Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wizgot posted:

Quick question. How would I be able to use headphones with a SNES. I have a PC monitor with a composite input for video only. This means that the two audio cables are left hanging and I'm unable to listen to the games I'm playing. Is there a cable I can buy with an audio adjuster that hooks up to these cables where I can connect headphones?

Something like this, maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JFF7A/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
^^^^^^^
SNES has constant line level that will be too loud.

Wizgot posted:

Quick question. How would I be able to use headphones with a SNES. I have a PC monitor with a composite input for video only. This means that the two audio cables are left hanging and I'm unable to listen to the games I'm playing. Is there a cable I can buy with an audio adjuster that hooks up to these cables where I can connect headphones?

Get a RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter, an in-line 3.5mm volume controller and plug in your headphones. Done deal.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

As mentioned on the last page, those Retrovision component video cables should work with the NESRGB mod (so long as you use an SNES cable and also have an SNES-style multi-AV out connector installed into your NES with the mod board). As others have mentioned, the NESRGB mod involves purchasing some custom small-batch boards and having some circuit surgery and transplanting done inside the console. It looks like the guy who makes the NESRGB also has a component video board on his shop that can be installed with the mod, for what that's worth.

The thing to keep in mind is that those Retrovision cables aren't "dumb" cables that just carry a signal. They include a little PCB to convert the regular RGB video signals sent out from the console into the lower-bandwidth "component video" form that consumer TVs use. If there's no RGB output from the console, then there's nothing to convert. It's why the Retrovision folks mention that their cables don't work "as-is" with the SNES Mini; when Nintendo made that revision of the SNES, they didn't wire up the S-Video and RGB video to the console's AV out port.

That good to hear. I probably get the NES one at some point, maybe a cheaper solution then finding old Play in One motherboards.

I do love the Retrovision cables from what I seen with the Genesis.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Game Gear's video is actually a bit better than the Genesis's; 4096 for Game Gear, 512 for Genesis.

Granted, the Genesis can show more of those colors at the same time, but moot point if the Game Gear can show colors the Genesis simply can't.

huh, no poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wizgot posted:

Yeah you can get cables that go from stereo white/red to 1/8" audio jack. Check radioshack or amazon.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Get a RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter, an in-line 3.5mm volume controller and plug in your headphones. Done deal.

Some headphones already have volume controls :smuggo:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

^^^^^^^

This looks good. Thanks! I wish the SNES had an audio jack like the Genesis :(

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

That good to hear. I probably get the NES one at some point, maybe a cheaper solution then finding old Play in One motherboards.

I do love the Retrovision cables from what I seen with the Genesis.

There is zero point these days to doing the Playchoice PPU swap to get RGB video for the NES. Not all Playchoice PPUs are compatible (last I checked), the usable ones aren't going to be cheap, and you're basically putting old parts into a system and decreasing the supply of usable arcade hardware. It's absolutely pointless and you shouldn't even consider it, not when the NESRGB is just as cheap (probably cheaper), becoming well-known to modders, is new manufacturing, and is also purpose-built for the NES.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you can get cables that go from stereo white/red to 1/8" audio jack. Check radioshack or amazon.

Some headphones already have volume controls :smuggo:

But not all. :colbert:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

There is zero point these days to doing the Playchoice PPU swap to get RGB video for the NES. Not all Playchoice PPUs are compatible (last I checked), the usable ones aren't going to be cheap, and you're basically putting old parts into a system and decreasing the supply of usable arcade hardware. It's absolutely pointless and you shouldn't even consider it, not when the NESRGB is just as cheap (probably cheaper), becoming well-known to modders, is new manufacturing, and is also purpose-built for the NES.

Oh I thought that what was used for the RGB mod?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rirse posted:

Oh I thought that what was used for the RGB mod?

Originally it was, as a hack solution. Then some smart EE majors came along and designed new chips that would accomplish the same thing, had those fabbed, and sold them individually.

As such there's no reason to gently caress with the arcade boards anymore, its a cruel waste since nobody's making new old arcade boards.

NESRGB is an original design that accomplishes the same thing as the chip people were pulling from PlayChoice boards.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So good news is, looks like it's just the face plate that's scratched on my micro. Bad news it's a famicom one and it's looking impossible to even find a normal replacement face plate let alone a famicom one

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Originally it was, as a hack solution. Then some smart EE majors came along and designed new chips that would accomplish the same thing, had those fabbed, and sold them individually.

As such there's no reason to gently caress with the arcade boards anymore, its a cruel waste since nobody's making new old arcade boards.

NESRGB is an original design that accomplishes the same thing as the chip people were pulling from PlayChoice boards.

What happens to the cabinets those PlayChoice boards come from? It strikes me this should work both ways, so you might get a cab that was stripped for the parts and just RGB mod THAT to get a cheap Playchoice 10 cab....

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone tell me what I need to split the scart signal coming out of my banbridge splitter to a framemeister and a PVM?

edit:
I already have everything hooked up to the PVM. Just trying to figure out how to split it off to the FM.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 17, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can anyone tell me what I need to split the scart signal coming out of my banbridge splitter to a framemeister and a PVM?

edit:
I already have everything hooked up to the PVM. Just trying to figure out how to split it off to the FM.

Presumably a SCART splitter? If your PVM has a RGB passthrough, then a BNC to scart cable?

Console > PVM > passthrough > Framemeister

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

njsykora posted:

Nostalgia bias is certainly a thing, I've been playing FF6 on my RetroPie the last week and it hasn't been grabbing me at all as someone who never played the SNES Final Fantasy games as a kid (Sega kid, Phantasy Star). I'm pretty much pushing through to see the opera scene then I'll probably drop it.

I cannot fathom not being completely in love with Final Fantasy 6, but then again when I was a kid I asked for Final Fantasy 6 for my birthday, it was up against Chrono Trigger, but FF won out. I later got Chrono Trigger ( I think I didn't get it till the PS1 port? ) and love it too, however therer was one fatality. I saw all the ads for it, but never got around to Earthbound. Same for Super Mario RPG, and both of those games I just haven't gotten into at all later in life.

I can still play through FF6, and Chrono Trigger for fun, but Earthbound and Super Mario RPG cannot keep me interested. Which I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be cringing about.

Ambitious Spider posted:

So good news is, looks like it's just the face plate that's scratched on my micro. Bad news it's a famicom one and it's looking impossible to even find a normal replacement face plate let alone a famicom one

Too bad there isn't more of a scene for the GBA Micro, because I would think custom face plates would be pretty cool. At least different decal skins for it to be less cost prohibitive.

On a semi-related note, is there any interest in Steel Batallion here? I happen to have the controller, both games and a working Xbox to run it if people are interested. I'm mostly looking to sell it off and buy a GBA Micro.

E: Holy crap did not notice that this thing is now cresting over $100 -> $200+

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shlomo Palestein posted:

What happens to the cabinets those PlayChoice boards come from? It strikes me this should work both ways, so you might get a cab that was stripped for the parts and just RGB mod THAT to get a cheap Playchoice 10 cab....

That's a solid idea. I'm not familiar enough with the specifics of NESRGB to know if it'd work but gotta figure its possible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got way into Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG though, despite coming to them really late because Sega kid and also CT not being released in Europe. Earthbound I got really into as well when it came out on Wii U VC but all 3 of those are super unique in setting and tone which FF6 really isn't to my eyes.

In other stuff, I spent some time on Ebay looking at PC Engine stuff and I'm sorely tempted to make a CoreGrafx my Christmas present to myself. I also got a laugh at a dude trying to sell the weird grey market PAL Turbografx for £370 when they were super common for about £30 a few years ago when I got mine. Though his has Blazing Lasers with it whereas mine had Vigilante.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I can still play through FF6, and Chrono Trigger for fun, but Earthbound and Super Mario RPG cannot keep me interested. Which I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be cringing about.

I can get your feeling about Super Mario RPG. It's graphically nice and the gameplay seems pretty solid, but I think Mario's kind of weak in his story appeal if he's placed too far from the Mushroom Kingdom or has to share the spotlight with other main characters. It also came out near the tail-end of the SNES' heyday in 1996, so I don't think it got nearly the same amount of polish and care put into it since the N64 was in the pipe and due to be released that year. Nintendo probably had bigger priorities than games for its well-outmoded 16-bit hardware by that point.

I think you can skip it and live a full life.

But I'm kind of the opposite of you - I haven't been able to get into the Final Fantasys and Chrono Trigger (I've never been much of a fan of swords and medieval-themed fantasy), but I dug the poo poo out of Earthbound. It shows off what the Japanese game industry can do if it steps away from the well-tread path of "us too" game settings (in this case, the aforementioned medieval fantasy thing) and actually tries to create something fresh from scratch.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

njsykora posted:

I got way into Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG though, despite coming to them really late because Sega kid and also CT not being released in Europe. Earthbound I got really into as well when it came out on Wii U VC but all 3 of those are super unique in setting and tone which FF6 really isn't to my eyes.

In other stuff, I spent some time on Ebay looking at PC Engine stuff and I'm sorely tempted to make a CoreGrafx my Christmas present to myself. I also got a laugh at a dude trying to sell the weird grey market PAL Turbografx for £370 when they were super common for about £30 a few years ago when I got mine. Though his has Blazing Lasers with it whereas mine had Vigilante.

*cough cough*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791392

PM me and we can discuss it further if you're possibly interested...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

^^^^^^^

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
FF8 came out around the same time as Fallout 1-2 did. (Plus the Baldur's Gate engine family.)

Not only was FF8 bad on it's own, compared to what Fallout was doing it made it look even shittier. Such a bad game I swore off JRPGs for years because of it. Course it was more a nail in the coffin after stuff like the Communist Choices in Suikoden 1 which was an entire game filled with BUT THOU MUST non choices from NES Dragon Quest. (Only you know, over 10 years later and 2 more console generations during the time where computing technology was advancing at an absurd rate and each new generation of consoles and computers tended to blow the goddamned doors off the previous one even in first generation software. As opposed to now where it isn't remotely like that. The layperson aint really gonna be able to tell a PS3 Souls game from a PS4 one. Even us geeks need to actually pay attention to tell in screenshots or videos that aren't doing super taxing levels of stuff on screen.)

But I generally prefer to create my own character and roleplay in my RPGs. Don't care as much in SRPGs though. I do like them to be good and not have a brilliant concept let down by execution though. :doom: Operation Darkness :doom:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

huh, no poo poo

Yeah it's a quirk of what video hardware was available at good costs for Sega to use, while still being close enough to Master System hardware for easy porting.

The Atari Lynx's palette was big too at 4096 colors. And 16 colors per scanline, which meant you could do a lot of colors at once if you were careful.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
And UN Squadron will straight up blow out your headphones :v:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Ended up making this over the weekend with my own two hands, gimp, some sprite rips and a shadow box from Michaels:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Ended up making this over the weekend with my own two hands, gimp, some sprite rips and a shadow box from Michaels:

Nice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Super Mario RPG will forever be my favorite because it's absolutely bonkers how much Nintendo let Square flip the franchise upside down. Bowser is the villain lol j/k he's actually a sad sack who teams up with Mario and basically everything about his personality was established here. You think Peach is going to get damsel'd away but nope she joins Mario and holds her own! Luigi's cameo is in the shadow of his brother, again establishing his character for the rest of the series. Same with Toad who is excitable and aggressive but small and ineffectual.

I just think it's crazy that SMB2, SMRPG, and Donkey Kong '94 (establishing Mario's acrobatics) are the most defining of the series' cliches.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Fallout 1 and 2 are the best PC RPGs ever made. I will fight people on this.

I got addicted to those when they came out in a way that'd make peak WoW players look down on me. I somehow managed to play through them both without triggering the horrible scripting problems, too, but this might be helped by the fact that I never really did stuff like using the car's trunk in Fallout 2.

Fallout was like the perfect opposite of BUT THOU MUST illusion-of-choice bullshit. The player could build themselves out how they wished, and if they were smart, most builds were viable I think - some were harder, but the ability to end Fallout 1 by talking the Master into suicide, or using a high science trait to trigger the nuke and kill him, or just fighting him in a "traditional" way still blows my mind.

The aesthetic was perfect. The low-res graphics just served to help the gritty environment look even grittier, and the location design was amazing. Great characters too.

So good. So good. I've bought at least four copies of both over the years - launch copies, probably two replacements of each since, and then on Steam.

Alucardd posted:

And UN Squadron will straight up blow out your headphones :v:

As it should, such a good soundtrack

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-15-resurrection Then this is for you Code Jockey. Its drat good. loving hard though.

Also I picked up some stuff at Retroworld Expo yesterday:

I made one seller a bit salty because I wouldn't buy a Genesis game without the manual but for me? SMS and Genesis games must be CIB or they aren't worth buying. Anything less is heretical heresy. Same for any plastic case game really. But especially those two platforms.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Rufus posted:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-15-resurrection Then this is for you Code Jockey. Its drat good. loving hard though.

AWESOME THANK YOU

I forgot this existed, I need to give it a try when I'm done with VA-11 Hall-A. Thanks!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Everyone knows the best Final Fantasy is The Spirits Within because Roger Ebert liked it better than most video games.

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.

I ask because I bought this and want to feel better about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Advertising your hint books in the save screen is a lost art.

Kid Fenris posted:

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.
Remote control golfing Mario.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 18, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone knows the best Final Fantasy is The Spirits Within because Roger Ebert liked it better than most video games.

Cloud body pillow.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kid Fenris posted:

Talking Cave Johnson portrait.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Cloud body pillow.

So jealous.

For me, in terms of modern video game merch, I have a shirt with the Beatmania Pendual bootup self-test screen on it. It was impossible to explain it to my wife without feeling overwhelming shame, but I think it's funny.

For retro gaming, I know I have sillier than this, but probably the little stuffed Pain Elemental from Doom 2 I have sitting on my desk at home. He was too cute to pass up!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Code Jockey posted:

the little stuffed Pain Elemental from Doom 2 I have sitting on my desk at home. He was too cute to pass up!

I require a picture.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
He better be monster buddies with the caco plush :dings:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oof. Right in the bulls.

azurite posted:

Talking Cave Johnson portrait.

I'd get this even if it only had the Lemon Rant.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

I'm imagining this done with Ninja Warriors, the full triple-screen. If I had me a printer..

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Captain Rufus posted:

Also I picked up some stuff at Retroworld Expo yesterday:

I made one seller a bit salty because I wouldn't buy a Genesis game without the manual but for me? SMS and Genesis games must be CIB or they aren't worth buying. Anything less is heretical heresy. Same for any plastic case game really. But especially those two platforms.

Eh, I don't blame you. It's like PS2 and other disc based games. It shouldn't be that hard getting a case/manual. Don't settle for less when it's not that uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel edition.

• Locked thread