Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dienes posted:

The trigger has now fallen off.

There is a learning curve.

Assuming you got a name brand one you should disassemble and reassemble it so you know how where each part goes and how to fix it. Don't wanna deal with a clog or a trigger that fell out in the middle of a painting session when you don't even know what you're looking to fix. I recommend watching something like Squidmar's airbrush video: https://youtu.be/EmvKgLTRFcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up the Rockguts. Great bunch of lads.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Winklebottom posted:

Finished up the Rockguts. Great bunch of lads.

That looks great. How did you do the skin color? It almost seems like it's glowing purple through the ribs.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Aniodia posted:

That looks great. How did you do the skin color? It almost seems like it's glowing purple through the ribs.

Thanks!

Base body color is VGC Royal Purple.

Most of the skin is Screamer Pink -> 75/25 Screamer Pink/Wild Rider Red, mixing progressively more Wild Rider into it until you like the look of the highlight

The belly is VGC Hexed Lichen, taking care to leave some Royal Purple showing between the ribs -> VGC Violet Red -> Violet Red + Pink Horror mix highlights

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Playing around with green stuff worlds borealis shimmer to add some sexy shine to my crons. I am not a great painter but I do like the contrast of colors between green and orange to make the crons look less boring and now with a mother of pearl shine :)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well that took way too long to paint one unit. But I learned a ton so I can't complain too much.

Need to get more light, I think the colour is a bit dull compared to how they actually appear.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up two more alien killing bad boys for my Deathwatch Fortis Kill-Team:

Just three more to go!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've gone this long without using spray primer, but I figured that painting the kill team Octarius terrain entirely with a brush is probably a dumb idea.

So what's a good brand/kind of spray primer to use? Ideally I would love silver/metallic but black would work fine for me. I've heard that the army painter spray paint is pretty good but if you guys have suggestions on cheaper stuff I'm all ears. I've heard that I'm looking for just primer, not paint+primer cans.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 6, 2021

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I just want to say, everyone out there that has a fully painted army for whatever game you are playing, no matter the quality of the paint job, give yourself a hand.

I'm just about to start basing the nights watch squad and gently caress me, by the end of it I was so much less interested in getting fine highlights or perfectly blending cloaks. I think I need to stick to single characters.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AndyElusive posted:

Just three more to go!

They look great ! And good news, five Deathwatch Veterans is a complete Kill Team under the new rules.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MasterBuilder posted:

I just want to say, everyone out there that has a fully painted army for whatever game you are playing, no matter the quality of the paint job, give yourself a hand.

I'm just about to start basing the nights watch squad and gently caress me, by the end of it I was so much less interested in getting fine highlights or perfectly blending cloaks. I think I need to stick to single characters.

maybe obvious advice, but i like putting my guys on one long stick and painting them same colors on them at the exact same time, give it a good enough job and move on. this is only for units of course.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
30k thread xpost

BULBASAUR posted:

Finally painted this bad boi

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

They look great ! And good news, five Deathwatch Veterans is a complete Kill Team under the new rules.

Thanks!! And :bubblewoop:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I finished up this Overlord today! Despite the fact I messed up building it, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. This is a fun hobby!

And with that... it makes 500 points. I've got an army!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MasterBuilder posted:

:yeah:

This is nowhere near a full 40k force, but it is a full Kill Team and then some!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

Decided to repaint my tanks. Using AK interactive enamel washes (specifically dark streaking grime) on this one. I think in total it took about 9 hours.

X-post from 40k thread

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My plague guard have a mini-van now. For once I got some good pictures to go with it.

This is the DUKW amphibious transport from Anvil Industries Digital. This was kinda a test print to test the model and try out a color scheme, and I'm really happy with the results, really went to town on weathering, which was super fun. Now I just gotta print like 5 more of them in various configurations.

Verisimilidude posted:

X-post from 40k thread

Love that tank man.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

X-post from 40k thread

+1, I love those 3d prints and that paint job does it just right

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

BULBASAUR posted:

30k thread xpost

Disturbingly, deliciously gooey. How did you get that gore effect?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Finally finished up Mir Kainan and his Reapers, looking forward to getting these guys on the table.

xpost from SpecGames

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

BULBASAUR posted:

30k thread xpost

Well that claw is deeply troubling. :aaaaa:

Good job!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've gone this long without using spray primer, but I figured that painting the kill team Octarius terrain entirely with a brush is probably a dumb idea.

So what's a good brand/kind of spray primer to use? Ideally I would love silver/metallic but black would work fine for me. I've heard that the army painter spray paint is pretty good but if you guys have suggestions on cheaper stuff I'm all ears. I've heard that I'm looking for just primer, not paint+primer cans.

I cant help you much with specific brands for silver, but... for Black pretty much any brand of matt black primer will do absolutely fine. I often use whatever no-name black car primer the pound shop carries, and its fine, although you dont get terribly much in a can, so the own brand halfords primer probably works out as better value in the long run. I've used GW primer and I've used Army Painter, and they are nice spray paints, dont get me wrong, but for doing a bunch of terrain they dont do anything that generic car primer doesnt do. And tbh unless the "colour matched to their paint range" thing is useful to you, they dont really do anything for models that generic stuff doesnt either.

So my advice for black is to go to your local hardware store/car stuff store and pick up a can of their black primer and/or their grey or white. Silver I dont know much about because I've simply never used it. I've a sneaking suspicion you will be better using black and drybrushing a metallic craft paint, but I dont know what look you are going for so I could be way off base.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how can i do better highlighting on this skirt?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
First pseudo-commission models for a friend. Korvash and Gwaien from Super Fantasy Brawl.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punishedkissinger posted:

how can i do better highlighting on this skirt?

Hard contrast like that doesn't really work very well on cloth. The simple way to highlight it is to paint multiple highlight layers by mixing more and more of your highlight color into your base color, so you get a smooth-ish gradient. That's if you start from a dark base coat. You can also start from a middle tone, and do both highlights and shadows.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Electric Hobo posted:

Hard contrast like that doesn't really work very well on cloth. The simple way to highlight it is to paint multiple highlight layers by mixing more and more of your highlight color into your base color, so you get a smooth-ish gradient. That's if you start from a dark base coat. You can also start from a middle tone, and do both highlights and shadows.

ahhh, i'll do more work on the palette and try and blend it thanks

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also, try mixing yellow into the green instead of white

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bucnasti posted:

My plague guard have a mini-van now. For once I got some good pictures to go with it.

This is the DUKW amphibious transport from Anvil Industries Digital. This was kinda a test print to test the model and try out a color scheme, and I'm really happy with the results, really went to town on weathering, which was super fun. Now I just gotta print like 5 more of them in various configurations.

Love that tank man.

Where the pizzas shoot out of?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have been keeping my compressor at too high of a PSI. That will certainly help me with my technique! It defaults to 30 PSI and I didn't think about lowering it when I started using a detail airbrush.

Just in case you don't know (because i didn't) if your compressor is on when turning down your psi you have to bleed some air out of the pressure regulator to get it down to that level by just shooting air out of your airbrush, you don't have to do anything when increasing the pressure though, it'll just go up

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Gonna end up taking individual or two person shots if you guys are interested.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

do it, they look great and I'd love to see them in more detail

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Parkingtigers posted:

Disturbingly, deliciously gooey. How did you get that gore effect?

Ugleb posted:

Well that claw is deeply troubling. :aaaaa:

Good job!

Thanks guys. I pushed myself on this one- particularly happy with how the OSL and gore turned out.

Gore I've found to be pretty easy. The key I feel is texture and different shades of 'blood'. I use the GW blood technical paint and combine it first with black, another time with brown, and another time with magenta. Each time I do this I apply it with a sponge onto the gore areas, building up the effect. Once it looks good, I use the technical paint straight from the bottle. This gives it the depth it has. After that I flick on some paint with a brush for spatter and apply some uhu glue. I then paint the glue using those colors I mentioned before.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Figure I'd ping the thread, see if I might've missed something.

Looking for a dark red-purple, darker than P3 Sanguine Base/Vallejo Red Black. Most of the darker purples lean toward the blue end of the spectrum, like Citadel Naggaroth Night, so I wanted to see if there was a paint that is more red-purple than blue-purple without mixing. If not, nbd, but I'd like to have a premixed paint if possible.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Aniodia posted:

Looking for a dark red-purple, darker than P3 Sanguine Base/Vallejo Red Black. Most of the darker purples lean toward the blue end of the spectrum, like Citadel Naggaroth Night, so I wanted to see if there was a paint that is more red-purple than blue-purple without mixing. If not, nbd, but I'd like to have a premixed paint if possible.

Scale 75 African Shadow

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aniodia posted:

Have you looked at VGC Gory Red? Probably a bit lighter than you're looking for but it's a good paint.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how do i freehand lines better?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

As usual, Vince Venturella has got you covered in exhaustive detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khaA0gNY-EU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You can try thinning your paints way down with water and building your freehand design up in gradual layers and thicker paint. Also using the base color of the background paint to correct any errors.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

More dilute paint with more passes.
Also full white and yellow is hard to do at the best of times. Might be easier to use an off white and then a full white for the edges of the objects, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
also a really sharp brush helps a lot