Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

The 13-inch quad-core 2018 rMBP appeals to me but my 2015 rMBP will have to burst apart into a cloud of flaming radioactive chunks before I pony up for one.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm drooling over a quad 13"

The iGPU in the 2018 13” quad core probably kicks the poo poo out of the 750m in my 2013, but I kinda can’t imagine having an MBP without a dGPU. Call it a nonsense psychological attachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

I think the iBooks had a silcone membrane on them and they started to smell like BO after several years.

OH was that what that was? I remember thinking badly of the dude that ran one back in the day. Figured he smeared his rear end all over the keyboard or something. It was rank.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The iBook keyboards are easily replaceable though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Housh posted:

So should I keep going one by one for repairs now? I got the crack sound, and bad keyboard. Could bitch about some weird GPU things too.
Crack sound?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

When temps change in the CPU or even the environment I get a crack sound which I think is the battery expanding and shrinking. Dunno. It's a widely reported issue for the 2016-2017...and probably 2018

Some people say it could also be the haptic feedback thingy inside the touchpad shifting if you had your MacBook Pro sitting on its side for a while

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My mom has a late 2008 13in macbook pro (the first generation unibody) and it is VERY long in the tooth.

She keeps telling me that she wants to buy a new once because she's getting her business off the ground and needs a computer to manage invoices/spreadsheets and 'business' stuff like that.

She has already gone to the apple store in her area and checked out the new 13in pros but expressed concerns that "there were no USB ports". She also looked at the macbook airs but at the current going price it makes no sense not to just pay a few hundred extra and get the pro imho.

I tried to explain that she could simply use a USB-C to USB-A/hub adapter to plug in things like her iPod classic (still uses it in her car to listen to podcasts) and her first gen iPad pro but she doesn't want to get the apple one because it's like $30.

I'm going to get the 256gb version of the new 13in for her and I want to know what the USB-C hub is. She would only need 2 USB ports, HDMI, and a SD card. Whats the best option for under $30?

eames
May 9, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The iGPU in the 2018 13” quad core probably kicks the poo poo out of the 750m in my 2013, but I kinda can’t imagine having an MBP without a dGPU. Call it a nonsense psychological attachment.

To be honest the iGPU in my 2013 beats the GT750m on the same board in most of the time these days. I'm not sure why but I suspect that Intel did a better job at optimizing the mac drivers over the years.
What you get in a 2018 13" is fundamentally the same iGPU as the one in the 2013 15" so drivers are still being worked on while the Kepler architecture is long forgotten. Power and thermal managment between CPU and dGPU also never worked nearly as well as what Intel is able to do having both on the same package.
In retrospect I really regret buying the dGPU version, ironically the logic board in my MBP recently died and the AASP suspects it was dGPU related.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Im liking the touchbar. It's nice to have some features just a button press away.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You could just bind a ctrl/option/alt/command stroke to the feature instead of having the ridiculous touch bar.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Steakandchips posted:

You could just bind a ctrl/option/alt/command stroke to the feature instead of having the ridiculous touch bar.

Nah I'm enjoying this better than trying to remember a keystroke for a certain feature.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Steakandchips posted:

:goonsay:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm going to get the 256gb version of the new 13in for her and I want to know what the USB-C hub is. She would only need 2 USB ports, HDMI, and a SD card. Whats the best option for under $30?

I’ve never seen a USB-C hub with all that stuff for under $30. The closest I can find is this one from Lenovo for $35: https://amazon.com/dp/B07DCQ3FBL

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

OH was that what that was? I remember thinking badly of the dude that ran one back in the day. Figured he smeared his rear end all over the keyboard or something. It was rank.

That was a problem with the glue decaying and creating a terrible B.O. smell. I couldn't give my old iBook away.

I guess I could have replaced the keyboard, but that model was horribly underpowered. I think it was built for OS 9 so it never ran OS X right even though it was shipped with it. The 8mb video card handled Aqua about as well as expected (I used black & white mode to speed things up or reduced the color gamut to thousands of colors instead of millions).

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

I'm using the Blackmagic eGPU on my Mac and it's working great for the most part. The odd behavior is that when I disconnect the eGPU (using the disconnect the radeon 850 pro menu bar option) , it relaunches all my open applications. This is the first time using a eGPU on a Mac so I was wondering if this was considered expected behavior or not. Blackmagic support isn't that great and can't give me a straight answer on this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How long does it take to see the newest model hit the refurb store? MONEY BURNING A HOLE IN MY POCKET FOR A 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

How long does it take to see the newest model hit the refurb store? MONEY BURNING A HOLE IN MY POCKET FOR A 2018
Typically ~90 days for MacBooks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

jimtech posted:

I'm using the Blackmagic eGPU on my Mac and it's working great for the most part. The odd behavior is that when I disconnect the eGPU (using the disconnect the radeon 850 pro menu bar option) , it relaunches all my open applications. This is the first time using a eGPU on a Mac so I was wondering if this was considered expected behavior or not. Blackmagic support isn't that great and can't give me a straight answer on this.

I haven't used one, but IIRC I was listening to a podcast and they said this was a known issue and annoying.

Edit: With eGPUs in general on the Mac, not this new Blackmagic in particular.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Weedle posted:

I’ve never seen a USB-C hub with all that stuff for under $30. The closest I can find is this one from Lenovo for $35: https://amazon.com/dp/B07DCQ3FBL

Will aftermarket hubs work with the new Macbook Pros? This may be a stupid question but this is Apple after all...

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there a way to tell if a MBP replacement logic board is new or refurbished? Not that it concerns me in any way, I'm just curious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

Is there a way to tell if a MBP replacement logic board is new or refurbished? Not that it concerns me in any way, I'm just curious.

How new you talking? I'm guessing you could tell by the SSD usage stats

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

eames posted:

Louis Rossman had a video about it and he seems to think there are obvious differences. The guy runs an Apple Computer Repair business so of course he's very biased but has several videos where he holds a new board next to a refurb board and some of them are pretty gruesome.

I would imagine that most of them are not like that considering both of the Mac I've owned were both certified refurbs and I have taken both of them apart multiple times and they looked normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaGHcBZjmWA&t=44s

Here's one of his videos FWIW.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It also depends on how old the model is; if it's way old like a 2012 or 2013 that's more likely to have a reconditioned logic board; Apple does have techs devoted to component level repairs and if there's no boards in stock they'll just fix an old one from the bin.

I used to see lampshade G4s with a lot of rebuilt logic boards, I could swear some of them were ones I had worked on them previously due to capacitor leakage / other matter patterns on the PCB surface. Basically if it passes muster with diagnostics they'll just slap them back in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

Will aftermarket hubs work with the new Macbook Pros? This may be a stupid question but this is Apple after all...

It's USB-C and not Thunderbolt 3. So it will work (and I think I'm about to buy it) but I guess it's more limited than a true TB3 hub. Still a good price.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW some folks have found that the same adapters that allow Late 2013-15 rMBPs to accept NVMe M.2 SSDs will also work on Late 2013-2015 iMacs that have SSD slots on them (some don't depends on BTO config.)

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

How new you talking? I'm guessing you could tell by the SSD usage stats

Pretty old, 2013, no soldered SSD.
The thought that I might be spending a lot of money on a logic board with a broken but temporarily reballed GPU did not cross my mind when I told them to repair it. :thunk:

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Has anyone seen any actual in-depth, post-patch comparisons between the 2018 13-inch i5 and i7 CPUs? I haven't seen any real benchmark comparisons, just Geekbench (i5, i7) which isn't very helpful since it doesn't really thermally stress the CPU at all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sent from my iPad posted:

Has anyone seen any actual in-depth, post-patch comparisons between the 2018 13-inch i5 and i7 CPUs? I haven't seen any real benchmark comparisons, just Geekbench (i5, i7) which isn't very helpful since it doesn't really thermally stress the CPU at all.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/re-testing-the-macbook-pro-apples-firmware-update-led-to-a-big-improvement/

Ars re-did their testing, but not super in depth. This part may be of interest if you have a GPU heavy workload.

They did 12 processs of "yes > /dev/null &" to max the CPU. Over five minutes the new patch didn't show any throttling. They then did the same and also ran GFXBench at the same time.

quote:

Things get muddier when the GPU is also fully taxed, though. At that point, the CPU is throttled to as low as 2GHz. However, performance is consistent, which is essential for 3D modeling and many other workflows that were hampered by the wild fluctuations we saw before the update.

Keep in mind that this was an artificially produced worst-case scenario that is more severe than almost all actual use cases, but the MacBook Pro still can't fully tap the potential of both the CPU and GPU simultaneously. This is not surprising, given the laptop's form factor. It's a compromise for portability.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/re-testing-the-macbook-pro-apples-firmware-update-led-to-a-big-improvement/

Ars re-did their testing, but not super in depth. This part may be of interest if you have a GPU heavy workload.

They did 12 processs of "yes > /dev/null &" to max the CPU. Over five minutes the new patch didn't show any throttling. They then did the same and also ran GFXBench at the same time.
Thanks, this is super helpful! (And confirms that hopefully pre-patch benchmarks between the two stand up.) But I was thinking of more of a head-to-head comparison between the i5 and i7. The i7 is $300 more, which seems steep even by Apple standards. GeekBench shows a 14% single core and 6% multicore performance bump between the two.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hopefully some place will have 2 of the 2018 MBPs so they can keep one unpatched just in case they need to redo a test. Seems really shady they can fix it in firmware.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Seems really shady they can fix it in firmware.

lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Firmware is a magic word that fixes everything. Remember all the hand wringing four months ago about meltdown and spectre? How it was gonna take 10 years to fix and every single cpu currently in use is gonna let hackers steal all your money?

Then firmware patches showed up and now no one cares.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Seems really shady they can fix it in firmware.

How do you think computers work?!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The screens on these new retina MBPs are hella dope.

Unfortunately they have the side effect of making me hate my existing 1080p monitors/other laptops because they "look like poo poo" now.

e: What is it about these screens that make them look so good? Is it just the resolution? Would a "4k monitor" have a similar "wow this is amazing" effect?

e2: vvv thanks for the info vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 31, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They are high PPI colour-accurate displays, and the new ones with TrueTone will match the colour temperature to your surroundings for a more pleasant viewing experience and a more natural looking white point (at the expense of colour accuracy). A high-quality accurate 4K panel in a laptop form factor will look even more impressive (>300 PPI) when calibrated. I have a Surface Book from work and that display is just gorgeous - it has a slightly higher PPI (267) than the MacBook Pro 13" (227). Windows' UI isn't quite as pretty as macOS though so there's a bit of that going on too.

edit: If you get a 4K monitor for the desktop, it will have a lower PPI if it's bigger than 17 inches or so.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 31, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Boris Galerkin posted:

Unfortunately they have the side effect of making me hate my existing 1080p monitors/other laptops because they "look like poo poo" now.

e: What is it about these screens that make them look so good? Is it just the resolution? Would a "4k monitor" have a similar "wow this is amazing" effect?

Pixel density, brightness, contrast, colour accuracy and (possibly) the glossy finish. I'd argue that pixel density is the biggest factor so moving from 1080p to a 4k panel would make a big difference, but you'd also want one with a high peak brightness and contrast ratio to really get that same visual 'pop' you get from the displays Apple uses in their Macs, otherwise the picture will be sharp but it'll also be dim and washed out.

e; f,b

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

xzzy posted:

Firmware is a magic word that fixes everything. Remember all the hand wringing four months ago about meltdown and spectre? How it was gonna take 10 years to fix and every single cpu currently in use is gonna let hackers steal all your money?

Then firmware patches showed up and now no one cares.
A large majority of spectre/meltdown patches have been software patches made by OS companies. Intel has promised new chips that mitigate these attacks, but those haven't been released yet. Spectre/meltdown are actually still possible big issues that are just not being paid attention to. "No one cares" because most people don't know whether or not to care since no outlets have reported on their status since thy were big news at the beginning of the year. Hell there are newly discovered variants of the Spectre attack that have been reported as recently as last week that seem to work around some of the mitigations the companies made to fix their OS.

No one has ever said it would take 10 years to fix. The problem is it will slow down CPUs given the way they (mainly Intel) architectured the chips. Tons of companies spent countless hours figuring out solutions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

No one has ever said it would take 10 years to fix. The problem is it will slow down CPUs given the way they (mainly Intel) architectured the chips. Tons of companies spent countless hours figuring out solutions.

When it was discovered, the estimate was 6 years to design the flaw out of the current architecture without introducing processing degradation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: vvv thanks for the info vvv

I got an LG Ultrafine 4K and that has ruined me for my 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Just like the Retina display ruined me for 'normal' laptop displays.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Shaocaholica posted:

Hopefully some place will have 2 of the 2018 MBPs so they can keep one unpatched just in case they need to redo a test. Seems really shady they can fix it in firmware.

Can you expand on this? I don't follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
He thinks computers are voodo, a guy on reddit fixed the throttling before the patch you can read all the nerdy details, basically apple didn't set the value for MSR_TURBO_POWER_LIMIT correctly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/91256u/optimal_cpu_tuning_settings_for_i9_mbp_to_stop/