Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I've been using Opera since forever, but this is just starting to slowly fall apart. I figure I should give Firefox a go. The things I absolutely positively need from Opera are things like CTRL+B to "paste and go", select right click "Go to webpage", decent mouse gestures, using "1" and "2" keys to go between tabs and speed dial. How can I replicate these features in Firefox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Most of the stuff is available as an extension. A couple pages ago people were posting several.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I forgot the name I used for my opera account and want to switch my poo poo over to a new computer. Any hope for me?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You have access to the origin system, right? You should at least be able to transfer most of the things in the user profile folder manually, or manually import/export some things like address book, bookmarks, etc.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Yo sick, I was smart enough to put in a backup email address and they sent me my user name. Thanks guys.

Edit: So, if I synchronize Opera after I reinstall my OS. I can reinstall opera and log-in with my username and everything will be there yeah?

DoubleEdit: I have Opera 18 so I can't do that lol. I guess I'll just save everything from the folders and poo poo. Thanks dude above.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 21, 2014

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Riso posted:

Most of the stuff is available as an extension. A couple pages ago people were posting several.

I hate, hate, hate hate hate that. In my experience, almost all extensions are poorly maintained pieces of crap that don't really do what you want anyway. gently caress the current browser landscape where everything sucks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kevin Bacon posted:

select right click "Go to webpage"

This works out of the box.

quote:

using "1" and "2"

I've just adjusted to using ctrl-pgdown and pgup fro when I need that. That works in other applications as well. I usually use 1 and 2 after I've opened a bunch of new tabs to quickly cycle through them so that when I close them, the next one from the set opens. Firefox just opens the next tab on the right, which I have actually learned to like more. Just click once on the leftmost tab and then let Firefox move to the next tab on right when I close the current tab.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Wheany posted:

This works out of the box.

Really? I know it has select rick click "Search", but I ended up installing the "Right-Click-Link" addon for the "Go to webpage" functionality. I solved the hotkey problem by using Customizable Shortcuts for some stuff, Paste and Go Hotkey, so I can "ctrl+b" as much as I loving want to and go everywhere instantly, and finally Single Key Tab Switch to go left/right between tabs with the "1" and "2" keys. Another thing I found is something that's just called "Speed Dial" that lets me set things up the way I like it, and in addition use ctrl+#-key shortcuts to open sites from my speed dial, as well as some other neat functions like cropping the page preview thumbnail etc.

It works okay enough. I have to say, it is nice being able to use Youtube and Gmail without having everything slow down to nearly a halt. Anyways, Opera forever.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kevin Bacon posted:

Anyways, Opera 12 forever.

We don't want to give the idiots in charge a bad impression. :colbert:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Chrome has steadily been getting clunkier and more sluggish over the months, so I decided to try out Opera again for the first time in years, and wow. It is so much loving better now. They finally got rid of all that stupid bloat and made it streamlined. It's lightning fast, very responsive. I especially like that I can load up chrome extensions, it made migrating over really easy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Azurrat posted:

Chrome has steadily been getting clunkier and more sluggish over the months, so I decided to try out Opera again for the first time in years, and wow. It is so much loving better now. They finally got rid of all that stupid bloat and made it streamlined. It's lightning fast, very responsive. I especially like that I can load up chrome extensions, it made migrating over really easy.
Oh lord.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, Linux. There's a semi-official statement here, basically saying "we want a linux version, there will be a linux version - but we won't give dates until we have something good enough to let people test it".

In less public/official news, there are now multiple employees working full time on the linux version (and you certainly didn't hear that from me).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Computer viking posted:

So, Linux. There's a semi-official statement here, basically saying "we want a linux version, there will be a linux version - but we won't give dates until we have something good enough to let people test it".

In less public/official news, there are now multiple employees working full time on the linux version (and you certainly didn't hear that from me).

So this is a warning to watch our updates to make sure we don't accidentally "upgrade" from Opera 12?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Computer viking posted:

Now it's become a game of words against words, but that blog post claims opera loves linux, while an ex employee tells a tale of ridicule and downright abuse against linux people: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7129955

Given the quality of opera marketing in the recent year (lots of straight-up lies), i'm very much inclined to believe this is a smoke screen.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

Now it's become a game of words against words, but that blog post claims opera loves linux, while an ex employee tells a tale of ridicule and downright abuse against linux people: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7129955

Given the quality of opera marketing in the recent year (lots of straight-up lies), i'm very much inclined to believe this is a smoke screen.

Well, they did wind down the Oslo linux team to focus on the largest two desktop platforms first. There are other countries in the world.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Well, they did wind down the Oslo linux team to focus on the largest two desktop platforms first. There are other countries in the world.

Ruarí made a quite long post with his perspective and it actually helped me a lot in believing the contents of his blog post. While i'm still dismayed that after 7+ months rightmouse + scroll still doesn't work and i've yet to see any indicator that Chromera will become even marginally as usable as the old Opera, i'm glad that there are people left in the company who can talk straight.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

Ruarí made a quite long post with his perspective and it actually helped me a lot in believing the contents of his blog post. While i'm still dismayed that after 7+ months rightmouse + scroll still doesn't work and i've yet to see any indicator that Chromera will become even marginally as usable as the old Opera, i'm glad that there are people left in the company who can talk straight.

Mmh, their communication policy has been ("is", mostly) a bit ... corporate, and not in the best sense. There are enough people that'd like to say more, but aren't allowed to. (Including me - I live with an Opera employee, and there are enough things I really can't say.)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, uh... Does this mean opera sync is no more?
http://www.opera.com/whereismyopera

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EvilMoFo posted:

So, uh... Does this mean opera sync is no more?
http://www.opera.com/whereismyopera
My Opera is the community - which Opera probably want to purge of critics anyway. Opera Link still has a page: http://www.opera.com/link

Not that I wouldn't switch to Pinboard, if I were you.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Mmh, their communication policy has been ("is", mostly) a bit ... corporate, and not in the best sense. There are enough people that'd like to say more, but aren't allowed to. (Including me - I live with an Opera employee, and there are enough things I really can't say.)

I actually know how that feels, having had to secretly meet with players of an MMO whose texts i was translating, because i wasn't even allowed to play it. That said, the recent harsh changes in Opera's behavior had me wanting for at least a hint that there's some good left in there. He provided one.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

I actually know how that feels, having had to secretly meet with players of an MMO whose texts i was translating, because i wasn't even allowed to play it. That said, the recent harsh changes in Opera's behavior had me wanting for at least a hint that there's some good left in there. He provided one.

Ha, that's inconvenient. I wonder how they thought you'd do a decent job without any context.

Opera sync still exists, btw; there is a flag (in opera:flags or opera:settings, I believe?) to turn on the experimental version in 19/20. The servers are more down then up, though; they will probably announce it when their code (and plans) stabilizes to something more useful.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
So I was on reddit and saw this:
https://forums.opera.com/discussion/1813482/prweb-crashes-opera

Apparently Opera 12.16 is a lot buggier than 12.14:

Rendering bugs
Cookie bugs
Stability issues

If you dont want to upgrade, consider at least a 12.14 downgrade.

Edit: and in other news the gesture for restoring tabs "up, right" doesn't work for me anymore. All I get is maximise. wth.

Riso fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 25, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, so I've been slowly, slowly moving away from Opera 12 to Opera Next. I'm still using Opera 12 because it uses bookmarks properly and has all my email and RSS feeds and poo poo, but I've found Opera Next to just be so much drat faster for basic browsing, like it's easily five to ten times faster and is a lot more stable and clean. But today I found it hanging a whole bunch, like I'd click the icon and it'd take over three minutes to load and then crash a lot. I figured I'd had something screwy break with the last update, so I went to the website to download the second to last version.

Apparently, "Opera" and "Opera Next" are still two different browsers, and I downloaded Opera 20 without realizing it wasn't the newest version of Opera Next. So now I've got three versions of the same bloody browser sitting on my taskbar.

Really I'm just here to ask why the hell they have two different browsers that look and do the exact same thing? I mean, if Opera 20 still doesn't have bookmarks and email and uses the exact same interface and options as Opera Next then what's the loving point!?!

Also I find it somewhat amusing that they still have Opera 12 on their site, ready to download.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Really I'm just here to ask why the hell they have two different browsers that look and do the exact same thing? I mean, if Opera 20 still doesn't have bookmarks and email and uses the exact same interface and options as Opera Next then what's the loving point!?!

Opera/Opera Next/Opera Developer are just at various levels of testing new features. You're going to have fewer features in 'regular' Opera than in Next, though the features there should be more stable.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is Opera on par with Chrome feature-wise? I'm considering switching over, since Chrome's been running like poo poo recently, IE has always ran like poo poo, and Firefox still doesn't have multi-process browsing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well, Chrome has bookmarks, so... no.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Starting a new process for each tab sounds like a neat idea but then a tab has locked up, taken the whole UI with it, and you have to kill the whole thing anyway. Taskmanager simply can't tell you which tab is in each process.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Alright, so I've been slowly, slowly moving away from Opera 12 to Opera Next. I'm still using Opera 12 because it uses bookmarks properly and has all my email and RSS feeds and poo poo, but I've found Opera Next to just be so much drat faster for basic browsing, like it's easily five to ten times faster and is a lot more stable and clean. But today I found it hanging a whole bunch, like I'd click the icon and it'd take over three minutes to load and then crash a lot. I figured I'd had something screwy break with the last update, so I went to the website to download the second to last version.

Apparently, "Opera" and "Opera Next" are still two different browsers, and I downloaded Opera 20 without realizing it wasn't the newest version of Opera Next. So now I've got three versions of the same bloody browser sitting on my taskbar.

Also I find it somewhat amusing that they still have Opera 12 on their site, ready to download.

I have four - 12, stable, developer, nightly. Apart from 12, Firefox does exactly the same thing, with stable, Beta and Aurora. Stable is meant to just work, beta is for things that should be good enough to move to stable soon, and aurora is for whatever stuff the developers are playing with.

As for still having 12, they decided to not force people over - and not offering 12 for download would be a form of coercion, so ...

Also, I would say opera and chrome are at a comparable level of features now. Chrome does have bookmarks, but if you're like the vast majority of users and only have a single-digit number of them , you'll do fine with opera's speed dial thing instead. If you have a few pages of bookmarks you'd like to keep, chrome is probably better.

They are also looking at ways to make stash more useful, and that could end up being a decent way to handle a lot of bookmarks, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I know bookmarks were gone for a while and the great bookmarks controversy is totally worth bringing up as an example of bone-headed ideas in the post-12 world, but didn't they finally add bookmarks back somewhere around version 18? Or is there something wrong with the implementation that makes it still not really bookmarks?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Computer viking posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

"It" of course being any given feature.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Decided to give the new Opera a try ... and I kind of like it to be honest. It's a nice simple interface, it's fast, it has pin tabs (which admittedly could be a bit bigger), integrates with the OSX keychain and has a 1password extension. Going to try it as a main browser for a couple of days and see what quirks I run into that I didn't know I had.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lakitu7 posted:

I know bookmarks were gone for a while and the great bookmarks controversy is totally worth bringing up as an example of bone-headed ideas in the post-12 world, but didn't they finally add bookmarks back somewhere around version 18? Or is there something wrong with the implementation that makes it still not really bookmarks?

They added a "bookmark bar" that you can add pages to, which is probably what you're thinking about. Apart from that there's the speed dial page (which lets you create folders, so you can keep it reasonably organized), and the stash (which can be zoomed out to become a list of page titles).

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
While the release date is unfortunate, Otter just pushed Alpha 4 - normal round of minor fixes and tweaks, but it also has 'core' browser features Full Screen & User Agent spoofing.

I'm starting to have some serious hope for that project that they will actually bring us an OSS Opera 12 clone this year. There's been steady progress and while there's still a ways to go, the work is consistent.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
I'm on opera 12.5.

Have they fixed everything yet, can I upgrade?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Nope. Ask again next year.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

Riso posted:

Nope. Ask again next year.

thanks for that, im getting nagged everytime i reboot my pc which is like once a quarter. (Thanks Vista! for incredible stability)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I get an update prompt every single time I open the POS, so if that's a killer feature to you, by all means download it.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
If you're on 12.15, the auto-updater will update to 12.16. Using it is safe. Once you're on 12.16, you should not receive prompts for upgrade.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
12.16 has some rendering bugs that 12.14 doesn't have and you might want to stay away because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

Hexaemeron posted:

If you're on 12.15, the auto-updater will update to 12.16. Using it is safe. Once you're on 12.16, you should not receive prompts for upgrade.

LOL hadn't thought about that, been so scared of chrome pollution