Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

It's just so fuckin... weird.
And it has nothing to do with The Big Lebowski, it's absolutely nothing like The Big Lebowski tonally. It's not particularly clever, it's bleak. The cynic in me says Turturro really wanted to adapt this book, and really wanted to reprise a fun (but incredibly minor) role, and thought he could get two birds stoned at once. Which he did, but not in a satisfying way at all. Also it suffers from Return Of The King syndrome in that it has like 5 endings. I watched it as a double feature with Lebowski, and it was funny seeing half the theatre hit their "ah gently caress it, this isn't going anywhere" moments all at different times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Never seemed realistic anyway that the undercover cop would stand out so much. I mean really, what is he doing as a gang member that’s so different than his real job?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How is undercover cops being painfully obvious still a thing in tv shows and movies? Haven't they watched any movie where they are setting up an arrest and seen how easy it is to spot the fed by looking for people talking into their wrist/touching their ear a bunch or repeating actions over and over while staring at the suspect? Just act normal, mess around on your phone, do random things, do anything but act like a cop.

We live in an era when drat near everyone is rambling away to themselves like a crazy homeless person because everyone has ear buds and headphone mics, yet undercover cops are still using hidden mics woven into their shirt collars and it's so stupid.

If you want to have your team in an area, just have them stand in a loose circle, pretty much ignoring each other and staring at their phones, while maybe two or three people in the group occasionally look up and speak a few words to each other.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Diet Poison posted:

It's just so fuckin... weird.
And it has nothing to do with The Big Lebowski, it's absolutely nothing like The Big Lebowski tonally. It's not particularly clever, it's bleak. The cynic in me says Turturro really wanted to adapt this book, and really wanted to reprise a fun (but incredibly minor) role, and thought he could get two birds stoned at once. Which he did, but not in a satisfying way at all. Also it suffers from Return Of The King syndrome in that it has like 5 endings. I watched it as a double feature with Lebowski, and it was funny seeing half the theatre hit their "ah gently caress it, this isn't going anywhere" moments all at different times.

I can’t imagine anyone I’d recommend Jesus Rolls to.

But I love Turtorro, just saw him in Rounders and Jon Hamm, loved him in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Canavale in Mr Robot and Susan Sarandon from anything.

Works good on paper.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Where's my Barton Fink spinoff god damnit!?!

The people demand more Fink!

For too long have we walked through the desert of Finklessness. Our lips dried and cracked as the ground we walk upon driven half-mad by our thirst for more Fink forever wandering through the scorched waste never finding respite longing for a day when we finally find salvation in a film where like the bell boy or the girl from the picture are the main character and it's not made by the Coens and has no real reason to exist. When that day comes there shall be much rejoicing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife has been on an SVU kick. I haven't seen Ice-T explain a single thing in days of watching.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Beachcomber posted:

My wife has been on an SVU kick. I haven't seen Ice-T explain a single thing in days of watching.

When he does, you will know. And you will see.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Why does holograms in every move look like poo poo, like the only movie that looks like the holograms were a benefit was in Detective Pikachu.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Why does holograms in every move look like poo poo, like the only movie that looks like the holograms were a benefit was in Detective Pikachu.

Because of Star Wars.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elfface posted:

It has also been a thing in the comics that Mega City Law is harsh and unforgiving for everyone, even the judges. Dredd isn't allowed to just shoot whoever he likes, and I vaguely recall a situation where a criminal got away by surrendering, then leaving when Dredd had to rescue his hostage from an automated trap. Another time Dredd took a dislike to a business (Cosmetic surgery to make you as ugly as possible) and spent time going over obscure laws until he found one the business was violating.

So, a weird quirk but somewhat in line with certain depictions of Mega City One

Dredd didn't "take a dislike" to the Ugly Clinics beyond them being the city's latest stupid fad and there was nothing illegal about them, but criminals were uglifying themselves to avoid recognition. In the end the Judges solved the problem by putting huge sales taxes on uglification products so that only rich people could afford them. That was always the thing with Otto Sump - he knew he owed everything he had to the Judges, so he always took more care than anyone to be law-abiding in his business, but in the end he always got shut down anyway.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jedit posted:

Dredd didn't "take a dislike" to the Ugly Clinics beyond them being the city's latest stupid fad and there was nothing illegal about them, but criminals were uglifying themselves to avoid recognition. In the end the Judges solved the problem by putting huge sales taxes on uglification products so that only rich people could afford them. That was always the thing with Otto Sump - he knew he owed everything he had to the Judges, so he always took more care than anyone to be law-abiding in his business, but in the end he always got shut down anyway.

Ah yes, the societal class well known to be free of criminals: the rich.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

The literature shows that rich people are significantly less likely to sleep under a bridge, beg in the street, or steal bread.

Triggered, libtard?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nth Doctor posted:

Rich people don't need to avoid the police.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They need to avoid the irs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

More like oldtaxless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oldpainless posted:

They need to avoid the irs

Nope. The irs prioritizes auditing the poor cause the rich have a billion lawyers and accountants and the irs doesn't have the resources to mess with that

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Never seemed realistic anyway that the undercover cop would stand out so much. I mean really, what is he doing as a gang member that’s so different than his real job?

"I think Johnny might be a cop. On the last bank job, he started shooting all the black hostages before the alarms went off."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sunswipe posted:

"I think Johnny might be a cop. On the last bank job, he started shooting all the black hostages before the alarms went off."

:drat:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom watches Gray's Anatomy like mad, and I've overheard one of the last episodes, and while I don't know the characters much, it blows my mind that the dude in question is one of the main characters and apparently one of the Good Guys? He abandons his wife for his ex, who used their frozen embryos to have twins, and she didn't tell him until the kids were like seven years old. So he leaves his job, his wife, sends people back home letters, begs them not to hate him or ask him to come home, because he will, but he loves these kids so much, so please don't ask him anything. I understand if the dude wanted off the show, but drat, this is Game of Thrones last season writing.

What are some good send-offs? I remember Two and a Half Men killed off Charlie Sheen asap, wasn't it a bus that ran him over?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought it was fitting that South Park killed off Chef in the dumbest, nastiest way possible, because apparently making fun of Scientology was a bridge too far for Isaac Hayes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Memento posted:

I thought it was fitting that South Park killed off Chef in the dumbest, nastiest way possible, because apparently making fun of Scientology was a bridge too far for Isaac Hayes.

It's more that it was a bridge too far for Scientology, from all accounts they forced Hayes to quit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom watches Gray's Anatomy like mad, and I've overheard one of the last episodes, and while I don't know the characters much, it blows my mind that the dude in question is one of the main characters and apparently one of the Good Guys? He abandons his wife for his ex, who used their frozen embryos to have twins, and she didn't tell him until the kids were like seven years old. So he leaves his job, his wife, sends people back home letters, begs them not to hate him or ask him to come home, because he will, but he loves these kids so much, so please don't ask him anything. I understand if the dude wanted off the show, but drat, this is Game of Thrones last season writing.

What are some good send-offs? I remember Two and a Half Men killed off Charlie Sheen asap, wasn't it a bus that ran him over?

I haven't watched GA since whatever season they killed off all the likable cast members in a plane crash but this makes me irrationally angry

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

The way I heard it he offscreen finally married his stalker, cheated on her within 24 hours, and she murdered him

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

He died off screen I think, but at the end of the series finale they reveal that he is actually alive and he walks up to his brother’s door, where a piano falls on him. Then the camera pans over to Chuck Lorre in a director’s chair, who says “Winning!” before he is crushed by a second piano.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

I dislike that show so much and all the women in my life love it. My wife was trying to explain that ‘good guy’ character leaving and I said he sounded like an rear end in a top hat, but she said “no, it’s actually romantic!”

If Netflix crashes during the Great Quarantine of 2020 at least it’ll take reruns of Gray’s with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more that it was a bridge too far for Scientology, from all accounts they forced Hayes to quit.

Yep, he had a stroke around when all that happened and Parker/Stone maintain that they didn’t believe he quit of his own free will or was even capable of it when he did.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
wait I haven't watched GA (a soap opera wherein the main character progresses the plot by making the worst possible decision at any given moment) for a few years, and I just looked up what this was and holy fuuuuck that is the stupidest plot point I've ever heard, even for that show

it's a shame that the first few seasons were semi-entertaining if you turned your brain off and ignored all the bits where you'd normally yell "THAT'S NOT HOW HOSPITALS WORK" at the TV, but goddamn it went off the rails pretty early on and never got less dumb

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hospital shows seemed like a whole genre, are they still a thing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i dont want no scrubs

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ann and Chris leaving P&R was well done imo, but they did have to force-rush them back into a couple for that so eh.

I doubt that show would hold up to a rewatch now, it's so optimistic and well we now live in double hellworld.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zedd posted:

Ann and Chris leaving P&R was well done imo, but they did have to force-rush them back into a couple for that so eh.

I doubt that show would hold up to a rewatch now, it's so optimistic and well we now live in double hellworld.

P&R holds up VERY badly politically. Joe Biden cameos in the pilot, iirc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The only new-ish popular one I know of is The Good Doctor with that guy from bates motel. It's OK I guess if you like to be drenched in sap and don't mind the typical magical super genius character like House but autistic instead of an addict.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the episode where after House is uncharacteristically empathetic towards an autistic kid, the docs start to theorise House might have Asperger's. (they were seperate diagnoses at the time, though acknowledged as Aspergers just being milder autism)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont want no scrubs

Scrubs is the only good hospital show.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Krispy Wafer posted:

:hai:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only new-ish popular one I know of is The Good Doctor with that guy from bates motel. It's OK I guess if you like to be drenched in sap and don't mind the typical magical super genius character like House but autistic instead of an addict.

Chicago Med is still going though I don't know how much of that relies on it being part of the rest of the Chicago shows and Law & Order

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
You are allowed to watch one hospital show and one lawyer show in your life. Choose wisely. I chose scrubs and ally mcbeal. Learn from me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Original law and order and whatever medical show is closest to the original law and order

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krispy Wafer posted:

Scrubs ain't no show for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Scrubs was fine. Like most shows it had a solid three seasons of material and then ran out of ideas.