Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

NTRabbit posted:

Shaun Marsh makes 17 and 52 as WA loses despite declaring at 514 in the first innings, Jake Weatherald scores a run a ball 152 and a more constructed 143, with both opening, but Marsh is the one getting a recall

Yeah i just edited my post about how ridiculous selecting shaun marsh is and mentioned weatherald as a guy in much better form. He scored 70 against the Australian pace attack in round 1 and is a young guy.

Heck if they want a failed test batsman doolan is in better form than marsh.

Also im not sure if maxwell deserves to be dropped either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I won't believe the Marsh selection until I hear it with my own ears. It just seems too preposterous to be true

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Go England.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Someone on reddit said its the 8th time he has been recalled into the australian side. That sounds about right to me

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Shaun Marsh makes 17 and 52 as WA loses despite declaring at 514 in the first innings, Jake Weatherald scores a run a ball 152 and a more constructed 143, with both opening, but Marsh is the one getting a recall

That’s on the field mate, who cares? I’m more interested in how they are hitting them in the nets

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

EMC posted:

That’s on the field mate, who cares? I’m more interested in how they are hitting them in the nets

Coming right out the middle mate

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

biglads posted:

Coming right out the middle mate

Middle of his pads, right below the knee roll.

I must say, it's unusually sporting for the Aussies to give England a chance like this.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Its a sign the selectors as per normal have no idea and just go back to the old standards. Honestly if bancroft wasnt smashing the runs it would have probably been shaun opening and mitch at 6.

I dont know what is more outrageous marsh or paine. He must have been impressive as heck in the tour match. Didnt cricket Australia instruct tasmania to play wade as keeper so he could have a good crack at finding some form ? So now we have the frankly confusing situation where paine has barely been keeping. In fact Paine played shield cricket this round as just a batsman with wade keeping for tasmania

This also explains why the tigers batted so long in the shield and basically gave themselves no chance of winning outright. They batted on just so paine could score runs lol.

For the record Paine is a tidy keeper and is better than wade but his batting has been poor at best due to being extremely injury prone. He was almost a different player pre and post that hand injury with the bat.

But he seems like a nice enough lad and is one of the better keepers in the country. I dont think he will let us down there. It just shows how idiotic cricket australia is. They literally robbed paine of keeping time for wade

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ferguson already had a go in that disastrous test against SA. same with mennie. they're both good players but unless your name is marsh if you have a bad game on debut you're likely to be one and done, especially if you were a hail-mary pick to begin with

no idea what renshaw did to get dropped. sure he didnt light the world on fire but he seemed to be a sturdy enough opener

Seams fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 16, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tarbrush posted:

Middle of his pads, right below the knee roll.

I must say, it's unusually sporting for the Aussies to give England a chance like this.

Similarly off the wall selections happened at this point 7 years ago

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Burn Down Canberra posted:

For the record Paine is a tidy keeper and is better than wade but his batting has been poor at best due to being extremely injury prone. He was almost a different player pre and post that hand injury with the bat.

Darren Lehmann has a more recent first class century than Tim Paine

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Seams posted:

no idea what renshaw did to get dropped. sure he didnt light the world on fire but he seemed to be a sturdy enough opener

He's seriously out of form. 45, 5, 4, 22 against the Bangers and has since followed it up with 17, 16, 1, 19, 16, 1 in the shield.
It's tough but it's not like "woah that's unfair". He's shown enough technically that he should be back, but at the moment he doesn't look worth his spot and if he fails in the Ashes the media fallout could wreck him for 5 years.

racing identity posted:

I won't believe the Marsh selection until I hear it with my own ears. It just seems too preposterous to be true

I won't believe he's not listed as 12th man until I see the batting list for Brisbane.

Shmoses posted:

Darren Lehmann has a more recent first class century than Tim Paine

Paine's one of the better keepers in the nation and he's probably super vocal too. If they're picking "the best keeper" rather than "the guy who's gonna have to make up for the fact Gillies not here any more" then I can sort of get it.
The whole "make Tasmania play Wade" thing makes it all murky as gently caress though.

I hope Paine gets a chance and I hope he makes it a successful one, but I don't think he honestly deserves it at this stage of his career which is, lets be fair here, is a lot closer to the twilight than the dawn.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 16, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't want to risk him breaking his fingers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Dont really mind Paine as keeper TBH. He'll do his job well. The fact Shaun loving Marsh is back blows my brain - why???

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

India have a tour of South Africa and England over the next year or so coming up. The test last night on a green kolkata pitch suggests that they might struggle. Especially in england if the poms give them a tough pitch. Lakmal took 3 wickets for no runs in the 6 overs he bowled before rain took them off the field. Lakmal is an ok bowler i guess but he aint the english bowlers on a green top. He set kohli up with the old take two balls away and bring one in trick.

https://streamable.com/6iotv

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 17, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lakmal is an ok bowler i guess but he aint the english bowlers on a green top. He set kohli up with the old take two balls away and bring one in trick.

I'm honestly surprised the umpires didn't force him to stop bowling, if he's using dastardly tactics like that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That looked like he was bowling a good line.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I didn't realise the first test was so soon. Just one week until Woaksey sends them home in an ambulance.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I have sent my detailed feedback to Cricket Australia regarding the Ashes squad, I will let you know when they address my issues

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Bancroft was a logical choice, good to see Sayers in the squad too.

Paine's an odd one. If you wanted to pick a good keeper, what's wrong with Nevill? If they're both equally meh with the bat, at least Nevill has recent international experience.

also

EMC posted:

I have sent my detailed feedback to Cricket Australia regarding the Ashes squad, I will let you know when they address my issues

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Someone needs to edit :itwaspoo: into it was shaun marsh

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The meltdowns on Facebook are always worth it whenever Marsh gets picked :munch:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I hope at least that Starc is batting ahead of Paine

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Coucho Marx posted:

Bancroft was a logical choice, good to see Sayers in the squad too.

Paine's an odd one. If you wanted to pick a good keeper, what's wrong with Nevill? If they're both equally meh with the bat, at least Nevill has recent international experience.

also

Ever since Gilchrist they just can't accept having a grafter as a keeper/batsman

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The future captain of the Australian cricket team and some kid who bowls spin and has one of the worst techniques known to modern cricket.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I feel bad for Renshaw. He’s had a bad run in the shield but I reckon he’d have knuckled down and complimented Warner at the other end.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/GeoffLemonSport/status/931422900048949249

Pretty funny

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This women's ashes T20 is pretty good.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

None of the NZ test squad did much of anything in the latest domestic round, hardly inspiring heading into the tests v the West Indies.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

This women's ashes T20 is pretty good.

North Sydney oval is such a perfect venue for games like this. It's a shame Channel nine decided to put it on gem and not their main channel, but I guess the Harry Potter movie is just too important

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Well this has started poorly

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Anyone played the new Ashes Cricket game that's just out? Me and a mate used to love a bash about on Brian Lara 2007, I think it was? Started with a very reggae song with a guy singing "but I feel good, but I feel high".

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

How do these vidya games account for test matches lasting 5 days?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

India have a tour of South Africa and England over the next year or so coming up. The test last night on a green kolkata pitch suggests that they might struggle. Especially in england if the poms give them a tough pitch. Lakmal took 3 wickets for no runs in the 6 overs he bowled before rain took them off the field. Lakmal is an ok bowler i guess but he aint the english bowlers on a green top. He set kohli up with the old take two balls away and bring one in trick.

https://streamable.com/6iotv

the last time England prepared a green top for the visit of India, India won by 95 runs

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notaspy posted:

How do these vidya games account for test matches lasting 5 days?

Have a mode that actually lasts 5 days to appeal to the euro truck simulator demographic.

E: on second thoughts maybe a timeless tests dlc would be the best thing for the kind of person who thinks that driving a simulated lorry from Aberdeen to Plovdiv is a fun way to spend a saturday afternoon.

jazzyhattrick fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 17, 2017

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
How do you know that Plovdiv is in the game?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

runoverbobby posted:

How do you know that Plovdiv is in the game?

Plovdiv is in Ashes Cricket 2017?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
This piece by Malcolm Knox is good, mostly because it describes Shaun Marsh as the Australian selectors eczema

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/knox-column-amid-permanent-revolution-a-search-for-clarity-20171117-gznf0o.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I dunno why you're all getting your knickers in a twist, England are so poo poo that the big news is Jake Ball might be fit for the first test. They'll roll over in the first couple of tests and after that they're just after a nice Christmas holiday with the family in the sunshine.