Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That's why you get a pay bump for time in service. If you're a CSM, then you're a CSM, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Woof Blitzer posted:

gently caress you if you're still in

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Can we just call them Power Tops?

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

The guy they quote the most, CSM Raines, is my state's CSM. I'm not surprised, he once got pissy at me because I didn't call the building to attention when he walked in.

I, a Captain, was in my office which is a completely separate room from the one he entered the building in. I happened to look up from my computer, see about 5 frozen in fear enlisted and a CSM who looked lost as hell standing in the middle of the room through the open door. I walked out, shook his hand, and asked him if I could help him. He was looking for the BN CDR so I pointed him to where the CDR was. Then he complained to the BN CDR how there was a Captain who didn't call the room to attention for him. So I have no doubt it's less about the money and more about wanting more ranks for him to climb up and feel more important.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr_Ruckus posted:

The guy they quote the most, CSM Raines, is my state's CSM. I'm not surprised, he once got pissy at me because I didn't call the building to attention when he walked in.

I, a Captain, was in my office which is a completely separate room from the one he entered the building in. I happened to look up from my computer, see about 5 frozen in fear enlisted and a CSM who looked lost as hell standing in the middle of the room through the open door. I walked out, shook his hand, and asked him if I could help him. He was looking for the BN CDR so I pointed him to where the CDR was. Then he complained to the BN CDR how there was a Captain who didn't call the room to attention for him. So I have no doubt it's less about the money and more about wanting more ranks for him to climb up and feel more important.

Why the gently caress would you call attention for an enlistedman? Was he joking?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Kick out anyone higher than e5

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Why the gently caress would you call attention for an enlistedman? Was he joking?

like.... this is double confusing... because yeah and also because someone who outranked him is already in the building.... wtf

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe he got attention and at ease mixed up you goobers

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
when I was at recruiting school at Jackson they told us if we saw some certain BMW driving around to salute it, some general officer, but we had to salute his POV

like wtf

People get ate up on that poo poo even if it goes against customs and courtesy

like apparently this dude would get out of his car and bitch at people for not saluting his POV

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I wish he was, but he was serious.

It was good for a laugh later though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey gently caress the army

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

TBeats posted:

Maybe he got attention and at ease mixed up you goobers

You're right, it was at ease, which you still don't call if an officer is there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mr_Ruckus posted:

You're right, it was at ease, which you still don't call if an officer is there.

The fact that this is correct and in regs but a senior NCO will freak out about it, then cite regs to spaz about [whatever] never quite ceases to amaze me.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Every day I am grateful I'm not in the Army anymore.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

In Afghanistan, the 25th ID's aviation brigade was on our FOB and their CSM threw a big, huge shitfit because one of our PSGs politely and quietly corrected him for wearing eyepro around his neck. He then tried to gig our guys non-stop for petty poo poo for weeks until this stupid poo poo went all the way up to Squadron, who then bitched him out to their BDE CO, who then finally put a stop to it.

Turns out that CSM wrote up a memo and had it signed which authorized him to wear his eyepro like that. He made a whole bunch of retarded memos and never informed us about them. What a colossal fuckstick.

Naked Bear posted:

Whoopsie, I made a mistake! It wasn't the brigade CSM, but the CSM of 2-25 AVN.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 16, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Naked Bear posted:

In Afghanistan, the 25th ID's aviation brigade was on our FOB and their CSM threw a big, huge shitfit because one of our PSGs politely and quietly corrected him for wearing eyepro around his neck. He then tried to gig our guys non-stop for petty poo poo for weeks until this stupid poo poo went all the way up to Squadron, who then bitched him out to their BDE CO, who then finally put a stop to it.

Turns out that CSM wrote up a memo and had it signed which authorized him to wear his eyepro like that. He made a whole bunch of retarded memos and never informed us about them. What a colossal fuckstick.

Army strong theme . mp3

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The more I learn about the Army the more it seems like they're somehow dumber than the Marines. Or rather they have a less consistent stupidity which seems all the more dire for it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Now that I'm remembering things, one of those memos was no combat shirts or dirty uniforms in the DFAC, because that's exactly what you do when you want to piss off an entire troop of cav and infantry guys who actually work for a living, unlike your own fat, miserable rear end. Don't care if you made it back just in time to catch the rear end end of chow, you ain't coming in. Obvious solution: have dudes pick up an entire platoon or troop's worth of to-go plates before we get back. You can imagine how long that lasted before they put a limit on the number of to-go plates that could be picked up at once, and only with a signed memo from the CO stating the number of plates and the reason why those soldiers could not just eat in the DFAC. :wtc:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Naked Bear posted:

Your PSG is in the wrong here hth

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

when I was at recruiting school at Jackson they told us if we saw some certain BMW driving around to salute it, some general officer, but we had to salute his POV

like wtf

People get ate up on that poo poo even if it goes against customs and courtesy

like apparently this dude would get out of his car and bitch at people for not saluting his POV

Marines do it. It's protocol and it's loving weird.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lol last week battalion CSM walked in to room and someone called at ease and he pointed out to a 2LT and said "don't call at ease, I'm not the one with rank here".

We are also prohibited from calling at ease or attention for anyone besides brigade level. People apparently just wanna walk into rooms here and do their poo poo.

Edit: bn, not bde

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 16, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Marines do it. It's protocol and it's loving weird.
the only people that really did it were gate guards

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I don't really post in this forum as I didn't serve, but wanted to link this in case anyone can spare 5 minutes to text or call a vet to support him:

http://nbc4i.com/2017/07/13/army-veterans-dying-wish-is-a-phone-call-or-text-from-you/

quote:

NEW BRAUNFELS, TX (WCMH) – An Army veteran in Arizona with a terminal illness has a unique final wish.

Lee Hernandez is currently in hospice care in his home. According to the Arizona Republic, he has continuous strokes that affect his vision and cognitive abilities.

Doctors can do nothing more for him except make him comfortable.

Lee served more than 18 years in the Army, including a tour in Iraq.

Earlier this week, he asked his wife to let him hold his phone, “in case someone calls,” according to a post on the Arizona Veterans Forum. After two hours with no calls, he told his wife, “I guess no one wants to talk to me.”

After the post calling for other veterans to give Hernandez a call, Hernandez and his wife have been inundated with calls.

The Arizona Republic said the best time to call or text is between 4pm and 8pm Eastern time. That is when Hernandez is most alert.

The phone number to reach Hernandez is [REDACTED - in the link].

He is blind, so he wife will read text messages to him.

If there's a more appropriate place than the Army thread (since that was his branch), feel free to move it. It was sent to me by a friend just now and is a few days old, so it may have already been posted in which case sorry for that. Thanks.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
when i was in, i told my squad leader that i was five minutes late because "i pay taxes so there's a fraction of every pay period where i am my own boss."

he informed me that i am my own boss when i am sleeping.

thanks for reading.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yesterday, 16 hour day loading and prepping for an AT that is leaving today; I'm on rear det since deploying, along with all the other guys who deployed.

Hey SGT Wasabi, don't go home, you need to finish this two hour blended retirement course TONIGHT. I don't care if we're not doing poo poo tomorrow aside from waving bye at the convoy and cleaning weapons. Are you questioning your ACTING PLATOON SERGEANT?

I sent word to 1SG and went home. He said he'd handle it. He had a strange smile when I left.

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012
6 and a wake up to ETSchüss.

Anything special I do during my last week in the ARMY?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

moodyhank31 posted:

Almost there!!!

Anything special I do during my last week in the ARMY?

Take a poo poo on the duty doody desk.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I heard that that last week is immune to UCMJ so you should steal stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The SGM at Ghazni when I was there was chill. He made the FOB a no salute area and didn't give a poo poo when we stripped down to T shirts while working.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

The SGM at Ghazni when I was there was chill. He made the FOB a no salute area and didn't give a poo poo when we stripped down to T shirts while working.

Bunch of shirt-cockers, the lot of you.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

This is the precise reason we are still in the Middle East.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That's how we get another My Lai

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Naked Bear posted:

Now that I'm remembering things, one of those memos was no combat shirts or dirty uniforms in the DFAC, because that's exactly what you do when you want to piss off an entire troop of cav and infantry guys who actually work for a living, unlike your own fat, miserable rear end. Don't care if you made it back just in time to catch the rear end end of chow, you ain't coming in. Obvious solution: have dudes pick up an entire platoon or troop's worth of to-go plates before we get back. You can imagine how long that lasted before they put a limit on the number of to-go plates that could be picked up at once, and only with a signed memo from the CO stating the number of plates and the reason why those soldiers could not just eat in the DFAC. :wtc:

Being told, "Sorry, you can't eat here, you're very dirty from the war, and you're still in your war clothes," was the moment I realized Catch-22 wasn't fiction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

iKon posted:

Being told, "Sorry, you can't eat here, you're very dirty from the war, and you're still in your war clothes," was the moment I realized Catch-22 wasn't fiction.

When I was enlisted in the navy, I worked in deck basically painting and dealing with mooring lines and poo poo all day. I would wake up in the morning, put on utilities so I could eat and then muster. Then I would change into coveralls to work. Sometimes they were dirty nasty coveralls because of painting. Sometimes they were clean I just wore them so I wouldn't get grease/whatever else I was doing on my utilities. I'd have to change into utilities for lunch because I couldn't leave the ship in coveralls nor could I eat on the messdecks in coveralls even if they were clean. After lunch, change back into coveralls go back to work. Put utilities/civilian clothes on to go back to the barracks (once I had a barracks room).

Underway it was the same drat thing except if I had a fleck of paint on my coveralls I had to change them. I would say a good hour a day was wasted just changing loving clothes while I was enlisted so some chief wouldn't get his panties in a bunch that I was eating in the wrong uniform.

It's nice to see that some stupidity is universal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile, in trainee DFACs, waivers are signed that let you take trainees fresh from a long run and gorilla drills in the grass straight through the DFAC while they shed grass everywhere and leave salty, oily handprints on everything they touch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

God forbid the contractors running the DFAC have to actually loving clean

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

If you loving morons weren't aware, counterjnshrgencies are fought and won on the battlefields of the poiwerpojnt readyiness slides, the immaculate DFAC benchs with not a stray French fry or boot print in sight, immaculately ordered dumb el rAcks on the airfield gym, green beans cash registers awash with funds, a single patriotic salute to a young lieuntant deploying late after completing many important certificates and the eib at home, raise your fingernajl cut to length not exceeding the tip of your finger, in line with the remaining fingers and thumb all of which have no dirt beneath their nails, to the corner hinge of your clear lens eye protection that shall not be kept around the neck when not worn, salute that man and freeze as revelries plays and a afghan rug merchant continues picking his nose across the street as you hear americas toot toot toot over the loudspeaker, he looks at you from a lovely squat, you look back. There is magazine in your rifle, but you need no bhllets. They wouldn't let you have them. Readiness = green. War on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Turns out that CSM wrote up a memo and had it sined which authorized him to wear his eyepro like that. He made a whole bunch of retarded memos and never informed us about them. What a colossal fuckstick.
Whoopsie, I made a mistake! It wasn't the brigade CSM, but the CSM of 2-25 AVN.