Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I just wanted to say thank you to all the goons who've booked trips with me this year. Because of all of you, I'm having my best year ever. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of you putting your trust in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

I just wanted to say thank you to all the goons who've booked trips with me this year. Because of all of you, I'm having my best year ever. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of you putting your trust in me.

You're getting my 2016 bounceback this Fall, Braks. And (assuming we move forward with it) My March trip too.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Braksgirl posted:

I'm not sure if it's worth your time but a friend and I are considering a trip to Japan next summer including Tokyo Disney. We are both pretty travel savvy considering our age but English translations seem a bit thin on the ground. If you have any basic info it would be really appreciated!

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Dugong posted:

I'm not sure if it's worth your time but a friend and I are considering a trip to Japan next summer including Tokyo Disney. We are both pretty travel savvy considering our age but English translations seem a bit thin on the ground. If you have any basic info it would be really appreciated!

Very basic guide to DisneySea here. I'm also going to Tokyo in October, if you have any precise questions I can try to answer them!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Dugong posted:

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about Tokyo Disney. I'm not even sure I'm allowed to book it since it's not technically owned by Disney.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
You've been great! Especially since my parents have been slow about things - though to be fair, they are also booking a South American cruise for this fall as well.

Opinion on Jiko vs Boma? I'm starting to throw together ADRs and am going for what's available right now, Makarresh for Saturday dinner, and Sunday is going to be AK. Jiko is two ADRs, but since we will be leaving Tuesday afternoon, we will end up using that.

Dinner things- dinner gets a drink, entrée, and dessert, but appetizer is on us?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yes, apps are extra on the dining plan unless you get the more expensive plans. Alcohol is also extra.

I have heard nothing but great things about Boma. I've never eaten there or at Jiko so no personal experience, but I would probably go to Boma just from the recommendations I've heard.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anya posted:

Opinion on Jiko vs Boma?

Boma. It has stuff for everybody and it's all excellent. People also lose their minds over the dessert, the Zebra Domes, because they have booze in them.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
In the grand scheme of things, probably upgrading dining plan so I can get an appetizer is a dumb idea. I remember people talking about Jiko and Boma but I couldn't remember what the consensus was on the better thing. Boma is buffet and Jiko is served - my dad may be more into buffet things...might end up switching.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It wouldn't save you money at all upgrading to get a free app, but if you want to have everything prepaid in advance, it's the way to go.

In other news, there's a new discount today. It's up to 25% off and the dates are Oct. 11-15, Oct 18-22, Nov. 1-7, Nov. 22-24 and Nov. 28-Dec. 23, 2015. Availability is severely limited. Unless they don't have all the inventory loaded into the booking system, it's so limited I'm not sure why they even bothered.

EDIT: Looks like they loaded the inventory. Still limited but I've been able to find a few things. Average savings is about $200.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 20, 2015

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Just popping in to say that Braks is *awesome* and everyone should just book through her. Just saved me a few hundred on my trip without having to swap hotels or anything, and already had it finalized by the time I hit 'send' on an email asking if the new discounts applied to me.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Question for the cast members:

I know Disney employees aren't allowed to receive tips (except for those traditionally tipped jobs like servers). Are cast members allowed to receive (tiny) gifts?

Reason I ask is when we go in October my daughter is going to be giving away Tsum Tsums. Hopefully with little cards if I can get around to making them. So if she sees a kid having a bad day she can give them one and a card saying to cheer up. Or if she makes a friend in line she can give them a Tsum Tsum for being a nice person. Stuff like that. I'm just wondering if she's able to give away a Tsum Tsum to a cast member if they do something really nice to her as a thank you. Or if that's not allowed. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm not a cast member obviously, but I'm pretty sure it's allowed. I don't know if y'all have heard of The Character Queen (he does dubsmash things on Facebook, we had him on our podcast a few weeks ago) but he gives stuff away to CMs all the time and they accept them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's a few videos floating around where park guests give presents to the characters; this video of the Star Wars Weekends character breakfast shows a woman giving out bead bracelets with character names on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clk4JkBVRoI

Dat Jawa :3:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pththya-lyi posted:

There's a few videos floating around where park guests give presents to the characters; this video of the Star Wars Weekends character breakfast shows a woman giving out bead bracelets with character names on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clk4JkBVRoI

Dat Jawa :3:

I suppose if there was one place on earth with multiple job opportunities specifically for midgets, it would be DisneyWorld.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Should I be trying to rebook my December trip? I think I already had some discount (I got something in the mail... idk Braks did it all for me cause she rocks)

But it sure would be sweet to pay less

I wonder if Universal also has discounts....

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I remember being told to refuse expensive gifts i.e. Rolexes, large sums of cash. My inlaw works VIP security details and he's received money, an iPod before and even a Playboy shirt from one of the three hoochies who were dating Hef when that show was still going on and they came down for something. Boy the stories from that detail.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Should I be trying to rebook my December trip? I think I already had some discount (I got something in the mail... idk Braks did it all for me cause she rocks)

But it sure would be sweet to pay less

I wonder if Universal also has discounts....

Your discount is better. You got a PIN code and that's pretty much always going to be the better deal plus you can't stack discounts. I got you. :D

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

I remember being told to refuse expensive gifts i.e. Rolexes, large sums of cash. My inlaw works VIP security details and he's received money, an iPod before and even a Playboy shirt from one of the three hoochies who were dating Hef when that show was still going on and they came down for something. Boy the stories from that detail.

There is corporate policy around gifts over a certain dollar amount, mostly to avoid vendors bribing you. Pretty sure little kids giving out Tsum Tsums is not on their radar.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, pretty much the same as corporate policies at all big businesses.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Generally they're told to refuse gifts three times. Then it would be management's say. A small gift like that under 75 bucks would most likely be okayed. Even when I'm on tour I have to refuse any tips three times.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Braks- would we qualify for the discount?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No, because the dates aren't quite right. The nearest check in date to yours is 10/18 and you check in on the 15th. It used to be if your dates fell anywhere in the time frame they'd let you use it but they don't do that anymore so far as I can tell. I'll double check it though.

ETA: I checked and you can have the promo if you check in after the promo starts but not before. Since the promo starts 10/18 a 10/15 check in doesn't apply.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Sad face! But I will live. I figured it probably would not happen, thanks Walt!

Has anyone taken any of the behind the scenes tours? My mom is really interested in taking one of the MK tours. She remembers watching Disneyland open for the very first time, on TV, and she's always wanted to see how everything works. She's not too crazy about hitting the big rides, being 67, but she is all about walking all over the place.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Anya posted:

Sad face! But I will live. I figured it probably would not happen, thanks Walt!

Has anyone taken any of the behind the scenes tours? My mom is really interested in taking one of the MK tours. She remembers watching Disneyland open for the very first time, on TV, and she's always wanted to see how everything works. She's not too crazy about hitting the big rides, being 67, but she is all about walking all over the place.

If you seriously want to walk all over the place, the Backstage Magic tour is awesome. Looks like it goes to all 4 parks now, when I took it we "only" went to MK/HS/Epcot, lasts like 7 hours. I had a blast when I went a few years ago. The Behind The Seeds tour at Epcot was also enjoyable, if you like botany. It's also only like $15.

I've heard good things about the Keys To The Kingdom tour at MK, and am planning on going on that during my trip later this year.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I have friends that have done Keys to the Kingdom. They enjoyed it, but if you're one of those people that doesn't like having the magic spoiled for it, it's not for you.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fun fact: You can now decline magic bands if you prefer to use one from a previous trip that is less than a year old. You have to do it via your MDE account on a computer as it doesn't work in the app yet. This is great because I've got a split stay coming up and I surely did not need 10 bands.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Braksgirl posted:

I surely did not need 10 bands.

Thats just crazy talk

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
In case of emergency, your magic bands can be used as a floatation device.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I had a stack of them that I just turned in on my last trip. Even though I'm there on business and don't sync my credit card or park entry passes they still give me one just for the room key. I kept forgetting to hand them in on my way out and had about 8 of them sitting around.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Sweet! I will make sure to tell mom. I would like to take a tour, but I honestly want to explore the rides and such, and would rather do it during a trip when I am there longer.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Thats just crazy talk

It kind of is crazy but I just can't with the bands. We're doing a split stay (Poly club level for 2 nights and AoA Cars suite for 3 nights) and they were going to ship us two sets of 5. That is a LOT of bands. Not to mention the 7 I already have from past trips.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

It kind of is crazy but I just can't with the bands. We're doing a split stay (Poly club level for 2 nights and AoA Cars suite for 3 nights) and they were going to ship us two sets of 5. That is a LOT of bands. Not to mention the 7 I already have from past trips.

I smell a Christmas tree theme coming.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

Fun fact: You can now decline magic bands if you prefer to use one from a previous trip that is less than a year old. You have to do it via your MDE account on a computer as it doesn't work in the app yet. This is great because I've got a split stay coming up and I surely did not need 10 bands.

Thank God. I have a drawer full of magic bands right now that I'm planning to take in for them to recycle. Thanks for posting this!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
But without all those magic bands, how could you get in on the next cool fashion accessory?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Cast members!

I'm headed to WDW in a few months with a group that includes one management-level cast member from DisneyLAND, and she's getting us all in to the park for free! Hooray! It'll be my first time at World while having been to Land a bazillion times! Double Hooray!

Also we're not staying on property.

Those two facts means we're not getting magic bands (as far as I can tell) and have no access to fastpass+. Is this correct? We don't use + in California so we're unsure of how things are gonna work for us in Florida.
Basically, do you know what all getting "signed in" by a California cast member entails? Our group size is within limits.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The CM should have guest passes for each person, which are physically a credit card format. They work like the old credit card format admission passes, which means you can use Fast Pass, you just have to go to a fast path kiosk/attendant and set them up there. AFAIK, the only functionality you won't have is the ability to tie your admission to your My Disney Experience app thingie, and manage the whole group at once.

That's how it worked last time I used CM guest passes, anyway, about a year ago.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If your Land CM has main gate passes or some kind of card ahead of time with a number you can link them to your MDE. That would enable you to make FP+ selections 30 days out. If you don't have a pass in hand ahead of time, then you won't be able to make FP+ choices until you get in the park.

I know this because my discount agent ticket can't be linked to my MDE acct because I have to pick it up at will call. *womp womp*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Braksgirl posted:

If your Land CM has main gate passes or some kind of card ahead of time with a number you can link them to your MDE. That would enable you to make FP+ selections 30 days out. If you don't have a pass in hand ahead of time, then you won't be able to make FP+ choices until you get in the park.

I know this because my discount agent ticket can't be linked to my MDE acct because I have to pick it up at will call. *womp womp*

Not sure if they can link the guest cards to non-cast member or spouse accounts, but the cast member can do the fast passes on their account 30 days out.