Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

dammit, Bavaria

I didn't know the Bürgerbräukeller had a hotel attached!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
edit: nevermind

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 13, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, so I'm hosting this couch surfer from Munich. Sometimes I respond "Ja Ja" she giggles and that means "lick my rear end in a top hat" in German - as in agreeing in sarcasm. I'm totally confused because Dutch and South Africans say Ja Ja all the time. Please help me understand

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It's more like "gently caress off", not literally licking arseholes. She's right though.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF5W-Z5o68E

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Zwille posted:

It's more like "gently caress off", not literally licking arseholes. She's right though.

Yeah. She probably said "lick my rear end in a top hat" because "leck mich am Arsch" literally means that but essentially means "gently caress off."

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh man thanks for clarifying this.

Weird thing is I hear my German clients say "ja ja" from time to time during their discussions.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

It depends on tone. "Ja" just means "yes," but saying it twice quickly and dismissively can mean "gently caress off."
E: and it's not vulgar, to be clear. It can just sound insulting and implies that you should gently caress off with whatever you're saying.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

It depends on tone. "Ja" just means "yes," but saying it twice quickly and dismissively can mean "gently caress off."
E: and it's not vulgar, to be clear. It can just sound insulting and implies that you should gently caress off with whatever you're saying.

I've lived in Germany for over four years now and I shudder to think at the amount of times I may have accidentally told people to gently caress off purely because I didn't know that this was A Thing.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Drone posted:

I've lived in Germany for over four years now and I shudder to think at the amount of times I may have accidentally told people to gently caress off purely because I didn't know that this was A Thing.
I would suggest making
part of the curriculum of German as second language classes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Ja ja" is completely normal conversation filler. 99% of the time people are just quoting the movie in response. You'd have to put on a seriously dismissive/bored tone for it to seriously be taken as "gently caress off", like so much so that you might as well be saying it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's exactly the same in English.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah. Maybe the way caberham was saying it lined up with how Germans say it dismissively. My Lovely Horse and Doc Hawkins are right, though; it's like English in that it can be innocent but with just the right tone it could (deliberately or not) sound insulting. It's easier to sound dismissive with it than saying "yeah yeah" in English, though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gonna :spergin:

Obviously there's a whole bunch of cues you can read from people. Sure different cultures have stresses which makes picking up the cues harder. None the less, it's still possible to read people - somehow. And of course everyone's different so take what you will.

I thought it's just kind of like the English translation of "sure sure", or "sure, sure" or "yeah yeah" or "yeah, yeah", or "okay okay", or "okay, okay" or whatever combination as you interpret it. My dutch goon friends like to say it as a way of reaffirmation.

What really weirds me out is that their body language or tone didn't sound as bad, Or maybe they are super diplomatic. I don't know. It was more of a sheepish answer when I hear it.

Oh and now "nice" is actually condescending too.

Like holy poo poo this German couch surfing guest is really friendly, energetic, and smart to hang out with. Because she's trying her best to be a nice guest and I'm trying my best to be a nice host. But when when calmly explains the nuances of the language my mind gets blown :tviv:

It's as if she's checking all the boxes for "serious, pragmatic, cold humor" kind of stereotype. My only interaction with Germans is not much, and even if there is any it's with clients who are very efficient and business like which is wonderful. And goons. Goons who want to show up and meet internet strangers are cool. But nonetheless fit the profile of a nerdy boy who furiously types/lurks on SA

Ok done with my stupid anecdotes

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I hate beer so what better time to go to Germany than October. :v:

I am from San Francsico and am being sent to Spain in a week for work, I am going to take a brief holiday in Germany afterward.

I am going to Stuttgart for 2 nights, arriving at 9PM and leaving at 9AM; so I won't be there long. I am going to the mercedes benz museum and beyond that I searched the thread and have an idea of what and where to eat while there; specifically german, french, italian, and hamburgers.

I then travel to Berlin for 2 nights, arriving in the afternoon and leaving in the morning; I am going to the burlesque festival the night I arrive and I expect to go to the flea market, museum island, and (time permitting) the technology museum during the day. Unlike Stuttgart, Berlin is mentioned in a lot of posts without much information about specific places; there's russian, an irish pub,steak + hamburgers, and a couple other burger places. Is there anything else recommended for food in Berlin?

Also, in both Stuttgart and Berlin, are there any full / cocktail bars (I only drink vodka) that are particularly good?

PS: Any goons want to grab food/drinks in Stuttgart on the 20th or 21st or in Berlin on the 22nd or 23rd?

Edit for typos and an update:
don't miss a high-speed train departure
pay close attention to the station name the train is at
gently caress Germany is cold in october
a day and night is totally the right amount of time in Stuttgart (unless you go to the Porsche museum too, I guess)
the Mercedes museum is amazingly awesome
nothing compares to the fervor of soccer fans
Vodafone sucks
turns out reservations are a thing to consider when going out to eat
totally need more than a day and a half in Berlin
whomever is in charge of the neues museum failed at experience continuity
ordering a cocktail is a challenge in a foreign country, made worse when they really don't know english all that well
play mini metro if you stared at metro maps too much while in europe

If I were in Germany for more than a couple days I would have looked into Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, and Thai. Being from the San Francisco area in California means that I am surrounded with amazing places in each of those categories. Turns out the sleep deprivation mixed with the jet lag and hit me hard in Berlin, I didn't really accomplish much that second night other than sleeping.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 26, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been assured that Chaparro offers the most authentically Mexican food you can get in Germany, and I've had nothing but good experiences going there. The same goes for Cocoro; it's actually a tea house/sake bar, but they have a small Japanese menu and everything is very good. It's actually not that easy to find Japanese food that isn't mainly sushi, so it makes for a nice change. I was also very happy with a visit to Hashi although that area in particular is full of bars and restaurants and I can't vouch for it in comparison.

If you like flavoured vodka, you might want to check out Trespassers. It's a little out of the way, but worth going off the main path. Try the chipotle vodka.

e: cocktail bars: I've been to Würgeengel once or twice and it was pretty good, but I don't know how it ranks among the entirety of them.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I can confirm that Chaparro is the poo poo. Markthalle 9 is close by and they usually have a good selection of food too. Check their website in advance.

Wedding has good & cheap Chinese and Thai food:

The Chinese thing has good Szechuan stuff like Ma Po. It's cheap and greasy.

Asia Deli
Seestraße 41, 13353 Berlin
030 91441925
https://goo.gl/maps/Ta5hugPxbip

The Thai joint is very small and very good, closes at 8 pm though. Supposedly the Thai embassy orders their food there. You can't even find it on google properly. Tell them you want it real spicy if that's your thing. I think the do that thing where you tell them what you like and they'll try to cook something up.

Gesetzte Markierung
bei Reinickendorfer Str. 96-97, 13347 Berlin
https://goo.gl/maps/21CUJGq7vm62

For drinks, Offside is a nice spacious Irish style pub that specializes in whiskey (seriously, they have like 100 at least). They should have some vodkas too. Very friendly. Interesting ceiling. Darts. Order Guiness and they draw a clover in the foam. I don't know about you but I think that's lovely.

OFFSIDE Pub & Whisky Bar
Jülicher Str. 4, 13357 Berlin
030 60267317
https://goo.gl/maps/StZnCDTZtS32

F bar is close by, much smaller, you can smoke & they specialize in hipster poo poo. Lots of exotic~~~~ beers and cocktails. Worth it for the hallway leading to the toilets. I'm pretty sure they should have a selection of vodkas, failing that they have a lot of gin to chose from.

Fos Bar
Grüntaler Str. 9, 13357 Berlin
030 1234666
https://goo.gl/maps/finEmKBqcMw

Jansen bar is in Schöneberg and has a huge selection of cocktails that pack a mean punch. The location is a bit boring but I think the drinks are a generous size. Don't order another Tiefseetaucher when they bring you the first and ask if you wanna order another because Happy Hour is about to end.

Jansen Bar – Cocktail Bar
Gotenstraße 71, 10829 Berlin
0175 7123173
https://goo.gl/maps/cyUkRfNZ4h62

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Hi, im flying to Berlin during the middle of december for 4 days.

Haven't decided on where to stay. Need some advice on reasonably priced accommodation. I'm travelling alone (mid-twenties male) and i will mostly be checking out historical and cultural sights, and maybe do a little christmas shopping. Not much partying.

By reasonably priced i'm thinking maybe 20-50 EUR/night?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 24, 2016

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Hey y'all, I'm meeting my parents in Cologne tonight and we wanted to eat out somewhere nice in the Altstadt but maybe a little less touristy than Früh or whatever. Any suggestions? :)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Hey y'all, I'm meeting my parents in Cologne tonight and we wanted to eat out somewhere nice in the Altstadt but maybe a little less touristy than Früh or whatever. Any suggestions? :)

Don't go eat in the Altstadt. If you want a Brauhaus, try something like Früh em Veedel (Chlodwigplatz) or Hellers. Another good option for German food is Oma Kleinmann on the Zülpicherstraße.

If you just want a nice dinner, there are a lot of options in the Südstadt (Spiesekammer, Massimo, 485°, Alteburger Hof, Capricorn i Aries). Zippiri is a good Italian place near Agnesviertel (haltestelle Reichenspergerplatz). Meister Gerhard (near Rathenauplatz) and La Barra (Barbarossapkatz) are nice places for tapas.

Pepe in the Belgisches viertel was also nice, as is Balthasar.

If you really need to eat near the Altstadt, try the Brauerei zur Malzmühle or Peters Brauhaus.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 24, 2016

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Gold and a Pager posted:

Don't go eat in the Altstadt. If you want a Brauhaus, try something like Früh em Veedel (Chlodwigplatz) or Hellers. Another good option for German food is Oma Kleinmann on the Zülpicherstraße.

If you just want a nice dinner, there are a lot of options in the Südstadt (Spiesekammer, Massimo, 485°, Alteburger Hof, Capricorn i Aries). Zippiri is a good Italian place near Agnesviertel (haltestelle Reichenspergerplatz). Meister Gerhard (near Rathenauplatz) and La Barra (Barbarossapkatz) are nice places for tapas.

Pepe in the Belgisches viertel was also nice, as is Balthasar.

If you really need to eat near the Altstadt, try the Brauerei zur Malzmühle or Peters Brauhaus.

Hah yeah I probably wouldn't choose to eat in the Altstadt at all, but my parents are getting in kinda late and just want something nearby. We're in the city all weekend, though, so we'll probably check out the non-Altstadt options over the next couple of days. Thanks for the recommendations!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
edit: nvm

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 14, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
What are Berlin's most interesting cultural/historical/religious sights from before the wars? I know that it's not really the right city for that, but that's where we're headed, and I'm not interested in the nazis and all the associated stuff. All I've got is Charlottenburg basically (and all the museums ofc). We're staying in the way south of Friedrichshain if that's relevant.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Sanssouci, Zitadelle Spandau? There's also the old village center near Richardplatz around Karl-Marx-Straße. Domäne Dahlem might fit your bill too, I dunno.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's always Potsdam. Decent castle grounds

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You'll mostly need to leave the city for that. Did the renovation on Gedächtniskirche ever finish? That's probably the most famous pre-but-postwar landmark in Berlin and it's fairly impressive.

Also both the Reichstag and Schloss Bellevue are prewar but since one of them is now half modernist glass dome and the other is where the president lives, neither of them -look- terribly old.

Berlin's history and landmarks are understandably much more focused on the Cold War.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The Stadtschloss! :v:

yuck :suicide:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Gibt es in Rheinland-Pfalz Fasching und wenn ja, heißt das, dass da zwischen Weiberfastnach und Aschermittwoch keiner arbeitet?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Randler posted:

Gibt es in Rheinland-Pfalz Fasching und wenn ja, heißt das, dass da zwischen Weiberfastnach und Aschermittwoch keiner arbeitet?

Nur falls das eine ernstgemeinte Frage war mit "gibt es da Fasching": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainzer_Fastnacht

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hollow Talk posted:

Nur falls das eine ernstgemeinte Frage war mit "gibt es da Fasching": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainzer_Fastnacht

Dass es in Mainz Fasching gibt, ist mir bekannt. Ich kenne mich aber in den Volksbräuchen von Rheinland-Pfalz überhaupt nicht aus und weiß daher nicht, ob das was flächendeckendes ist, oder auf bestimmte Regionen im Land beschränkt ist.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Randler posted:

Dass es in Mainz Fasching gibt, ist mir bekannt. Ich kenne mich aber in den Volksbräuchen von Rheinland-Pfalz überhaupt nicht aus und weiß daher nicht, ob das was flächendeckendes ist, oder auf bestimmte Regionen im Land beschränkt ist.

Das wird sich "als solches" schlecht sagen lassen. Die größeren Städte (alle drei oder so :v:) haben jeweils etablierte Karnevalstraditionen und ziehen natürlich darüber hinaus Leute aus dem Umland an. Zusätzlich ist auch Köln nicht weit, gerade im "Norden" hat man also sogar richtig Auswahl. Du hast ein gewisses Gefälle von Nord nach Süd, wobei es im Süden zwar auch durchaus Traditionen und Umzüge gibt, allerdings nicht im selben Umfang wie in Mainz oder Trier. Es gibt hier eine ganz nette (kleine) Übersicht: http://www.swr.de/fastnacht/wissens...y3zt/index.html Ich verstehe halt die Frage immer noch nicht so ganz. Ist die Grundidee, dass du gerne wüsstest, ob es möglich ist jemanden im Büro zu erreichen? Oder willst du einfach nur generell wissen ob eine wie auch immer geartete Chance besteht, dass jemand irgendwo betrunken in einem Blumenbeet liegt? Oder wirst du irgendwo unterwegs sein und möchtest entweder teilnehmen oder möglichst vor allem fliehen?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a zugezogener Berliner, but it's always extremely funny to me when People visit Berlin "for the German experience", because this city firmly hates everything to do with Germany and is totally incomparable to the rest of the country for the most part. And that is exactly why the people who move here, move here.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's true for every city. And in a lot of ways, Berlin is German as gently caress.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Berlin is probably the least German major city. Much as London is a horrifically un-English city, and I'm sure the same is true of Paris for France.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cebrail posted:

That's true for every city. And in a lot of ways, Berlin is German as gently caress.

Wirf uns Deutsche nicht mit den Schwaben in einen Topf!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Drone posted:

Berlin is probably the least German major city. Much as London is a horrifically un-English city, and I'm sure the same is true of Paris for France.

Berlin is 10 times more German than Munich. And Berlin is more than Mitte, Kreuzberg and half of Neukölln. You're right about London, but most of Berlin is a microcosm of Germany, almost every Viertel is archetypical for a part of Germany.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 22, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hands up who immediately thought of Prenzlauer Berg.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lots of opinions from people who definitely don't live in Berlin lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cebrail posted:

Berlin is 10 times more German than Munich. And Berlin is more than Mitte, Kreuzberg and half of Neukölln. You're right about London, but most of Berlin is a microcosm of Germany, almost every Viertel is archetypical for a part of Germany.

this post is so fundamentally clueless, and so obviously written by someone who knows nothing of berlin, im not sure if i should laugh or cry

"viertel" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

oliwan posted:

this post is so fundamentally clueless, and so obviously written by someone who knows nothing of berlin, im not sure if i should laugh or cry

"viertel" lmao

:rolleyes:

Fahr mal raus aus Mitte, nach Hellersdorf, Erkner oder Köpenick, oder nach Griebnitzsee oder sogar einfach nach Treptow und zeig mal ganz genau, wie UNDEUTSCH LOL das alles ist.

fake-edit: Am Potsdamer Platz gibt es voll gar keine Deutschen, alter! Alles Touris!