Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So is it all like super serious about dancing away the shadows?

Like I thought it was just gonna be a super goofy plot for DAN with funky music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It plays it 100% straight

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like the only parts of the story that are any fun are when Nanako meets Kanami and then they form a dancing duo with a hilariously stereotypically gay dance instructor and all of them marveling at Nanako's dancing prowess. It is hilarious and adorable and the only part of the story that's any fun to follow because you feel like someone was actually having fun making this game at that point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Whhhyyyyy?

Does it feel like it was somebody's test/fan script and they just crammed it with their idea for a dance game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds like #FE is the better musical spinoff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The weirdest and best part for me was when Yu calls Rise who is somewhere else in the TV World and asks her to put on his music through her satellite face Persona that apparently has an aux plugged up to it cause it's time to Dance now.

The rest of the group keep calling up Rise too like she's a DJ and it's funny but also like c'mon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

Whhhyyyyy?

Does it feel like it was somebody's test/fan script and they just crammed it with their idea for a dance game?

The weird thing is Kanami Kitchen is really obviously supposed to be like this satire of idol groups right down to the girls classifying themselves as meat, but like the game never really follows through much with it on it aside from mean people saying things and then the time honored strategy of "Nah brah, you gotta be true to urself." "Aight." Then self-realization is achieved. They're more like Orwellian Concepts in the form of cute anime girls, really.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Baal posted:

The weird thing is Kanami Kitchen is really obviously supposed to be like this satire of idol groups right down to the girls classifying themselves as meat, but like the game never really follows through much with it on it aside from mean people saying things and then the time honored strategy of "Nah brah, you gotta be true to urself." "Aight." Then self-realization is achieved. They're more like Orwellian Concepts in the form of cute anime girls, really.

So it's Rise's subplot but with five people instead. I kinda hated Rise's subplot so an entire game based around it is garbage to me.

Okay so aside from the reason "they wanted to make a dancing game" which is fine how does the serious plot force the characters to dance?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Iirc it's because the shadows are appeased by expression of one's self and what better way to express yourself than to pop and lock?

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

So like the bad guy prevents any violence taking place within the shadow realm du jour, and instead of killing their victims the shadows under the bad guy's command prey on their victim's insecurities until they get desperate enough for friendship that they join the bad guy's legions, so instead of loving the shadows up with powers n poo poo the heroes have to express their true friendship so hard (through dance) that the shadows realize that their bonds with the bad guy are bullshit and give up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's hilarious.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New demon: Inanna, the Sumerian version of Ishtar

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds like #FE is the better musical spinoff.

They have better songs too.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm playing Nocturne for the first time and it's so loving badass, the music, the atmosphere, how hard it is, etc, but I watched a video of a guy playing SMT4 and there were like a million lines of dialog and characters constantly interrupting you to tell you some stupid poo poo wtf Atlus?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

El Hefe posted:

I'm playing Nocturne for the first time and it's so loving badass, the music, the atmosphere, how hard it is, etc, but I watched a video of a guy playing SMT4 and there were like a million lines of dialog and characters constantly interrupting you to tell you some stupid poo poo wtf Atlus?

it does that for like an hour to establish its setting

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anything people complain that SMTIV doesn't have enough talking

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Talking, in an RPG? What is this bullshit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Voice actors are what sell units.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The problem is anyone who talks in SMT4 is dumb except Nozomi and Liam O'Brien.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
well watching the video I noticed that the music is nowhere near as good and demons are just 2d sprites so that sucks too but the rest looks cool

I just wish they made a mainline SMT game for PS4 instead of just Persona

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of those sells more and it isn't mainline.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The music's super cool actually

But yeah the reused sprites suck and I would like to see a new SMT that has production values and isn't a lot of reused assets, but rip

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My greatest fear for SMT4F is that they mess up Nozomi.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Persona 5 actually has demons as enemies so y'all are finally getting those HD demon assets you've always wanted.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Now time for them to never be used for anything other than Persona

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

El Hefe posted:

well watching the video I noticed that the music is nowhere near as good and demons are just 2d sprites so that sucks too but the rest looks cool

Music isn't as good because it's not Shoji Meguro. Having just gotten SMT4 recently my biggest complaint coming from Nocturne is the map.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Baal posted:

Now time for them to never be used for anything other than Persona

Yes but if it means I can play as Jack Frost in Persona 5: Dancing All Night I think it's a win.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It means you'll get to play as Yukiko

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Terper posted:

The problem is anyone who talks in SMT4 is dumb except Nozomi and Liam O'Brien.

Blow me, kid.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Music isn't as good because it's not Shoji Meguro. Having just gotten SMT4 recently my biggest complaint coming from Nocturne is the map.

He's credited for the Club Milton and Shinjuku themes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Baal posted:

It means you'll get to play as Yukiko

I don't know her

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

This owns and is at least on par with anything from Nocturne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTbDtQSgW4

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

there needs to be a version of nocturne where the music hasn't been compressed to 2kb

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Strange Quark posted:

He's credited for the Club Milton and Shinjuku themes.

Yeah but his battle music is what I miss the most.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

I don't know her

You don't know Jack

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nocturne is cool because one of the lyrics in the boss theme is WE WILL SACRIFICE THE SON OF OUR GOD iirc and that sets the tone of Nocturne pretty well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would enjoy less japanese women screaming at me

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

El Hefe posted:

the music is nowhere near as good

The SMT IV OST is loving excellent. It's really moody and cool and good and right up there with Nocturne IMO.

quote:

and demons are just 2d sprites so that sucks too

2D sprites are awesome and I will never agree with this complaint, but this could be because I'm an old fart

quote:

OK this I'm on board with though :yeah:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Would you prefer Japanese men mumble-rapping at you?