Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Literally the only reason that mini vans aren't driven by pretty much everyone with a family is perceived social stigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wheeee posted:

Literally the only reason that mini vans aren't driven by pretty much everyone with a family is perceived social stigma.

And cost. Minivans aren't cheap.

Not that crossovers are cheap, but the Mazda 5 isn't around anymore and there's nothing available in that market these days. If you go check out minivans at your local dealer, you'll see how hard it is to find one that isn't specd out like a luxury car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Wheeee posted:

"Aww, hell no! Moms drive station wagons! I'm getting one of those cool new minivans!"
"Aww, hell no! Moms drive minivans! I'm getting one of those cool new SUVs!"
"Aww, hell no! Moms drive SUVs! I'm getting one of those cool new Crossovers!"

Only a matter of time before we're onto the next cycle. Personally I'm hoping we get stations wagons back at some point.

Did you know: the main reason that auto manufacturers started putting tinted windows on cars because of the exact same attitudes outlined above? Nobody wants to be perceived as a parent, so tinting the rear windows lets you hide the kids in the back and pretend you're still single and attractive to the young guy/girl next to you at the stoplight. It's just an impossible level of egotism.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The remaining minivans aren't cheap, because it has become a niche market that relies on high margins. If minivans were still in demand you would see much more in the way of lower-margin mass-market options.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

MikeyTsi posted:

"Because that's the car my mom drove".

It really boils down to this, nobody wants to drive a mom-mobile. My mom drove a Camaro, so I drive a Mustang.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wheeee posted:

Wagons are cool but for vast swathes of America/Canada ground clearance actually matters. Even if you don't get snow, being able to take dirt roads and such without worrying about the car is nice.

The actual handling differences from moving the center of gravity up a handful of inches are minimal unless you're driving harder than you should on the street.

I've driven a Mustang through seven winters and a decent amount of snow, and on the occasional gravel road as necessary. Average wagon/hatchback clearance is just fine for 99% of drivers.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Did you know: the main reason that auto manufacturers started putting tinted windows on cars because of the exact same attitudes outlined above? Nobody wants to be perceived as a parent, so tinting the rear windows lets you hide the kids in the back and pretend you're still single and attractive to the young guy/girl next to you at the stoplight. It's just an impossible level of egotism.

Yeah and also the sun

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

2019 Hyundai Veloster N
2.0L turbo I4, 275 HP, 260 lb-ft
6-speed manual, LSD, "electronically controlled suspension"

I kind of like it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FBS posted:

2019 Hyundai Veloster N

I kind of like it

They always look good in photos, and yet completely horrid in real life, so I'm going to wait to judge this until I see one in the flesh.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

They always look good in photos, and yet completely horrid in real life, so I'm going to wait to judge this until I see one in the flesh.

I wish there were bringing the i30n here. I'd actually be more interested in that than the Veloster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

I wish there were bringing the i30n here. I'd actually be more interested in that than the Veloster.

They are already selling the i30 as the Elantra GT. It would surprise me if they didn't offer an Elantra GTN at some point.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The front end feels like it wants to be equal parts Impreza and Focus ST.

The interior looks like a good improvement over the previous model. I kinda like it too.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

eyebeem posted:

Not that crossovers are cheap, but the Mazda 5 isn't around anymore and there's nothing available in that market these days. If you go check out minivans at your local dealer, you'll see how hard it is to find one that isn't specd out like a luxury car.

Then again, the minivan market is a bifurcated one where you have the extremes of people looking for the absolutely cheapest option possible or a tricked out luxo barge with nothing in-between. Even then, a max optioned minivan can be had for just under $50K street transaction price, which is still like $10K+ under the list of a comparably equipped Expedition or Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon.

I think Mercedes is leaving a lot of higher-end van market money on the table by not importing the V-class van. The underlying Metris is here, but not the luxed-up V-class version.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Powershift posted:

They are already selling the i30 as the Elantra GT. It would surprise me if they didn't offer an Elantra GTN at some point.

They sell the 1.6L turbo not the 2.0L turbo in the US. The veloster looks like a giant elantra with a little effort to fit the veloster form in. I have a 2016 and basic tune at 223whp and 252ftlbs. Meh on the 2.0L unless it has solid rods from the factory. The looks look too basic and rear is weird. I wouldn't mind the IRS but guessing it will weigh 200-300lbs more and stripping mine for autocross. With funny wheel drive the rear suspension matters less than weight.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Sagebrush posted:

"Aww, hell no! Moms drive station wagons! I'm getting one of those cool new minivans!"
"Aww, hell no! Moms drive minivans! I'm getting one of those cool new SUVs!"
"Aww, hell no! Moms drive SUVs! I'm getting one of those cool new Crossovers!"

Only a matter of time before we're onto the next cycle. Personally I'm hoping we get stations wagons back at some point.

"Aww hell no! Moms drive cars! I'm getting a Lyft / riding my bike."

Also aren't there different laws regarding factory tint of the rear windows for trucks and cars?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I mostly like it but drat, we're nearing Countach levels of rear window at this point. The wee little wiper is hilarious.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FBS posted:

2019 Hyundai Veloster N

I kind of like it

still uggo

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Sagebrush posted:

It has more to do with concealing cargo in the trunk from passers by than keeping the fact that you have a child sitting in the back secret.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cool startup feel posted:

Yeah and also the sun

Yeah it's this in any sunny place. You tint your windows to keep the heat out otherwise you die twice, on fire.

FBS posted:

2019 Hyundai Veloster N

I kind of like it

Neat, I like that they are using 'N' instead of R or RS or GT or whatever. I do wonder what it will actually be like to drive though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Also aren't there different laws regarding factory tint of the rear windows for trucks and cars?

Correct

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Wheeee posted:

Wagons are cool but for vast swathes of America/Canada ground clearance actually matters. Even if you don't get snow, being able to take dirt roads and such without worrying about the car is nice.

The actual handling differences from moving the center of gravity up a handful of inches are minimal unless you're driving harder than you should on the street.

What a strange way of saying that. Ground clearance probably also matters for large swaths of the moon but it’s just as unlikely that the vast majority of cars are going to end up there as they are over some patch in Wyoming.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I have a coworker that bought a brand new Veloster R-spec. It's been in the shop longer than it's been in his driveway. The turbo never worked right and it threw check engine lights. Third time of that and he demanded a lemon law replacement. Hyundai is going to fight him on it and he's taking them to court. So, do never Veloster, and Bajaha would also corroborate.

I asked him why the heck he bothered buying a tooted up Veloster after reading about Bajaha's troubles with his: because he had a Kia sephia that lasted 400,000 miles. didn't that have the bp engine out of the 323/miata?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

BloodBag posted:

because he had a Kia sephia that lasted 400,000 miles. didn't that have the bp engine out of the 323/miata?

I had a Sephia! Loved that car it had a 1.8 that loved to rev I'm fairly confident it's the BP engine. I swapped my cluster to one with a tach and beat the poo poo out of that car every single day. Redline pulls, horrible downshifts, j turns in empty lots, pushing shopping carts around, bombing gravel roads you name it. It had 270,000 on it before I traded it to some guy for a stick shift short bed short cab Dodge Dakota lol.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BrownieVK posted:

I had a Sephia! Loved that car it had a 1.8 that loved to rev I'm fairly confident it's the BP engine. I swapped my cluster to one with a tach and beat the poo poo out of that car every single day. Redline pulls, horrible downshifts, j turns in empty lots, pushing shopping carts around, bombing gravel roads you name it. It had 270,000 on it before I traded it to some guy for a stick shift short bed short cab Dodge Dakota lol.

My family had a sephia too, for a cheap econobox those things were awesome and completely unkillable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

eyebeem posted:

I'm sad about the Mazda 5 being gone... a weird bigger B-Max kinda thingy with teeny sliding doors that also was available with a manual? Hell maybe I'll find one for a winter beater or something sometime.

One of my friends had one- third row seating was cramped for anyone but kids but I mean that's probably why you're buying it anyways. Also almost zero trunk space with the third row up but hey it's a compromise.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm sad about the Mazda 5 being gone
It was pretty strange that Australia didn't even have it and we normally get every mazda (x2 back in the ford having rebadged mazda days). And of course didn't get euro passenger vans in any volume.
In the 80s and 90s it was toyota, nissan or mits mainly. After they were outdated deathtraps then only kia/chrysler minivans/people movers were around besides commercial type vans, or the odyssey I guess if that counts

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

dissss posted:

Im not convinced that you ‘fall down’ into a modern family car anyway - they’re all quite tall these days.

While the hip point today is higher than you saw on something like a 90s Saturn S-series, your typical modern sedan is still too low for most people. All my 6'+ relatives complained about the Chrysler 300 being too low back when I had one, for instance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EnergizerFellow posted:

While the hip point today is higher than you saw on something like a 90s Saturn S-series, your typical modern sedan is still too low for most people. All my 6'+ relatives complained about the Chrysler 300 being too low back when I had one, for instance.

In another decade or so, people will be complaining about how their parents' cars were too high and will find a low-slung sedan more to their liking.

People are always wanting something different, which means designs go through a predictable cycle.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

In another decade or so, people will be complaining about how their parents' cars were too high and will find a low-slung sedan more to their liking.

People are always wanting something different, which means designs go through a predictable cycle.

You've been seeing that for a long time already with people bitching about having to step up into a BOF SUV like a Tahoe, which is part of why the unibody crossovers are as popular as they are. The Lexus RX and Cadillac SRX/XT5 are the #1 and #2 best selling lux crossovers in the land and have been for a long time for a good reason. Even younger people love them as coworkers love the higher hip point and higher roof as it makes child seat usage much easier, along with getting things in/out of the rear hatch. They are the true modern replacements for the Ford Panther and GM B-body.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 16, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

This is going to shock all the old man goons here but young people these days actually like CUVs and think they're nice and cool, if they think about cars much at all

Calling them lame appliances for people who don't care is dumb, wrong, and insulting

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Wheeee posted:

This is going to shock all the old man goons here but young people these days actually like CUVs and think they're nice and cool, if they think about cars much at all

Calling them lame appliances for people who don't care is dumb, wrong, and insulting

Except the Juke. The Juke deserves all the scorn it can get

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just wish all crossovers didn't look the same. Every manufacturer has generic blob crossovers in small, medium, and large and they look pretty much the same as every other manufacturer's offerings. The only ones that don't look the same are trying way too hard and are abominations like the Juke.

Also wish that someone would make one that is fun that isn't Porsche Macan priced.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wheeee posted:

This is exactly why they will become uncool though, if the rest of automotive history is any indication. A thing is cool, gets popular, becomes uncool because it is popular, repeat. Lots of people that don't think about cars most certainly think about how a car reflects on them, pretty sure that's what sells a vast, vast majority of Wrangler these days. Or pickups.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Guinness posted:

I just wish all crossovers didn't look the same. Every manufacturer has generic blob crossovers in small, medium, and large and they look pretty much the same as every other manufacturer's offerings. The only ones that don't look the same are trying way too hard and are abominations like the Juke.

Also wish that someone would make one that is fun that isn't Porsche Macan priced.

the new x2 has roundels at eye level for the discerning german auto enthusiast

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Reviewers say the CX-5 drives pretty well- drat if they would put the 2.5 turbo from the CX-9 that they're tossing in the 6 for next year's model (250HP/310lb*ft)it would rule. Current motor is kinda anemic. speedCX-5

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

hifi posted:

the new x2 has roundels at eye level for the discerning german auto enthusiast

Urgh, it's so so bad, and it even looks like a tacked-on afterthought. The X2 sure as poo poo ain't the old M1 or 3.0 CS.

But really they're just giving the consumer what they want. A way to scream at everyone around them, "HEY DID YOU KNOW I HAVE (THE CHEAPEST) BMW?"

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Guinness posted:

Urgh, it's so so bad, and it even looks like a tacked-on afterthought. The X2 sure as poo poo ain't the old M1 or 3.0 CS.

But really they're just giving the consumer what they want. A way to scream at everyone around them, "HEY DID YOU KNOW I HAVE (THE CHEAPEST) BMW?"

But it's not the cheapest; the X1 fills that role (especially since it's just a tarted up Countryman).

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Monkey Fracas posted:

Reviewers say the CX-5 drives pretty well- drat if they would put the 2.5 turbo from the CX-9 that they're tossing in the 6 for next year's model (250HP/310lb*ft)it would rule. Current motor is kinda anemic. speedCX-5

I love my CX-5, girlfriend wanted a cuv I wanted a wagon. I can drop the seat low enough that it feels carlike, she can raise it up and see over traffic. Handles well, the autobox is pretty aggressive, but a bit more power would be fun. I’d buy another especially with the 2.5T.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Guinness posted:

As long as it comes with a BMW keyfob that can be conspicuously displayed on the bar counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friendly reminder: Every vehicle doesn't have to appeal specifically to you. Most people worry more about potholes than apexes. Crossover's represent what the car was before vanity took hold.

This is BMW's first car

This is where it started, this is where it ends.