Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 43" Neo G7, much like every other 43" monitor with a VA panel, is pretty mediocre. The biggest drawbacks are black smear and bad response times across the board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13j6Q2z-RiY

But for $500, I dunno. May be worth it if you just want a big 4K display.

The LG 48" OLED is using the 2022 WOLED panel. Essentially, we're looking at a 48" C2 without the TV stuff, with a more restrictive brightness limiter (because LG is afraid of static content on monitors), and displayport inputs. $700 for that is a solid deal but nothing too crazy. (edit: and the monitor has a matte coating. here's the c2 tv review and here's the 48gq900 review from rtings if you want to compare the two. biggest drawback is the 130 nits brightness at 100% white—that's quite dim)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Branch Nvidian posted:

The 43" G7, and I assume the LG as well, came out in Q1 of this year so they're probably about to get replaced in a few months when CES happens is my guess.

See, about that. Because I been eyeballing the PG42UQ for two years now, and THAT thing is going on two years old, only JUST had its firmware poo poo fixed THIS year, and is still close to $1300 of its original launch $1500.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 19, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Asus is probably the stingiest monitor manufacturer with discounts, so that's not a surprise. The PG32UQX is still over $2000.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Welcome to the portable monitor club! I'm honestly surprised why more people don't make use of them. I just upgraded the one I use as a secondary display on this machine last night, and am up to owning 5 portable monitors now, although the one I replaced is slightly damaged.
I love portable monitors

I had one 15" 1920x1200 one for a couple years and I realized they had gotten dirt cheap so I had bought a second one but I just stupidly managed to break both of them by having them in my luggage when flying and not properly padding them

Apparently 2K ones are also quite cheap now, though, so I just ordered a single 17" one to replace the broken ones

Edit: bonus dubious portable monitor marketing image comedy from amazon

🤔

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 19, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
What's the use case for a portable monitor vs a laptop or a tablet or a steam deck or whatever? Not trying to be snarky I'm just curious what niche is being filled here

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thinking about whether it would make sense to replace my monitor with something that has gsync, my current one is a 10ish year old IPS that still works fine. The possible snag is I play at 1080p/60fps whenever possible. (Using a 3070/some ryzen thing from the same era.)

Do they put the fancy gsync modules in monitors with that resolution these days? I have no idea what fraction of a monitor's total cost the module would be, completely missed the boat on this whole thing until games started gently persuading me to use DLSS.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

What's the use case for a portable monitor vs a laptop or a tablet or a steam deck or whatever? Not trying to be snarky I'm just curious what niche is being filled here

Easier dual monitor setup when traveling with a laptop. Some of them also use PD over USB-C and have built-in batteries so they can help extend the life of a laptop that's not plugged in and also do passthrough power so you have fewer cables overall.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Volcott posted:

Thinking about whether it would make sense to replace my monitor with something that has gsync, my current one is a 10ish year old IPS that still works fine.

I'm slightly confused by your 'snag' - you play at 1080p 60fps because that's what your old monitor does, it doesn't mean that you have to be stuck with that for any potential new monitor.

Any new half decent gaming focused monitor you buy with gsync is gonna be at least 144hz these days. You can absolutely get a 1080p one, or you could graduate up to a 1440p screen and with a 3070 you'd be able to push over 60fps in nearly all games anyway, while having more screen real estate.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you're going to be away somewhere for a few days and want more than just one small laptop display it's a very easy way to get that.

At home I just use one 32" 4k monitor now rather than multiple monitors, but there isn't really any good way to get anything close to that experience with just a laptop unless you buy a giant laptop with a 17" 4k display and also have very good vision

If you toss a wireless keyboard and mouse and a portable monitor in your suitcase you have an experience similar to using a desktop with a big monitor or multiple monitors at the cost of adding a few pounds to your suitcase.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 19, 2023

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Figure I should get with the times and go with the 1440? I've stuck with 1080 this long because it looked good to me, and I figured staying at that resolution would give the GPU more juice to do fancy stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volcott posted:

Figure I should get with the times and go with the 1440? I've stuck with 1080 this long because it looked good to me, and I figured staying at that resolution would give the GPU more juice to do fancy stuff.
If you don't need a high refresh rate monitor there's no reason to buy a 2k one now.

OTOH, assuming you want high refresh rate monitor, I think 4k ones are starting to become more available/cheaper, so even if your gpu can't play games decently at 4k, I think if you've waited this long maybe you're better off waiting a tiny bit longer so you can get a 4k one even if you can only take advantage of the full resolution for non-game stuff?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Volcott posted:

Absolutely and I imagine everyone itt would say the same. If you've been used to 1080p 60hz with no gsync, a 1440p high framerate gsync monitor is going to be a huge improvement and like I said the 3070 is enough to hit at least 60fps at 1440p in nearly all games with the settings cranked. The benefit of gsync is the monitor refresh rate changes to match the framerate your GPU is spitting out, so it looks and plays a lot smoother.

Also you mentioned DLSS - having a higher resolution monitor gives DLSS more native pixels to play with when it's upscaling, so you can get better looking results

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mystes posted:

If you don't need a high refresh rate monitor there's no reason to buy a 2k one now.

OTOH, assuming you want high refresh rate monitor, I think 4k ones are starting to become more available/cheaper, so even if your gpu can't play games decently at 4k, I think if you've waited this long maybe you're better off waiting a tiny bit longer so you can get a 4k one even if you can only take advantage of the full resolution for non-game stuff?

Sorry but this just seems like straight up bad advice. The performance hit up to 4k is considerable. The only reason they don't think they want a high refresh rate monitor is because they haven't used a high refresh rate monitor and haven't bought a screen in 10 years so don't know that they're absolutely the standard now.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Volcott posted:

Do they put the fancy gsync modules in monitors with that resolution these days? I have no idea what fraction of a monitor's total cost the module would be, completely missed the boat on this whole thing until games started gently persuading me to use DLSS.

Note that you don't need G-Sync with 3070, it supports Freesync and standard VRR.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sorry but this just seems like straight up bad advice. The performance hit up to 4k is considerable. The only reason they don't think they want a high refresh rate monitor is because they haven't used a high refresh rate monitor and haven't bought a screen in 10 years so don't know that they're absolutely the standard now.
I'm not saying they should play games in 4k, I'm saying if they've waited this long they may want to wait another 6 months for a 4k high refresh rate monitor rather than buying a 2k monitor now, so they can use the 4k resolution outside of games and still have 2k with high refresh rate in games.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I'd probably just want to inch up to the 1440, baby steps and all that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mystes posted:

I'm not saying they should play games in 4k, I'm saying if they've waited this long they may want to wait another 6 months for a 4k high refresh rate monitor rather than buying a 2k monitor now, so they can use the 4k resolution outside of games and still have 2k with high refresh rate in games.

Why should they wait 6 months to buy something they absolutely don't want or need based on the hypothetical that they might become a bit cheaper? They never said anything about wanting to use the monitor for anything other than gaming and given they've been happy with 1080p until now, huge pixel real estate for productivity or whatever clearly isn't a priority.

Also what do you mean they can still have 2k on a 4k screen? Are you confused about resolution scaling? While possible, it's going to look bad because 1440p (2k) doesn't scale well to a 4k screen. 1080p does because 4k has double the pixels along the X and Y axes.

But anyway I think this is all totally irrelevant for Volcott to worry about or pay any attention to - with a 3070 and using their monitor mainly for gaming, they're 100% the perfect target market for the common 1440p 144/165hz screen recommendations itt

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they only play games and don't need 4k then obviously they shouldn't wait to get 4k. That wasn't clear from their original post and I'm not psychic.

Nowadays for games there are lots of options for scaling that aren't just outputting to the monitor and letting it do its thing, though, so I was just saying that if you might want 4k for non-game stuff that could be a consideration since 4k high fps monitors are getting much more available/cheaper.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I also use them like mystes said, taking them and a wireless keyboard and mouse along while traveling allows me to replicate a desktop experience wherever I am, and set things up much more ergonomically than just using a laptop.

The other and more common use I make of them is they are fantastic as second monitors. On my desktops I run a big 1440p monitor (32" on main machine, 27" on secondary) and then mount a portable monitor on a monitor arm as my secondary display. They have a tiny footprint, I have cables which allow me to just have two USB-C cables coming off them, and the display quality is surprisingly good. They are absolutely perfect for keeping Discord on while I do other stuff, and for having maps or walkthroughs on while I'm gaming.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Volcott posted:

I'd probably just want to inch up to the 1440, baby steps and all that.

buy this one

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Asus is probably the stingiest monitor manufacturer with discounts, so that's not a surprise. The PG32UQX is still over $2000.

Jesus gently caress. Okay, my quest for a 42" OLED without busting the bank continues.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Butterfly Valley posted:

I use a portable monitor with my desktop so that I game on a reclining couch at 4K120. I used to stream the desktop to a laptop, but using a panel gives me HDR, G-Sync, and no latency.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for that - I just ordered one. I had to take one of my 27" monitors to work, so this should be a nice replacement.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What's the latest best options in portable monitors? I remember there was an LG one that was a decent résolution at 15in last year... Anything new out?

I have a bit of work travel coming up and a second monitor would be great

Hmm LG Gram +view was the one, currently £200 in the UK

https://www.lg.com/uk/laptops/16mr70/

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 20, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

So there is also the Lenovo Thinkvision M14D which is, obviously, a 14-incher but still 16:10. They're basically both the same price here at 250ish CHF

I guess 16in could be a bit more annoying to have with you than the 14in.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I was looking to grab a basic 1080p monitor for a side computer but realized that it's been like 5+ years since my main computer got a monitor update. I currently have a Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27". If I could get a better 1440p monitor for cheap that'd be great, but I am a dumb old man and can't tell if the one you linked is better or not. Mine's listed for like 700 dollars, but I can't tell if that's because it's really good or just simply rare because it's old.

The dream would be upgrade my current monitor and pass it off to the other computer for cheap. Are there any amazing black friday deals going on?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Kaedric posted:

I was looking to grab a basic 1080p monitor for a side computer but realized that it's been like 5+ years since my main computer got a monitor update. I currently have a Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27". If I could get a better 1440p monitor for cheap that'd be great, but I am a dumb old man and can't tell if the one you linked is better or not. Mine's listed for like 700 dollars, but I can't tell if that's because it's really good or just simply rare because it's old.

It's the latter, the one I linked is also a few years old but just going for cheap. I think it's similar to the one I have on my current PC just with less ports. It's good but it'd be a sidegrade with what you currently have.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, my primary monitor is an XB271HU, I've had it 6+ years, and it's still doing great and can't be cost-effectively improved upon for 27" 1440p.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

consider yourself lucky, my first XB271HU had the panel de-laminate itself (replaced under warranty) and on the second one the HDMI input died (out of warranty)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe a stupid question, but my dad wants a new monitor -- and he should, because his current one is around 10 years old and it's never looked great. He absolutely does not game, but he does do photo editing. Unlike the PC itself, is there any appreciable difference between a "gaming monitor" and a monitor that looks good for everything else?

I suppose high refresh rate wouldn't necessarily be as important, but I kinda feel like it's a good thing to have anyway. It just looks better in general. And most of the other things I can think of that I'd look for in a "gaming monitor" seem like they'd be good for other stuff too. I guess "response time" also wouldn't matter, though I have no idea if that's a thing anymore.

Really the only difference I can think of is that I might be able to set him up for 4K, since he wouldn't really need to worry about a performance hit. So in a way, kind of the opposite of everything else about the PC where the specs won't matter as much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Color Accuracy.

How deep into photo editing is he? You can easily pass the $3k range for a calibrated 32" covering DCI-P3

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

M_Gargantua posted:

Color Accuracy.

How deep into photo editing is he? You can easily pass the $3k range for a calibrated 32" covering DCI-P3

I mean... it's very important to him but he's never spent extravagant amounts of money on a monitor, and I don't think he's about to do it now. We're still talking consumer-grade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The AOC Q27G3XMN is $249 at Amazon currently, which is insane for the specs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8ZJKPWC?th=1

27" 1440p 180Hz VA LCD with a 336-zone mini-LED backlight and HDR1000 certification. RTINGS has bought one for review, but it may be a few weeks before they get to it. The user impressions I've heard are mostly positive, though. Apparently the VA smear is better than average, and the HDR looks really good most of the time, though apparently the bloom is somewhat noticeable with very dark scenes or dark-mode desktop stuff. This seems like a fantastic value if you're looking for a budget HDR experience.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 20, 2023

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The gamer aesthetic causes me psychic damage but those are pretty good deals.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The AOC Q27G3XMN is $249 at Amazon currently, which is insane for the specs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8ZJKPWC?th=1

27" 1440p 180Hz VA LCD with a 336-zone mini-LED backlight and HDR1000 certification. RTINGS has bought one for review, but it may be a few weeks before they get to it. The user impressions I've heard are mostly positive, though. Apparently the VA smear is better than average, and the HDR looks really good most of the time, though apparently the bloom is somewhat noticeable with very dark scenes or dark-mode desktop stuff. This seems like a fantastic value if you're looking for a budget HDR experience.

Just as an FYI, there are quite a few complaints related to color accuracy/tone on Reddit and other forums, as well as stuck/dying pixels over time.

It could just be due to initial production QA/QC challenges, and it still seems like a phenomenal value, but it might be best to wait until Rtings does their review.

Isn’t Acer coming out with a 1440p mini-LED display also soon?

Edit:

Looks like it did debut, but availability seems limited? B&H has it for $260. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._saAsPzEALw_wcB

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 20, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.costco.com/acer-nitro-34-class-uwqhd-curved-gaming-monitor.product.4000157379.html

34-inch VA panel, 3440 x 1440, 165Hz, claimed 1ms response time.

$249

If only it weren't curved.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 20, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.costco.com/acer-nitro-34-class-uwqhd-curved-gaming-monitor.product.4000157379.html

VA panel, 3440 x 1440, 165Hz, claimed 1ms response time.

$249

If only it weren't curved.

It might be cheaper in person too; I have an Insta-cart option when I looked at it, so at least one of my local Warehouses has it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The 27", 1440p 165Hz and 24.5", 1080p 240Hz HyperX Armada monitors are $199 and $130 at Micro Center right now, respectively

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

My work has sent me two different monitors, a few years ago I got a Dell P2419HC which I've been using, plugging into my laptop for work then into my PC in the evenings. My work recently sent me a second monitor, an AOC 27B2H, would this one be better quality, or just a bit bigger?

Would I benefit at all from investing some cash into a larger monitor for gaming, and if so could I get something meaningfully better for 2-300, or would I need to get to 4-500 or more? If there's not a big upgrade available I'm debating putting the money towards upgrading something else on the PC, maybe my RX 570 or my i5-6600k / motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Alright I'm trying to decide on a monitor for black friday and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the best/worst value out of these options:

LG 32GN650-B for $227

LG 32GP760-B for $277

AOC C32G2 for $200

MSI G32CQ4 for $210

Samsung G55A for $270

Dell S3222DGM for $240