Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Nephilm posted:

Might be worth a try. I'll look up a disassembly guide to make sure I don't break anything on the way in.

You should probably try without taking it apart first, just like aiming the air to one side of the wheel and then the other, repeating a few times after rotating the wheel a little bit.

edit VVVV Right, well, fair enough then!

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Mastigophoran posted:

You should probably try without taking it apart first, just like aiming the air to one side of the wheel and then the other, repeating a few times after rotating the wheel a little bit.

Oh, I already tried that, then felt silly because there really isn't enough clearance on an MX518 for it to be done meaningfully. Maybe with a thin nozzle on an air compressor, and then i'd be wary of doing it blindly.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
edit because I am bad at reading threads fully before replying.

Disassembly requires removing the feet, which is a difficult and, in many instances, non-reversible activity. Feet tend to get bent irreparably or separated from their foam backers when removed. Be careful if you do that.

If it's still within warranty, call the Support team first.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh, well, it's mostly functional, so I could live with it a bit longer I guess. It's ~5 years so no warranty.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goo posted:

The dual-mode wheel is a Logitech-exclusive design. We aren't licensing it to anyone.
...and this alone will probably keep me locked in for years to come. :cheeky: I seem to recall the M602 does not have this, which might be a show-stopper for me even though I'd love the battery life.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
You are correct that the G602 does not have the dual-mode scroll wheel.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

For whatever it's worth, my ideal mouse would be:
  • M602 body, especially button placement
  • M602/MX Performance battery life
  • MX Performance Darkfield technology
  • M700 wired charging
  • M700 dual-mode scroll wheel
  • M700 paint job (I travel for work, and don't exactly want a mouse that screams "Look at me! Ask me about video games!")

Edit: ∨∨∨ I had no idea it had those impacts. It's actually the least of my requirements, as a 6"x6" cloth mousepad is easy to transport.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 6, 2014

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Darkfield is terrible for games. Also it breaks your G602 battery life request.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
G602 question: Is there a way to get the G-keys to act as mouse6, mouse7, mouse8, etc? I'm using OSX. I can unbind them but they stop working, and if I bind them, I have to pick some command or key for them to be.

OSX recognizes mouseN by default, and things like my middle button on my MX518 (mouse6) were usable.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Goo posted:

Every wireless engineer I've asked this question has told me that the BT HID chips we have available to us don't communicate faster than 8ms. I can ask again, but it's not for lack of interest in Bluetooth that we've gone with custom solutions. Ultimately it's for performance and ease of use.

The dual-mode wheel is a Logitech-exclusive design. We aren't licensing it to anyone.

Have you ever thought about striking a deal with a laptop manufacturer to build the unifying receiver in? I can't imagine it costs much to build.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

Does anyone else other than Logitech offer a mouse with a clutched wheel? Gaming without clicks feels wrong, but the ability to whip down a long page in one shot is brilliant. I love the feel of Logitechs, but after having an MX510, two G5v1s, and now my MXRev all develop the same phantom click issue on the left button (and the middle on the MXRev) I'm hesitant to buy another one.

The Razer Mamba looks interesting even without the magic wheel thanks to its dual-mode wired/wireless operation, but build quality seems to be questionable with a lot of reports of buttons malfunctioning out of the box or soon after purchase. It also looks a bit small in photos (haven't seen one in person) which would be a problem for me. For reference I'm one of the people who preferred the OG Xbox "Duke" controller to the "S" model, so I guess I have big hands compared to average gamers.

Quoting myself because I came across some things that ended up bringing me right back around to Logitech.

First, apparently the "S" model G-line mice have new switches that supposedly finally resolve the inevitable button failures that plagued previous models.

Second, the G700s offers the same dual-mode functionality as the Razer I mentioned.

Needless to say, I now have a G700s on my desk and am so far pretty happy with it. The shape is good, the texture is good, plenty of buttons, and it has the wheel I know and love.

Sort of disappointed that the autoclutch is gone, but manually clutching before whipping down a forum thread is worth it when the other choice was to not have the freewheel mode at all.

The charge cable is stiffer than I'd prefer, that's my only real complaint right now though. Hopefully it'll wear in over time.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously
I'm looking for good mouse for my surface pro. 80-90% of the time I'll be using the mouse on the bed and various bedding/couch material. When I google for this, the first thing that comes up is the M515. This mouse isn't really sold in stores anymore.

I was wondering if there was a similar and more recent mouse that would be suitable. The similarity I'm looking for is the completely closed off bottom section of the mouse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

wolrah posted:

The charge cable is stiffer than I'd prefer, that's my only real complaint right now though. Hopefully it'll wear in over time.

Eh, maybe a little. I've owned mine for about 7 months now. I still unplug it the second I'm fully charged.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

G602 report. I got it and I really like it! My biggest gripes are the lack of a hyperfast scrolling wheel like the performance mx has and the fact that the side buttons seem very sharp. I wish they were a little more rounded but otherwise it feels great. I am so far really happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tom Foolery posted:

I'm looking for good mouse for my surface pro. 80-90% of the time I'll be using the mouse on the bed and various bedding/couch material. When I google for this, the first thing that comes up is the M515. This mouse isn't really sold in stores anymore.

I was wondering if there was a similar and more recent mouse that would be suitable. The similarity I'm looking for is the completely closed off bottom section of the mouse.

I don't have any ideas for alternatives but the couch mouse (M515) is available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Couch-Mouse-M515-Silver/dp/B004HIN8N2

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I've had my G700 for about a year, and the charging cable does not get any better. You can, however, use any standard micro-USB cable just fine. I've gotten so used to no wires, though, that I leave it unplugged while using it unless the battery is about to, and just recharge it every night like my phone. It's one of the things that makes the M602 so tempting.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Does anyone have experience with wrist rests? I've been having some trouble with my mousing wrist, and I was thinking of getting a nice little cushion to support it. I saw this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Imak-IMAA10165-Mouse-Cushion-Black/dp/B000VBLF7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391745245&sr=8-3&keywords=imak. It looks pretty comfy. It's cheap enough that I may just get it and try it out, but if someone had advice, that would be appreciated.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Baldrash posted:

Does anyone have experience with wrist rests? I've been having some trouble with my mousing wrist, and I was thinking of getting a nice little cushion to support it. I saw this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Imak-IMAA10165-Mouse-Cushion-Black/dp/B000VBLF7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391745245&sr=8-3&keywords=imak. It looks pretty comfy. It's cheap enough that I may just get it and try it out, but if someone had advice, that would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000JRRD/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 THis is what I use and it works great with this g602 I just got. Also worked fine with a performance mx and a m508 I think it was.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Hopefully this is kosher, I'm selling a used G400s in SA-Mart.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ok, I'm looking for some suggestions regarding a question that I can't really answer from just looking at mouse pictures.

I recently replaced my dying MX518 with a G500s during a recent Logitech sale on Amazon. I actually really like most everything about the mouse except for one giant dealbreaker: I really hate the grip material on the sides of the mouse. It feels like some sort of blend of plastic, rubber, and sandpaper that is kind of irritating to hold and I can barely stand to use it when my hands are particularly dry. The material on the top of the mouse also has just a super dry feeling to it as well, but it's not quite as bad.

The MX518 was a bit better in this regard, but the sides still had more friction than I'd like. On top of that, after using it for awhile the coating on the side kind of wore down and left certain areas of the mouse with a sticky feel that just doesn't go away.

For reference, a material that I really like is the plastic on the Dualshock 4. It's got a real hard, solid feel to it, the top of the controller is smooth while the bottom has a sort of textured plastic that adds a bit of grip while also being super comfortable to touch.

Basically what I'm looking for is a mouse with design similar to the MX518/G500s (same general ergonomic design, 2-3 side buttons, adjustable DPI) but made from material that feels real good to hold, like the plastic on the DS4.

Any suggestions?

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 7, 2014

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
fwiw that hard sandpaper plastic feel goes away after using the mouse for a month or two

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a slightly unusual problem, I want to use two keyboards and mice with my PC and a VM so I can dedicate one set of controls to the host (Windows 7) and another to the VM. I currently have a Logitech MX5500 keyboard only (bought second hand), an M510 mouse, and a K400r keyboard/trackpad combo, I would like to use the K400r with the VM. Unfortunately, in order to dedicate one set of controls the VM, I would need to tell virtual box to filter the USB receiver (make it so the host cant see it) and both the K400r and the M510 use the same unifying receiver. Virtualbox can not differentiate between two identical Logitech unifying receivers.

I've come to the conclusion that my best solution for this problem is to get a wireless mouse that does not use the same Logitech unifying receiver as the K400r, Ideally I would like to use bluetooth since my keyboard uses bluetooth. What mouse should I get that is wireless, and does not use a Logitech unifying receiver? Bonus if it is only a 2 button scroll wheel mouse, I don't want a tilt wheel or a side buttons, I never use those features. I don't think I need a gaming mouse as I only play sim/civ like games.

Also, I know this is not the keyboard thread, but I am assuming someone might know the answer - when my MX5500 goes to sleep (er, when it hasn't been used for a while, I'm not sure this keyboard actually has a sleep mode) I have to type a few words before what I'm typing is recognized. I am using a Best Buy Rocketfish bluetooth adapter (I have no idea what the specs are) is this issue something that might improve with a better bluetooth adapter?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What's the best mouse for a righthander with a claw grip that doesn't look like it was designed by a stoned teenager who just watched transformers dark of the moon tokyo drift?

I love the look of the magic mouse but of course I'd never use that thing.

Though I actually don't hate the look of the deathadder (though everyone says it's bad?) and some of the zowie and steelseries mice.

Wireless is a big plus.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone here have experienced mouse being suddenly disconnected and later reconnected?

I have a g700s which has been working great but lately I get random disconnects when I am moving the mouse around while browsing the internet or playing games.

I also have a g602 that I have it turned off most of the time, is that a problem for the g700s? I don't actually have the wireless transmitter connected for the g700s so there shouldn't be interference issue.

thanks.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

Rexxed posted:

I don't have any ideas for alternatives but the couch mouse (M515) is available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Couch-Mouse-M515-Silver/dp/B004HIN8N2
Yeah I know it's on amazon but I'm uncomfortable paying money for a mouse that I don't get to try out. I mean, technically you can return the mouse to amazon if you're not satisfied -at least I presume you can do that- but it's not as easy to return it as it is when you're dealing with a brick and mortar store.

At any rate, I ended up purchasing 8 different mice since my initial post. Seven of them were returned, leaving me with a final purchase of the Microsoft Wireless 3500 mouse.

Reasons that this mouse won:
- 15 dollar price tag when office depot price matched staples.com price
- I can middle click without any fuss and without applying an insane amount of force
- bluetrack technology is better than your run-of-the-mill optical, or so I've read
- has enough padding on the bottom to slide along my bed just fine. I tried the Logitech m325 and it kept getting snagged
- the scroll wheel isn't hyper sensitive like the Microsoft 4000 and the Logitech m325

Other mice I tried:
- Logitech m325
- Microsoft wireless 4000
- Some off-brand mouse that was complete trash
- Logitech M570 wireless
- Kensington Orbit Wireless Trackball
- Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse
- Logitech Wireless M560

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Does anyone have experience disassembling a Logitech MX Revolution? Or know if you can get parts anywhere? I've had one for 4 years now and it's been great, but the left-click is sketchy now and won't let me click-and-drag at times. Single clicks work fine, but any click and hold longer than a half second or so gets released.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Soopafly posted:

Does anyone have experience disassembling a Logitech MX Revolution? Or know if you can get parts anywhere? I've had one for 4 years now and it's been great, but the left-click is sketchy now and won't let me click-and-drag at times. Single clicks work fine, but any click and hold longer than a half second or so gets released.
You don't need spare parts, you just need to disassemble it enough to fix the microswitch. Either it's just dirty and cleaning the contact will fix it, or it needs a bit of bend put back in the spring. Pictorial. (Not your mouse but the principle is the same.)

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Cool, thanks for the link - will give it a shot tonight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ok, I just bought a Logitech G602. So far I'm liking it, although I wish the mouse were a little wider with a more pronounced ledge to rest my pinky and a slightly higher ledge to rest my thumb. I also would have prefered a chunkier scrollwheel.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Ive been rolling with the zowie mice for a while now, both the Evo EC1 and EC2. Really like them. The scroll can be a bit annoying tough, other then that it has an awesome rubber coating. Pretty bang for the buck, even though they are around the $75 mark.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Goo, if you're still around are you guys considering a wired/wireless G602 style mouse? I'm really liking the 602 but I'd love a 700s style rechargable corded/cordless option even more. (Especially if it had finer grained dpi adjustment :allears:)

Also, props for finally putting in a sniper-button DPI functionality in the logitech software - that's a huge plus.

e: Just wanted to echo the "really like the 602, a wider option would be great" comment from a couple of posts up. I think the g9x was about 1cm wider than the 700/602 and it felt amazing.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 13, 2014

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Welp I just bought a NIB SteelSeries Ikari Laser for 20.50$ on eBay, can't wait to receive it. :)

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Picked up a G602 as well. Excellent mouse, greatly enjoying it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You don't need a built in charger when you get 250 hours of use off two AA's. Chargers are for mice that go dead every other day and half the time they're left plugged in anyway.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

If anyone has the Steelseries Rival, there is a bug with the current firmware and software which switches the CPI up and down randomly 50-100 CPI from the setting that it is currently on. Haven't seen anything from Steelseries on it so I am hoping it is fixed soon.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
my Func MS-3 Scroll wheel has decided that when I try to fast scroll it will just bounce up and down. I bought it second hand from ebay. Any suggestions to fix it or a replacement for large handed player.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Blow into the wheel robustly. Report back.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I need to buy a new mouse, the touchpad on my loaner netbook is driving me crazy.

I'm looking at getting the Logitech G100s; it's inexpensive, I don't really need extra buttons, and people here seem to like Logitech.
Is that a safe choice? Is it comfortable to use, particularly with relatively small hands?

My wrist has been tingling a bit, which is rather worrying.
Has anyone used that crazy Evoluent vertical mouse?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
If you want something cheap and simple, why not get a Logitech M100?.

It's almost a third the price, it's pretty small and it's so simple nothing can really go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Actually, that sounds like a really good idea.

I'm not going to be missing much if I don't splurge on something pricier, right?