Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he basically directly told people to try and raid the discord (which didn't work because they preemptively shut down admission and are doing vetting processes nowadays for entry, lmao)

also a lot of them were/are incensed that you can't join up with the putus templar, the literal crooked-spine troglodytes who obsess over genetic purity, even though you don't really even join up with factions in the game as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Johnny Joestar posted:

he basically directly told people to try and raid the discord (which didn't work because they preemptively shut down admission and are doing vetting processes nowadays for entry, lmao)

For context on what this means, the dude thought it'd be funny to show him getting banned from the discord so his video shows him joining it and getting banned for not being woke enough (zooming in on his last message being some banal 4chan trolling and ignoring the part where he was actually banned for spamming like 50 messages in a 5 minute period or something)

So he shows the discord, how to join it, and then misrepresents why they kicked him out as being some form of political censorship instead of literally just spamming until they banned him :v: Kinda funny considering the CoQ discord actually would ban him for lovely politics but I guess he didn't wanna be overtly and unrepentantly racist in his video so he had to make it look like they just react to people saying anything moderately questionable with an instant ban.

Anyway his lovely edgelord viewers still directly gave the CoQ developers a shitload of money because he did make the game look interesting to them, so lmao

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wow. Yikes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Where's that screencap of CoQ trending so hard it was only second to something like Hades in terms of sales? Was it a twitter link?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Put it on switch so I can buy it twice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I put CoQ on my macbook for when I travel in a few weeks, but I just cannot get used to the alternate movement scheme. I never learned VIM damnit :arghfist::(

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Junkie Disease posted:

would

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I put CoQ on my macbook for when I travel in a few weeks, but I just cannot get used to the alternate movement scheme. I never learned VIM damnit :arghfist::(

never a better time assuming you're okay with switching the rest of your roguelikes to use it after you're used to it

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

i've been playing ADOM for the first time lately and it's mildly infuriating not having vi bindings

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

When I have to play 8-way without numpads I usually bind arrows to NSEW and ctrl+arrows to the diagonals offset by one step clockwise or counterclockwise, works out ok

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I know when I had a MacBook I bought a plug in numpad and it was under $20. Definitely an option if it would open up more possibilities for you.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I ended up learning the vim keys because of how many roguelikes (and other games that need 8 directional grid movement like DROD) I played on a laptop. I managed to pick up the editor pretty easily years later because of it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Junkie Disease posted:

Unormal I'll cut you a sweet deal on my patented Tangledeep 360-way Arrowthentic Analogarithmic Adventure Apparatus.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Uh huh, make sure along with keyboard and mouse you add gyroscope aiming

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
just got sacrificed to the gods by an invisible stalker. literally did not see that coming. 5/5 would adom again

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

All this talk about Caves of Qud have made me interested in it, but I don't know how "old school" the game is (graphics aside, I guess). Like, is it actually accessible or is it more for deep roguelike fans? I'm basically saying I'm bad at roguelikes and have never completed TOME but like exploring and building characters and whatnot.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Qud's very deep but friendly to noobs. i think it's easier to parse than TOME and built more around exploration than Diablo style lootin-n-shootin

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It has deep systems but you can have as much fun as you want interacting with them superficially. It doesn't really demand a lot of system mastery to be enjoyable and engrossing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Also you can turn off permadeath if you want to explore the world without splatting your first 30 characters at Red Rock

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Space is a contextual action so you don't have to memorize 20 keys.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Space is a contextual action so you don't have to memorize 20 keys.

I remember arguing about this literal decades ago and having rogue grogs very angry at me for wanting better accessibility

... now I can get the same feeling with the company behind path of exile!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

victrix posted:

I remember arguing about this literal decades ago and having rogue grogs very angry at me for wanting better accessibility

... now I can get the same feeling with the company behind path of exile!

Qud's not even that bad about keyboard use compared to, for example, CDDA but it's still really nice to have

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Does everyone play Qud with permadeath off?I always die almost immediately when some monkeys throw rocks at me or something like that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ah Map posted:

Does everyone play Qud with permadeath off?I always die almost immediately when some monkeys throw rocks at me or something like that.

No but it's a great way to get into it and learn

The beginning is easily the hardest part for a newbie, and the mid game gotchas are more entertaining to learn/die to imo

I feel like qud has evolved past its origins at this point, adding save states is just visible acknowledgement of that reality

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I believe Qud recently added a few distinct game modes with checkpointing (i.e. autosaves) whenever you enter a friendly settlement.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I play with permadeath off always because I like to explore more than I like to work on my build or whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I play full permadeath because going into an area you've never explored before not really knowing what threats are waiting (beyond a general theme, maybe) is a rush. You can always make another character, and a full campaign run in CoQ is only like ~8 hours once you know what you're doing, maybe even less if you actually follow the XP curve "as intended" instead of playing it safe.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I also play Qud with permadeath on. The combat is fun and fair, and personally I find making the journey from level 1 wanderer to immoral moon-king with a dozen different builds to be the fun part - once I hit the point nothing can reasonably kill me I'm done with a character.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Junkie Disease posted:

Also pls put Dungeonmans on Switch

madjackmcmad posted:

Unormal I'll cut you a sweet deal on my patented Tangledeep 360-way Arrowthentic Analogarithmic Adventure Apparatus.

ahem :colbert:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Picked up Tangledeep on sale the other day. It's a blast on Switch! I managed to clear 12 floors on my second run. The pace of play feels unique among roguelikes, and it allows for slow, cautious play without a ton of downtime. The item dynamics and general economy are different from other RLs in a truly refreshing way. :yosnice:

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Obsidian Prince (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373260/Obsidian_Prince/) looks interesting (and cute).
It's the beginning of Early Access though, so it may not be extremely content rich.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Yesssss. I will be calling in this favor after 1.0. <3

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anyone played Legend of Keepers? Is it any good?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jack Trades posted:

I played a decent amount of it in EA. It’s reverse darkest dungeon where you are the evil, though it’s not nearly as hard. It looks pretty nice and is decently fun, at least for a while

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

I found it rather boring after a short time. I don't know why but I just lost interest.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah same. Game just feels pretty flat, there isn't really anything dynamic about it. Also for a game about running dungeons, it doesn't feel like that at all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it has a demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151080/Legend_of_Keepers_Prologue/

i played it for less than an hour.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Loddfafnir posted:

Obsidian Prince (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373260/Obsidian_Prince/) looks interesting (and cute).
It's the beginning of Early Access though, so it may not be extremely content rich.

I was looking for a new RL, so I decided to hop in. It's pretty fun so far. You're basically going through dungeons that consist of interlinked rooms (a la Darkest Dungeon, but from a top-down view), where each room is a classic bite-sized RL action. In each room you choose minor boons from a random selection from your deck, and you have additional boons randomly drawn from another deck. So one turn you might get energy from charge attack refunded, and the next turn your basic attacks do stun damage, so smart play is rewarded.

It's all pretty simple so far, but the boons require you to make small choices on each turn and the structure is quite more-ish.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Burning Rain posted:

I was looking for a new RL, so I decided to hop in. It's pretty fun so far. You're basically going through dungeons that consist of interlinked rooms (a la Darkest Dungeon, but from a top-down view), where each room is a classic bite-sized RL action. In each room you choose minor boons from a random selection from your deck, and you have additional boons randomly drawn from another deck. So one turn you might get energy from charge attack refunded, and the next turn your basic attacks do stun damage, so smart play is rewarded.

It's all pretty simple so far, but the boons require you to make mini-choices on each turn and the structure it's quite more-ish.

I'm enjoying it too. There is a strong one-last-dungeon-and-that's-it effect.

There is a lot of potential in the future, and the devs seem reactive. And the music is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Hempuli posted:

The monthly Noita Summit has just started; I'll be doing an interview regarding the game in 3 or so hours.
Watch it here: https://twitch.tv/nollagames

hempuli on now if you want to vent your frustrations at him