My nearly 4 year old has had a major step backwards with bed wetting. He was all good for like a year then starting a month ago has just started peeing the bed almost every night. I'm so tired of adding more laundry to the pile every single day.

He used to get up in the night and go pee but now he's just sleeping too hard I guess.

He doesn't seem to mind being covered in pee cause when he wakes up sometimes he wants to just crawl into bed with me without telling me that he's had an accident. Why, dude??

So I told him tonight that I'm gonna wake him up at some point to go pee. I'm not sure this is the best solution for anybody but we're gonna give it a go.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Is it normal for a 3 year old to tell you every single day, multiple times a day, what they want to be for Halloween.

Halloween was six months ago and isn’t for another six months dude. Everything we look at “I’m gonna be that for Halloween, you can be charmander, mama can be a princess. What do you want to be? I’m gonna be that guy.”

Today he wanted to be a pirate, a pikachu, a dragon, several pokemon I don’t know the name of, several random dudes in his books, a dragon, a crocodile, a dinosaur, Mario, Luigi, Waluigi, Bowser. Maybe he’s consuming too much media. It’s just funny he immediately ties it back to Halloween and then has to brainstorm costumes for the entire family. I think this may be the #1 thing he worries about.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bedtime story requests rotate between: Lion, Dinosaur, and Halloween

Heck my kid tells ME stories about Halloween

You dress up in a cool costume and people hand you more candy than you can carry what's not to like about it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Congratulations! We also had a really successful birthday party for my kid today too!

It's a loving relief to have it in the rearview, but it was fun. There's always that fear that nobody will show, but everyone my daughter invited came, weirdly enough, in the order their names were on the invitations list.

And I didn't get one goddamn macaron

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Rufio posted:

My nearly 4 year old has had a major step backwards with bed wetting. He was all good for like a year then starting a month ago has just started peeing the bed almost every night. I'm so tired of adding more laundry to the pile every single day.

Same, but eventually stopped. Growth phase I'm guessing that screws up the internal signalling methods or something.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

space uncle posted:

Is it normal for a 3 year old to tell you every single day, multiple times a day, what they want to be for Halloween.

Halloween was six months ago and isn’t for another six months dude. Everything we look at “I’m gonna be that for Halloween, you can be charmander, mama can be a princess. What do you want to be? I’m gonna be that guy.”

Today he wanted to be a pirate, a pikachu, a dragon, several pokemon I don’t know the name of, several random dudes in his books, a dragon, a crocodile, a dinosaur, Mario, Luigi, Waluigi, Bowser. Maybe he’s consuming too much media. It’s just funny he immediately ties it back to Halloween and then has to brainstorm costumes for the entire family. I think this may be the #1 thing he worries about.

My 6yo tells me his newest Halloween idea about once a week. I tell him it's a ways away yet, we'll see what he wants when it's closer, and we just bounce to the next topic.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

space uncle posted:

I loving hope so because this happens to us too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
When I was ages 5-10 Halloween was easily on par with birthday and Xmas.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

"I wish I had a toy fire truck." :smith:

Are you... Are you loving with me? Is this a sick joke? You must be cognizant of how many toy firetrucks you've got.

My 19mo is starting to remember every single toy vehicle he owns, even when they're put away and have been for weeks. We were trying to start switching out toys and hoping having fewer vehicles out will mean he plays with something that's not a toy truck, but he's learned the names of specific vehicles (cement truck, tow truck, etc.) and uses it to ask you to get one out of his closet upstairs until every single vehicle he owns is crammed into the living room cubby. He has been able to put them away by himself every evening though, with direction.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Night one of pee prevention: I waited until 2:30am and I was unfortunately too late. My son took it very well though and was very patient about being woken up and then changing clothes/bedding in the middle of the night.

Night two: went in at midnight and could barely wake him up, he was sleeping so hard. I can see how the accidents happen lol. But I did get him to get up and potty then he fell asleep 2 seconds after lying back down. Success!

He came into my room in the morning and was very pleased. He didn't remember waking up at all and found it very funny when I told him how he kept falling back asleep when I was trying to wake him up.

I'm not sure what my endgame is here but I guess I've got an alarm set for midnight for the foreseeable future. All I know is that I don't need to wash any sheets or blankets today!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rufio posted:

I'm not sure what my endgame is here but I guess I've got an alarm set for midnight for the foreseeable future. All I know is that I don't need to wash any sheets or blankets today!

I have a kid who never grew out of bedwetting.

That strategy is called ‘lifting’ and it’s not particularly effective. If they’re going to grow out of it anyway it just seems like a lot of work on your part compared with sticking them back in pull-ups.

Docs won’t take it seriously before age 7 or so, because most kids will spontaneously get nighttime bladder control later than daytime. The interventions that work better are wetness alarms that clip on underwear so you can help them get used to waking up before peeing. Resolving any constipation can also help.

Lightweight fleece blanket and reusable incontinence bed pads (the big ones that are cloth with a waterproof backing) can make bed changes easier.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my daughter has recently developed the terrible habit of pulling her diaper halfway down her rear end at night, so almost every day i have to wash her crib sheet because she has either peed or pooped and it came out of her diaper. very annoying.

yesterday my son pooped in his pants (we are like a week and a half into underwear only so this isn't that big a deal) and then later got the rest of the poop out of his system in the potty. while he was sitting on the toilet he said "it is sooooo much better to poop in the potty" which is something we say to him all the time lol. great job buddy, you are right!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

lobster shirt posted:

my daughter has recently developed the terrible habit of pulling her diaper halfway down her rear end at night, so almost every day i have to wash her crib sheet because she has either peed or pooped and it came out of her diaper.

Time to put her in a onesie pajama?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Engineer Lenk posted:

If they’re going to grow out of it anyway it just seems like a lot of work on your part compared with sticking them back in pull-ups.
We kept our 5 year old in 5-6T pullups overnight until he outgrew them (they don't make them bigger, although I guess there's "overnights"), and then started to restrict his fluids after dinner and discovered he did have enough control to wake up and use the bathroom as needed.

We probably could've started night training sooner, I'm sure with more trial-and-error and stress involved, but with two younger sibling we had bigger issues than the cost of a box of pullups every two months.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Time to put her in a onesie pajama?

lol wow how did this not occur to me. that is a great idea.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What do you do when your kid (toddler) wants to learn about some wildlife like Orcas, or Bees? Do you have a goto YouTube channel or creator? A favorite book series?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me in third grade filling out a questionnaire in class: "what's my favorite color? That's a stupid question, I'll just put lime green since it's a stupid color for a stupid question"

My 3yo: what's your favorite color? Oh LIME GREEN?

The last three weeks: do you like < points at obscure thing > this < green thing > because it's GREEN?

Turns out there are a lot of green things on this earth, not of least every plant tree and leaf

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

lifg posted:

What do you do when your kid (toddler) wants to learn about some wildlife like Orcas, or Bees? Do you have a goto YouTube channel or creator? A favorite book series?

We go to the non-fiction kids' section of our library to find relevant books. National Geographic and DK usually have good ones.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

lifg posted:

The library for longer term interests like bugs and penguins, and TikTok for the ‘oh that’s a Venus flytrap, here let me show you’. I kinda hate exposing a young brain to TikTok, but there’s a ton of good videos and searching is fast and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What happened to making stuff up that sounds right but may not be entirely accurate