Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So apparently the new Marvel vs Capcom game looks like garbage and is dumbed down for a broader crowd. People are saying it might be a franchise killer.

My point in bringing this up being, why does it seem so hard for veteran gaming companies to reliably put out sequels to games they've made for decades at this point? Only Persona 5 escaped this while a lot of other franchises are straight up tanking in quality. I seriously thought FFXV was a franchise killer, but the weight of hype sold it.

For extra laughs the biggest complaints about new MvC are the facial designs and animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Capcom doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing anymore, for one

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm one of those people who thinks you can't dumb down fighting games since they're already meant for children. :iamafag:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I'm one of those people who thinks you can't dumb down fighting games since they're already meant for children. :iamafag:

I don't understand what you mean by this

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thundercracker posted:

My point in bringing this up being, why does it seem so hard for veteran gaming companies to reliably put out sequels to games they've made for decades at this point? Only Persona 5 escaped this while a lot of other franchises are straight up tanking in quality. I seriously thought FFXV was a franchise killer, but the weight of hype sold it.

Because the deciders are not gamers but shareholders who want to turn up a better profit. Welcome to capitalism, the greatest invention of mankind.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Thundercracker posted:

So apparently the new Marvel vs Capcom game looks like garbage and is dumbed down for a broader crowd. People are saying it might be a franchise killer.

For extra laughs the biggest complaints about new MvC are the facial designs and animation.

Well, the gaming companies probably have very little to do with it. The publishe or whoever probably shows up and says, hey, we need x, y or z. Like how EA mandated a bunch of stuff about ME3 because they wanted to grab the CoD crowd.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EA is definitely one of more corporate publishers, too. At least when a company like Ubisoft or Blizzard are on the stage floor you get the impression that the dudes presenting actually enjoy video games and grew up playing them, rather than using marketing buzzwords like "deliverables" or whatever Elon Musk lite drone they put up there.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Oh, yeah, Ubisoft is totally against the idea of bringing other IP's tech into a game. :rolleyes:

Don't let a freaking PR event fool you. They are the same.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Moola posted:

game bad

So what

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Furism posted:

Oh, yeah, Ubisoft is totally against the idea of bringing other IP's tech into a game. :rolleyes:

But this time it's different

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Capcom was chasing that free-to-play/Moba money with Street Fighter 5 by making it simpler and easier, introducing a pseudo-f2p model, and trying to slot it into that same sort of place in esports. If they're taking the same approach with the new Marvel, and it looks like they are, that's part of why. Fighting games are traditionally extremely difficult and punishing and take dozens of hours to learn to competence, so that limits your audience by default if you want to be an F2P game or get the big esports money. Hence, simplification.

halloweenjack
Aug 4, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Obviously she has the raw power to do it but I figured putting the angry sociopath in a position dedicated to protection was not gonna end well.

But the finishing move for the long walk is Shockwave. Which team member has that power, again?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Android Blues posted:

Capcom was chasing that free-to-play/Moba money with Street Fighter 5 by making it simpler and easier, introducing a pseudo-f2p model, and trying to slot it into that same sort of place in esports. If they're taking the same approach with the new Marvel, and it looks like they are, that's part of why. Fighting games are traditionally extremely difficult and punishing and take dozens of hours to learn to competence, so that limits your audience by default if you want to be an F2P game or get the big esports money. Hence, simplification.

Capcom drove out their creative talent in the late 00's and they've been suffering for it ever since. Frankly Resident Evil VII being fantastic is a real outlier for them at this point.

halloweenjack
Aug 4, 2015

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i think miranda even offers herself for the job and i was like, youre genetically engineered u probably got this.

goodbye tali

Ditto for Jacob volunteering for vent duty. Jacob and Miranda are the highly-trained and capable terrorist secret agents, and they volunteer for jobs that will end up getting people killed. In conclusion, thanks a loving lot TIM, gently caress you and your terrorist organization.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

halloweenjack posted:

Ditto for Jacob volunteering for vent duty. Jacob and Miranda are the highly-trained and capable terrorist secret agents, and they volunteer for jobs that will end up getting people killed. In conclusion, thanks a loving lot TIM, gently caress you and your terrorist organization.

In fairness Jacob volunteers because its "practical a suicide mission" and Miranda immediately says its a terrible idea, and in defense of any failing Biotic Shield person, the squadmember who dies is clearly not paying attention and is way further away from the group than they have any business being

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Furism posted:

Blizzard is different because they have 10 years of WoW money.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Frankly Resident Evil VII being fantastic is a real outlier for them at this point.

it probably helps that it followed re5, which at best was a pyrrhic victory for the franchise, and re6 which at best had a creamy nougat centre of sound core gameplay wrapped up 7 layers deep in turd

up was pretty much the only direction left to go in

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thread's convinced me to do a Failson run of ME2 now. Minimum missions maximum deaths. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RBA Starblade posted:

The thread's convinced me to do a Failson run of ME2 now. Minimum missions maximum deaths. :v:

Remember to keep Tali alive though, her death scene in ME3 is the craziest in the entire series.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Furism posted:

Because the deciders are not gamers but shareholders who want to turn up a better profit. Welcome to capitalism, the greatest invention of mankind.

Of all the crimes of big business, selling out shallow nerd kitsch (faster than its 'owners' who were doing the same thing) is not one of them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i think miranda even offers herself for the job and i was like, youre genetically engineered u probably got this.

goodbye tali

Miranda was always overcompensating. Just look at dat rear end.

halloweenjack
Aug 4, 2015

Ekusukariba posted:

the squadmember who dies is clearly not paying attention and is way further away from the group than they have any business being

But in the case of Garrus, that is categorically impossible.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

halloweenjack posted:

But the finishing move for the long walk is Shockwave. Which team member has that power, again?

The team member who can't cast it if she's holding together the biotic bubble?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Final verdict: despite a slow start and a cumbersome interface, The Witcher 1 despite a slow start, and rough gameplay was still better than Andromeda… not too flattering for a game that came out ten years later!

Probably won't post more about it, but I'm expecting 2 and 3 to be improvements so I'll bet Andromeda still comes up short.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know if The Witcher is a better game than Mass Effect: Andromeda, but its dialog is written better.

Watch out because combat and alchemy change a lot for each game.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know if The Witcher is a better game than Mass Effect: Andromeda, but its dialog is written better.

Watch out because combat and alchemy change a lot for each game.

The Witcher, also notable for the fact that it was a bit of a turd when first released but CDPR dug deep and a year later released the massively updated Enhanced Edition, which added new NPC models, massively worked over script, and hundreds of new animations. Pretty much the exact amount of work ME:A needs but won't get in order to attain a mediocre level of goodness.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

I was waiting for rachni to boil up out of the ground and drag a Reaper into the depths and it never happened :(

you did get to watch a thresher maw do this tho :v:

Android Blues posted:

I think it's a good conclusion for Jack's ME2 arc if you were friends with her during the game that she can successfully devote her biotic powers to protecting others.

true but it's still weird that they gave her an abysmal hold the line score even when loyal because 'she's too unstable' even tho she can singlehandledly wreck a maximum security prison unarmed, so in theory she should be a combat beast who ought to be able to obliterate hoards of collectors alongside zaeed, grunt and garrus

Thundercracker posted:

i guess in me:a's case most of the original team left the franchise to do something else, which is a perfectly fine professional choice, so the dlc b-team was up-jumped before they were ready so at least someone could keep milking this cow - a better hand-off could have been planned but i respect that the originators wanted to do something fresh instead pumping out sequels to a closed story forever

i imagine similar team changes can gradually happen to decades-old franchises when old directors & staff retire or leave for other projects, and that sometime puts things in new hands with weird directions

Android Blues posted:

that makes a lot of sense too actually

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Strategic Tea posted:

Of all the crimes of big business, selling out shallow nerd kitsch (faster than its 'owners' who were doing the same thing) is not one of them.

Sure it is, it's just waaaay down the list.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Did they say what engine Anthem is on? Or is Bioware loving themselves in the rear end with Frostbite again?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thor-Stryker posted:

Did they say what engine Anthem is on? Or is Bioware loving themselves in the rear end with Frostbite again?

All EA games are made with the Frostbite engine now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

:thumbsup:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's Frostbite, but Anthem looks exactly like the sort of game that engine was built for (a lovely Destiny ripoff).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also Bioware already created most if not all of the tech they need for RPG's and their Animation rigging on Frostbite by struggling through DA:I and Andromeda.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Also Bioware already created most if not all of the tech they need for RPG's and their Animation rigging on Frostbite by struggling through DA:I and Andromeda.

Guaranteed success then! Preorder away folks!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Never preorder games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Never preorder games.

Sounds like you're doubting the good deeds of EA and Bioware my friend.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

ofcourse its frostbite, how else would they create a beautiful corporate ecosystem where assets can easily be shared on demand so some day they can really have that magic 1 year rpg game dev cycle like they tried before with DA 2

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

lalaland posted:

ofcourse its frostbite, how else would they create a beautiful corporate ecosystem where assets can easily be shared on demand so some day they can really have that magic 1 year rpg game dev cycle like they tried before with DA 2

Besides the absence of modding, why is Frostbite bad?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Furism posted:

Besides the absence of modding, why is Frostbite bad?
For shooters like Battlefield it isn't. But it has some limitations that come into play when you try to build an RPG on it.
It's why the 'city' in DA:I is a barely populated broom closet, and why the doors on Kadara takes half a minute to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

Frostbite is actually good and it is bioware that is bad