Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Alan Smithee posted:

Do you get grandfathered if you have the season pass?

Hopefully yes, but that's again something that we don't know and probably won't until right before it's released. Bamco is super tight-lipped about things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Are you asking whether you get a discount or a free upgrade? We don't know about a discount but you will have to buy it regardless.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I know it's supposedly happening, but I still find it difficult to believe that FROM would commit the ultimate sin of splitting the playerbase with optional paid content.

Speaking of sinh, have they changed his AI in some patch? First DLC run he did nothing but his aerial sweeping fire attacks, constantly, and was by far my least favorite boss not just in the DLC but of Dark Souls II as a whole. I had no problems dodging the fireballs but gently caress the repetition of dodging a 2-minute long series of sweeping AoE attacks that can't be rolled through with i-frames. That was then, but now he's like a completely different boss for some reason. I spent the past hour fighting sinh and he did the sweeping AoE attack twice in that time. As I'm learning how to bait sinh into the good attack patterns, I still have no clue what I was doing earlier that could cause him to do the fire sweeping attack constantly.

Regardless sinh is a really fun, intense bossfight that might outdo even kalameet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's just inconsistent, I've had him stick around on land for a long time in some fights and others he just flies around nuking me from orbit. Or trying to, that fireball is easy to dodge.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Sanctum posted:

Regardless sinh is a really fun, intense bossfight that might outdo even kalameet.

The music is intense and the boss is almost intimidating, certainly a breath of fresh air because he isn't a humanoid if nothing else, the boss fight itself though... not so good.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sinh is very good, and part of the reason is that it actually feels like fighting a proper dragon. It's frustrating for speedrunners, sure, but I don't think catering to their needs makes for good game design.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alan Smithee posted:

The free upgrade to the DX9 (aka current version) is like a free DLC 4. You'll need to buy DLC 1 to 3 as normal in that version, they aren't suddenly free.

However, if you buy the DX11 version of Scholar of the First Sin, you get the first three DLCs (the Crowns) free as part of the game.

It's like Deus Ex: Human Revolution's transition to the Director's Cut.

Basically, if there's no discount, people will be paying for both the base game and the DLC twice. The people who never bought the DLC get it "free" by buying the DX11 version of Scholar of the First Sin.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It wouldn't make any sense to give people with Season Pass the new updated version for free because it never said it's pass for all the upcoming content, just a convenient collection of the 3 crowns DLCs. Sure it would nice but you're not entitled to it in any way.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel entitled though, that means something right?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

It wouldn't make any sense to give people with Season Pass the new updated version for free because it never said it's pass for all the upcoming content, just a convenient collection of the 3 crowns DLCs. Sure it would nice but you're not entitled to it in any way.

But it would make perfect sense for there to be a discount, because as the post right above yours states, part of what you're paying for in the updated version is the three crowns DLCs. Which you have already paid for if you bought the season pass. It's actually not unreasonable to feel entitled to things that you've already paid for.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Selling the new version for 50 bucks where the new version contains all three DLCs sounds ok to me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cathair posted:

But it would make perfect sense for there to be a discount, because as the post right above yours states, part of what you're paying for in the updated version is the three crowns DLCs. Which you have already paid for if you bought the season pass. It's actually not unreasonable to feel entitled to things that you've already paid for.

Not necessarily. Depends on how extensive the changes are. Remember that one of the sets of changes based on performance (And thus not included in the free patch) is enemy placement. So if they overhaul the enemy layouts it would make the areas quite different from vanilla.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I for one can't wait to rebuy the game for full price to get an iterated game experience and slightly upgraded visuals, no sarcasm. I mean it, just try to stop me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'll only pay for Scholar / DX11 version in a few years when it's 20 bucks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But then you'll miss out on grorious matchumaking

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0RuUq86HHs

Just in case any of you are still making excuses for using a katana in PVP.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just got this game and I'm gonna start out with something like a DEX bows and spear/shields character. I normally do sword n board in these games (and I normally did in DS1). Am I gonna get in trouble for this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I just got this game and I'm gonna start out with something like a DEX bows and spear/shields character. I normally do sword n board in these games (and I normally did in DS1). Am I gonna get in trouble for this?

Nope. Dex weapons are quite good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Yeah keep it a secret or the police'll getcha.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Everyone should always have a bow, regardless of what kind of build their character is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

For your first trip through I'd suggest a regular old upgraded Rapier and your shield instead of a spear -- better DPS especially against bosses and you don't get any really worthwhile spears (except arguably the Heide spear) until later on. Resist the temptation to get a greatshiled -- 16 strength is where you should stop (use the Drangleic shield early and get the Royal Kite when you can -- at the end of the game upgrade to King's or Defender's shield at your discretion).

Get:

Enough stats for your weapon
Enough strength for your shield
20 Endurance
20 Vigor (for HP)
Enough ADP that your Agility number goes to 100
10 Attunement so you can have one spell -- a fireball or later the pyro spell that heals you that's excellent
40 dex

Stay in light armor (tattered/pryo set, wanderer set and bandit set are good if you don't like what you start in) and don't bring your Vitality (the one that boosts equip load) over 9. In the DLC area after the Rotten you'll find a ring that makes doing this more than worthwhile.

IMO the best bow for PVE is the short bow because it's the lightest and fires the fastest and uses almost no stamina. I think people who are actually trying to do damage with a bow (CHICKENS) use the Black Bow though.

I'd probably start as a Swordsman.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 5, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013
For a dex build the Black Bow would actually be better though, since it's 0.5 weight lighter. That's 0.5 weight that could go to more fashion souls.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

will take a while but infusing rapiers with poison wrecks poo poo, even for larger enemies. Use it in conjunction with poison arrows/knives and spells if you happen to dual class

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sheep-Goats posted:

IMO the best bow for PVE is the short bow because it's the lightest and fires the fastest and uses almost no stamina. I think people who are actually trying to do damage with a bow (CHICKENS) use the Black Bow though.

The Hunter's Blackbow also has really low stamina use and a fast draw. There's pretty much no good reason not to use it on a Dex build.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Black Bow is just as fast and does significantly more damage than the shortbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37sxuZFDN7E

Shortbow is ~.04 seconds faster per 4 shots, not much of an advantage.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've finally got around to playing the DLC, and I really think it's worth it to do it in a New Game. I felt like a lot of the complaints I've seen about items (like the Drakeblood Greatsword) are coming from a NG+ mindset where people already have everything, but playing through as a new guy and using mostly what I find has felt really good. I basically built around using the Drakeblood Greatsword, which may admittedly be kind of crappy overall, but Fume Knight went down with hardly any more trouble than any other boss. Elana was much harder for me, but I may have just been too early in the playthrough at that point.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The real lovely thing about the Drakeblood Greatsword is that it requires friggin Petrified Dragon Bone are you serious?! That makes it extremely undesirable, especially since the Loyce Greatsword can do its job better for Twinkling and only requires you going through the Frigid Outskirts instead of off the side of the road like some kind of peasant.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gologle posted:

The real lovely thing about the Drakeblood Greatsword is that it requires friggin Petrified Dragon Bone are you serious?! That makes it extremely undesirable, especially since the Loyce Greatsword can do its job better for Twinkling and only requires you going through the Frigid Outskirts instead of off the side of the road like some kind of peasant.
That's definitely true. It feels like it would make more sense if it had some gimmick involving dragons, i.e. either being better against them or reaching some "true form" by killing a dragon with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can get so much easy petrified dragon bones now though, just murder salamander t-rexes in Sunken King. They have a really high drop rate for them and they respawn, so you can amass quite a pile before they go extinct and you have to ascetic the area.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can get so much easy petrified dragon bones now though, just murder salamander t-rexes in Sunken King. They have a really high drop rate for them and they respawn, so you can amass quite a pile before they go extinct and you have to ascetic the area.

speaking of poison, dragon butts are susceptible to poison! If you are a magic user black fog that poo poo

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

If you do decide to use a thrusting weapon, head to the cathedral in Heide and kill the boss there for a ring that boosts thrust counter damage. The proc for counter damage is "whenever an enemy is in an attack animation" so it's effectively just a free damage boost.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

If you do decide to use a thrusting weapon, head to the cathedral in Heide and kill the boss there for a ring that boosts thrust counter damage. The proc for counter damage is "whenever an enemy is in an attack animation" so it's effectively just a free damage boost.

It seems like it goes up and down sometimes though, like depending on where exactly they are in the animation. If you get them at the tail end then it's not going to add as much as if you get them in the middle of a swing, or so it appears.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gologle posted:

But then you'll miss out on grorious matchumaking

Jesus Christ this post owns

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Jesus Christ this post owns

In a post nine-ownleven world, this post is not bad.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
If there's one fundamental mechanic this game does nothing to explain, it's how enemies & bosses have more health, poise, and resistances when the host has summons.

One thing I never realized until today: If you send the phantom home, the enemies in your world stay in their buffed up state. What's more, quitting and reloading can reset them to their normal difficulty. I'm not sure if this applies to bosses as well, that's kind of hard for me to test.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That mechanic has been around since Demon's Souls.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

Very true.

Does it explain this in game also? Or just a wiki like dodge I-frames?

EDIT: vvv I will totally grant boss health increase being noticeable with a summon. The others are more 'well, it's IMPLIED, kind of' for poise and such increases, when it comes to "Well, if the boss is harder anyways then...". gently caress if I could have ever worked out just HOW badly dodge rolls were reliant on Adaptability and such without a wiki (Holy poo poo I start WORSE than the fat roll in I-frames even if I'm naked flipping? No wonder I've been misjudging dodges so badly)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 6, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

Very true.

Does it explain this in game also? Or just a wiki like dodge I-frames?

It doesn't explain it but it's a big enough change to be pretty obvious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That doesn't really make any difference to his point either way, though. Even if it was a mechanic in those games, it wasn't explained there either. Personally I think it's sort of common sense if you think about it for a bit, because most bosses would be pretty easy with their base health if you had more than one person, but I can see how it wouldn't click when you're in the middle of fighting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I never noticed normal enemies having higher health with summons in DS1. Was the boss resistance shenanigans around in the earlier games?