Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Voyager I posted:

The Cronus's Large Laser looks like it might be on a flippy arm, so backshots may not be guaranteed safety.

I thought that a mech had to be missing the actuators on both arms to do the arm-flippy thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nope, just all the actuators on the arm in question.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steel Will: Tactical Update 23

Combat Phase
Impact Point Zero
2) Griffin
- Fires ER PPC at Cronus (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (10/20 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Cronus (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Cronus (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 22!

Cronus
- Reverses right arm!
- Fires Large Laser at Griffin (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (0/18 armor, 5/9 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 0 weapon heat!

Yantai Reservation
Caesar
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Cicada (5 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods -2 Pulse Laser = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (5 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (5 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Cicada (5 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Cicada (5 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 28!

Cicada
- Fires Medium Laser at Caesar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (16/21 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Caesar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (16/21 armor remains)!
- Gains 6 weapon heat!

Rampage
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
2) Griffin
- Critical chance in Right Arm! No critical hits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
Caesar
- Kicks Cicada (5 base + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods - 2 kick = 11): rolled 7, miss!

Cicada
- Kicks Caesar (5 base + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 kick = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (13/21 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Caesar
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 0 missed kick = 5): rolled 9, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 0 kicked = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

“That’ll teach you to be overly chivalrous,” Fynn crowed as his PPC caught the back of the Cronus’s heavily-armored leg. He’d been aiming for the knee, but molten armor running from a good hit to the upper thigh could damage a machine’s mobility. Unfortunately, Fynn wasn’t that lucky—or maybe his Death-From-Above had simply used up whatever store of good fortune Lady Luck had saved for all those poker games he’d thrown to make the officers feel good about themselves.

Well, to hell with Luck then. He was in no mood to play nice with war criminals, and as bad as the Capellans were at least they fought like civilized people—not with nuclear bombardments and mass-murder.

Cy watched the Cicada as it once again leapt away. It was frustrating, having an enemy so close and seemingly vulnerable and still being unable to land a solid hit. He wanted to chase it down, to saw its legs off with his Large Pulse Laser, or even just trip the damned thing just to claim some minor victory. Unfortunately, sticking around had just gone from dangerous to nearly suicidal—his `Mech’s sensors had picked up the bigger enemy `Mech, and while he could probably manage to stay out of its line of sight—barely—he couldn’t do so if he wanted to chase after that Cicada. As much as it irritated him, he’d probably have to let it go.

Well, revenge could wait a day or two. He just had to keep himself alive—and stop his father’s officers from taking the Caesar away from him—but he’d pay back his father’s killers. Ten-fold.

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Destroy the Capellan Survivors (success)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Secondary Objectives:
- Rescue Capellan Survivors (failed)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (failed)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Survive (failed)
- Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party (failed)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Secondary Objectives:
- Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (failed)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Retreat?
- Defeat Taurian Forces (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (failed)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (failed)

Point Zero Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cronus – Walked +1

Yantai Reservation Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cicada – Jumped +3
- Rampage – Ran +2

Player Status:

Enemy Status:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Anyone know for sure whether the Cronus was actually being chivalrous last round, or if it was unable to fire?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I do!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, the Griffin came the loser of that exchange, I think. I dunno, the Cronus looks to be in the better position at the moment, what with the big gun of the Griffin vulnerable. Not sure of the armor status of the Cronus, but it looks to be in better position, whatever armor it has.

As for Yantai, the Caesar almost has a clear path to bug out, but it still can't hit anything at all and the Cicada is still nipping at its heels, bound to be a problem as it attempts to get out. The Rampage hasn't done much yet, but it looks to be in range soon, so I agree with the fluff post, the Caesar can't afford to chase after the Cicada to avenge his father and open himself up to massive retaliation. Continue bugging out, shouldn't take much more than 2 turns to do so, from what I can tell of the map. Shouldn't take too bad of damage while doing so, and since he continues to be unable to hit anything while moving, it looks like the Cicada will survive this encounter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:allears:

(Ahem.)

Also, did you remember to roll the crit on the Griffin's arm? No skin off my back if you forgot and want to let it slide--at which point we can count that as Lady Luck tossing him another bone.

EDIT: Oh hey so there is.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crit's on there, but nothing came of it so it's easy to miss.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Don't know if it's my terminal again, but the SRM ammo counter on the unit table is still at 12.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 23, 2013

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Oh my god I can't believe this is still going.

I've started running the Total Chaos campaign for my group, decided to check in on this since it's my favorite place to discuss the setting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup, still going. Barring catastrophe there should be another update tonight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steel Will: Tactical Update 24

Combat Phase
Impact Point Zero
Griffin
- Fires ER PPC at Cronus (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (0/28 armor, 9/18 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires SRM-6 at Cronus (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 2 missiles hit Left Leg (8/20 armor remains), Right Torso (12/21 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Cronus (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 22!

Cronus
- Fires Large Laser at Griffin (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (0/13 structure remains)! Torso Destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (23/27 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-4 at Griffin (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Griffin (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Griffin (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 17 weapon heat!

Yantai Reservation
Caesar
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Cicada (5 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement -2 Pulse Laser = 14): automatic miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (5 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 16): automatic miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (5 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 16): automatic miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 28!

Cicada
- Fires ER PPC at Caesar (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 15 weapon heat!

Rampage
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Caesar (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Caesar (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 7, miss!

End Phase:
Cronus
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Caesar
- Retreats off the top map edge!

The barrel of Fynn’s PPC shimmered as it swung in line with the Cronus—and then past as it finished its almost slow-motion tumble to the hard-packed earth. A hardscrabble shrub burst into flames as it hit, and the Griffin’s battered right arm snapped at the elbow. The Cronus stood, its manlike left hand clutching at the gaping wound in its chest. It twisted back and forth, trying to make the wound a difficult target. Not that it mattered, the bastard’s last shot had completely disarmed him.

“Give up?” A voice tainted with the twang of an under-educated periphery settler boomed from the Cronus’s external speakers. “Y’all have had about all you can take. You don’t need to go out like this.”

Fynn could do nothing but let out a muttered string of invectives, and if curses were medium lasers he’d have had enough to wipe out a `Mech regiment. Disarmed, Fynn did the only thing he could: he made the most obscene gesture he could manage with only one hand.

The Cronus approximated a shrug, then simply waved.

“I have you!” Cy breathed as the Cicada leapt to the hilltop precisely where he’d predicted. It made good tactical sense—take the high ground and it’d be able to snipe at the retreating Caeser with impunity—and taking adequate cover would’ve put Cy in range of the charging Rampage. Well, as far as the young Mechwarrior was concerned, caution was for pilots who couldn’t plan ahead—and the Cicada was right in his sights.

His fingers tensed on the trigger, savoring the moment he finally scored a hit on the slippery enemy `Mech—but it was no longer in his sights! The little `Mech flexed its legs heavily the moment it touched down, ducking effortlessly beneath Cy’s lasers. He hadn’t waited to establish a hard lock, and his computer hadn’t tracked the target’s otherwise trivial motion.

“Oh, holy sh—” Cy jumped as the silvery streak of the Rampage’s Gauss Rifle passed less than a meter over the Caesar’s head. The hypersonic boom of the shot’s passage was enough to make his fillings hurt. “Yeah,” he mumbled, kicking his jets into a full burn and launching himself in the direction the other New Syrtis Mechwarriors had retreated. “Yeah, I’m done here.”

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (success)
- Destroy the Capellan Survivors (success)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Secondary Objectives:
- Rescue Capellan Survivors (failed)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Survive (failed)
- Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party (failed)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Secondary Objectives:
- Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (failed)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Retreat (success!)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (failed)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (failed)

Point Zero Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cronus – Walked +1

Yantai Reservation Enemy Movement Mods:

Player Status:

Enemy Status:

End Turn Notes:
The Caeser successfully retreats on Turn 25, and Ferrosol’s having some personal issues at the moment. It’s up to him, but the Cronus can’t kill the Griffin before the Griffin can retreat (and can keep the Griffin from getting into DFA range just by jumping its full distance every turn), so I’m willing to call that match as well if Ferrosol just wants to retreat. He could also chose to fight it out, it’s entirely up to him and I don’t want to influence his decision either way! Ferrosol accepted the partial victory on Point Zero!

Yantai Reservation AAR
Hoo boy, I knew that Cicada would be a problem. It had range, mobility, and firepower and in hindsight I probably should’ve vetoed it. I don’t feel that bad though, since it was also the only really solid performer the Taurians had. We’ll see what interesting things they pull out if you guys vote for Round 2. The players did a good job this time around, in spite of some missed orders and my forgetting to telling them that it’s perfectly safe to walk or run in mud (you just don’t want to jump into it :doh: ). This has been a grueling match, and I’m not surprised there’s been some trouble.

Point Zero AAR:
Oh man, so many ways this mission could've gone! It would've been pretty straightforward with no betrayals, but the extra tension of not knowing whether the players could actually trust their "allies" was a lot of fun. I probably should've just withdrawn with the Taurians once the actual PVP dustup started; but this worked a lot better than my last PVP experiment so we may see other missions where this may happen again.

As a reminder to future players: you can always send orders in before the deadline! If I get everyone’s orders early, I’ll probably be able to update early and the mission will move much faster!
I still can’t believe this mission lasted four months.

Edit: How are people liking the new maps? They take only marginally more effort to set up, and once I've done so they're just as easy as the simpler methods I was using earlier. Next time, I will probably add some Not-a-Mechwarrior-Online-Joke 'Ghost `Mechs' to the enemy roster so it's easier to see where they were when the players were firing at them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 30, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like the new maps, personally. Just a tiny bit easier to parse what's going on.

As for the last turn's events, correct me if I'm wrong but has the Griffin lost its PPC? That's going to make eking out a win tricky, unless he rolls lucky with those SRMs and a few center-torso crits.

Edit: Yeah, that's exactly what happened. Okay, well, I say fight it out! Never give up! You can somehow still catch the bastard!

GeorgeLedoux
Aug 1, 2012

Yet again, any person foolish to face the Merc Man goes down in flames. He's the real deal, and he's just as good in the arena as he is in the field. He's even got his own fan club I hear.
PTN... how you manage to run this "Let's Play Battletech" game/thread, run your own personal, real-life, conflict scenarios and still have time to write an entertaining short story for an aging voice actor to read is beyond my understanding.

But by God, I'm glad you can.

Thanks for being cool.

This is Duncan "has-been" Fisher... signing off!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

GeorgeLedoux posted:

PTN... how you manage to run this "Let's Play Battletech" game/thread, run your own personal, real-life, conflict scenarios and still have time to write an entertaining short story for an aging voice actor to read is beyond my understanding.

But by God, I'm glad you can.

Thanks for being cool.

Seriously, every time you post I get flash backs to MW4: Mercenaries and Solaris, and I get a little giddy.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Not going to lie, I kind of stopped following this mission after a while, and even though I like taking the fight to the Taurians, I'm glad to see this one's just about done.

Friar John fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 30, 2013

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I agree. I'm ready for something new!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I haven't done any math, but I suppose the griffin still has a fighting chance with just a single SRM6, since it only needs to hit the taurian's CT five times to win. Would be boring to watch that manually though, so it might be best to handle that like the end of that Solaris fight. Just roll a bunch of combat rolls and maybe add arbitrary movement modifiers to them to simulate movement.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You're driving a scrap pile at that point, might as well try to get out before you lose your life too.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'd say retreat and save what's left of the mech. No need to be a hero, some things aren't worth dying for.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, it's time to go, I think. That would be my advice.

And for drat sure that pilot is gonna get his revenge soon.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I don't think that SRM launcher has any ammo left after it lost its right torso?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 30, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Readingaccount posted:

I don't think that SRM launcher has any ammo left after it lost its right torso?

That is correct. All the ammo was in the RT.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I do believe it's time to stick a fork in this one. Still, pulling out a spectacular 1v2 win against the Capellans and surviving? That's a hell of a victory there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
There are precisely two options here. Option one is retreat. You have no ranged weapons left, and the only ways you can deal damage are non-DFA melee attacks.

Option two?

Charge! :black101:

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yantai Reservation AAR
Hoo boy, I knew that Cicada would be a problem. It had range, mobility, and firepower and in hindsight I probably should’ve vetoed it. I don’t feel that bad though, since it was also the only really solid performer the Taurians had. We’ll see what interesting things they pull out if you guys vote for Round 2. The players did a good job this time around, in spite of some missed orders and my forgetting to telling them that it’s perfectly safe to walk or run in mud (you just don’t want to jump into it :doh: ). This has been a grueling match, and I’m not surprised there’s been some trouble.

I still can’t believe this mission lasted four months.

Watchman checking in.

I had fun on this map although I played it safe a couple of times when I probably should have risked a bit more aggression, e.g. on Turn 6 when I was contemplating simply backing up behind the Plainsman and unloading on its paper-thin rear armour, but was afraid of giving the Quasit ridiculously easy numbers to hit me. Kudos to Tiny for playing to the max and winning glory as the Firebee. In the end I didn't deal too much damage but am proud I was able to rescue Anne. Embarrassed about missing a turn although my belated orders were to jump up and tag-team the Toro, which ended up being unnecessary because Tiny took it out.

I think one of the main reasons the Yantai mission ran for so many turns is that (almost) everyone had a light-medium, jumpy-fast 'Mech and an average pilot, meaning big to-hit numbers and not very much damage being dished out. The Cicada was the worst offender - I don't believe we landed a single point of damage on it all game.

Our team had no idea that scanning the bunker could give us another 'Mech. Maybe we weren't paying enough attention to the fluff. If we had realized, I'm sure we'd have turtled at the base. Early on it seemed like turtling for several turns would just be boring for the thread, which is why we moved forward to engage.

I can't remember whether it's been traditional to open up the google doc as a post-mortem - I would be fine doing this, if everyone else doesn't mind.

Thanks again to PTN for running a thoroughly entertaining game and putting in so much effort for our collective amusement, and thanks to my Yantai teammates.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
When I played in a long-running campaign, years ago now, the GMs dialed down piloting skills to the point where 2/3 was average and 3/4 was green. It affects balance, sure (though not always in bad ways - clan pulse lasers become less ridiculously overpowered when you've got 0 gunnery and are shooting at an Assault 'mech), but it made things move much, much faster than with the book 4/5 standard.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks.
So, the options that can deal damage are punching with one arm or charging uphill. Are there penalties for either of these?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 30, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

So, the options that can deal damage are punching with one arm or charging uphill. Are there penalties for either of these?

Well, punching with one arm does 10% of your 'mech's weight in damage. So it's basically a medium laser, in this case.

That's really not worth dying for. Running is definitely the best option here. Or rather, strutting off like a goddamned hero, albeit at a rapid pace.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks, yeah, that's pretty worthless, especially compared to charging.
Charging looks pretty decent though, as a high-risk strategy it'd cause 27 damage if successful. If two of the five main clusters then hit the CT the Cronus goes down.

Or the Griffin could rush to extract the cockpit of his comrade, or even ask for a truce to do so.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

Thanks, yeah, that's pretty worthless, especially compared to charging.

You can't charge up a hill.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't charge up a hill.

I'd forgotten about that. Makes sense, though. That pretty much settles it, there's no reason to stick around and die then.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

I'd forgotten about that. Makes sense, though. That pretty much settles it, there's no reason to stick around and die then.

There's always negotiating picking up your buddy.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks, keep forgetting that.

Mao suffered only from a +3 whiplash last time we saw here.
I think I read somewhere in this thread that a pilot who can't eject from a mech that loses its CT suffers two automatic pilot hits from the fall. But even if that's true Reliance Mao will only be injured at +7 at the worst.

It'll be at least two extra rounds of getting shot at if Mr. Joe Bob doesn't agree, for a total of four rounds, might easily be worse than it looks with those damaged legs and rear armor arcs if opting for a run, but probably survivable.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 30, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Rescue your fallen buddy, get the hell out of dodge, and laugh as the rear end in a top hat Caps get what is coming to them.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, the Griffin has just lost its big gun, plus all the ammo for the one weapon it had left after that with the loss of the Right Torso, so I figure it's time for him to get out of dodge, stopping to pick up the cockpit of Weber's fallen lancemate first, of course. No point in losing your life along with your mech, especially after all of your weapons have been shot off and the enemy is letting you leave. I guess if he doesn't really make any threatening moves, he could pick Mao up and leave, not getting shot by the Cronus' surprisingly honorable and obliging pilot, who is willing to let him walk away after all of this. Still, loved the exchange that you wrote in the fluff, PTN.

As for Yantai, it's all over as we figured it would be, with the Cicada dodging like crazy and the terrible stats of the Caesar pilot making it so that the latter could never hit the former. And the fact that the Rampage was moving up and threatening made this all moot.

To PTN's question about the new maps, I like them. They worked well when I was playing last mission, and they worked pretty well here.

This mission has been going on for what seems to a pretty long time, but I didn't know it was four months long... Guess the combination of fast mechs with only a couple of big guns and average pilots led to neither side really accomplishing much when trying to shoot at each other. Maybe some foul-ups in communications helped too. Still liked this mission, even if it did feel like it was dragging on for longer than it needed to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GeorgeLedoux posted:

It's not always easy, but it's usually exciting!

For those of you not 'in the know,' I've been working on a short story centered around Duncan Fisher for Mr. Ledoux. As of the current time, I don't have any intention of distributing it. With George's permission I may submit it to BattleCorps eventually, but I want to give him a chance to do his thing first. George, if you do decide to do a reading, I hope you'll be willing to post an excerpt or two in the thread!

Anyway, in other LPBT news: Ferrosol has decided to accept the partial victory at Point Zero, so there'll be a new political vote soon!

Point Zero AAR:
Oh man, so many ways this mission could've gone! It would've been pretty straightforward with no betrayals, but the extra tension of not knowing whether the players could actually trust their "allies" was a lot of fun. I probably should've just withdrawn with the Taurians once the actual PVP dustup started; but this worked a lot better than my last PVP experiment so we may see other missions where this may happen again.

Now that the mission is over completely, it's time for the usual votes for:

Point Zero Player MVP:
Yantai Reservation Player MVP:
and
Opforce MVP: (one choice, from either map)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 30, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yanti Reservation OpForce MVP: That loving Cicada. I don't even remember how many times I failed to hit that son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: How are people liking the new maps? They take only marginally more effort to set up, and once I've done so they're just as easy as the simpler methods I was using earlier. Next time, I will probably add some Not-a-Mechwarrior-Online-Joke 'Ghost `Mechs' to the enemy roster so it's easier to see where they were when the players were firing at them.

I prefer the new maps to the old ones. Showing where the mechs started before movement would also be helpful.

Point Zero Player MVP: no opinion
Yantai Reservation Player MVP: Firebee
Opforce MVP: Cicada

• Locked thread