Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
The guy put my entire order through manually but gave me a 40mm watch instead of 44mm uhggghadfjgadsfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
There aren't any indications of supply issues yet, everyone seems to have gotten what they wanted afaik. I haven't heard of anything going out of stock yet. They probably really will be at your home by the 21st.

Possibly a day or two early depending on if you happen to get lucky with delivery logistics. In that sense, you could easily have it before people who are picking up in-store.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has anyone used Apple's GiveBack program? I have an ancient 5s and my S0 watch I wanna throw at them cause I don't think it's worth the hassle to sell those devices. The keynote speaker made it seem like the price they quote you was either all or nothing, like she said (paraphrasing) "if we can use it, we pay you, and if not, we recycle it." Tbh I'd rather keep the 5s if they're going to find something wrong with it and not pay me for it.

Taima posted:

There aren't any indications of supply issues yet, everyone seems to have gotten what they wanted afaik. I haven't heard of anything going out of stock yet. They probably really will be at your home by the 21st.

Possibly a day or two early depending on if you happen to get lucky with delivery logistics. In that sense, you could easily have it before people who are picking up in-store.

It would be inconvenient if they delivered it early ie Wednesday/Thursday cause I have meetings throughout those days and I can't work from home for them :argh:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 14, 2018

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has anyone used Apple's GiveBack program? I have an ancient 5s and my S0 watch I wanna throw at them cause I don't think it's worth the hassle to sell those devices. The keynote speaker made it seem like the price they quote you was either all or nothing, like she said (paraphrasing) "if we can use it, we pay you, and if not, we recycle it." Tbh I'd rather keep the 5s if they're going to find something wrong with it and not pay me for it.

Check the value on the Apple trade in site. My S3 watch would get me $175.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TyrantWD posted:

Check the value on the Apple trade in site. My S3 watch would get me $175.

If that's the same GiveBack program then it's telling me my S0 is worth €45 and my 5s is worth €25 (6s is €80, which I think I could sell for roughly twice that if I bothered maybe). It's just that if they found an unacceptable ding on the casing would they take it off the value and still pay me at least some amount or would it just be chucked into the recycling bin and I get nothing out of it? The keynote speaker made it seem like it was all or nothing, and if it's nothing I would rather just keep them.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If you travel with a phone and don’t have theft insurance... then get the Uber Visa card because the insurance is free (but capped at $600 per claim). But even then, it’s useful to have a working phone you don’t give a poo poo about when going abroad.

I had a random Galaxy S5 that I occasionally used and just got $100 for it through Verizon which is sweet. I broke my own rule of only upgrading Apple products when it really mattered (LTE, new connector, etc...) but I also feel like I read a poo poo ton on my phone and the better and bigger screen will help.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like some carriers are offering $630-$700 credit for iPhone X. That’s a better deal at this point than staying on the AUP wheel which depreciates the phone 50%.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I’ve seen a lot of iPhone launches here on SA, and this one is definitely the most tepid I’ve ever seen.

I’m not going to lie - I hope Apple’s strategy of escalating their phone MSRPs bites them hard in the rear end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I had color regret and canceled the gold, went to black and crosses my fingers on getting it release day.

Looks like either the demand isn't as great as last year or they really upped their supply-chain volume. I got the Space Grey with a scheduled pick-up on the 21st. I was also able to get the unlocked version on the web store, as opposed to the Store App which didn't give me a choice earlier.

Jealous Cow posted:

It looks like some carriers are offering $630-$700 credit for iPhone X. That’s a better deal at this point than staying on the AUP wheel which depreciates the phone 50%.

I got $400 from Apple for my 8plus

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess there wasn't a fire sale overnight, got a solid night of sleep and tapped the Pre-order button when I got up and was eating breakfast, Apple said sure thing no problems buddy.

Cue headlines about Apple failing and no one wants their phone anymore and they are literally out of business already.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I’ve been thinking about the new iPhone pricings, which as everyone has noticed is simply higher than prior iPhones, and obviously so.

The more I think about it, the more I think Apple probably factored upcoming tariffs into their price points. They aren’t a company to say “we’re raising price because of trade,” but they def are a company that would do so, and given that they basically set their prices once a year, this was the time to do it.

FCKGW posted:

I watched this whole david blane filled keynote live my friend
I was there for when sprint hyped up this event as their iPhone Killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxV1gFIrSo

This is way late, but I remember watching that video, to be there live would have been ridiculous.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Ha, yeah. I feel like an idiot for waking up at 3am to order one of these suckers. First time I’ve ever bought on launch day so I didn’t want to chance it but it looks like Verizon is still saying expected delivery 7/21 this morning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure Apple flat out said tariffs would make new stuff more expensive a couple weeks ago. Or maybe it was speculators saying it, I only glanced at headlines. But someone said it!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

bobfather posted:

I’ve seen a lot of iPhone launches here on SA, and this one is definitely the most tepid I’ve ever seen.

I’m not going to lie - I hope Apple’s strategy of escalating their phone MSRPs bites them hard in the rear end.

Yeah for the X I’m pretty sure there were like 200 2am posts, now there’s like 10 of us.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Isn't that just how S cycles go? Plus I think no home button is still very polarizing and there's probably still people very happy with there 7 or 8s

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

KidDynamite posted:

Isn't that just how S cycles go? Plus I think no home button is still very polarizing and there's probably still people very happy with there 7 or 8s

Maybe, but the S cycle definitely doesn’t exist anymore.

The 7 did not have one. The 8 does not have one. There is a phone called the Xs, but Apple have no previous history of offering an S phone for sale without also offering the accompanying non-S phone for sale at the same time.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Got my phone. It's weird, I had to get it shipped to my house because the in store pickup became unavailable instantly

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah for the X I’m pretty sure there were like 200 2am posts, now there’s like 10 of us.

X was pretty hyped up at the time, sold at a later date than the 8’s, and was reported to have production/supply issues so they were going to be hard to find. This is just the X but slightly better. S series upgrades have never had the “wow” factor and they’ve been stocking up on them for a while, I’m guessing. Only difference this year is the huge phone which further dilutes the pool of who wants what. Plus there’s bound to be a poo poo ton of people who correctly go “wow this phone is stupid expensive, gently caress that” and are just waiting for the slightly-less stupid expensive Xr.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

On the iPhone X, if you hold the power and volume keys together (as if to turn it off), it will require a passcode to get back in. But if you do that while recording a voice memo, the voice memo will end. Is there a way to start a recording which will continue after switching to require-passcode mode?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bobfather posted:

The 7 did not have one. The 8 does not have one. There is a phone called the Xs, but Apple have no previous history of offering an S phone for sale without also offering the accompanying non-S phone for sale at the same time.

The 8 is the 7S cycle. They just gave it a different name. And the X was a non-s phone available at the same time. Unless we are splitting hairs over names then you're correct.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

So I’ve been thinking about the new iPhone pricings, which as everyone has noticed is simply higher than prior iPhones, and obviously so.

The more I think about it, the more I think Apple probably factored upcoming tariffs into their price points. They aren’t a company to say “we’re raising price because of trade,” but they def are a company that would do so, and given that they basically set their prices once a year, this was the time to do it.

This is way late, but I remember watching that video, to be there live would have been ridiculous.
It isn't really higher than last years pricing though?

The X and the XS have the same pricing structure, the XS Max is $100 more which is actually lower than the Plus premium on the 7 when it launched ($120)

The XR is more expensive than the 8 was but only by $50 which isn't too surprising since it is using the form factor of the more expensive X.

:capitalism: more than tariffs

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bobfather posted:

the 8 was arguably the 7s with a different naming scheme. there's a literal Xs and if memory serves they discontinued the 5 in favor of the 5c when the 5S came out.

so i'd argue that there is a history.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Unless you care about getting the latest and greatest, and you already have a X I don't think this phone is for you. It's more for the people with a pre-8 or who were holding out on the X because it seemed like a prototype.

Very excited for my big phone.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Over There posted:

Unless you care about getting the latest and greatest, and you already have a X I don't think this phone is for you. It's more for the people with a pre-8 or who were holding out on the X because it seemed like a prototype.

I’m going from an X to big phone with the upgrade program. I’m also excited. I love giant phone.

I got my wife an XS to replace her X just so she didn’t feel left out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the 8 was arguably the 7s with a different naming scheme. there's a literal Xs and if memory serves they discontinued the 5 in favor of the 5c when the 5S came out.

so i'd argue that there is a history.
All of this is correct, and it's also worth noting that the 8/8+ still use the same internals as the X, so at least in terms of capability, there's no generation gap. Presumably they're at or near capacity on screen manufacturing, and don't want to keep making them for an older phone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Over There posted:

A good chunk of people here were clamoring for a larger X when it came out, so I think that's a realistic upgrade segment.

If apple is giving $750 for a X trade in it's tempting just to keep the cost of a resale up for next year, but I'm too lazy to go through all that work.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I ordered an Xs Maxxx and hopefully I'll get a good enough price flipping my 8 Plus Special Crack in the back case because I dropped it Edition that the out of pocket will only be a hundred or so AUD.

Apple really needs to fix their loving naming convention for these things, it's just sad now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They called it the XS Max because that's how you live life if you buy one lmao

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
Something is definitely different about the supply this time. My last three upgrades were all through the Apple Store app, and all made at like 745am EST on my commute to work. All three times (5s, 6s and 8, all black and all the middle tier of storage) I got a launch day appointment to pick up at a NYC area store (once at 14th Street, twice at Grand Central).

This time, I happened to wake up at 345am, so I hopped on to preorder my Xs (Black, 256GB). And at that time, 45 minutes after preorders started, all NYC area stores had no more pickup appointments and my estimated ship window is “1-2 weeks” (delivery by Sept 28-Oct 5). At first I thought the in store pickup system was just broken because every NYC store was “unavailable”, but the LI stores had times I could select, and the option was still working for the Apple Watch Series 4.

So I dunno if they’re expecting constraints or I just picked an exceptionally popular model this time, but something is definitely different about this round of preorders.

Edit: Also, I've been part of the iPhone Upgrade Program since it started, and I did the pre-auth thing and selected my options ahead of time.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Model Camper posted:

Something is definitely different about the supply this time. My last three upgrades were all through the Apple Store app, and all made at like 745am EST on my commute to work. All three times (5s, 6s and 8, all black and all the middle tier of storage) I got a launch day appointment to pick up at a NYC area store (once at 14th Street, twice at Grand Central).

This time, I happened to wake up at 345am, so I hopped on to preorder my Xs (Black, 256GB). And at that time, 45 minutes after preorders started, all NYC area stores had no more pickup appointments and my estimated ship window is “1-2 weeks” (delivery by Sept 28-Oct 5). At first I thought the in store pickup system was just broken because every NYC store was “unavailable”, but the LI stores had times I could select, and the option was still working for the Apple Watch Series 4.

So I dunno if they’re expecting constraints or I just picked an exceptionally popular model this time, but something is definitely different about this round of preorders.

Edit: Also, I've been part of the iPhone Upgrade Program since it started, and I did the pre-auth thing and selected my options ahead of time.

I asked about it and it depends on your carrier. Verizon phones were gone almost immediately, while unlocked phones in the Apple store were still available as of this morning.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Over There posted:

I asked about it and it depends on your carrier. Verizon phones were gone almost immediately, while unlocked phones in the Apple store were still available as of this morning.

Huh, interesting. I’m on AT&T. And you’re right, I see the unlocked ones still have Friday, Sept 21 delivery available.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The iPhone SE has been removed from Apple's website. Press F to pay respects...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My order last night says action required, but when I called the number they said nothing is wrong.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Since I have been on Android for 4 years, I need to order at least 2 more lightning cables. What company makes the go-to cheap cable these days that won't cause your iPhone to throw errors about it not being an official cable?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

64bit_Dophins posted:

The iPhone SE has been removed from Apple's website. Press F to pay respects...

I have fallen asleep on my F key since the Apple Event. I was really looking forward to an SE replacement. I did enough mental gymnastics to justify the XR as being an "okay" replacement and being fine with an LCD screen until I realized that the XR was bigger than the XS.

The XS is too big for my small manchild hands. My SE screen broke about a month or two ago, dust has gotten stuck behind the lens of the camera so it is trash. I want a full replacement phone. This sucks. Didn't bother pre-ordering and still don't have a plan.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

nerox posted:

Since I have been on Android for 4 years, I need to order at least 2 more lightning cables. What company makes the go-to cheap cable these days that won't cause your iPhone to throw errors about it not being an official cable?

Amazon Basics have done my cable needs right for the last several years.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Amazon Basics have done my cable needs right for the last several years.
:same:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Finally upgrading the 6S to an XS. I actually think it feels like a pretty worthwhile bump.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nerox posted:

Amazon Basics/ Anker/ Monoprice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like iPhone X is $899 at most retailers now. Wondering if that will drop any more before they’re shipped back.