Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so I finally got confirmation that they intend to make me an offer, but have to wait a week for them to figure out what the offer is. I need to find out if everything in this company is this slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh that's trivial. black Adidas track jacket and pants with 3 straight white stripes - from belt and collar to cuffs respectively. jacket only with two side pockets, much like pants. a monochrome t-shirt underneath. white sharp-toed leather shoes (moccasin style, with no laces and mediun-height heel, shorter than half-boots. black socks and black leather beanie.

:allears:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

so I finally got confirmation that they intend to make me an offer, but have to wait a week for them to figure out what the offer is. I need to find out if everything in this company is this slow.

slow is good, as long as they're also slow to fire you for underperformance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

slow is good, as long as they're also slow to fire you for underperformance

we'll find out!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
you guys weren't kidding about some of these hackerrank problems having awful descriptions. even when the actual problem is relatively clear, they tend to omit things like expected performance so i write an answer that i know is correct (since i usually go for a naive-but-correct implementation first) and i just get opaque results like "compiler message: time out". then you go into the dicussion and it's like "oh i have calculated that the test machine only has 128mb of memory so your merge sort needs to be in-place" and the like.

if the challenge is counting inversions, don't make it a "most optimal merge sort" contest. make a separate problem category for that. as the clock ticks down to this interview i've decided not to try to actually finish problems anymore if i run into poo poo like that because i really just wanted them to remind me what algos id forgotten anyway.

reheapify is way less complicated than i remember. i think i had it mixed up with rebalancing a binary search tree.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

you guys weren't kidding about some of these hackerrank problems having awful descriptions. even when the actual problem is relatively clear, they tend to omit things like expected performance so i write an answer that i know is correct (since i usually go for a naive-but-correct implementation first) and i just get opaque results like "compiler message: time out". then you go into the dicussion and it's like "oh i have calculated that the test machine only has 128mb of memory so your merge sort needs to be in-place" and the like.

if the challenge is counting inversions, don't make it a "most optimal merge sort" contest. make a separate problem category for that. as the clock ticks down to this interview i've decided not to try to actually finish problems anymore if i run into poo poo like that because i really just wanted them to remind me what algos id forgotten anyway.

reheapify is way less complicated than i remember. i think i had it mixed up with rebalancing a binary search tree.

one of the problems is that a naive solution might work fine in C++ but won't in JavaScript. if the author wrote it originally in C then what they intend may not work in other languages on hackerrank

if you're doing language specific stuff though yeah it's just badly documented

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
i'm really sick of how lovely finding jobs is these days and doing jobs and having to dress myself

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
also if every hr person died would anyone really care or miss them? the answer is no btw

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Berious posted:

also if every hr person died would anyone really care or miss them? the answer is no btw

this is true for like 90% of all white-collar people tbf

including myself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Berious posted:

actually i think the people who would be noticed the most if they disappeared are the admin and/or janitorial staff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like ive heard good managers described as productivity multipliers but dang, the administrative assistants in my office do that more than anyone else

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

one of the problems is that a naive solution might work fine in C++ but won't in JavaScript. if the author wrote it originally in C then what they intend may not work in other languages on hackerrank

if you're doing language specific stuff though yeah it's just badly documented

im mostly working in c# because im most familiar with it. i'm pretty aware that many of my solutions eat a gently caress ton of memory, but that shouldn't be a problem. in my mind if your solution is correct it should pass the test cases and bonus points can be had for improving runtime or whatever.

Berious posted:

our company only has 2 hr people and it really shows. yesterday at all staff meeting our ceo decided it was a really important grammar tip to tell everyone that the singular "they" is wrong and forbidden and to never use it. i was sitting right next to like 4 nonbinary people who were extremely hurt. that's the kind of poo poo an hr department keeps from happening if it functions at all well.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you only have 2 hr people for 9000 employees? lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Good secretaries are work multipliers everyone else creates work and then if you're really lucky helps you do it so at best its neutral.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is true for like 90% of all white-collar people tbf

including myself

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

im mostly working in c# because im most familiar with it. i'm pretty aware that many of my solutions eat a gently caress ton of memory, but that shouldn't be a problem. in my mind if your solution is correct it should pass the test cases and bonus points can be had for improving runtime or whatever.

our company only has 2 hr people and it really shows. yesterday at all staff meeting our ceo decided it was a really important grammar tip to tell everyone that the singular "they" is wrong and forbidden and to never use it. i was sitting right next to like 4 nonbinary people who were extremely hurt. that's the kind of poo poo an hr department keeps from happening if it functions at all well.

i thought singular they dated to Shakespeare but nope 13th century

what's really amazing is how often these people still use singular they in conversation, because it's a valid, natural part of the language

as for hackerrank it has to do with the resources they allow for the compile/run instance. it's a free service and CPU/memory time in the cloud is surprisingly expensive

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cis autodrag posted:

why do they not like singular they?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

default singular "he" was considered "more correct" starting in the 19th century. right now it's a right wing anti pc talking point

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 16, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

leper khan posted:

he or she probably hates sentences that sound natural.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnoHito posted:

he or she probably hates sentences that sound natural.

nice

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

right now it's a right wing anti pc talking point

And it's doing as well for them as whining about "Ms." did

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leper khan posted:

because she's septuagenarian math major who is obsessed with being technically correct all the time and her favorite grammar book was written by a prescriptivist. she seriously never thinks before she speaks and our hr is so dysfunctional that nobody ever corrects her when she starts spouting nonsense like this. a year or so back she cracked a joke about men in dresses at staff meeting and when her staffers were told that it was transphobic (since nobody can contact her directly) they p much said "sorry we cant control judy".

we have attempted to communicate to her that trans people exist many times (and for gently caress's sake, our companywide initiative this release is to better document and care for trans people) but she just refuses to move out of her safe bubble of black-and-white bullshit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think a lot of "successful" people refuse to change out of fear that they'll gently caress up whatever it is they did to make it in the first place

basically c-level impostor syndrome

Iverron
May 13, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

jesus christ this

I "failed" a hackerrank timed interview because my solutions failed a few edge cases testing performance and I just moved onto the next problem as I didn't want to waste valuable time trying to engineer an optimal solution for a single problem.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lot of bad coders outing themselves here. your solutions should not melt down when encountering corner cases, that's part of writing good code.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my company has photos of whites dressed up like Mexicans for cinco de mayo on their glassdoor. photos that HR uploaded Lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Flat Daddy posted:

my company has photos of whites dressed up like Mexicans for cinco de mayo on their glassdoor. photos that HR uploaded Lol

yikes

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

one company did the general interview and the technical interview in a single hour long phone call, I rambled too much in the general interview and then ran out of time on the technical question. Although right after that rejection email I got another email from an internal recruiter from another company so things keep on moving

nailed my other phone interview today though, they're gonna fly me out.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

the company i just joined a couple months ago was super slow about stuff also, took them a couple weeks to get the offer to me, couple weeks for confirmation the offer was approved by higher level people, etc. turned out fine, ive never worked in finance before (didn't know what a broker/dealer was before i joined up) so maybe finance is just slow. either way, the slowness hasn't seemed to be an indicator of anything

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
yeah I just went through a series of in-person interviews for a place and the general consensus from the recruiter is good but they are dragging their feet responding and the wait is killllllling me :(

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Flat Daddy posted:

mexicans arent a race and can be white, racist :smug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweeper posted:

the company i just joined a couple months ago was super slow about stuff also, took them a couple weeks to get the offer to me, couple weeks for confirmation the offer was approved by higher level people, etc. turned out fine, ive never worked in finance before (didn't know what a broker/dealer was before i joined up) so maybe finance is just slow. either way, the slowness hasn't seemed to be an indicator of anything

if it's a big finance company it will probably take several weeks to get all your background checks done, you might have to get fingerprinted too

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

if it's a big finance company it will probably take several weeks to get all your background checks done, you might have to get fingerprinted too

that was a separate delay, the background check was before the offer, the fingerprinting (gently caress you finra) was after being hired

yeah things don't move quick

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The Management posted:

lot of bad coders outing themselves here. your solutions should not melt down when encountering corner cases, that's part of writing good code.

when you have 5 minutes to write an algorithm, that really shouldn't be a concern

Iverron fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 17, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

im talking about a problem failing because of an undocumented memory restriction, not due to corner cases. if memory complexity matters it should be documented.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Iverron posted:

when you have 5 minutes to write an algorithm, that really shouldn't be a concern

yeah when you're pressed for time, trying to describe your thinking over a crappy phone connection, and way more nervous than you should be, basic stuff can get a lot harder

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
aaarg nyc fulltime job wants me to move to the city instead of offering remote, which is just unworkable for the salary they're offering. nice place with a good name but drat if I want to live in the city with a family for 10^5 figgies

welp there goes another one. sad too since i know their stuff really well

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PierreTheMime posted:

aaarg nyc fulltime job wants me to move to the city instead of offering remote, which is just unworkable for the salary they're offering. nice place with a good name but drat if I want to live in the city with a family for 10^5 figgies

welp there goes another one. sad too since i know their stuff really well

poo poo I'd live just about anywhere for 100000 figgies

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

poo poo I'd live just about anywhere for 100000 figgies

I'd work at Google for 101 figgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!