Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember back in 2006 when the Great Wii Shortage happened because Nintendo didn't anticipate the insane demand for the consoles on release day?

I feel like being frustrated and critical of Nintendo for intentionally capitalizing on that phenomenon is justified, just don't get angry about it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I feel like being frustrated and critical of Nintendo for intentionally capitalizing on that phenomenon is justified, just don't get angry about it.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm not angry, but it's justifiable to criticize Nintendo for it as a business practice.

It's probably helped that I don't really want an NES Mini so I have no horse in this race, though if they do this poo poo with the Switch I'll probably get annoyed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing Yoshi's Wolly World with my wife and it is hella charming except that my wife is in love with Poochy and keeps bringing him to every stage, which is fine he's cute whatever, but he messes up my MLG platforming skills. Co-op is the way to play though; some of the secrets would be very annoying to reach if I couldn't turn my buddy into a ball of yarn and spit him.

We picked up Madden, uh, 15? also, but she's way better at it than me. I don't get my blind spot when it comes to sport games, Madden in particular. I have the hand-eye coordination to beat Platinum games, the patience to destroy Metal Gear, the tactical knowledge from generations of XCom and the ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations through Smash Brothers. Why can't I stop throwing interceptions!!!! If I lose to the Washington Redskins one more time... well, I'll probably get quietly mad around the third quarter then sulk in another room for a while afterwards.

The one sport game I got deep into (not counting Rocket League) was Inazuma Eleven on the DS. Is there an stylized American football game that has, I don't know, a skill tree for me to exploit? My status as the gaming provider for our house is at stake.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harrow posted:

I think Jim's point has less to do with his own inability to get one and more to do with the fact that Nintendo's manufacturing of scarcity is a business tactic that's disrespectful to consumers and to the on-the-floor retail employees who then have to bear the brunt of the anger for being unable to deliver something Nintendo hasn't given them.

At least, that's what I got from the video.

Whether he's right to criticize Nintendo for that (or for those reasons) is up for debate, but I don't think he's just whining because he couldn't get an NES mini.
Speaking of which, you still can't get a loving Pokemon GO Plus. Thanks a lot scalper fucks. Would have made a great present for my sister.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just think it's funny people are scalping the $100 3DS systems when the whole appeal of it was that it was a cheapo 3DS.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm not angry, but it's justifiable to criticize Nintendo for it as a business practice.

It's probably helped that I don't really want an NES Mini so I have no horse in this race, though if they do this poo poo with the Switch I'll probably get annoyed.

There's no way they don't do this with the switch, they've done it with literally everything they have made.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Jim's gimmick is kinda to be over top and angry at times. The frustration with Nintendo is legit. I mean I wish they would stop that poo poo.

A frigging NES emulator for crying out loud.

edit: They are so doing this with the Switch. That's just Nintendo for you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Harrow posted:

Honestly I'm still on the fence. I feel like it could use a few more games imo. Also the controller cable is apparently criminally short. I'm waffling on just putting together a RetroPie instead for a fraction of the cost because:

Shindragon posted:

This is literally all it is. It would be interesting if it used real NES hardware instead, though that's not really necessary if the emulation is accurate. It would also jack up production costs too, which is Bad.

Any news on that Genesis/MegaDrive redux?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 28, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

There's no way they don't do this with the switch, they've done it with literally everything they have made.

Well, except the Wii U. Probably the whole reason I bought it in the first place was the thought of "huh it's December and I can easily find the new Nintendo console already, probably should grab one while they're still on the shelves". I would say that backfired but the Wii U is awesome.

Mak0rz posted:

Any news on that Genesis/MegaDrive redux?

You're not talking about the AtGames version that's already on shelves, right? Because that might have the worst sound quality of any Genesis.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

You're not talking about the AtGames version that's already on shelves, right? Because that might have the worst sound quality of any Genesis.

Wait what?

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/26/sega-reveals-genesis-classic-edition-rerelease/ posted:

UPDATE: As Kotaku points out, this is actually just a rebranded release of the same emulator At Games has been releasing for years, not a response to the NES Classic. Sega is not directly involved in this emulation box. We are no longer excited. The original article follows.

Oh :sigh:

I thought they were making one with real Genesis hardware. Oh well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDjmFqEwwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrxYChbu28

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How did they gently caress it up this bad

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lmao

but what about this? Was this a lie? http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/11/07/sega-genesis-production/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
No one clamoring for an NES Mini will play it for more than 40 hours, and a huge percentage probably won't even play it for 5. It's a dumb novelty you get, say "Sweet, look at all these games" then plug it in, sit super close due to the short cords, and play 10 minutes of the games you remember liking and 3 of anything else. "Wow, Super C is pretty hard, huh. Died again on the second stage. Oh well, what's next," until you've played everything then maybe you go back to something that really captured your attention for another hour and that's it. It will collect dust for a few years until you decide to store it or sell it. The real use-case for the NES Mini is barcades, day cares and baby's first game room, because you can have a dedicated TV and not have to worry about cartridges getting damaged. Even people who would be interested in playing the classics but aren't gamers or knowledgeable about emulators will play it for a burst of novelty and then go on to the same things that kept them from playing games as a regular hobby.

I think it's a genius move for Nintendo, but I don't think highly of people who think it's a product to get worked up over.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a disclaimer at the bottom of the preorder page that says some titles will not be compatible. If it was a reproduction and not just emulation, it would work on 100% of games.

I don't think anyone is crazy enough to do anything as elaborate as a reproduction as it's a ton of cost for little benefit to the average consumer. I think what hobbyists do now is make some kind of configurable chip or something like that, I'm not terribly versed in it myself, but people say good things about the AVS.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shindragon posted:

Jim's gimmick is kinda to be over top and angry at times. The frustration with Nintendo is legit. I mean I wish they would stop that poo poo.

edit: They are so doing this with the Switch. That's just Nintendo for you.

Yeah, this is hardly Jim flipping his poo poo, his whole shtick is being an unrepentant outspoken consumer advocate (because few other people in the games industry will do it).

Nintendo are deliberately undersupplying and they deserve to get called out on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

How did they gently caress it up this bad

Do you know how that stuff works? Its not exactly simple.

And its a cheap 3rd party knockoff trying to make a quick profit, of course they hosed it up bad what do you expect.

If you didn't, you should read the article posted earlier explaining that Sega has nothing to do with this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nintendo has what i want... [slides beads on abacus but the beads are little business school graphs] and i gotta say. can't wait to buy their games on playstation :twisted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you know how that stuff works? Its not exactly simple.

And its a cheap 3rd party knockoff trying to make a quick profit, of course they hosed it up bad what do you expect.

If you didn't, you should read the article posted earlier explaining that Sega has nothing to do with this.

Complexity is not an excuse for doing it poorly. Nor is it being a cheap knockoff, but that's never stopped anybody.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean it was still sanctioned by Sega they just didn't make it themselves.

But if you need a bootleg console you need the penguin.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nintendo are deliberately undersupplying and they deserve to get called out on it.

This is simply not true. Anyone with any knowledge of economics will tell you that they have absolutely nothing to gain from not being able to meet demand. It doesn't matter how much people want your product if you have no product to sell.

I'm not a fan of The Game Theorists but this video about the amiibo shortage is spot on, and much of it applies to the NES mini as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yp5BpT96yo. It's a long video so skip to 8:30 if you want to skip the backstory. The short version of the story is that they're selling their product for much less than its perceived value and that's something that'll drive demand up like nobody's business. You could argue that they should know by now that their products are going to sell like crazy, but after the Wii U's failure and the 3DS' underwhelming launch it's really not that crazy that they'd be reluctant to make millions of the things. You can always make more, but once you've made a thing you can't sell you're not getting your money back and Nintendo learned this the hard way with the Wii U.

I know we're not supposed to defend corporations, but I'm getting tired seeing this conspiracy theory nonsense get repeated as fact, especially when the theory completely falls apart under the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Phantasium posted:

I mean it was still sanctioned by Sega they just didn't make it themselves.

But if you need a bootleg console you need the penguin.

This is beautiful. The controllers don't even match!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

The short version of the story is that they're selling their product for much less than its perceived value and that's something that'll drive demand up like nobody's business.
I guess there's something to that, but the thought that a button and light with a bluetooth chip is worth way more than $35 is just ugh

but then everything about Pokemon Go is aggravating anyway

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm preemptively saying sorry for making a crack some time ago about how if MVC4 happens this gen Disney and Marvel would probably ask Capcom to gut out all the X-men.

I didn't think it'd actually happen like that:

quote:

Fans of the series should expect Marvel vs. Capcom 4's roster of Marvel characters to draw strongly from the cinematic universe that Marvel Studios has popularized — and has full control over — during the past decade. That means fighting game fans will more likely see characters plucked from The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy films, and not from properties like the X-Men. Expect to see superheroes like Ant-Man and Groot make appearances, with characters of mutant origin — think Wolverine and Magneto — sitting out this entry.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

learned some funny stuff today about NES metal gear. the password system was basically coding the game to show certain items and give the player progress so its all random, but apparently lots of codes with the words gently caress, poo poo, and motherfucker in them were valid and it led to the removal of vowels in code systems going forward.

even metroid has some valid codes like Motherbrain loving toast and Engage ridley motherfucker that work and gently caress up the game in various ways.

guru larry videos are very informational

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm preemptively saying sorry for making a crack some time ago about how if MVC4 happens this gen Disney and Marvel would probably ask Capcom to gut out all the X-men.

I didn't think it'd actually happen like that:

This would also probably rule out Fantastic Four characters. It'll be weird losing Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, and Doom in the same Marvel game

OTOH it means they don't have to try to balance Phoenix and her stupid gimmick!!!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing about Nintendo's artificial scarcity is gamers are so used to it that they think something is wrong when they can actually easily buy a product that was just released. From what I understand, PSVR is performing well within Sony's expectations for it but because you could actually walk into a store and buy one when it was released, people assumed it had flopped.

Really, this is all the more reason to wait a bit on a Switch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Local Gamestop "didn't get enough pre-orders" to have a midnight sale for Pokemon Sun/Moon, and now FF15

RIP, JRPGs? Or does Gamestop just not do many midnight sales unless it's Call of Duty?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Local Gamestop "didn't get enough pre-orders" to have a midnight sale for Pokemon Sun/Moon, and now FF15

RIP, JRPGs? Or does Gamestop just not do many midnight sales unless it's Call of Duty?

people that want games at midnight get them digitally preloaded these days

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Midnight Sales are a pain in the rear end with little advantage for the store and most people that want the game instantly will just get it digitally so I would not be surprised if they didn't want to bother anymore.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is there an stylized American football game that has, I don't know, a skill tree for me to exploit? My status as the gaming provider for our house is at stake.

Blood Bowl?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think I'm cut out for Mega Man 3, I've tried 4 different bosses and haven't even come close to beating any of them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I don't think I'm cut out for Mega Man 3, I've tried 4 different bosses and haven't even come close to beating any of them.

you'll get it.

The usual starters that are weak to buster are either like needle man or top man and i think there's one other one thats weak to buster as well.

when you get to mm4, the best 1st master is toad man

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

Start with Magnet Man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

people that want games at midnight get them digitally preloaded these days

But physical copies of things are cool. :(

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think top man and magnet man are both pretty straightforward once you've seen their attacks a few times

i did needle man first and he was a real fucker so i don't recommend him

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 29, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Someone mad they can't get ahold of a nes mini...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRicuKHmjZA

Let's not pretend that Ubisoft games are doing more damage to the TOM CLANCY name than the man himself

At least Tom Clancy is dead, UBISoft is still around. Both need to go in order for there to be justice.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

went to barnes and noble earlier, or as i call it Steam for Books

B&N is the Gamestop of books, and your analogy is the Citizen Kane of bad ones!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

learned some funny stuff today about NES metal gear. the password system was basically coding the game to show certain items and give the player progress so its all random, but apparently lots of codes with the words gently caress, poo poo, and motherfucker in them were valid and it led to the removal of vowels in code systems going forward.

even metroid has some valid codes like Motherbrain loving toast and Engage ridley motherfucker that work and gently caress up the game in various ways.

guru larry videos are very informational

If someone is actually claiming that the password "FUCKM E1111 11111 11111" dropping you at the second to last room with no equipment was unintentional somehow, they're a dirty liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dewgy posted:

If someone is actually claiming that the password "FUCKM E1111 11111 11111" dropping you at the second to last room with no equipment was unintentional somehow, they're a dirty liar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNGtxs2BXc

I said come in! posted:

At least Tom Clancy is dead, UBISoft is still around. Both need to go in order for there to be justice.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 29, 2016

• Locked thread