Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The future of the specially-built quarantine centre at Howard Springs NT Australia is currently in doubt, they had up to 3,000 people quarantining there at the height of the pandemic but earlier this week they only had 3 people staying there

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-01/nt-howard-springs-three-people-quarantine/100958780

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean that's literally just applying knight/warrior logic to medicine. If your armor's shiny and smooth then you must be inexperienced.

I remember an old TV ad for some laundry liquid where the wife kept cleaning her husband's overalls too well and he ends up getting fired from his mechanics job because they assume he's been slacking off because he's not filthy enough

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It's officially hit the point where my husband is regarding me as a killjoy because I don't want to have visitors over to smoke weed during a loving pandemic. He's going out instead, and now that I know that I'm the only reason he's not huffing stranger's farts at home, I have to assume he'll be taking his mask off at some point out there. At this rate I'm gonna have to start wearing my respirator in my own home.

divorce your dumb husband op

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

nobody replied to this but just in case:

Particulate filters, the portion of any given mask that meets N95 or P100 standard, and that are relevant to stopping the SARS COV 2 virus from getting at your precious lungs, do not go bad until they are plugged up. you are correct.

O(rganic) V(apor) filters, which is what those posters were talking about for whatever reason in a thread where they are irrelevant, rely on a limited quantity of substrate to react chemically with gases in order to neutralize them. so by exposure to regular air over time they are gradually consumed, typically much more quickly than particulate filters.

Organic Vapor filters by themselves do gently caress all to stop covid

sometimes certain cartridges are built such that the cartridge has BOTH particulate and OV or other filters. the particulate part is what matters.

Not that this changes anything, but the gas carts don’t really react with organic vapors. Gas masks of the early twentieth century did use various chemical reactions, but the common commercial filters work via adsorption, where the gas sticks to a solid (e.g. activated charcoal) with intermolecular forces.

This isn’t conceptually all that different from how particles are caught by their filter media, usually polypropylene, but the scale is very different. The channels in the adsorbent are enormous compared to the gas molecules. This has some practical consequences.

All the above mechanisms work to capture particulates, with varying strengths against particles of different sizes and masses. With gas molecules, the only one of any significance is diffusion. They’re so tiny that they’re ping‐ponging around at hundreds of metres per second, smashing into another molecule after a handful of nanometres. Sometimes that molecule is a gas and they both go their separate ways. Sometimes that collision is with the filter media, and they get stuck.

If the problematic gas molecule happens to hit not the media, but rather some other molecule that is already stuck there, well then it can just bounce off. Hopefully it hits bare media next time, but as you can imagine, the more molecules have already been captured, the less likely this becomes. This is why gas cartridges stop working. Gas molecules are tiny, so they don’t block the channels like particulates do. Instead, when the media is saturated, gases pass through unimpeded, after a number of ineffectual collisions with the saturated media.

Particulates always pass through gas-capture media unimpeded. While a person might expect that “if this filter can catch minuscule gases, surely it can capture much larger viruses”, this is not the case. The virus isn’t bouncing around at hundreds of metres per second, so it’s much less likely to bumble into contact with the media. Capturing particulates requires media of a different structure that can take advantage of mechanisms other than diffusion.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

pig gas and forest fire smog etc NOT RELEVANT to this thread

lol give me a break. having carts with both is practical for lots of us.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's officially hit the point where my husband is regarding me as a killjoy because I don't want to have visitors over to smoke weed during a loving pandemic. He's going out instead, and now that I know that I'm the only reason he's not huffing stranger's farts at home, I have to assume he'll be taking his mask off at some point out there. At this rate I'm gonna have to start wearing my respirator in my own home.

he's not just taking his mask off, he's sharing bowls, pipes, blunts, etc with the people he's smoking with, while smoking in each other's faces so it's a literal 100% certainty that he will get covid doing this eventually

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

my mom is concerned that im masking my kids too much and its keeping them from building their immune system against other viruses
lol even with masking my toddler is doing a fine job of bringing home random fomite transmitted poo poo every couple months since sept 21'

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I miss sitting in a room and smoking weed with a bunch of my friends at once. I feel like I've aged out of doing that though, like even before the pandemic it wasn't something I particularly felt like doing much anymore. I mean first of all I go through weed way faster that way. an ounce will last me for like 5 weeks these days, way longer than it used to. but I'd also have to get blasted with covid particles to smoke with other people? gently caress that I have video games to play in my cave.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

U-DO Burger posted:

my mom is concerned that im masking my kids too much and its keeping them from building their immune system against other viruses

This is the biggest bullshit. Just playing around outside is gonna gently caress with their immune system plenty.

I also assume your mom fundamentally doesn't understand that various vaccine shots are literally beefing up your immune system.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Saucer Hovers posted:

pig gas and forest fire smog etc NOT RELEVANT to this thread

lol give me a break. having carts with both is practical for lots of us.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:getin:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I do billing and coding for a major US hospital chain and within the last few days thousands of accounts that were on hold for being COVID related and billed to the government are now getting dumped into the billing system and statements are being sent out for everyone who came in uninsured. our call center is inundated with people who can’t afford any of this. Lol?
:rubby:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

he's not just taking his mask off, he's sharing bowls, pipes, blunts, etc with the people he's smoking with, while smoking in each other's faces so it's a literal 100% certainty that he will get covid doing this eventually
yeah to this point look at hollywood and entertainment industry
have fun scrolling this list https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/pictures/stars-with-covid-19-2022-celebs-who-tested-positive-for-coronavirus/
they're all sucking & loving & smoking & chilling and they all got covid
and that's just the celebs, not the workers supporting it all that go unknown and unannounced
your SO is playing with loving fire

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

I’m really sorry. I’d never give a stranger relationship advice but your husband prioritizing his weed friends over y’all’s safety seems like a negative directional indicator in regards to your marriage.

empty whippet box posted:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

dr ding is saying stupid poo poo about how dystopian Shanghai is again

I don’t get it. what does actual covid response look like to him
oh no a government response!!
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1509409031307337728
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1509182808173989889
but also
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1509478938321559554
:rubby:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ahahaha that little guy rules

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/gregggonsalves/status/1509690719618965511?s=20&t=rUkqZEtLziSgSsmfLk7iRQ

people are going to start legit culling the immunocompromised and elderly, swedish style

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

silicone thrills posted:

https://twitter.com/gregggonsalves/status/1509690719618965511?s=20&t=rUkqZEtLziSgSsmfLk7iRQ

people are going to start legit culling the immunocompromised and elderly, swedish style

lol

I think they mean "don't grow up"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Salt Fish posted:

I think they mean "don't grow up"
gently caress

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

Should we really be putting wheelchair ramps on all these buildings just for the small portion of Americans who use a wheelchair?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pink Mist posted:

Should we really be putting wheelchair ramps on all these buildings just for the small portion of Americans who use a wheelchair?

Gosh why do we put brail on anything? those blind idiots should just suck it up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Should we really be putting airbags and seatbelts in cars for the small number of cars that get into wrecks? It just drives up the cost of cars for everyone else, needlessly

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

This is the biggest bullshit. Just playing around outside is gonna gently caress with their immune system plenty.

I also assume your mom fundamentally doesn't understand that various vaccine shots are literally beefing up your immune system.

Does anyone have good articles on this? I mean about the myths of "training-up" the immune system by strong exposure to all possible infections? Not for me, but for my colleagues whose arguments is constantly "I am so healthy (with regard to infections) because I never took too much precautions in my life" (and not the fact that they are living the most privileged life with regards to living conditions, contact with nasty germs, contact with a restricted number of people, ...).

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

new variant just dropped: https://deadline.com/2022/03/new-xe-covid-variant-omicron-most-transmissible-1234992060/

quote:

New Mutant “XE” Omicron Variant May Be The Most Transmissible Version Of Covid Yet, According To WHO

The CDC announced this week that the BA.2 Omicron variant, which is reportedly 30% more transmissible than the original BA.1 Omicron strain — has become dominant among new cases sequenced in the United States. That’s a startling rise for a variant that was less than 1% of all sequences as recently as January. But, just as Americans are hearing about BA.2, there’s already a newer, even more transmissible variant on the rise.

There are actually three new variants that have been given designations. According to a recently-released report from the UK Health Services Agency, the two being called XD and XF are combinations of Delta and BA.1, or so-called “Deltacron” strains, which have been talked about for months but made no significant inroads in any country.

XD is present in several European countries, but has not been detected in the UK, according to the report. XF caused a small cluster in the UK but has not been detected there since February 15. The variant of greater concern, it seems, is the one dubbed XE.

Like the other two new arrivals, XE is a recombinant strain, meaning it is made up of two previously-distinct variants. But it is not a Deltacron mix. XE is actually made up of the original Omicron (BA.1) and the newer Omicron (BA.2) which has taken over in the U.S.

The World Health Organization issued a report yesterday with some preliminary findings about XE.

“The XE recombinant was first detected in the United Kingdom on 19 January and >600 sequences have been reported and confirmed since,” reads the WHO document. “Early-day estimates indicate a community growth rate advantage of ~10% as compared to BA.2, however this finding requires further confirmation.”

Further confirmation is getting more difficult by the day, according to WHO, which registered concern this week at what it calls “the recent significant reduction in SARS-CoV-2 testing by several Member States. Data are becoming progressively less representative, less timely, and less robust. This inhibits our collective ability to track where the virus is, how it is spreading and how it is evolving: information and analyses that remain critical to effectively end the acute phase of the pandemic.”

Last week’s briefing from the UK Health Services Agency reinforces some of the WHO report’s assertions and urges caution about jumping to conclusions. One difference between the two documents is that the WHO data and analysis seems to be more recent.

From the UK HSA briefing:

quote:

XE shows evidence of community transmission within England, although it is currently less >1% of total sequenced cases. Early growth rates for XE were not significantly different from BA.2, but using the most recent data up to 16 March 2022, XE has a growth rate 9.8% above that of BA.2. As this estimate has not remained consistent as new data have been added, it cannot yet be interpreted as an estimate of growth advantage for the recombinant. Numbers were too small for the XE recombinant to be analysed by region.

To be clear, XE only accounts for a tiny fraction of cases worldwide. That may change, given that XE is thought to be about 10% more transmissible than the already more-transmissible BA.2. That means it may be roughly 43% more transmissible than the original Omicron that savaged the globe last winter.

But a new wave of infections from the now-dominant BA.2 has not materialized, even as restrictions have been eased. So hopefully the trend with XE, should it out-compete BA.2, will be similar. Only time — and good surveillance — will tell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Lefty_Jew/status/1509757157125738496

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lol

quote:

But a new wave of infections from the now-dominant BA.2 has not materialized, even as restrictions have been eased. So hopefully the trend with XE, should it out-compete BA.2, will be similar. Only time — and good surveillance — will tell.

Everything's going great!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I know the spreadsheet is a meme but really covid is such an obvious line in the sand for relationships. Like if your SO isn’t worried about giving you something that could kill you how do you process that and coexist with them? And what are the odds they’re ready to be your caretaker if you get disabled by covid? What is your life insurance situation? Have you planned your finances if one or both of you get covid? Are your advanced directives in order? All that’s basic “spending the rest of your life with someone” stuff but if you’re not on the same page with how you both approach covid how to you figure all this out?

This isn’t directed at weed buddy OP, just thinking in general about couples who have this divide. One of the first things my husband and I did at the start of the pandemic was reiterate that we were going to look out for each other and I don’t understand what the point of any of this is if it’s not to look out for each other.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol wonder if it gets named or if all further variants will forever be mutant omicrons

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

from XD

to XE

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Loki Kunti posted:

Does anyone have good articles on this? I mean about the myths of "training-up" the immune system by strong exposure to all possible infections? Not for me, but for my colleagues whose arguments is constantly "I am so healthy (with regard to infections) because I never took too much precautions in my life" (and not the fact that they are living the most privileged life with regards to living conditions, contact with nasty germs, contact with a restricted number of people, ...).

Unless you are gonna go take your kid and drop them off in a fuckin jungle, nothing you do is probably going to make a huge difference in urban/suburban america

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043252/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22003882/

like exposing kids to microbes and bacteria and adults is what strengthens their immune system but that includes their parents and other household members. They don't need a bunch of fuckin rando's breathing in their faces to trigger anything.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

comrade xe

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Lacrosse posted:

new variant just dropped

Those are nice but I really think Deltacron is where it’s gonna be and by “be” I mean “end humanity”

Pink Mist posted:

My ex boss was really resistant to ADA compliance and did the bare minimum in building the new office and maybe did some bribes idk but I remember having an argument with him and my Libertarian co-worker and telling them that maybe these things seem pointless but what happens when you hire a disabled worker and they can’t reach anything and they both gave me smug weasely answers that amounted to “we just won’t hire disabled people” and long story short like 3 months later my Libertarian co-worker became disabled and wasn’t able to reach anything in the office.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Pink Mist posted:

i mean, only if they're going to use it for a while.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

holy poo poo that robot has a pilot somewhere and that’s a job

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I know the spreadsheet is a meme but really covid is such an obvious line in the sand for relationships. Like if your SO isn’t worried about giving you something that could kill you how do you process that and coexist with them? And what are the odds they’re ready to be your caretaker if you get disabled by covid? What is your life insurance situation? Have you planned your finances if one or both of you get covid? Are your advanced directives in order? All that’s basic “spending the rest of your life with someone” stuff but if you’re not on the same page with how you both approach covid how to you figure all this out?

This isn’t directed at weed buddy OP, just thinking in general about couples who have this divide. One of the first things my husband and I did at the start of the pandemic was reiterate that we were going to look out for each other and I don’t understand what the point of any of this is if it’s not to look out for each other.

If one partner's open biden and the other is planning life insurance and advanced directives, there's a big mismatch going on. I'm not sure I'd take things as far as end-of-life planning myself, but I definitely wouldn't just tell my partner to gently caress off and go hang out to spit in my friends' mouths either. Covid really has a way of exposing how much people care about each other.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Tzen posted:

from XD

lmaoing myself to death

making GBS threads myself to death

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

If one partner's open biden and the other is planning life insurance and advanced directives, there's a big mismatch going on. I'm not sure I'd take things as far as end-of-life planning myself, but I definitely wouldn't just tell my partner to gently caress off and go hang out to spit in my friends' mouths either. Covid really has a way of exposing how much people care about each other.

We did advance directives after reading several stories about couples who got covid at the same time and were incapacitated at the same time so they ended up in vent limbo while their family fought over how long to continue care and we both agreed we didn’t want to take the chance of that being us and that it was probably something we should have done just in case for non covid reasons anyway but mostly because of the horrors of vent limbo and not being able to trust our families to make those decisions.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

It's really cool how every one is more transmissible then the last! Love it

Edit: New Meshuggah album just dropped if anybody needs some good doom soundtrack for the latest doom

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kXCFEMNL8Ks91r-JkQU-8UYycTrtB1PBM

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Apr 1, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

My brain is pouring one out over every motherfucker wearing cloth masks

how do you still not know CoV-2 is viable in aerosols at this point

my god the public really is MINIMALLY informed

You can’t say that.

Platystemon posted:

jetz0r posted:

Holy poo poo, the estimated personal protection for masks is 20-30%. That means the average mask in practical use is completely loving awful at protecting you from the anti-mask/anti-vax people that will be sharing your air anywhere indoors. Keeping yourself safe really does require a good, high filtration mask and good discipline.

Yes.

It is criminal that intelligent and well‐meaning persons such as yourself were intentionally kept in the dark about this.

Platystemon posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/default.html

P.S.: The intended function of cloth masks is “they look badass and make money for Etsy while providing cover for politicians”. They’re not good at respiratory protection for anyone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

genesplicer posted:

While cloth masks are not as effective as N95 masks, you are implying they are completely ineffective. Please stop spreading misinformation. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
I unironically appreciate having it in my rap sheet for easy access.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fool of sound posted:

"A poster didn't know a fact that was widely published in CDC sources" is not "intentionally concealed". Similarly "masks are much more effective at protecting others than yourself" is not "masks are worthless and exist only to provide cover for politicians". User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Platystemon posted:

You can’t say that.

This is such a great sequence of posting. I love it. loving smooth brains over there in the other forum