Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there was that controversy not too long ago in the NYC area about these cards that cops were giving out for getting out of tickets and how the system was being completely abused.

Also family members and friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
El oh El, the police force is worse than having a literal Mob running an area.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

So the Cincinnati Zoo just got a new baby rhino

https://twitter.com/CincinnatiZoo/status/1043530777244385280

How... majestic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

El oh El, the police force is worse than having a literal Mob running an area.

They're the biggest gang in America

Imagine any other organized crime in every state and how the untouchables would get called in except not

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

How... majestic.

People need to stop sticking googly eyes on everything!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Former DILF posted:

lmao shut up binch

-> sghfdvc <-

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IIRC there was that controversy not too long ago in the NYC area about these cards that cops were giving out for getting out of tickets and how the system was being completely abused.
There's no way to do that without abusing it. It existing in the first place is abuse. :psyduck:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

There's no way to do that without abusing it. It existing in the first place is abuse. :psyduck:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/police-union-slashes-number-of-get-out-of-jail-free-cards-issued/

The whole article is kind of magical

quote:

The city’s police-officers union is cracking down on the number of “get out of jail free” courtesy cards distributed to cops to give to family and friends.

Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association boss Pat Lynch slashed the maximum number of cards that could be issued to current cops from 30 to 20, and to retirees from 20 to 10, sources told The Post.

The cards are often used to wiggle out of minor trouble such as speeding tickets, the theory being that presenting one suggests you know someone in the NYPD.

The rank and file is livid.

“They are treating active members like s–t, and retired members even worse than s–t,” griped an NYPD cop who retired on disability. “All the cops I spoke to were . . . very disappointed they couldn’t hand them out as Christmas gifts.”

A source said Lynch ordered the cutback to stop the sale of the cards, which were being hawked on eBay last week for as much as $200.

The PBA and the NYPD declined comment.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
can you guys stop talking about cops and focus on the sentence "Wife, I am beshit"

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

can you guys stop talking about cops and focus on the sentence "Wife, I am beshit"

It's not on topic. Melania sleeps in a different room.

EDIT: Oops, forgot which forum I was in. Letting it stand, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its a translation i think but it feels true and right

Wife -- i am en-shittened
now wife; emma get shitted up
etc

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Something like 12-15 years ago I did some video editing work for one of my city's Emergency Response Team snipers and he gave me a card and said "this won't get you out of a speeding ticket, but if you ever get into real trouble or need special police attention, give it to the responding officer". It's still in my wallet but I have no idea if it would still work.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dillbag posted:

Something like 12-15 years ago I did some video editing work for one of my city's Emergency Response Team snipers and he gave me a card and said "this won't get you out of a speeding ticket, but if you ever get into real trouble or need special police attention, give it to the responding officer". It's still in my wallet but I have no idea if it would still work.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dogg thats not a very sanguine "attack" (dropping armfuls of garbage on the floor is ballerz[/q]

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Killing Cops is Self Defense

fujck you fight me

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Dillbag posted:

So it wont get you out of a speeding ticket but if you need to move a body....?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ak Gara posted:

So it wont get you out of a speeding ticket but if you need to move a body....?

NO, but they'll have to, conveniently, inspect the card for 10 minutes in the car, facing away from you.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The more I thought about it the more I think it probably wouldn't do anything and was just a way to appease me for not getting paid (it was a favor for my boss because the guy was on his hockey team or some poo poo).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dillbag posted:

Pictured, Dillbag:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fart City posted:

How... majestic.
No wonder this species isn't having enough babies to sustain its population. They're trying to slip into extinction with some quiet dignity, but humans keep making them produce those.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Chard posted:

Killing Cops is Self Defense

fujck you fight me

nah you're right there, kill all cops before they kill you

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe if this person stopped giving their money to the mob they could change their car more than one every 19 years

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It is still shocking to me that the general public doesn’t know about courtesy shields. I thought everyone knew about them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gynocentric Regime posted:

It is still shocking to me that the general public doesn’t know about courtesy shields. I thought everyone knew about them.

If the average American doesn't have one or doesn't personally know someone who has one, how are they going to find out about them (or any horrible thing)? If the media does a piece on them they'll just think it's fake news and one of them false flags or something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wait those are official things, not just silly merch?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Wait those are official things, not just silly merch?

No, they're not official things. You buy them online or at police supply stores. The fancier ones are miniature versions of badges with your son's or husbands or friends badge number on it, alongside the PBA card with their signature. Having a PBA card might get you out of a ticket (might - it's up to the officer's discretion, what the traffic infraction was, etc) but it wont get you out of serious trouble.

shwag
Apr 23, 2008

Pararoid posted:

This seems loving insane to me. I actually had to Google this to see if something so blatant was actually real.

It's a real thing for sure, I grew up in Houston and people constantly were on the fence about them. Some people got them and drove normal, while others blatantly drove like psychos and magically never got pulled over. It always seemed most people who had them were either middle aged soccer moms or very very old people who should probably not be driving anyway.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I haven't owned a car for years, but in my first two cars I got pulled over and ticketed more than a few times as a teenager / early 20-something. Then I bought a used car that had a police union sticker in the rear driver side window (where it would be obvious to anyone that was standing outside the driver's door) and while I was pulled over a few times, I never received a ticket for anything in that car. Anecdotal, I know, but I always found it a bit skeezy, though I never removed it.

I don't know if it was corruption per se, but it was sure as hell bias of some form.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Krankenstyle posted:

seriously its super weird that this is even happening (also, historically, its p weird to call the united states a third world country when it really is).

how is paying to a police thing even visible, and how is it even necessary? in the real world the state pays pensions and wages...

capitalism eats the world by itself, theres no reason to support it

Get this: those same cops, if they stop you and deem you've committed a crime, can take anything you own that was "used in a crime". So they can keep your car, your phone, your clothes if they want.

It's almost like the police in America have become a mob syndicate but that's not possible, right?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

It's almost like the police in America have become a mob syndicate but that's not possible, right?

One might even say that they are the longest running mob syndicate in this country. They were kidnapping escaped slaves for years before Cosa Nostra sailed over.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I saved somebody’s life and he thanked me by giving me a coin that is a kind of currency for his secret society and if I ever needed him I just show the coin and some maxim and his society will help. Something about all men must die in this maxim.

Creeped me out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

If the average American doesn't have one or doesn't personally know someone who has one, how are they going to find out about them (or any horrible thing)? If the media does a piece on them they'll just think it's fake news and one of them false flags or something.

Yeah that makes sense but It’s been on like every police procedural in at least a few episodes. Also, it can do good. I had a BOP courtesy shield when my father was working at FMC Fort Worth. Kept me from getting caught in the forfeiture traps along I-10, especially in Louisiana where every out of state black person got pulled over.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Sep 23, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
can confirm about at least courtesy cards. not really a get out of jail free card, but they tend to call up the officer that gave you one and ask what your deal is and expect that officer to straighten you out rather than a chargeable infraction

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trabant posted:

Pictured, Dillbag:

*turns it over*

That's still amazingly high

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't get all the confusion about the "FOP" stickers. Cops like to feel respected. The sticker shows you "respect" them. Maybe that's enough for the cop that stops you to give you a warning once in a blue moon.

Unless you're a minority obviously. Kill whitey. gently caress the police. Full communism now, all that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My dad dated a woman who was a 911 dispatcher. She told this story about how she'd been speeding, she got pulled over for speeding, and she basically browbeat the cop into letting her go with a warning, because "do you really want to piss me off, I'm the one who decides where you go."

She told this story in terms of "look how clever I am" and I was faintly uncomfortable about it then, and this feeling has only grown over the years. I'm not aware of any cop-specific protection rackets (and I'm in Canada, so our police structure is slightly different anyway), but that doesn't mean they don't exist even unofficially.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Fart City posted:

How... majestic.

Oof, let's hope a kid climbs into this one's holding pen, amirite fellas??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009