Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

That still seems like a long time ago. I thought there were like three within the span of a couple weeks at the start of the last season.
I thought so too, but then I realized I was remembering watching them on the TV in the apartment I haven't lived in for two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'd rather take the 50/50 (or whatever) chance that Melissa gets it wrong though, rather than the risk of losing.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

wa27 posted:

I mean, the right way is to play for a tie because that's more exciting for me as a viewer.

Every once in a while an uncatchable player will deliberately bet to put themselves at risk, and those are always among the most fun moments. So I'm Pro Dangerous Betting, as long as it's not just an inadvertent dumb math mistake.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wow I had no clue they got rid of ties. I can see in tournaments but kinda dumb for regular season games.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Wow I had no clue they got rid of ties. I can see in tournaments but kinda dumb for regular season games.
Logistically, it makes sense. If you're running the show, you want to know how many contestants are actually going to air (though you still have really weird situations occasionally like a few months ago when everyone tied at $0 and no one came back). You don't want to have to bump someone from a taping day if you can avoid it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Chernobyl? Olympics? Come on people! That was a layup!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they got rid of ties because of arthur. it's better to play for a tie because you know you're bringing at least one person to the next game who's worse than you and he did it several times.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Jesus Christ stop with the video clues you chowderheads, that goes for the producers and the contestants who don't leave them for last.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, I've missed all the episodes this week (bad decisions and timing ahoy!), partially since I was still pretty disappointed by Phillip's loss last week.

I take it from the comments here that this week's episodes have been nothing really inspiring?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Jesus Christ stop with the video clues you chowderheads, that goes for the producers and the contestants who don't leave them for last.

you mean you don't enjoy clues that take up ten times as much time and don't actually get to the clue until the last line?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you mean you don't enjoy clues that take up ten times as much time and don't actually get to the clue until the last line?

The opera category was just painful. Placido Domingo was the only one who sorta had a reason to sing. But they could have done all those clues without having to do video clues.

E: and watching the secondary ep right now. Comic sans was actually a jeopardy clue. Comic loving sans.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 25, 2016

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Flagrant Abuse posted:

This was all I could think of during that soap opera category:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFGUEUVweU&t=105s

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

This was all I could think of during that soap opera category:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFGUEUVweU&t=105s

hahaha, perfect

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Groovelord Neato posted:

they got rid of ties because of arthur. it's better to play for a tie because you know you're bringing at least one person to the next game who's worse than you and he did it several times.

I'm picturing a scenario now where somebody intentionally gets Final Jeopardy wrong just to tie a second place player in an otherwise runaway game and it's a pretty fun mental picture.

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Hello, I'm Something Awful dot com forums poster and frequent Jeopardy viewer FadingChord. I enjoy wordy video clues for Jeopardy games, such as this one, where the video guest asked contestants to name the letter that follows A in the American English alphabet." (sings for five seconds in another language)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I usually like video clues, but the overly wordy ones are pretty bad. Sometimes the people featured just put way too much into them or are super awkward and slow reading them. Don't think they affected me so much though.

Decent game tonight, first one all week I caught. Got Final at the last minute, had to be something like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

video clues would be totally fine if final jeopardy didn't end like 21 minutes into the show. there is more than enough time for commercials/sponsors/getting every clue out literally every game.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

video clues would be totally fine if final jeopardy didn't end like 21 minutes into the show. there is more than enough time for commercials/sponsors/getting every clue out literally every game.
Not to mention the absurd 90 seconds of closing credits where they thank every person who ever did the Clue Crew a solid

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I don't have a lot to add about Jeopardy tonight but man some guy ran the table on Wheel of Fortune and it was a great night for that show.

The "Find the Canadian" category was a lot of fun on Jeopardy tonight, though. And yeah, tonight's video clues were a lot less obnoxious than the opera category on Thursday.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That's because Audra McDonald owns

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah I came here to make sure nobody was talking smack about her

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

FadingChord posted:

I don't have a lot to add about Jeopardy tonight but man some guy ran the table on Wheel of Fortune and it was a great night for that show.

I saw that. He really did run the table, getting those puzzles crazy early and only missing out on one when he couldn't figure out the last word. Two cruises, and didn't want to win the $33k in the bonus round? He got what, close to $90k, after the cruises and $45k bonus round cash... That was great.

The Find the Canadian category tonight was a trainwreck. I think I knew about half of them?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I knew about half, but I knew some because I knew the other two were NOT Canadian.

But that's a valid strategy, too, so I guess that's alright.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

I knew about half, but I knew some because I knew the other two were NOT Canadian.

But that's a valid strategy, too, so I guess that's alright.

Yeah, that was what I pretty much did there too. Wasn't sure about a couple of them, but I knew a bunch of people couldn't be Canadian, so process of elimination.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a Canadian, the only one I didn't know was the Galbraith one and I still got it out of process of elimination.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So today's returning champ is Bill Dauterive if Bill instead of Gilbert was the...effeminate.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
So, after I last posted here about getting an invite to the in-person audition in DC (and I very much appreciated the words of encouragement, and of course I RSVPed yes), I went on a short vacation to Montreal, and then the night before I returned, my dad was hospitalized with congestive heart failure and a seemingly imminent need for surgery, which then got delayed for two weeks until this past Tuesday. (The surgery went very well and he's recovering awesomely so far.) The result is that it's now three days until the audition and I've barely had time to think about it, let alone study up at all. But I'm sure I've worried about it a lot less than I would have if I'd had nothing else going on this month, so there's that. I need to figure out what to wear and I need to pick my five anecdotes (I've made a quick list of ten contenders, but one is about being a crazy cat lady, and another is about being the worst kind of Wikipedia nerd, so hopefully those won't make the final cut).

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Sorry, you can't top the anecdotes for today. "I'm here to prove my wife wrong, even though the first two weeks I watched the only answer I got was Ghandi"

And "I crocheted a 'giant squid vs blue whale" costume"

I'm torn as to which is better

But better than all is the April fools poo poo. Word of advice, watch sober or you will be so confused.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 1, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

todays episode was v good

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

April Fool's Day is an annoying day and Jeopardy! made it even more annoying.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Milton's story was literally the only interesting story I've ever heard on this show

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

April Fool's Day is an annoying day and Jeopardy! made it even more annoying.

Was Oliver part of the joke? "Dried" ice?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I enjoyed the clip of Alex walking in with no pants, and also the random contestants giving the same answer to clues however many years later but the stuff like the random noises and the daily double sign being upside down were kinda dumb.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

You guys are no fun, this episode was great.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

zakharov posted:

You guys are no fun, this episode was great.

I liked old school Alex with the 'fro.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

HookShot posted:

I enjoyed the clip of Alex walking in with no pants, and also the random contestants giving the same answer to clues however many years later but the stuff like the random noises and the daily double sign being upside down were kinda dumb.
The JEPARDY! logo was cute

Also, 4 in a row, can we finally break the dry spell on Monday?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

HookShot posted:

Look at this plebe, not recognizing wheel of fortune.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Vulture Culture posted:

The JEPARDY! logo was cute

Also, 4 in a row, can we finally break the dry spell on Monday?

Nope.

Great game tonight, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

By this point last season there were five winners of 5+ games after the ToC.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Smh at Trebek mispronouncing Texcoco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

We could have had it all, Todd