Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know a way of organizing my own sample library by BPM like with Logic's built-in samples? Is there a way to put bpm information into audio files for this sort of thing? Or do I just have to manually find the tempo and put it in the name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cuppy tea posted:

Does anyone know a way of organizing my own sample library by BPM like with Logic's built-in samples? Is there a way to put bpm information into audio files for this sort of thing? Or do I just have to manually find the tempo and put it in the name?

You could use a dj program to find out the bpm maybe and then just move them to folders in bulk

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Oiled and Ready posted:

If you've been listening with a sub... see if this tickles your fancy a little more :) I'm calling it done, so if it doesn't, at least I'm content with it :D

There we go baby.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

Check it. Don't know how to really classify this, but I guess "House" would suffice. I've been doing this a while. Plan on EQing this and doing some general engineering, and maaayyyybe some fills. Maybe. I say maybe because I think it flows well as is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's a good way to improve/start developing any musical talent? Trying to copy existing songs, or is that ultimately going to turn me into a subconcious copy cat?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Copying existing songs isn't so bad. However, just make sure that you are learning your engineering chops, notation, and synth programming abilities while doing that and you'll learn a LOT more from it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What's a good way to improve/start developing writing talent?

Command of vocabulary, so you are not limited to the simple words of a language and end up explaining relatively simple concepts in 5 lines.

Command of spelling and grammar, so that what you type is readable and intelligible.

Touch typing or fluent handwriting - to get your thoughts fast and accurately to paper, without thinking, in a readable way.

Standing on the shoulders of giants so you build and create on the work of those before you, and possess an idiom and a rich selection of themes to work with.

It's exactly the same with music: know your instrument, be able to play it without thinking, and know the classics so you have a base to start from.

Don't try to tackle everything at the same time. Knowledge of synthesis or effects will be useless if you can't even play a good melody on piano or guitar. Knowledge of mixing will be useless if you can't even arrange your instruments properly yet. Study the basics first; be able to play and commit your ideas to a solid medium; then learn to structure them. Everything else will be relatively easy compared to that.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 18, 2010

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a good way to improve/start developing any musical talent? Trying to copy existing songs, or is that ultimately going to turn me into a subconcious copy cat?

In terms of copying existing songs, I think that you can shape your "sound" based on your favourite bits of the music you like, you won't sound like a copycat unless you try to sound like just one artist. So I would say learn to find out what you really like and incorporate that into your music. I guess it's down to your taste if it comes across 'original' or not...

Also, what Yoozer said.

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes
Quick, but kind of "stupid" question.

I've been screwing around with fruity loops for a couple weeks, and I have a few qualms with it.

Using it to put together songs, mix, master, what ever? FL excels any expectations I could have.

Using it's built in sounds? (not synths, those are good, but the .wavs) God awful.

I'll listen to stuff online, mstrkrft, deadmau5, anything. All of their 'sounds' are, well, expectantly more professional. Do they straight up make all their sounds? Would it be unethical to record the stuff I like off their songs and use it myself? Is there some sort of huge library somewhere with all this stuff up for download?

Now I don't mean like melodies or rhythms, I mean things like kicks and hi-hats, things like that. FL's offerings are terribly generic with this kind of stuff.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

haximus prime posted:

I've been screwing around with fruity loops for a couple weeks, and I have a few qualms with it.

Using it to put together songs, mix, master, what ever? FL excels any expectations I could have.

Using it's built in sounds? (not synths, those are good, but the .wavs) God awful.

I'll listen to stuff online, mstrkrft, deadmau5, anything. All of their 'sounds' are, well, expectantly more professional. Do they straight up make all their sounds? Would it be unethical to record the stuff I like off their songs and use it myself? Is there some sort of huge library somewhere with all this stuff up for download?

Now I don't mean like melodies or rhythms, I mean things like kicks and hi-hats, things like that. FL's offerings are terribly generic with this kind of stuff.

I wouldn't think of it in terms of ethical statements like "immoral" to directly rip sounds from other people's tunes, but think about what that says about you as an artist. In a way I think it is like saying "I want to sound like artist X, but I don't want to really be as knowledgeable about synthesis/sampling/mixing, or actually have the musical wherewithal of artist X." The eternal truth of all music is that nothing comes easy. Especially electronic music, despite that nearly everyone who has never made it thinks it is easy to make. You say the synths are good but the samples suck. What are the samples of? Can they be synthesized? If they are drum sounds, especially the kind in mstrkrft or deadmau5 style music, the answer is yes, they can be synthesized. The question you have to ask yourself is what is preventing you from synthesizing them? If it's a general lack of knowledge, then go and read one of the zillions of tutorials on the web or watch some youtubes about synthesizing drums.

The beauty of computer based electronic music is that it is in many ways the first true 'blank page' for music in terms of sound creation. So, do you want to fill your page up with an amalgamation deadmau5 and mstrkrft or do you want to fill it up with haximus prime?

Short answer: make your own sounds. the people who make electronic music history have done so because of their innovative sounds, not from copying other people.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

haximus prime posted:

Here's my experience starting out freshly in this stuff: Just turn knobs like an ADHD riddled kid and play notes. A lot of stuff develops unexpectedly. Stacking effects does a lot, too.

And one thing I've learned is that playing synths in chords can result in completely different sounds.

And I finally bothered with minimal music theory, learned about scales and suddenly I'm more determinately writing down notes instead of just trying to make them sound not out of place.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 8, 2014

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

You mean like this?

Click here for the full 691x781 image.

I use this technique pretty often. I suppose there's a chance of some phase cancellation when mixing down to mono if you're working with steady waveforms. If the end product is going to be mono then why bother with widening at all, out of interest?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 8, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Turns out that anything I try ends up being some silly mellow house track. :saddowns:

http://soundcloud.com/glowstick/mellow-happy-house-thingy

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i know the mix is terrible, i just finished it and its for a dj forum production battle thing, and i was wondering if anyone thought i was heading a good direction, i kinda like it aside from the problems in the mix.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

colonp posted:

Post your favorite widening tricks, thank you!

I've tried delaying one channel, but that seems to sound really bad in mono.

Firstly not claiming this as my own trick, it's from Tom Cosm. In Ableton, use a Filter Delay, but set it to only the left and right channels, make sure the filters allow all sound through, and change the delay mode to time. Then delay one channel 1ms and the other channel from 1.5 to 10 ms, depending on how it sounds. I use this trick for widening pads all the time.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

haximus prime posted:

Of course they are. You got 'm for free with the box.

quote:

I'll listen to stuff online, mstrkrft, deadmau5, anything. All of their 'sounds' are, well, expectantly more professional. Do they straight up make all their sounds?
If they didn't, they wouldn't tell you. However, some peeks in the studio show bigger names using various loops from well-known suppliers. What matters is the end result.

However...

quote:

Would it be unethical to record the stuff I like off their songs and use it myself?

There is no cheating in music. There is only lying.

By doing this, you're sort of lying to yourself. If it suddenly sounds a lot better, there's not that much satisfaction. Now, it's not to say that you have to hand-draw every waveform or selling your kidneys so you can hunt down a vintage drum machine and expensive FX chain and process the gently caress out of it to get something serviceable, but the advantage of rolling your own (or assembling your own) has advantages; you learn more about the process so it's no longer that much of a black box to you, and you'll never get some git on your back demanding money for those 0.5 seconds you ripped from his track.

If someone recognizes it, you're toast. This actually happened with some of the Vengeance Essential sampling CDs; some folks thought - "hey, that kick drum sounds familiar!". Then, they went sleuthing; turns out they simply sampled it from the original track, cut it out and put it on there.

quote:

Is there some sort of huge library somewhere with all this stuff up for download?

http://www.loopmasters.com/ . Pretty good prices, too.

You can make your own kicks with relative ease and have control over each part of the process. Hihats, not so much - it's going to sound very synthetic in that case.

Also, http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com/ is a pretty good deal.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 21, 2010

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Lately I have been putting ideas into fruityloops at home to hold on to ideas quickly so I can do more with them later, but a lot of the time I will get a melody and harmony in my head with no way to put it down before I lose it. I would like something to get this done while I am out without just recording myself humming. Is there a handheld, simple midi sequencer or something like that that would allow me to do that? The only thing I know of like that is the DS Korg program, but I don't really like it.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

80s cheese.

I know, I still need a lot of vocal practice, they're still pretty weak-sounding.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 23, 2010

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Longtiem posted:

I had to turn my sub to max to get even a little bump out of this. I like the tune though, although at about the 2 minute mark a new, on the beat synth kicks in, and again another synth line comes back. This is personal preference but I just don't like them in dance music. The driving forces in DnB are the drum and bass, everything that takes away from that energy and boom can be really distracting and make a beat undanceable. The synth work reminds me too much of final fantasy 3 music for me to groove to.

Thanks man, I changed it up, can hear the latest version here, make sure to hit HD so it doesn't sound like poo poo. Still having trouble with the bass sound though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWtjZpPcwo

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Lately I have been putting ideas into fruityloops at home to hold on to ideas quickly so I can do more with them later, but a lot of the time I will get a melody and harmony in my head with no way to put it down before I lose it. I would like something to get this done while I am out without just recording myself humming. Is there a handheld, simple midi sequencer or something like that that would allow me to do that? The only thing I know of like that is the DS Korg program, but I don't really like it.

If you don't mind a tracker-style interface, Sunvox might be worth a look. There's versions for PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and iPhoneOS. Also there's a PC version so you can easily move files to and from the desktop.

The UI on the mobile version is kind of crazy, it's basically like five different subwindows that you can scroll and resize in realtime, I thought it was pure madness at first but after using it for about half an hour it actually works pretty nicely.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Not to be a bother, but can I get some feedback on this? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAbn2k4Ndr0

I'm not a noob by any stretch of the imagination, but I -do- have a few issues with arrangment and have only recently begun to start to really grasp theory. I'm sure some people have been doing this a lot longer than my "couple years".

I still need to mix this. I haven't even low cut everything and the only reason the bass is so audible is because it's an analog synth. MY issue with the track is that the drumfill at the beginning get monotonous to me. I'm thinking of sticking some lightly sidechained FX patches at the beginning from my Trinity. Anything else i'm missing?

Edit: So far, i'm working on this. I replaced the long, boring drum intro. I'd still like goon thoughts though :).

This is what I replaced the drum intro with.

Shes In Parties fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 22, 2010

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
The snare during the chorus could use some reverb and be louder. Other than that it sounds pretty good. Drive that bass lower with some sidechain. And if it was me, I'd try and introduce a lead melody sooner than halfway through the song, or another very simple and underlying bassling right from the get-go.

And here's part of a new piece I just put together this morning. I'll crosspost it here shamelessly, your fought if awfways appreceated

Gibberish fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 22, 2010

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

cuppy tea posted:

iTunes does, or get Rekordbox http://www.prodjnet.com/rekordbox/support/

Its the software Pioneer use on their CDJ series- totally free music organising tool.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

haximus prime posted:

either Loopmasters, or buy a copy of Musictech, Futuremusic etc because there's always free samples on the covermount dvd.

Alternatively, just Google 'free bass drum samples' or whatever- the majority of companies will have have some free samples to download, and you can see which collections might be worth getting.

Boyinabox's blog has an assload of free sample archives too.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Drumatic is a freeware drum synth that's definitely worth checking out, it can do some decent kick tones, especially if you layer it with some sort of sub-bass sine wave type synth.

There's plenty of articles/tutorials online about synthesizing kick drums, not that you can't use samples too but it's a good opportunity to learn something about sound design (and being able to nail exactly the sound you want).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought z3ta+ today for 19,99 how about you guys?

https://www.cakewalk.com

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Track I posted earlier? I finished it. Thoughts and whatnot are welcome :)

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

KryonikMessiah posted:

Track I posted earlier? I finished it. Thoughts and whatnot are welcome :)

the beat never stops. just duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh then some zelda ocarina of time bullshit fills.

Just not very energetic, imo.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Longtiem posted:

the beat never stops. just duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh then some zelda ocarina of time bullshit fills.

Just not very energetic, imo.

Actually, the beat stops many times, but I'm not seeing the "ocarina of time" esque stuff. You talking about the riff that comes in a bit after I introduce the main bassline?

Was kind of going for an Anthony Rother esque feel actually :). I've been doing this a long time and wanted to try something new.

Thanks for the feedback, I mean, I do appreciate it! Maybe next time I write something like this I won't slam the kick so damned hard.

Really though anybody who doesn't like general nineties electronica and modern prog house is going to find this repetitive. I need to stop trying to make my mix so busy.

Shes In Parties fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 25, 2010

fdaJJ
May 3, 2005

DEEP DOWN I'M A FURRY WHO LOVES TIGERS

fdaJJ fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 26, 2010

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I bought z3ta+ today for 19,99 how about you guys?

https://www.cakewalk.com
I recently treated myself to Tassman 4 for $99 :cool:

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Anyone know of a good, cheap, reliable midi to usb adapter? I'm looking to hook my MicroKorg up to my PC...

I found one on ebay for 8 dollars free shipping, but I don't want to buy a piece of poo poo that breaks in a day
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Adapter-/280483295330?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414e1b7062

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I r Pat posted:

Anyone know of a good, cheap, reliable midi to usb adapter? I'm looking to hook my MicroKorg up to my PC...

I found one on ebay for 8 dollars free shipping, but I don't want to buy a piece of poo poo that breaks in a day
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Adapter-/280483295330?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414e1b7062

I'd say just pick up something from here that meets your needs:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c679--Portable_MIDI_Interfaces

This technology is pretty well-established at this point so I think it's kind of hard to really badly screw up but I still think it's worth it to pay 30 or 40 bucks for something with an actual company behind it that can help you if it screws up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm thinking about buying a notebook for playing out with ableton live & a midi keyboard, is there a good shopping guide for that kind of thing, or do any of you guys maybe have suggestions? For the interface I was thinking about a Babyface, but I haven't the slightest clue about the actual computer. he;lp

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Easiest way to go would probably be a used Macbook Pro. IT'll run everything, even windows if it's intel based, the audio just works, and you won't have to worry about restarting Live every time the controller comes unplugged.

If you want something a little more low-key for playing live, a newer netbook with a decent processor will work wonderfully. I produce on a System76 netbook with a stupid-slow atom processor and I'm yet to have any trouble with it not keeping up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks; isn't the small screen on a netbook a problem?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think it depends on how many vsts/plugins you are planning on running- if you are just fiddling around with audio clips then a netbook should be ok, but if you wanna get involved in something like NI's Absynth, then you are gonna want a poo poo ton of RAM and a bigger screen for tweakage- even on 4Gb Ram and the latest ASIO drivers and blah blah blah, my rig can freak out occasionally when I get carried away.

The RAM issue also applies to how many plugins you want to use at once- I would suggest looking up effects busses now to save time and worry in the future- even if you go for a Macbook Pro which should handle it fine, it's still worthwhile stuff to learn.

Like unSavory said, a Mac is easy to set up and less likely to crap out on you- it also gives better routing options out the box than Windows.
Bear in mind though, that there are a lot of Windows-only plugins out there.

In regards to screen size, Ableton Live 8 has a 'zoom' feature, so running this on its own wouldn't be difficult to use on a netbook at all.

Are you planning on DJing or more the composing/'musical' side of things?
This will affect your choice, because if you want to use your new purchase as a virtual synth rig, then you want as much power as you can afford (actually, you want as much power as you can afford anyway). It's better to fork out more now than realise in a couple of months that you got the wrong thing and it can't cope.

TL:DR Just using Ableton? Most any recent netbook should be ok. Using 'heavy' plugins? Get a Macbook Pro or similar.

(BittyWings is proud owner of a PC, but has no qualms recommending Macs to others when appropriate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I wanted to make a standard dubstep wobble patch in Thor Synthesizer in Reason 4 and got a bit carried away :) Still work in progress, but you get the idea.

(Not a dubstep track at all)

• Locked thread