Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They'll probably fix the translation of the Ring of Blades, which in English left out the knight of Aiken's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm really looking forward to the "augmented item descriptions". There's a lot of pretty boring item descriptions out there, and I feel like a lot of names and things are severely underused. Like the name Eygil, from Eygil's Idol, the big Minotaur statue where the third bonfire of iron keep is. I forget what item talks about it.

He's mentioned a couple of times in the second DLC, appropriately. He made a couple of the pyromancies you get, and the Minotaur Helm was made by the Iron King in his honor.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's revealed that Eygil was, in fact, just a scholarly minotaur.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is said his cousins guard Drangleic to this very day. When asked for comment, the only response was "Neigh".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really fuckin love the Minotaur helmet and I wear it all the time now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Haha.

Could always just watch new NPCs/cutscenes on youtube and spare your wallet.

You are getting those regardless. Every version gets those in a free upgrade. It's just a few specific graphics/online/possibly enemy placement updates that are reserved for the new versions.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm really looking forward to the "augmented item descriptions". There's a lot of pretty boring item descriptions out there, and I feel like a lot of names and things are severely underused. Like the name Eygil, from Eygil's Idol, the big Minotaur statue where the third bonfire of iron keep is. I forget what item talks about it.
Every weapon description needs to be as motivational as the parrying dagger. Nothing gets me pumped for probably never parrying like the parrying dagger does. Nothing like learning how to barefist parry the pursuer until the sun sets, then failing every time when summoned.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

with respect to the new matchmaking, do we have any idea if character saves will be server-side in the new release? That would really, really help with hackers on PC.

or any other anti-hacker news?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Would those of you who know the difference between durability loss at 60 FPS vs. 30 test this for me? Just threw it together as a quick fix for the 60 FPS problem since someone complained about it yesterday.

This is a CE script to divide weapon durability loss by a number you can define, with the default being 2 for half loss. I think I got it right, but you tell me.

Copy and paste this code into your CE table and activate.

EDIT: Removed activation hotkeys I left in, sorry about that.

EDIT: Fixed durability restoration.

code:
// Weapon Durability Loss Divider
// Author: Tallgeese
// Note: Please don't try to divide by 0.

[ENABLE]
aobscan(WepDL,F3 0F 11 47 6C E8)
registersymbol(WepDL)

alloc(newmem,256)
label(TempVar)
label(DuraReductionFactor)
registersymbol(DuraReductionFactor)
label(newcode)
label(continue)
label(return)

newmem:

TempVar:
dd 0

DuraReductionFactor:
dd (float)2.0

newcode:
push eax
movss [TempVar],xmm0
fld [edi+6C]
fsub [TempVar]
mov [TempVar],(float)0
fcom [TempVar] // Check for dura restoration
fstsw ax // Copy comparison flags
sahf
ja continue

pop eax
fstp [TempVar] // Dura is being restored
movss [edi+6C],xmm0
jmp return

continue:
fdiv [DuraReductionFactor]
fstp [TempVar] // Changed dura loss
fld [edi+6C]
fsub [TempVar]
fstp [TempVar] // New dura
mov eax,[TempVar]

mov [edi+6C],eax // Change dura

pop eax
jmp return

WepDL:
jmp newcode
return:

[DISABLE]
dealloc(newmem)
WepDL:
movss [edi+6C],xmm0
//Alt: db F3 0F 11 47 6C

unregistersymbol(WepDL)
unregistersymbol(DuraReductionFactor)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 26, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pmchem posted:

with respect to the new matchmaking, do we have any idea if character saves will be server-side in the new release? That would really, really help with hackers on PC.

or any other anti-hacker news?

All they did was release a teaser trailer, we don't know any details about the changes they're making.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Er, if any of you were interested in my 60 FPS dura loss fix, please copy the code again.

I forgot to check for durability restoration. Whoopsie.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
What's a good spot for Sunbroing at 1.5M SM these days? I got to Guardian Dragon and didn't get any hits. Made my way to Fume Knight thinking there have to be people summoning there and still nothing :( .

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 26, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe try the bonfire in front of the throne of want, the two boss fights there are pretty good for that sm I think.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Things I will probably never do in this game:

-Wear havels

-Beat the royal rat authority without a bow

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6fhHj7bt8

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Sanctum posted:

Things I will probably never do in this game:

-Wear havels

-Beat the royal rat authority without a bow

Use a greatshield and melee weapon then get up in its face. When it does that asinine jump attack it'll stun you but, you have enough time to recover and get a few hits in.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Use a greatshield and melee weapon then get up in its face. When it does that asinine jump attack it'll stun you but, you have enough time to recover and get a few hits in.

Seriously, this. The rat's charge attack can be a nasty surprise and tricky to dodge if you're not directly under it, but if you face it with a shield, it literally cannot kill you. The boss just takes far too long to attack again, at which point you can block or run directly under him. If you're fast enough, you can stay under him and never leave - otherwise, the shield keeps you invulnerable.

The hardest part of the entire fight are those small rats, really. I don't think there's anything in the game that can cure toxic, is there? In boss fights with high pressure, it's basically a death sentence... Still, it's a fun fight, if only for the fact that you can't block-strafe the boss to death.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure those small rats are why he wanted the bow. the Authority itself is just palletswap Sif, and the same strategy still applies: sit under it and it can't hurt you.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Torquemadras posted:

I don't think there's anything in the game that can cure toxic, is there?

Anything that cures poison will cure toxic, so just eat some moss and you'll be feeling better in no time! Consult your doctor if symptoms persist.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress royal rat authority :argh: Only boss aside from that first shot at pursuer that gave me issues... For like, the first half of the game I played then let collect dust (DLC bosses, mirror knight, what are those :v: Flexile Sentry, Ruin sentinels, and Gargoyles are just pushover punks though, provided you can't be one-shot from full health by them)

Greatshield really helped me, but the real difference maker was finally raising my adaptability stat to "As good as Midroll in the first game".

Half the battle was dealing with the 'weapons keep swinging past/clipping through them' smaller rats. I tried wearing the thieves outfit for it's bigger tox resist (on top of a ring) one time but I still got toxic in two bites and stunlocked for my troubles :v:

EDIT: vvv That would have been great for a character that wasn't dumb as a rock, and also had attune while knowing what the word faith even means :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 28, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm fairly certain soul appease nukes all the small rats.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
So this new version will have the lighting that was shown off in the previews before the game came out?

Edit: I don't care about the other DX11 version things but if this is a case of delivering in new product what they said they were going to deliver in the original product then that is kind of poo poo. That being said I'm pretty gosh darn happy with the game as it is so I wont be upgrading.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 28, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
We don't know but you seriously shouldn't get your hopes up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hopes: up.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I mean, this thing is still like 4 months out, so i really hope at some point they'll show more footage about what these "upgrades", "enhancements" or "new content" actually is in detail.

That's a long time to hold your breath tho, so i'd advise against it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hopes: up.

Stop that. You're ruining yourself. I'm ready to hit your hand with a ruler.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Introducing "Chaos" "Occult" infusions, and now you can plus 15 all your normal gear using a new "ascension" method!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is there a way to disable or tone down the invader red/black coloring?

My googlie eyed, pig nosed, green skinned mutant is going to waste when all the detail is obscured by that coloring poo poo.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wear the Ring of the Living.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In case anyone's interested, there's a Famitsu interview with Dark Souls II director Yui Tanimura on Scholar of the First Sin. Unfortunately I don't know Japanese, so I was forced to Google translate it. From what I understand (which might well be wrong, again: I machine-translated it) the only graphical improvement Tanimura talks about concerns the game's resolution.

He also mentions that item and enemy placement is going to be changed, that some enemies might get new moves, and that they're relaxing the "movement restrictions" on some of them, which I assume means the leashing won't be as strict.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it looks like there's a lot more upgrades than just resolution from the trailer they put out, especially considering they're making a DX11 update

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest the trailer looked more or less like the current PC version to me, minus a few additions like godrays, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Care to point out anything?

EDIT: Also, obviously Tanimura might have decided to only talk about resolution because that was what he considered the most important upgrade. I never meant to imply it's going to be the only thing they'll change, graphic-wise.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cardboard Box posted:

especially considering they're making a DX11 update
For all we know right now that could just be some postfx Bloom / HDR / Godrays / DoF / HBAO passes, like DSfix or GeDoSaTo. Are there any screenshots of what you're referring to?

The only things from the trailer that look new-ish to me are the shot at 0:58 (Nito on a bad-hair-day?) and the location of the drake at 1:07 (looks like dragon shrine?).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm not expecting a complete graphical overhaul, like judging from the trailer it's some fancier lighting and depth of field and motion blur. there may be DX11 specific effects like tesselation but who can say?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I only PVP once in a blue moon in spurts. I finally had a day where I was the one doing all the parries. Has the PVP community gotten more relaxed or am I actually getting better? Or perhaps because my new character is in NG where parries aren't really worth the risk when the reward is much less.

I've been running the Butcher's knife, shortsword, and parrying dagger.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In case anyone's interested, there's a Famitsu interview with Dark Souls II director Yui Tanimura on Scholar of the First Sin. Unfortunately I don't know Japanese, so I was forced to Google translate it. From what I understand (which might well be wrong, again: I machine-translated it) the only graphical improvement Tanimura talks about concerns the game's resolution.

He also mentions that item and enemy placement is going to be changed, that some enemies might get new moves, and that they're relaxing the "movement restrictions" on some of them, which I assume means the leashing won't be as strict.

Also, it looks like they're getting rid of the NG/NG+ matchmaking pool (or 'first/second lap' as Google Translate calls it), and I definitely see a mention of changing Soul Memory in there. Hopefully it's a total overhaul of the system rather than just more tiers :effort: There also seems to be something about changing 'contract rewards' in multiplayer. I assume that means invasion/covenant rewards? Seems interesting regardless.

Enemies appear to be getting a total overhaul, not only in placement and amount, but actual moveset and combat changes. Another interesting aside is that the lighting system may actually be restored, as there is a line about 'eye amount of information in such a dark place'. Finally, save data transfer from older versions is confirmed.

e: this is poetry:

Tanimura: the resolution is increased, because the image quality is also the amount of information not only well increase, I sense of the search is to little or changed. You can become easier to observe what is far away, I am so on can see a detailed part of the gay. "This guy, I can consider cute......" or There are like a feel enemy (laughs). Increasingly enters the eye amount of information in such a dark place, I think the play feeling and sense of realism also come quite different. For example, such as situations that surrounded and Walla Walla to flock of spider in pyroxene Street Jerudora, I have changed the image by machine spec is improved.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 29, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alabaster White posted:

Also, it looks like they're getting rid of the NG/NG+ matchmaking pool (or 'first/second lap' as Google Translate calls it)

Reach NG99+ and you get the Victory Lap.
You are invincible, and you get all items at max reinforcement and copies of them in all infusions.

The entire soundtrack is replaced with the chariots of fire song.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alabaster White posted:

Also, it looks like they're getting rid of the NG/NG+ matchmaking pool (or 'first/second lap' as Google Translate calls it), and I definitely see a mention of changing Soul Memory in there. Hopefully it's a total overhaul of the system rather than just more tiers :effort: There also seems to be something about changing 'contract rewards' in multiplayer. I assume that means invasion/covenant rewards? Seems interesting regardless.
They're probably reducing the amount of wins needed for BoB/FunCops or maybe removing the need to burn tokens for FunCop sparring.

quote:

Tanimura: the resolution is increased, because the image quality is also the amount of information not only well increase, I sense of the search is to little or changed. You can become easier to observe what is far away, I am so on can see a detailed part of the gay. "This guy, I can consider cute......" or There are like a feel enemy (laughs). Increasingly enters the eye amount of information in such a dark place, I think the play feeling and sense of realism also come quite different. For example, such as situations that surrounded and Walla Walla to flock of spider in pyroxene Street Jerudora, I have changed the image by machine spec is improved.
Maybe this means that distant enemies won't have that low-framerate-animation-but-smooth-position-change thing they currently do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

You can become easier to observe what is far away, I am so on can see a detailed part of the gay. "This guy, I can consider cute......" or There are like a feel enemy (laughs).

i'm gonna need a proper translation of this

that's good to hear about character data transfer, i wouldn't have really minded having to play through NG over again but it wouldn't have been preferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can fall in love with the gonad undead in the Shaded Woods from a farther-away draw distance than ever!