Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The system works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Kwee Wee has a five star match

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

hello my name is mave deltzer and i will give any match you want five stars. please name a match.

Sachiko vs Soyo Bang Dream My Go

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Endorph posted:

hello my name is mave deltzer and i will give any match you want five stars. please name a match.

Donald Trump vs Rosie O'Donnell

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Cheex vs whoever that other guy was

Frank Parker, of NWA Mountain State fame

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Endorph posted:

Can you imagine Dave on cameo? Your 2 minute Happy Birthday video for your dad devolves into a 2 hour and 3 minute tangent on what every territory was doing the day he was born.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Angle also had some bangers with Austin, which is particularly impressive given that Austin was in bits by then. Love Kurt Angle, crazy wrestling machine who also had legit great comic timing.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Can you imagine Dave on cameo? Your 2 minute Happy Birthday video for your dad devolves into a 2 hour and 3 minute tangent on what every territory was doing the day he was born.

Finally, a cameo that’s worth the price!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Also Kurt Angle was an amazing wrestler with lots of great matches anyone who disagrees is dumb and wrong and should feel bad

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

kurt angle was only good in ecw

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Sandman from ECW posted:

Also Kurt Angle was an amazing wrestler with lots of great matches anyone who disagrees is dumb and wrong and should feel bad

hmmmm maybe.... hes all..ways been bad!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

I ordered a Cameo from Jim Mora Sr. the other year asking him to analyze the college football playoffs. He did the "PLAYAWWFS?" thing in the first 10 seconds and then spent 10 more minutes actually legitimately analyzing the games

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

D.N. Nation posted:

I ordered a Cameo from Jim Mora Sr. the other year asking him to analyze the college football playoffs. He did the "PLAYAWWFS?" thing in the first 10 seconds and then spent 10 more minutes actually legitimately analyzing the games

Did he pick the winner and the eventual champion?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Did he pick the winner and the eventual champion?

incorrectly (had Bama over UGA)

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Meltzer has Codyflation cause he named his kid after him and he thought that HIAC match was 5 stars when it was like 4.25/4.5. Cody's only great match was against Dustin imo

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

UnleashedDad posted:

Meltzer has Codyflation cause he named his kid after him and he thought that HIAC match was 5 stars when it was like 4.25/4.5. Cody's only great match was against Dustin imo

:hai:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

UnleashedDad posted:

The ladder match against Sammy and the first two Seth matches are pretty great.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MJeff posted:

The ladder match against Sammy and the first two Seth matches are pretty great.

I really liked his title match against Jericho, in part because I was there live but they did a really good job establishing stakes for it. Cody's a good wrestler who can be great, he's just also a total dingus.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

UnleashedDad posted:

I disagree that HIAC match was worth 5 stars.

Cody’s a giant idiot for wrestling with that injury but it’s a terrific match.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I feel like if you're complaining about star inflation and follow it up with '4.5 stars is not a great match' your scale is more likely the problem instead of Dave's.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've grown to appreciate the term "Notebook Match" as something that applies a bit of sanity to the process.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

D.N. Nation posted:

That owns

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

I've grown to appreciate the term "Notebook Match" as something that applies a bit of sanity to the process.

What does that mean exactly? Never heard the term

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Shard posted:

What does that mean exactly? Never heard the term

The VoW Flagship guys write about their favorite matches in a notebook.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

mooseinfants posted:

The VoW Flagship guys write about their favorite matches in a notebook.

that makes sense. i very rarely will 1 to 1 compare matches in my mind like "oh well this is technically better, on a 10 point scale id say-" and its more like a pass/fail "that kicked rear end"/"that sucked" kinda thing and if it especially kicked rear end or especially sucked sometimes ill think about it unprompted

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anything you rate 4 stars or above is a "Notebook Match" because you put it in your personal notebook of all of the matches you decided were worthy of going in your notebook. Ostensibly, I believe it's so you have a record to go back through at the end of the year to figure out a MotY ballot, I just appreciate the term because it serves as a reminder than a 4 star match is still a great match that deserves to be remembered all year. It puts people thinking a 4.5 or 4.75 star match is some kind of insult into the properly insane context it deserves.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

yeah of the Cody matches in the WWE I probably won't ever go back and rewatch the 5-star ones (HIAC Passion of the Cody, vs. AJ) but I'll probably rewatch the Roman rematch annually around Mania season, even though it's only ****3/4

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cody’s last match against Brock was a masterpiece and when he goes against Gunther and hopefully loses, it’ll be 6 stars

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Cody-Brock trilogy is a great example of how much lower the standards are for everything in WWE, because if those matches happened in New Japan or AEW, all three of them would have been ripped apart for making no loving sense at all.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Wish Dave gave the unadjusted star rating for wwe matches along with the grading curved score

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

MJeff posted:

The Cody-Brock trilogy is a great example of how much lower the standards are for everything in WWE, because if those matches happened in New Japan or AEW, all three of them would have been ripped apart for making no loving sense at all.

When you train people to expect nothing, even mediocrity seems great, this is my biography on Cody Rhodes: The Lesser Rhodes Child.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It’s like how Kevin Dunn left and now the wrestling Reddit goes “THIS. IS. CINEMA.” anytime they see a crane cam or steadicam shot

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Sigma posted:

It’s like how Kevin Dunn left and now the wrestling Reddit goes “THIS. IS. CINEMA.” anytime they see a crane cam or steadicam shot

May I kindly direct you to my previous post

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Kurt had a cool match with Undertaker one time and it probably started that that 2005-2010ish period that made everyone think Undertaker was a great wrestler. I think Taker tapped to the ankle lock which was neat.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Kurt had a cool match with Undertaker one time and it probably started that that 2005-2010ish period that made everyone think Undertaker was a great wrestler. I think Taker tapped to the ankle lock which was neat.

No Way Out 2006. It was a cool match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It did mark the start on the emphasis on Undertaker as some sort of MMA enthusiast, debuting the triangle choke as a counter in their next match or thereabouts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

May I kindly direct you to my previous post

Hey now, I wouldn't call your posts mediocre.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Kurt Angle gave us the cum truck and that by itself is worth more than any ***** match.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
And it STUNK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Breetai posted:

Kurt Angle gave us the cum truck and that by itself is worth more than any ***** match.

I was just being tongue-in-cheek with my Angle post but this is facts actually