Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Note that the Pixel 2 will likely launch next month.

Well, one week from tomorrow actually (at least announcement and ordering that is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thermopyle posted:

Samsung doesn't have a track record of exploding phones. LG has a long track record of bootlooping phones.

All of the 808/810 generation, which was now two years ago. And since people managed to fix it by disabling cores it seems to be a problem of this Snapdragon version and LG's implementation.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Decius posted:

All of the 808/810 generation, which was now two years ago. And since people managed to fix it by disabling cores it seems to be a problem of this Snapdragon version and LG's implementation.

The v20 has the same problem

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

It's a different problem with the same symptoms, you see, because

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I picked up a Moto E4...this thing is shockingly solid. Haven't taken pictures yet, but performance and battery seem great so far. Fingerprint sensor has been flawless. It's $40 from Walmart (or price matched at Target or wherever) for the Verizon prepaid version, and an unlock code is $2 on eBay and let's you use it on T-Mobile or AT&T. If anyone is still holding onto a Nexus 5 or bootlooping 5X or 6P and wants to wait for Pixel 2 availability or Pixel 1 price drops, this is a super cheap option to tide you over, and/or maybe make you rethink spending so much. (I'm still going to buy a Pixel 2 because I'm an idiot!)

Does it have a compass? I know Motorola likes to leave out poo poo like that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e4-8721.php

Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't appear there so no wich is kind of stupid but hey.

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero

RVProfootballer posted:

I picked up a Moto E4...this thing is shockingly solid. Haven't taken pictures yet, but performance and battery seem great so far. Fingerprint sensor has been flawless. It's $40 from Walmart (or price matched at Target or wherever) for the Verizon prepaid version, and an unlock code is $2 on eBay and let's you use it on T-Mobile or AT&T. If anyone is still holding onto a Nexus 5 or bootlooping 5X or 6P and wants to wait for Pixel 2 availability or Pixel 1 price drops, this is a super cheap option to tide you over, and/or maybe make you rethink spending so much. (I'm still going to buy a Pixel 2 because I'm an idiot!)

Anyone know if it would be possible to buy this from Walmart then have Tracphone send a simcard and activate it on their service? Would I also need an ebay unlock code? I think Tracphone uses Verizon towers.

My Dad barley uses his cell and has a flip phone with Tracphone minutes right now. This would be nice to let him try a smartphone but stay on Tracfone with his current number and minutes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Qualcomm suuuucks, it's totally possible the issue is still present in the 820+ chips.

God I wish all their competitors weren't in-house-use-only.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 27, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MikeJF posted:

Qualcomm suuuucks, it's totally possible the issue is still present in the 820+ chips.

God I wish all their competitors weren't in-house-use-only.

There's always Mediatek!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

:woop:

I assume that the company that would be genuinely closest to reaching the point they could properly compete, Exynos and Apple aside, would be NVIDIA; would that be accurate? Although they seem to have lost enthusiasm lately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

:woop:

I assume that the company that would be genuinely closest to reaching the point they could properly compete, Exynos and Apple aside, would be NVIDIA; would that be accurate? Although they seem to have lost enthusiasm lately.

When Nvidia did make mobile SoCs they were astoundingly terrible. How do you not remember the LG G2x, the first LG to require a class action suit to remedy? The cause? Well, that would've been the Nvidia Tegra2.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
"A source" is claiming that the Pixel XL 2 will have stereo front-facing speakers.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vykk.Draygo posted:

"A source" is claiming that the Pixel XL 2 will have stereo front-facing speakers.

I feel like this isn't the first time that rumor has popped up. Which is good because that's one of the changes I wanted from the pixel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

When Nvidia did make mobile SoCs they were astoundingly terrible. How do you not remember the LG G2x, the first LG to require a class action suit to remedy? The cause? Well, that would've been the Nvidia Tegra2.
They do alright now when they use off-the-shelf cores and don’t attempt their Project Denver dynamic recompilation garbage. The non-Denver version of Tegra K1 was pretty good, as is the Tegra X1. They’re both a bit dated now though. The newest Tegras (X2 and Xavier) seem to be emphasizing consumer applications less, and I’m not sure what Nvidia’s strategy with that division is now. Yeah they’d still work in something like a phone, but it looks like they’re pushing hard to cash in on the deep learning coprocessor market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They do alright now when they use off-the-shelf cores and don’t attempt their Project Denver dynamic recompilation garbage. The non-Denver version of Tegra K1 was pretty good, as is the Tegra X1. They’re both a bit dated now though. The newest Tegras (X2 and Xavier) seem to be emphasizing consumer applications less, and I’m not sure what Nvidia’s strategy with that division is now. Yeah they’d still work in something like a phone, but it looks like they’re pushing hard to cash in on the deep learning coprocessor market.

Yes, they abandoned the mobile market and their focus is on car infotainment systems and self-driving systems.

I feel this is likely due to mobile data. Very few can compete with Qualcomm when it comes to LTE modems. If you are an android manufacturer and want a premium SoC, you are more likely to choose a SoC with an integrated LTE modem than chose another SoC with marginal gains and have to package a separate LTE modem.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 27, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I forgot about the Tegra 2; they came to mind because I have a Shield vK1 and it's been pretty drat trusty.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The chip in the Switch seems pretty solid. It's even the same quad-A57+quad-A53 arrangement as the 810, proving that it can be done without being a thermal/performance disaster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Theris posted:

The chip in the Switch seems pretty solid. It's even the same quad-A57+quad-A53 arrangement as the 810, proving that it can be done without being a thermal/performance disaster.

The Switch is just a slightly customized X1 (disabled the A53 cores), the Google Pixel C and the Nivida ShieldTV also uses the X1. It still holds its own for 3d performance against the latest Qualcomm offerings, but it's not a great choice for small devices that need mobile data nor is it terribly power efficient.

Nvidia's secret sauce has always been 3d performance and there really isn't much demand for 3d performance beyond what qualcomm provides right now. Otherwise you just have off the shelf ARM cores on an outdated manufacturing process.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Theris posted:

Actually, it's not LITTLE.big like the 810. It presents itself as a quad-core processor and changes from running on the A53s to the A57s depending on load.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Project Denver was so incredibly stupid. My Nexus 9 was blazingly fast one moment only to feel like molasses a second later. Why did they ever think the whole thing was a good idea? The Pixel C on the other hand still works really well, as does the Switch (although I wish Nintendo had sprung for the next gen version, Switch versions are a pretty big step down compared to the PC version and console versions at times).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Refurbished Pixels on sale at Woot again

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Decius posted:

Project Denver was so incredibly stupid. My Nexus 9 was blazingly fast one moment only to feel like molasses a second later. Why did they ever think the whole thing was a good idea? The Pixel C on the other hand still works really well, as does the Switch (although I wish Nintendo had sprung for the next gen version, Switch versions are a pretty big step down compared to the PC version and console versions at times).

Wasn't Denver the way it was because it was originally meant to be able to run x86 and ARM, but they ran afoul of Intel's patents and had to cut the x86 plans?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't Denver the way it was because it was originally meant to be able to run x86 and ARM, but they ran afoul of Intel's patents and had to cut the x86 plans?
It was bad because it was a lovely idea.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kensei posted:

Refurbished Pixels on sale at Woot again

What do they mean by "Verizon and GSM unlocked"? which is it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Guillermus posted:

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e4-8721.php

Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't appear there so no wich is kind of stupid but hey.

I think it does, actually. It has a magnetometer, and a random free compass app off the Playstore was able to detect the direction I was pointing and showed signal from the magnetometer. I don't know if it's handicapped compared to the sensor used in other phones in some way, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's unlocked for use on GSM network, and also unlocked for use on Verizon. Why do you think it's enough either or?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

RVProfootballer posted:

It's unlocked for use on GSM network, and also unlocked for use on Verizon. Why do you think it's enough either or?

ah yeah. Sorry, in Europe where we only use GSM so I wasnt thinking about the GSM vs CDMA thing. Thanks!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Is it the Verizon model with locked bootloader?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The lovely "unlocked" LG G5 that I was sent as a warranty replacement for a dead 5X is loving me over once again. I gave it to my dad to be used as a travel phone while he's in Europe, and it's refusing to pick up any local data service.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Decius posted:

Switch (although I wish Nintendo had sprung for the next gen version, Switch versions are a pretty big step down compared to the PC version and console versions at times).

X2 is Denver2, so be careful what you wish for.

It's unclear how much of an advantage the Pascal graphics would have had over the Maxwell in the X1.

Clock for clock, Pascal is pretty similar to Maxwell though the 16nm FinFET process might have allowed for higher clocks before thermal throttling.

That said, the X1 is very well understood and supported by Nvidia for this specific purpose (gaming) so the X2 may have been more of a liability.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blue Train posted:

And the G5, too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

X2 is Denver2, so be careful what you wish for.
Just 2 cores and they’d probably have been disabled like the A53 cores in the Switch. Both the X1 and X2 are still quad-core A57 parts. At that point you’re really only getting a GPU upgrade though if they’d gone with the X2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel trade in values are now known and pretty drat decent even compared to resale.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/27/google-store-pixel-trade-in-value/

$350 for 32gb Pixel, $360 for 128.

$400 for 32 gb XL, $410 for 128.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

bull3964 posted:

Pixel trade in values are now known and pretty drat decent even compared to resale.

Pixel 2 just became way more likely for me. I've only had my pixel for a few months but getting a Pixel 2 for $299 after trade-in would be amazing.

quote:

Buy Pixel 2 (64GB), trade-in Pixel (32GB): $649 (Pixel 2) – $350 (Pixel) = $299
Buy Pixel 2 XL (64GB), trade-in Pixel XL (32GB): $849 (Pixel 2 XL) – $400 (Pixel XL) = $449

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Essential has sold just 5,000 phones since launch: BayStreet

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

Not supporting the core security features of your own email platform in WP at launch was the most mind numbingly stupid move in existence which basically handed all RIM market share to iOS.

this was so loving boneheaded I can't figure it out to this day. they had it all there. they had/have near complete dominance in business which was clamoring for a way to bridge mobile and business together and they just went 'lol nope but look live tiles!'

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this was so loving boneheaded I can't figure it out to this day. they had it all there. they had/have near complete dominance in business which was clamoring for a way to bridge mobile and business together and they just went 'lol nope but look live tiles!'

A friend of mine worked at Microsoft and summed up his experiences over drinks once as "constant turf wars, meetings and groupthink". He complained a few times at how disconnected the internal thinking about Microsoft products was from its consumers. He hung around for awhile due to great salaries and benefits but ended up leaving because he felt like nothing ever got done in his division (not mobile).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's higher than I thought it would be. I was expecting instant catastrophic failure.

To put it in perspective Apple sells 30,000 iPhones per hour.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

That's higher than I thought it would be. I was expecting instant catastrophic failure.

To put it in perspective Apple sells 30,000 iPhones per hour.

What would you call 5,000 phones in a month if not instant catastrophic failure??

bull3964 posted:

This owns, though. Compare: Galaxy S7 is currently available for $200-240 on Swappa, depending on carrier model, and iPhone 7 is around $400-450. So not quite to iPhone levels, but surprisingly close.

Edit: huh, didn't realize S8 has been out so long (April!). Was just trying to compare to last year's flagships from the companies that matter, but that isn't quite fair when S7 is half a year older than the other flagships.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress google why you gently caress canada all the time, gently caress! Let me trade-in!!!!!!