Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Chili posted:

Oh right and have a butterslug

404 slug not found

Still gonna meet that cat one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Good heavens

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Chili posted:

Oh right and have a butterslug

Woops, here's some more regal shots and other what have yous

Just a day's worth of fluff.

Sluggerscotch

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Butters is fantastic and I'm so glad he's doing well :kimchi:

Also congrats on the second baby!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Butterscotch posts are the best.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Congrats on #2 Chili!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My friend's tinycat rescue is going well. Adult cat is still aloof, but their dog continues to perform the mama role.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Resurrecting this dead thread to ask a question about animal rescue admin.

I adopted a cat I was fostering last year from a rescue run entirely by volunteers. Just before Christmas, he needed a dose of antibiotics for a kidney infection (which has now cleared up). The pet insurance company has contacted the rescue for his clinical history from his check-up when he first went into the rescue, and his pre-adoption appointment.

The rescue has kicked it back to me. They don't know which vet he saw, or who took him to those appointments (it wasn't me). If they ever made a note of what happened at those vet appointments, they certainly didn't give that information to me. This is about to be relevant because when my vet was examining him for the kidney infection, he found another issue that ought to have been picked up and treated a long time ago.

Is it normal for volunteer-run rescues to have zero information on the animals in their care? Do they routinely delete any information the moment that the cats are adopted? This isn't the first issue (previously, the rescue forgot to schedule a follow-up appointment which meant the cat ran out of medication, and an adoption had to be pushed back because they'd forgotten to get the cat microchipped). The rescue seems either borderline dangerously disorganised, or their vets are terrible, but I'm still reasonably new to fostering and maybe my expectations were wrong.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Gorgar posted:

Butterscotch posts are the best.

Agreed. Certainly what I need right now.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Does taking in or taking care of strays fit with this thread, or is there another one somewhere?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Gorgar posted:

Does taking in or taking care of strays fit with this thread, or is there another one somewhere?

This thread is fine.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah strays are just very, very outdoor cats.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lady Demelza posted:

Resurrecting this dead thread to ask a question about animal rescue admin.

I adopted a cat I was fostering last year from a rescue run entirely by volunteers. Just before Christmas, he needed a dose of antibiotics for a kidney infection (which has now cleared up). The pet insurance company has contacted the rescue for his clinical history from his check-up when he first went into the rescue, and his pre-adoption appointment.

The rescue has kicked it back to me. They don't know which vet he saw, or who took him to those appointments (it wasn't me). If they ever made a note of what happened at those vet appointments, they certainly didn't give that information to me. This is about to be relevant because when my vet was examining him for the kidney infection, he found another issue that ought to have been picked up and treated a long time ago.

Is it normal for volunteer-run rescues to have zero information on the animals in their care? Do they routinely delete any information the moment that the cats are adopted? This isn't the first issue (previously, the rescue forgot to schedule a follow-up appointment which meant the cat ran out of medication, and an adoption had to be pushed back because they'd forgotten to get the cat microchipped). The rescue seems either borderline dangerously disorganised, or their vets are terrible, but I'm still reasonably new to fostering and maybe my expectations were wrong.

Probably just disorganised being a volunteer org.

The place we fostered through was pretty organised and tended to keep good records, but for at least one foster, for whatever reason we ended up with the hard copy of her medical records, and at one point thought we had lost them.

And the vets are generally as good as they can persuade to do work on the cheap or pro bono, which can mean pretty variable.

At some point you may just have to be straight with the pet insurance about the records likely not existing, and about not being sure whether those appointments ever happened. In a way, it's not much different than if you'd picked up a stray.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

Agreed. Certainly what I need right now.

Heard loud and clear. Except a buttery update tonight or tomorrow.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Currently fostering these ornch brothers! Their home shelter is having a ringworm outbreak so they're bunking with me for at least the next two weeks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m a big fan of the dainty foot move from the one guy.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So.

Butterscotch was supposed to be dead two years ago.

He isn't.

He's very much alive and is showing no interest in death whatsoever.

He's in perfect health and spends most of his time doing what you'd expect:

Though with the arrival of mini chili two, lap real estate has yet again become more hotly contested.

But, he's persistent!

Still knows how to ask for what he wants:

And occasionally, he'll exert himself:

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
:swoon: This cat is the absolute best part of the whole dang forums. May he butter on for years and years more.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I love the Butterscotch. Long may he reign

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm glad he's so happy and healthy with you. Good job, both of you :kimchi:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

poronty posted:

:swoon: This cat is the absolute best part of the whole dang forums. May he butter on for years and years more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I know that it's been a long and rough road caring for Butterscotch. That cat will never know how lucky they are, but we will.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

(congrats on the arrival of babb #2, chili!)

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
b u t t e r p o s t s

I am so glad to see him thriving and flipping the middle finger to the vet. Thank you for being an amazing dad - cat and human (also congratulations on baby #2!)

I lost my orange buddy Graham in November; he was quite ill and while at the vet to get imaging and treatment, he threw a clot and died. His buddy Martin is an only cat now and he is VERY lonely. I think I'm ready to find a new cat friend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Working on a TNR project over the last few days with 22 cats and counting. You should TNR it's very fun.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
One of our ferals passed away. This really sucks. He was a monster but had so much love and compassion for his mates. Our family is really sad and I don't know to process this. Here's my post. We are now seven and man it really hurts.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Booger Presley posted:

One of our ferals passed away. This really sucks. He was a monster but had so much love and compassion for his mates. Our family is really sad and I don't know to process this. Here's my post. We are now seven and man it really hurts.

:sympathy:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats! Look at my caaaats!

Orange cats! 5 orange kitties. Picked em up today.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Orange family :3:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I wish to look more upon said cats.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats! Look at my caaaats!

A butterscotch bunch appears!

Please post The Butterscotch.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ofecks posted:

Please post The Butterscotch.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
You guys don't even know. This cat has put me through such hell over the past month.

Everything is fine, and I'll have pictures later, but jfc this cat.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Happy mama!

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Also, because I'm a lunatic, I have fosters in my bathroom too!

Yeeeee! It's the Fungus Girls! Ringleader is Princess Peach.

First Deputy of Mischief, Princess Toadstool.

And then there's Domino. She's the shyest, so no Princess title yet.

They all have ringworm, so they need to get over that before they go to the no kill cat shelter. Can't wait to have my bathroom back, I need to finish the cabinets...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Chili posted:

You guys don't even know. This cat has put me through such hell over the past month.

Everything is fine, and I'll have pictures later, but jfc this cat.

There is a special place in the pantheon of pet owners for you. :success:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

I love everything about this cat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

First Deputy of Mischief, Princess Toadstool.

And then there's Domino. She's the shyest, so no Princess title yet.

They all have ringworm, so they need to get over that before they go to the no kill cat shelter. Can't wait to have my bathroom back, I need to finish the cabinets...

I usually do one or two RW litters or cats a year because it's a pain in the rear end but those guys are super cute. Hopefully you don't have a jailbreak lol

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alrighty, so forgive the delay on this but I wanted to make sure things were stable before I posted.

A few weeks ago I went to give Butters his dinner and his meds and he didn't come sprinting at me so I got worried. Couldn't find him anywhere in the house.

A door was left open and he had gotten out. This had happened once before and I found him hiding under a lip in the house.

No such luck.

What followed was a horrible few days and nights of me wandering around without any sleep, shaking cat food in a tin and trying, fruitlessly, to find Butterscotch. It was a totally lovely way to spend a few days, lemme tell you.

After day 3, I kinda gave up hope. No food, no meds, and it was pouring like crazy.

I emotionally said goodbye to Butterscotch.

So sure enough, the next morning I get a message on facebook (which I made an account for just because of this horrible cat getting lost) from my next-door neighbor that Butterscotch is meowing and scratching at her backdoor.

I sprinted over and he looked at me with the guiltiest god drat expression I've ever seen. He so very clearly was just ready to live with this new person instead of coming back home and facing my disappointment.

Anyhow, it had been storming the night before and somehow his coat was immaculate, he had lost a couple of pounds, and looked utterly perfect after grooming. Took him to the vet and the vet was blown away by how healthy this cat (who was supposed to be about a year ago by now due to congestive heart failure) seemed to be.

So that's Butterscotch. I have a four-year-old, a four-month-old and 14-year-old cat. He is absolutely the biggest pain in the rear end out of the three. But at least he's a looker.

This was me 2 minutes after I recovered him.

That pile of fur is from just one side of him.

Well check at the vet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Luckiest cat in the world.