Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Gnaghi posted:

this is a very nice looking bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Crap I think I'm getting old :(

I just installed my impulse purchased V&H system and god drat is that thing loud. It sounds nice and throaty but jeeze. It does however weigh at least 15 lbs less than the stocker so I guess that's good.
I'm going to give it a day or two to decide if I can deal with the noise. Funny enough the bike feels slower because I keep shifting at like 4k to keep the drat thing quiet, ha.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I finished my delayed oil change earlier, put "everything" back in place, and filled it up with a quart and a half before I saw the "extra part" of the filter assembly still lying on the rag. Drained all the new oil, and took out the filter realizing I probably could have left the oil in there as there was none in the filter chamber yet.

I hope I regain my attention span/mechanical aptitude by the time I need to adjust the valves. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Come up, ride mine or the g/f's...you'll understand.

Ola posted:

That works with any bike, just find a girl who hasn't taken a ride on anything faster than yours before.*

* sentence has multiple applications, use with caution
/flees

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

There's a wet spot on the front tire. Could cause you to crash.

I've only ridden the 12 but what an awesome engine...the only downside is it's paired with a tank of a chassis, it's not a light bike and it's gonna feel like a freight train compared to your 250. I liked it but the size and weight was enough to send me running back to converted supersports. I think that's a big part of why I didn't like the ZZR, too...it handles it's weight well, but it's still there and it made dealing with the bike a bit of a chore.
That's why I sold the R1100RS, too. Nice solid bike, but just a little more 'piloting' than actual 'riding' going on for my tastes. The more bikes I ride, the more true that statement becomes.
'94 R1100RS
'83 XS400
'82 SR250
'10 Victory Kingpin
'10 Victory Hammer S

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kawa demo day today and it was pissing down so I was the only guy riding. (one other guy came in when I was done) Tried three bikes:

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Versys: excellent city bike, plenty of mid range grunt. Engine sounds and feels a bit like a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower, but highway speeds were easy. I didn't check out the price list for the options, but you sure get a lot of bike for your bucks.

Click here for the full 1024x769 image.

Z1000: Pretty radical looks, gotta give Kawasaki some credit for being ballsy in their design. The seat was in imitation crocodile skin. The engine was super smooth and power like WOAH. I didn't come anywhere near full throttle. The injection was so good, I rode the Z750 while taking my license and it was notchy and annoying near zero throttle. The Z1000 was perfect, felt like carbs. But the power...man...until:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

ZZR1400: HOLY gently caress. 193 bhp. HOLY gently caress. Did one hard pull from 40-ish to slightly over 100 mph in 4th, in about the same time it takes to say HOLY gently caress. When I say hard pull, it felt hard like HOLY gently caress but it was only maybe 1/2 throttle max. It's like the hand of God reaching down from the heavens and just snatching you away. HOLY gently caress. I'm not used to sporty riding positions, but I did feel like I could get used to holding myself up by the small of my back without any weight on the wrists. It was really pouring down by then and heavy rush hour traffic so I was very cautious apart from two pulls in a tunnel. The brakes were amazing, just curl one finger around the lever and think about where you want to pull up. But the power. The torque. HOLY gently caress.

edit: just thought I'd mention, all bikes had excellent feeling brakes which did not change in the rain. The Versys had a pretty clunky gearbox but on the big bikes it was fantastically smooth and precise. No clunk, just a little "snick" .

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 26, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Everyone should go out and buy some Tech Spec. Holy poo poo what a difference it makes when you can actually plant your lower half while going through a corner.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

frozenphil posted:

Everyone should go out and buy some Tech Spec. Holy poo poo what a difference it makes when you can actually plant your lower half while going through a corner.

I was looking for something like this just yesterday. It's funny, I have no problem hanging off in Cortech jeans and the like, but leather track pants are slippery as hell and feel like I could easily slide right off the bike.

Edit: Both the side pieces and tank protector are cheaper from NewEnough than the Techspec website.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I was looking for something like this just yesterday. It's funny, I have no problem hanging off in Cortech jeans and the like, but leather track pants are slippery as hell and feel like I could easily slide right off the bike.

My commute goes over a couple mountains and I just couldn't keep myself up off the bars before I put on the Tech Spec. Now I can keep my lower half planted through the corner instead of sliding up into the tank. It really is a night and day difference with regards to smoothness going through a corner when you can keep yourself in one place so you aren't constantly changing the bike's balance.

I've never tried any other type of grip stuff, so take my endorsement for Tech Spec with a grain of salt. However, I know some sort of grippy stuff, whether it be Tech Spec or some other company, will be the first mod I do to any future bike I own.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I like what they've done with the headlight this year. Looks far less retarded.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

8ender posted:

I like what they've done with the headlight this year. Looks far less retarded.

Wow, that machine looks shockingly like a GS.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

frozenphil posted:

My commute goes over a couple mountains...
Living in Colorado, I'm not entirely sure how you can make this claim with a straight face. =)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

frozenphil posted:

My commute goes over a couple mountains and I just couldn't keep myself up off the bars before I put on the Tech Spec. Now I can keep my lower half planted through the corner instead of sliding up into the tank. It really is a night and day difference with regards to smoothness going through a corner when you can keep yourself in one place so you aren't constantly changing the bike's balance.

I've never tried any other type of grip stuff, so take my endorsement for Tech Spec with a grain of salt. However, I know some sort of grippy stuff, whether it be Tech Spec or some other company, will be the first mod I do to any future bike I own.

I often have a tank bag on my bike, you think these would interfere with it? The front part of my tank is plastic, so I rely pretty heavily on the magnets closest to the seat and it looks like these grip pads are going to block them.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Jabs posted:

Living in Colorado, I'm not entirely sure how you can make this claim with a straight face. =)

I call em what the map calls em.

Gnaghi posted:

I often have a tank bag on my bike, you think these would interfere with it? The front part of my tank is plastic, so I rely pretty heavily on the magnets closest to the seat and it looks like these grip pads are going to block them.

You could always order the sheet and cut out your own shape. It's not much more than ordering the pre-cut version.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

If your knees don't go over the magnets, the tech specs shouldn't either. And either way, the magnets will stick through the tech specs (if you get the thinner sheet, which are the ones I prefer) and won't harm them, so no biggy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Awesomesauce, gonna be hanging off my bike like a monkey.

I also just found out you get $10 for every product testimonial from NewEnough, dammit. I couldn't had literally $100 of gift certificates by now.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I wanna race this guy down the block on my GS550:

http://psychobike.com/forums/garage-sale/49489-2004-ultra-turbo-busa-reduced-price-20k.html

...down the block and back! Seriously, how would you negotiate any daily transportation on something like that.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

http://psychobike.com/forums/garage-sale/49489-2004-ultra-turbo-busa-reduced-price-20k.html

...down the block and back! Seriously, how would you negotiate any daily transportation on something like that.

Looking at that site hurt my eyes

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

UserNotFound posted:

Holy poo poo, there's like a quarter inch of suspension travel on that thing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

Do you look at a Top Fuel dragster and try to figure out where they put the groceries? It's pretty obvious that the dude went overboard and made his street bike a dedicated strip bike and now wants out from under it. It happens all the time in the car world too. Dudes just keep throwing money at their car and never drive it until next thing they know they've got some 8 second fire breather that rides like poo poo on the street, doesn't have any creature comforts, and scares the hell out of them. You can spot a checkbook racer from a mile away.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Take that mother to Bonneville!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
"This turbo Busa still isn't fast enough! I can't get any more power out of it though. I know weight reduction! I'll start with the back-up rotor and caliper on the front wheel."

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Do you look at a Top Fuel dragster and try to figure out where they put the groceries? It's pretty obvious that the dude went overboard and made his street bike a dedicated strip bike and now wants out from under it. It happens all the time in the car world too. Dudes just keep throwing money at their car and never drive it until next thing they know they've got some 8 second fire breather that rides like poo poo on the street, doesn't have any creature comforts, and scares the hell out of them. You can spot a checkbook racer from a mile away.

The best part is where he insists it's never been tracked and only street driven.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Pubic Lair posted:

The best part is where he insists it's never been tracked and only street driven.

It could be true, he could be too chickenshit to track it

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Take that mother to Bonneville!

The owner is more like "take this bother from my moneyville!"

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I don't spend much time in this sub-forum (any really). However, since I live in Taiwan right now I do a whole lot of scootin' around. It can be a pretty surreal experience given the lack of any real laws for people on scooters here, and there is lots of beautiful scenery as well.

Would you guys be interested in hearing about such things, or has it already been done? Also would posting a dedicated thread on the subject for posting photos/answering questions be against the rules (I also have some cool video ideas I might try)? Football season is basically over so I'll have more time for road trips and chatting in forums outside of SAS:FF.

Figured I'd ask in here first rather than risk a ban/make an rear end of myself. I used to post in AI semi-frequently so I know how you guys can be.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd love to hear about Taiwanese scooter adventures

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

frozenphil posted:

Do you look at a Top Fuel dragster and try to figure out where they put the groceries?

If I saw a street legal, 6000+ HP mustang that someone rides around town and parks in front of their apartment, I'd absolutely have the same incredulity towards them.

I totally agree about pocketbook racers ending up with a vehicle that isn't streetable, but I can't figure out what screw is loose that someone would put that kind of effort into an already stupid fast bike he's owned for 6 years, and then go all "Sorry guys, I guess I really wanted a Street Glide or a Road King".

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

8ender posted:

I'd love to hear about Taiwanese scooter adventures

Me too! Post a thread and make sure there are pictures of this beautiful scenery.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

HappyHelmet posted:

Figured I'd ask in here first rather than risk a ban/make an rear end of myself. I used to post in AI semi-frequently so I know how you guys can be.

I would totally dig a thread dedicated to scooting adventures in taiwan.

Post plenty of pics

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

HappyHelmet posted:

I don't spend much time in this sub-forum (any really). However, since I live in Taiwan right now I do a whole lot of scootin' around. It can be a pretty surreal experience given the lack of any real laws for people on scooters here, and there is lots of beautiful scenery as well.

Would you guys be interested in hearing about such things, or has it already been done? Also would posting a dedicated thread on the subject for posting photos/answering questions be against the rules (I also have some cool video ideas I might try)? Football season is basically over so I'll have more time for road trips and chatting in forums outside of SAS:FF.

What do you mean "how you guys can be?" :rant:

Really, what you want to do is perfect. I'd follow it!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

What do you mean "how you guys can be?" :rant:

Really, what you want to do is perfect. I'd follow it!

Well Cycle Asylum does seem much more laid back. AI used to be pretty unforgiving of "outsiders". I was too afraid to post sometimes :( (this was a few years ago mind you).

Anyways sounds like there is interest. I've got nothing really going on this weekend so I'll try to get something typed up by then. It'll be a good excuse to get my poor scooter out more often and flog the poo poo out of it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

If I saw a street legal, 6000+ HP mustang that someone rides around town and parks in front of their apartment, I'd absolutely have the same incredulity towards them.

I totally agree about pocketbook racers ending up with a vehicle that isn't streetable, but I can't figure out what screw is loose that someone would put that kind of effort into an already stupid fast bike he's owned for 6 years, and then go all "Sorry guys, I guess I really wanted a Street Glide or a Road King".

It's an ego thing. Some guys just have to prove to random people just how badass they are by owning the biggest, most powerful poo poo they can find. These are the people you see who drive Expeditions or some semi truck SUV, own a Desert Eagle in .50, etc... Some people don't do things incrementally, they jump right to the biggest and baddest because anything not the biggest and baddest is for little pussy girl fags.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

It's an ego thing. Some guys just have to prove to random people just how badass they are by owning the biggest, most powerful poo poo they can find. These are the people you see who drive Expeditions or some semi truck SUV, own a Desert Eagle in .50, etc... Some people don't do things incrementally, they jump right to the biggest and baddest because anything not the biggest and baddest is for little pussy girl fags.

I hear you. Except both ends of the spectrum are fun! I have this:

:hellyeah:

But also havehad this:

:v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A Navy Seal has never been in a movie and done badass things with a Thompson Center anything. What good is having a .50 if you can't hold it up to people and say, "And the fact that I've got 'Desert Eagle point five O' written down the side of mine should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... gently caress off!"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wait what the gently caress just happened, those are some weird motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Wait what the gently caress just happened, those are some weird motorcycles.

What, they harness explosions to go really fast, seems good enough to me.

HappyHelmet posted:

Well Cycle Asylum does seem much more laid back. AI used to be pretty unforgiving of "outsiders". I was too afraid to post sometimes :( (this was a few years ago mind you).

Anyways sounds like there is interest. I've got nothing really going on this weekend so I'll try to get something typed up by then. It'll be a good excuse to get my poor scooter out more often and flog the poo poo out of it.

CA's pretty laid back about posting as long as you're not a complete moron about it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

What, they harness explosions to go really fast, seems good enough to me.

CA's pretty laid back about posting as long as you're not a complete moron about it.

put a cap on the end of the barrel, make the bullet go back and forth along it while turning a crank and now we're talking. Why waste all that energy making a piece of metal go really fast if you're left standing around not going anywhere when it happens?

In other news, new chain and sprockets are installed, my bike has never been so quiet. Feels like it's got more punch off the line too, but that's probably just me making things up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

put a cap on the end of the barrel, make the bullet go back and forth along it while turning a crank and now we're talking. Why waste all that energy making a piece of metal go really fast if you're left standing around not going anywhere when it happens?

In other news, new chain and sprockets are installed, my bike has never been so quiet. Feels like it's got more punch off the line too, but that's probably just me making things up.

Did you change the gearing? First time I ever replaced a chain and sprockets I went from a tooth down in the front to stock, and was like "holy crap, tuneup caused it to run 600RPM lower on the freeway! :downs:". Ahh, to be a noob again :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Did you change the gearing? First time I ever replaced a chain and sprockets I went from a tooth down in the front to stock, and was like "holy crap, tuneup caused it to run 600RPM lower on the freeway! :downs:". Ahh, to be a noob again :)

no, stock ratios. I think it's just less slackness, a split second more immediateness to rolling on the throttle. I only rode it down the street though, so I'm probably making that up. Won't be able to take it for a ride until sunday as I'll be away.